No backstory

>no backstory
>not even mentioned until midway through the second movie in a small scene

How did this work where Snoke failed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KFIrBw4es-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Snoke fails because this is a continuation story and in universe it seems highly unlikely there is some super strong sith character that exists alongside the events of the previous films without ever being a mention of him.

you said it yourself

snoke was introduced in the very first film of the new trilogy as the apparent big bad. different situation

he's mentioned in a new hope

Fpbp

>How did this work where Snoke failed?
Snoke isn't a fail. Also, here's a (You), faggot

Ian McDiarmid

Because his actor gave a real and entertaining performance and wasn't just a CGI puppet.

Mentioned in first film by Tarkin, shown in hologram form in Empire talking to Vader, shown in-full in Jedi.

Get your facts straight before you try to argue your bullshit.

We knew very little about the world of SW back then and you wasn't important to you how a big evil empire came around or who was leading it. It was just the setting of the movie and you accepted it. Whereas now we do know a lot about SW universe and we do want to know what the fuck First Order is.

>everyone like JJ and Rian and other talking up Snoke
>internet likely works out correctly that he's Plagueis
>oh shit they know already
>just kill him off then they'll never expect that
BRAVO

The Emperor was mentioned in ANH. When Tarkin talked about how the senate was made obsolete and the regional governours took over

Snoke is such a ridiculious and shitty name though.
Emperor sounds intimidating as fuck and it implies that it's a dude you dont want to fuck with cause he's literally the emperor of the galaxy.
Snoke just sounds pathetic, like the 4 year old son of Disney's CEO would pick
>inb4 Sheev
Doesnt count since it was invented in some garbage EU novel that nobody read

because you basically wait 2 movies for the appearance of a key figure in an established universe, and he fucking delivers with every line

snoke on the other hand is a literally who in a literally who organisation and gets btfo because he's so S M R T

>forgets the three prequel movies explaining his ascension

how lucky

He's the big bad until the end, Snorke is killed on the middle of the story

Because millenials have to have everything explained to them because they have been spoiled with rediculous amounts of details about shows and movies thru the internet and bullions of cape shit movies and garbage like game of thrones. Now they think they are entitled to a backstory for everything.

It seems clear to me that they implied that Snoke was Darth Plagueis, also you never hear his Sith name.
While say openly that he was Plagueis during the movie 95% of the audience wouldn't even catch the reference. Probably in some comic book or similar they will address that

He was chad

tfw Gen Xers are basically responsible for the ST being a shitty nostalgia wank that actually shits on the OT.

Hes not sith

what is this

is that a lightsaber how did this happen?

Already confirmed to not be sith by the visual guide.

After Kylo kills him he literally say "No more Sith or Jedi"

Well he clearly wasn't a jedi, or he would've become a force ghost.

>no, I am Snoke the White

kylo uses the force to start it and cut him in half

Thank god he wasn't. Plagueis is mysterious character in the PT. The way Sidious talks of him, he sounds imposing but Snoke was a really generic bad guy with generic appearance. Plagueis is better left being an ominous myth than turned into a generic joke of a character.

>sci fi universe with many alien species
>none of the main characters are aliens
>not even your black magic mystery character is an alien
>he's just a deformed old guy
>he's so deformed you may as well have made him an alien because you can't make the excuse that you didn't make him an alien because it would be too hard to relate to.

>jedi is an ancient religion and no one believes in it anymore
>our emperor looks like an evil wizard and can shoot lightnings from his fingers
The old films weren't that good. No one cared because the special effects were cool.

Wrong. The Emperor was mentioned in ANH. He was slowly built up, while Snoke was in the very first movie and killed off for no reason in the second leaving us without a chief villain.

the sith are a cult, like the jedi
a force user isn't immediatly a sith/jedi. Snoke was a dark force user but he didn't follow the sith religion

Delivery. Palpatine is a real fucking villain. You'd also expect an Empire to have an Emperor at the top.

>leaving us without a chief villain.
Kylo Ren and General Hux you dense moron

>our emperor looks like an evil wizard and can shoot lightnings from his fingers
that's obviously something he doesn't do in public

> seduced Ben Solo to the Dark side
> can use force
> can shot lighting bolt from his hands
> he is not a Sith

Ok

Sheev vader and luke are the only cool things about star wars the family maury povich saga.

this shit reminds me of what 343 did to halo

Because:
Names: The emperor Palpatine VS Great leader Snoke. Bwahahahaha snoke. Come on. Hahahahahaha

Styles: a hooded dark wizard, seeming too old to be even alive with crazy unatural eyes VS generic giant gollum

Reactions of other villains: Being so terrifying that your space nazi officers piss themselves at the mere mention of your name and prefer to deal with a dark paladin who may kill you as a show of discipline than with you VS nobody. Who is Snoke ? Snoke...pfffg....hahahahahaha

Servants: the very definition of the dark paladin VS the foster parent of an angry teenager.

