DISCUSSION: Do you think a character has to be the same ethnicity and/or gender for you to relate to them? If yes...

DISCUSSION: Do you think a character has to be the same ethnicity and/or gender for you to relate to them? If yes, why is it wrong for more diversity in big franchises? Don't non-whites deserve relatable characters (to them) in their favorite movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eE4nxpS_qFs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why is it wrong to have more diversity*

If they can act I don't care at all

>deserve
No one deserves anything.

Following this reasoning, shouldn't every person have their own specific character that they relate to? Every white person in this movie trilogy is either gay, a woman, or evil. What the fuck am I supposed to relate to?

>no one deserves anything
>what the fuck am I supposed to relate to

No. I can relate to characters whatever the race. It's a matter of setting and acting ability.

Name a few female or PoC characters that you identify with or relate to from any TV show or movie. Also, switch the gender of your favorite characters from any movie -- would you still like them (their actions and dialogue remain the same)?

this guy in charge of reading comprehension

dude free market research x shilling lmao
shoo shoo mickey mouse

I'm not white or a man but I can relate to Kylo. SJWs don't get that.

Hispanic guy here. I relate with Poe and Kylo. Either one is getting with Rey so I'm happy with that.

you know in greece women characters are played by men. I do nto see you getting upset about it.

>No one deserves anything.
Women comprise 50% of humanity, PoC and Asians comprise over 50% of humanity. They pay the same amount of money for the movie ticket as you do. Don't you think it's fair for them to have characters who at least look like them in their favorite GLOBAL franchises?
>shouldn't every person have their own specific character that they relate to?
Nice slippery slope argument

The evil ones.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with female characters and non-white characters.
The problem is liberal directors/screenwriters being too spineless to make those characters flawed and interesting.

Sarah Connor, Kim Wexler, Nora Durst, literally every woman in Mad Men

Black people are a bit harder since most of the movies I watch are historical based so it's mostly white. I guess the guy from American Gods was good, and everyone in Atlanta

Also theres Captain Flint if you want gays too

At this point I'm just listing well written characters rather than characters I can 'relate' too. I'm not even sure what 'relate' means in this case, I like well written characters even if they aren't like me - I'm don't have to be able to self-insert myself onto them to enjoy the show/movie

I'm Vietnamese and they chose to represent me as a fat doughy bitch who fucks niggers. They don't give a shit about any of us, they just want to feel good about themselves by giving out little handouts. Oh don't you feel good about finally getting represented on screen? No fuck off, we aren't niggers, we don't need handouts.

I think TLJ had it all covered. As a white male I relate to Luke perfectly. Slightly out of touch with reality, drinks manatee milk straight from a titty. Urge to kill a jew sometimes rises

Stop with the "triggered" or "upset" meme. No one here is upset I just started a discussion since the topic is immensely relevant in this day and age.

Of course not. Many of my favourite films are made in Asia by Asian directors involving entirely Asian casts. The problem comes from inserting ''diversity'' for the mere sake of diversity, instead of doing so to tell an interesting story.

It'd be like having some random white guy in a yakuza flick for no reason. It's nonsensical at best and quite jarring at worst.

you sound triggered, why are you getting upset?

Viets are objectively the worst of the asians breeds.

Im chinese vietnamese fucking shit kung pao binbao you wanna fooky dolla dolla bing bong

>Do you think a character has to be the same ethnicity and/or gender for you to relate to them?

If you think this way, you are probably a brainlet.

Lando is the best Star Wars character.

>If you think this way, you are probably a brainlet.
Congrats, most of Sup Forums are brainlets since they think this way.

I do not, but empirical evidence shows that representation in media of women and minority groups as competent characters has real world impact. A fascinating phenomena related to this is the female government agency involvement spike when X-files was popular. Displaying diversity in media improves diversity in real life, which improves our idea pool and will hopefully lead to long-term innovation.

Fuck off

>literally cant read what the other person posted

Wake up dude.

The Jews have made white men evil since the 1970's when they gained control.

Look at all your favorite 80's movies. Every villain is a blond white man. (Brown haired good guys)

From there it moved to white men in general as bad guys,

And now all white men are evil.

They are running propaganda against you. Just like the Nazis did in Germany.

That's why they want to erase history. So you can't recognize what they are doing. Not because theyre victims.

So they can abuse you with impunity.

Not exactly, most people on here object to diversity on the basis that it's meant to serve a different, more destructive agenda. We're way past the point where "innocent representation to a wider market" is a believable excuse for a cynical left wing power grab via social engineering.

wow is something like that enough to get you triggered?