Etc.
Snoke is a joke. Never saw a vilain so useless. These new movies suck so bad in every way...

He still looks like some evil sorcerer, which is funny because of how bureaucratic and modern everything else about the empire was.

Dark side =/= Sith.

huh... so why'd he let them do that or whatever

What I hated most about Smoke was that whole big bad demeanor. Palpatine had that pure seething evil fear about him and true confidence, it's almost believable he could be fucked over by surprise due to hubris. Smoke just seemed to be yelling angrily and being a dick but in a way that showed no confidence at all. His portrayal in TFA was way better. I don't know why we needed to see him in physical form. Or why he needed to be a little bitch.

He's mentioned in A New Hope
The Emperor dissolved the Senate, Tarkin is working for him, etc

Snoke
>stupid name, people make fun of it
>his disciple is a whiny bitch who gets his ass handed to him by a little girl with no prior training
>tries to be too serious
>acts as the main antagonist of the trilogy but has less screentime than tarkin

Sheev
>known as "emperor", sounds badass
>his disciple is vader, a badass who humilliated luke and cut off his hand without even trying
>he's evil and he loves it. He's having fun doing everything he does
>he's the main antagonist of his trilogy, doesn't need to act like a tough guy to seem intimidating

an emo antihero and a literal nobody

With the way movies are made I know it's not what could have happened at all, but TLJ feels like they got mad that people guessed the plot too early so they completely changed it without any thought at the last minute just to ensure nobody would have been "really" right.

Yes. He has Rey’s saber on the arm of his chair. He’s using the force to hold Rey in place so Kylo can decapitate her.

He’s also an expert mind reader so he’s monologuing about how he can’t possibly be betrayed. He then describes Kylo’s thought process. How he’s holding the saber. Thinking about igniting it. Reaching for the button.

Then suddenly he’s sliced in half.

He thought that Kylo was picturing his own saber when really he was using the force to ignite the one of the arm of Snokes chair.

This

It "worked" because you saw it as a child and have nostalgia glasses

Basically this.

>but muh snoke theory. i need answers!

Fucking babies

>lightsaber sitting next to snoke
>kylo turns it around with the force while snoke is talking about how much he sees and how much vision he has
>kylo turns it on
>splits snoke
snoke didn't let him do anything he's just shit

for

>guy who got humiliated by an untrained girl and some muggle
>main villains

Lmaoing at Disney shills.

>While say openly that he was Plagueis during the movie 95% of the audience wouldn't even catch the reference
95%?? You're being generous. More like 99.99%. Literally the only ones who would get that reference are Sup Forums lurkers and actual SW nerds.

It’s like Sherlock all over again.

Kyle tricks Snack, who can read Kyle's mind, into thinking he's going to turn on his lightsaber into Ray's chest, but he instead turns on the lightsaber sitting next to Snack.

Why don't people give credit to the prequels for fleshing out Sheev's story brilliantly? I know most people see the prequels as the story of Anakin's turn to Vader, but for me it's about Sheev's rise to power.

because today in the minds of the marxists who make this being bad is to be a whiny beta male who has bad opinions due to insecurity, hence why both bad guys are this even though it makes for a shit story

Because everyone was new to Star Wars then. When "mystery guy" appears in an established continuity, it raises a bunch of big questions that can't be hand-waved without hurting the greater picture, and insulting the audience.

Captcha: Despatchdhist

But how can he dissolve the senate if he IS the senate?

>less prior story
>first big bad
>ran the entire galaxy
>somehow some unknown reject is more powerful than him later

You already have a good idea about how powerful this guy is from the start

>New Hope
>Admirals are shocked at his disbanding of the Senate, but their only complaint is that they don't know how order would be maintained. As soon as the Death Star's role is explained to them, they are fine with it. None of them truly dare question the Emperor
>This, from the people in charge of a group we're told is in charge of the entire Galaxy

>Empire Strikes Back
>Vader is shown as a puppet to him, and with his call to Luke further implies he doesn't stand a chance against the Emperor alone, even though we just saw him kick the ass of Luke, and previous saw him kill people with a thought

>Return of the Jedi
>He's the mother fucking Emperor, manipulative, planning and godly powerful to a boot

Meanwhile Snoke:

>TFA
>He's some dude who is in charge of the First Order, and to whom some random brat looks up to in between angst sessions
>We have no idea how powerful the First Order is, for all we know their power might be limited to a couple star destroyers and Starkiller Base at that point
>Kylo is portrayed as a faggot, and even with an excuse, he gets beaten by a total rookie in the only fight he's in, and only portrays new abilities elsewhere, so there's no way of really seeing how powerful he is, if at all, because for all we know, every Jedi can stop single blaster bolts, they just usually have more than one fired at them, and him at his weakest is not a good measure of him at his strongest
>Since we have no idea how strong the two things he's in charge of are, we have no idea how strong he is
>Plus we don't get the same kind of "hushed tones" things we had in A New Hope. Putting him on a big hologram just showcases his Ego, not his power

>TLJ
>Implying I'm even watching it
TL;DR:
When you show characters that we're afraid of, be afraid of someone, we're even more afraid of the person they're afraid of.

Who the flying fuck is Plagieus?

It's the only part that's consistent. It would have been perfectly executed if it wasn't for Lucas' severe autism and hamfisted allegories to Iraq.

so uh... why didn't he read his mind... I'm sure he can keep a handful of things in mind at the same time... maybe has dementia or something...

>*freeze frame*
>*record scratch*
>"Yep, that's me. You are probably wonder how this happenend and I wonder, too. It all started when..."

I walk out when this happenend.

My guilty pleasure, Alex Jones, explained that wonderfully.
youtu.be/KFIrBw4es-g

Tarkin: "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently."

Does anybody else sort of mentally pause for moment when this line is said, and wonder if the Emperor literally dissolved them?

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?

a fabrication of Palpatine to deceive Anakin into delving into the dark side to save Padme's life
at least that was what I thought when I watched it at the time

An empire is assumed to have an Emperor, and Vader was his "man on the ground" so to speak. He didn't need to physically be around for his presence to be felt.

Snoke has:
1. No assumption of command (the FO is a fucking rebel group for christ sake and we never see the power struggle between the various Imperial remnants/the rise of Snoke as successor to Palpatine)
2. No actual agents (Ren is a kid barely keeping it together)
3. No history with anybody else (even with his pupil)

Also, the Emperor more than made up for his lack of screentime in ROTJ, he had a really amazing dark charisma. Snoke has nothing because he's a soulless CGI render of a hack actor.

>why didn't he read his mind

He did. look for the version with sound.

sheev's master

one of the guards should've told snoke about the spinning lightsaber

the description makes it sound pretty neat

Someone needs to make a webm of that scene with combo scores stacking up like they do in DMC.

Is Andy Serkis the best person on this planet to sit in a throne or why did they cast him?

>not sensing deception
Snoke is a scrub. Palpy could do that while sabotaging a fleet.

how was a lightsaber conveniently at a position to slice mr snack instantly?

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend.

sure you did

Who trained snoke? He clearly has insane telekinesis and lightning powers.

Also, can you read minds with the force? It seems odd snoke was capable of melding two minds across a galaxy but couldn't discern that kylo ren was actually thinking of killing him with Luke's saber.

If Snoke is actually kill now, why didn't they just have some dude in a costume instea a cgi monster?
He did nothing special anyway?

I was really hoping he was some kind of ancient space wizard and was disappointed that he was basically a regular human.

He took it from Rey and put it on his armrest. Member when Palps did the same thing? Pottery

Sup Forums actually thinks this

He took it off Rey while force torturing her.

To be fair Vader deceives him.

Evil space emperor is self-explanatory in a standalone trilogy.

Snoke and First order make no sense given the previous movies and therefore require explanation.

If TLJ was just sci fi movie without a tie to popular franchise it wouldn't shat on as much.

lightning is the single most taxing power on the mind

>until midway through the second movie

He was mentioned all the way back in ANH.

vader didn't even know he was going to betray him, he did it instantly, spur of the moment. Kylo planned it.

When I read TFA would have a character named Snoke I immediately thought it would be some random slimy weaselly fuck who'd be dealt with in a minute or two but instead he turned out to be the chief of the bad guys. What were they thinking naming him that?

watch him get metal spider legs in the next episode

this is retarded though
exactly

if kylo knows which saber he's thinking of, which he does since he uses one and not the other, then snackbar reading his mind would know the same fucking thing, wouldn't he

maybe physically makes sense but that writing still makes me want to throw up, character might as well say some braindead quip like "ha, gotcha!" afterwards, cause that's the level of plot going on

Snoke put it on the armrest when he took it from Rey. Kylo later swivels it around with the force so the blade is pointed towards snoke without snoke noticing.

It was pure kino after all.