>another idiot that cant even read

Connor, Ripley, Django, Lando

I don't mind diversity at all, it just bothers me seeing female warriors. Women do many things better than men do, and I don't mind female Jedi since Jedi are just superhuman wizards, but seeing women pretend to be badass trench warriors or dogfighting pilots screams of tacky feminist wish fulfillment. Women aren't into fighting the same way men are. The new trilogy feels like a platform for Kathleen Kennedy's politics.

But white men are evil they werent made evil why are you even pretending to be good all things bad came from the white race think about it jews are white too just accept you are an evil race that needs to disappear

No, the character just has to be in situations either I can relate to or they make the character above their race, i.e. not SOLELY about them being black, etc.

If it's Da Joos where are the Jewish characters on the good side? Jews and whites look the same in most situations.

>DISCUSSION: Do you think a character has to be the same ethnicity and/or gender for you to relate to them? If yes, why is it wrong for more diversity in big franchises? Don't non-whites deserve relatable characters (to them) in their favorite movies?
Diversity doesn't exist to pander to minorities. It exists to pander to the conscience of white SJWs mostly. Nobody actually gives a shit about representation. My childhood idol was a fucking dog

Nope. I can't relate to women because I'm a NEET incel. I can't relate to other races because they're inferior to me.

People hear 'strong' female characters and assume that means they have to be physically strong.
What they need is well-written female characters but that requires effort so we just get YAASSSSS QUEEN leading the the current states of SW, GoT, etc

>Connor
Masculine woman
>Ripley
Masculine woman
>Django
Fair
>Lando
Fair

People getting upset about white people in movies is morally bust in the same way that people getting upset about black/asian/hispanic/whatever people in movies is morally bust.

Forcing diversity into movies is retarded. I never watched movies in order to "relate" to characters based on their ethnicity. Did I enjoy the Land Before Time movies despite not being a cartoon dinosaur?

If you write a character that's black/white/asian/hispanic/a robot/an alien/whatever because that's your creative prerogative, that's fine.

What a lot of these big blockbusters are doing, however, is going through a 'diversity checklist' and affirmative actioning characters of different ethnicity because that's what's trendy and what will make money from their progressive virtue signaling audience. It's wrong in that it isn't writing with the intention of art, it's manufactured pandering with the intention of making as much money as possible.

>PoC and Asians comprise over 50% of humanity.
What the fuck does that even mean?
"People of Color" is not even used outside of the US since it literally only means non-white

Women were domesticated by men. Thinner bones, smaller statures, a propensity to be less intelligent, but have more intuition, than men.

We bred women to have large, perky breasts in addition to big, attractive asses.

Men bred women to be our fucktoys, either by natural selection since ancient dudes didn't want to fuck big, beefy women with moustaches or because we wanted someone we could knock around if she was getting sassy and using her period as an excuse.

Frodo, he was a hobbit

It is amusing how they always cast these spindly little girls in action roles. She goes "HYAAA! and pushes with her tiny arms, making an armored 6'3 dude fly back from her sheer womyn powar.

Selection pressure is a lot stronger on men than it is on women. Women selected for more traits than vice versa

>Masculine woman
Of course I liked badass characters who do brave shit and doesnt afraid of anything. I do not see why you can only attribute these traits to masculinity.

>left wing power grab via social engineering
Yeah, I can't take your post seriously. When you start going into this "right is evil" or "left is evil" bullshit I know you can't be objective.

The evil ones. First Order forever!!

Lando

unlike Luke the twink who seemed like he goes back to his daddy every night for a good pounding

It means exactly that. Non-whites comprise well over 50% of humanity. Hell, 3 billion people are just Chinese and Indians. Add to that 1 billion Africans and Arabs and 40% of Americans + 20% of Europeans. White people are literally a minority.

But you said non-whites and Asians.
Are Asians white now?

if the shoe fits you fucking shilling faggot

You conflate "OBJECTIVE" with being a fence sitting, chug chugging middle of the road fucking nothing with no strong beliefs either way.

I don't mind it with Rey so much since Jedi are literally superheroes with special superpowers, but Rogue One was a complete embarrassment when it came to that. I've seen teenage girls with stronger physiques than Facility Jones

Since when the "relatable character" autism starts in film? Why is it so important to me to self-insert into the film I'm watching?
Similarly, do you expect painters to draw you in his works or singers sing about you in his songs?

This. Most women managed to pass on their genes, it is men who got bred selectively. I am not sure what fantasy land the other user is living in.

How's that working for you virgin incel? Why don't you lure women with food and a whistle if that's the case? God you're pathetic

>anything worse than pinoys or ants
Please.

Who is telling them to buy tickets. They don't have to.

I have no problem with filmmakers choosing to add diversity because THEY want to since it's they're movie they're putting their time and money into to create.

I do have a problem with trying to focre filmmakers (and other creators) to put things in movies they personally do want to. No one is forcing you to watch something you don't want to.

and anyone can make a movie if they want to put the time and money into it and add all the diversity they want. If there isn't more diversity in movies whose fault is that?

my crappy grammar.

Because it limits strong female characters to primarily masculine characteristics so it ends up looking like a woman can't be strong unless she's man-like.

There are a lot of chinks, japs and gooks who have lighter skin than a lot of wops, micks and slavs.

Narcissism is more prevalent than it was last century, I guess.

I said PoC and Asians. I guess I'm interpreting PoC as blacks, arabs, indigenous peoples and some of the more colored latinos. To me, Asians are more defined by their facial characteristics than by their skin color which can often times be quite white. I don't get why you're so insistent on the semantics when you clearly know what I meant

Well yes, bravery and courage are usually displayed in the face of grave danger. The people usually sent against such danger are men, so females acting courageously in such a situation are perceived as "masculine". I do not see how you would avoid that.

>I have no problem with filmmakers choosing to add diversity because THEY want to since it's they're movie they're putting their time and money into to create.
You know you don't believe this so don't even pretend. JJ or Rian Johnson can shout all they like how THEY want more diversity but you won't believe them because you'll just say "Disney made them do it".

No. Will Smith was the biggest box office star in the world for a decade before all this shit started. I fucking love Lando, and he first appeared in 1980 for fuck sake. There are even meta studies showing that this "diversity in film is a new phenomenon" craze came out of nowhere in the last couple of years. It's the forced nature of it that's creating a backlash.
Besides, Boyega's acting isn't a problem. Finn isn't a well written character.
I like Isaac. He's good in TLJ and good in everything else.

>Every traditionally male hobby/interest being simultaneously flooded with poser women asking for everything to be changed in ways that perfectly correspond to leftist politics has nothing to do with leftist politics.

If you're actually this slow, I have a truck full of unsold black female Iron Man comics to sell you. Seriously how did you even find this website? You're not ready for this place yet.

>chug chugging middle of the road fucking nothing with no strong beliefs either way
I have very strong beliefs that transcend and overlap both the typical left and right bs. I can see both the negatives and positives of BOTH sides, unlike your pathetic ass that has to follow blindly the entire agenda of either the left or right (in your case the right). Your mind is incapable due to incompetence to see perspectives from the opposite horizon. You will always be a loser with your way of thinking.

Loser.

Boyega character behaves more like a cucked insecure chronically anxious white man than a black stallion. So ofcourse white men will be able to relate to his character.

>Don't you think it's fair for them to have characters who at least look like them in their favorite GLOBAL franchises?

It's really not that important though, most people don't care and don't project onto fictional characters once they're past the age 12.

You're only pushing the ideology that race/gender is the utmost important thing when it comes to liking or identifying with characters, which in itself is harmful.

>I have a truck full of unsold black female Iron Man comics to sell you
You're a piss poor seller, I bet you always fail meeting quotas at cell phone stores.

This has to be a false flag. You can not be the living incarnation of le radical centrist meme.

I'm not talking about bravery and courage, those can be displayed in any scenario, not just war. Take a look at Sarah Connor and point me to ONE characteristic that indicates anything feminine about her; even her tits look like pecs. You like her character because she's a man who happens to have a vagina.

Kinda hard to cheer for the gang filled with black people when you have to cross the street in real life when you see one

Why has centrism become an insult? It's the rational choice. And people act like being centre means you're a coward who doesn't want to choose a side, when it actually means that you have chosen but with a fine brush instead of a fucking broom.

I'm getting the impression that a lot of things fly right over your head, don't they? This is high level autism.

>Doesn't know about shoehorning left wing politics into fictional media, the single most popular media trend in the world.

You should probably go back to seeing the left and right of the inside of a book before you open your mouth about this stuff when you are so impossibly uninformed.

>anyone who disagrees with me is a false flag
Grow up child, the world doesn't revolve around you.
>centrist meme
Did you read my post? I'm the farther thing from a centrist you fucking moron.

Diversity is not a virtue in itself. There is nothing special or valuable about racial diversity. It's purely superficial, and when you're going out of your way to superficially reinforce your story, the final product is going to suffer.

This is the retarded shit I'm talking about. People want to have their diversity and eat it.
"We should give everybody an equal chance, because race doesn't matter. Also, we need to diversify things, because race matters."
If racially diversifying things actually expanded your "idea pool," then this would mean that race mattered. We don't want to act like race matters when the chips are down, though. Instead we want to believe that it's the personal experiences that matter most, which it is. Race isn't the biggest determinant of that, however- it's not even close. It's asinine to say that a room full of white people would naturally be better off if they started accepting walking tokens instead of just whoever happened to be the best fit for the job. Who do you think gets let through the gate when these people are playing their diversity game? It's a specific type of person who believes in all this diversity shit, and they're ironically only interested in hearing what their own kind has to say. Sure, they'll tie-dye things all to shit, that's fine and dandy, but every person in that multicolored crowd is going to think exactly the same, because to dissent is heresy.

>center = non-right
>center = non-left
Everyone who is a polarized reactionary faggot (literally everyone) hates you because you're not in their camp and because you're a bong.

Looks like a woman to me, user. I was under the impression that you disagree with the traits she exhibits, not with the way she looks. If she looked like a 10/10 model but acted in the same way I would like her still because I enjoy her character. I don't know what you expect of her for her to count as a "female character" that you cna identify with.

>oh, some black youths, this is perfectly fine, I won't cross the street
>quick, feign yawning so they don't think you're uneasy in their presence..-nggnhhnnffugh

Centre is the patrician spelling choice. Center is stupid.

Ripley
Sarah Connor
Dana Scully
Dorothy
Brienne of Tarth
Clarice Starling
The Bride
PRINCESS FUCKING LEIA

The list is endless. Rey is a poorly written character. Ridley is a terrible actress - she knows her acting has been questioned, by none other than JJ for fuck sake. And she's ungraceful. Not ungraceful "as a girl" but ungraceful as an athlete. She looks awkward at all times. The PT featured female Jedi and they didn't look awkward like Rey. Daisy reminds me of the kids - girls *and* boys who were useless in phys ed and would get notes from their parents to sit out.

It's just bad casting and bad writing, dude. All there is to it.

Not from a movie or TV Show but Bayonetta.
For Movies...The Bride, Chirrut's brother in Rogue One
Captain Holt and Terry Crews from B99

I'm arab and I never had a any problem to relate with characters of different ethnicity, I don't have much choice anyway.

No, it means you have no strong beliefs. The left is right about one thing - reality is completely subjective, and the social order is up to the collective consciousness to establish. Pushing your beliefs and vision onto the world in order to shape it in the way you see fit is the purpose of politics. You, on the other hand, choose to pretend to be above all and point fingers instead of choosing a side and standing your ground. And this is why when actual conflict begins, people like you either submit to the force currently in power, or are gotten rid of.

>I have transcended all of you! I can see the right and wrong ON BOTH SIDES!
Yeah fuck off you spineless coward. The fence is so far up your ass I can see the planks peeking through your mouth.

Mulan. Literally a strong independent POC woman but is still beloved because you see her becomes great soldier in the end by enduring the same training as the men.

For example, Padme, Leia, Robin Wright in house of cards or some of the women in Game of Thrones. They have courage and strength but not in a stereotypical manly way.
Here's Natalie Portman saying: "Behaving like a man is not feminism"
youtube.com/watch?v=eE4nxpS_qFs

You responded to the wrong user you fucking moron. Do you always fail at life or is it exclusive to your wage job and Sup Forums?

The two posts were of such similar cuckoldry it was difficult to tell them apart. Just like all centrist views.

Not at all. It's just that the current generation is trying to lecture us, talk down to us, which makes it both offensive and repulsive.

I'm a straight white man and I've never connected with a character just because they "look like me". I connect with characters when their values align with mine and their behaviour is understandable in context; the race or gender of that character doesn't matter.

I don't give a shit about diversity. If you think you need people to physically resemble you in order to relate to them, you're shallow, vapid, and prejudiced.

And people think I'm the racist.

"Centrist" is how a 19 year old labels himself once he realizes that no platform of a major party appeals to him in its entirety. You grow out of it once you realize that some "good ideas" are contradictory, and you need to make firm choices between these ideas in order to apply your philosophy. Any "Centrist" over 30 is just a fence sitting pussy or so dangerously uninformed that he shouldn't be involved in politics.

Here you go cuck