Who is the biggest Sup Forums related hack and why is it Jim Davis?

Who is the biggest Sup Forums related hack and why is it Jim Davis?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l2U5o1YlUH8
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=rZeeYTyuQs4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

someone is a garfield hater. we dont like haters here. take your hate over to /trash/ hater

At least he never quit, unlike Alex McHacklet Hirsch.

Newspaper comics have a different standard. Being a hack is the only way to maintain a career, lest you offend the sensibilities of one church-going, milquetoast normie who gets their newspaper to drop your comic.

BUT GARFIELD AND FRIENDS WAS A GOOD SHOW!

No this is.
youtube.com/watch?v=l2U5o1YlUH8

People like Schulz and Waterson and plenty of other are proof that this isn't true. Unless you write for Doonsberry or Garfield, you cannot maintain a joke a day comic in nationwide newspaper without bring at least somewhat funny. Clean humor doesn't mean unfunny.

define "hack"

youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Because all he ever wanted to do was make money and now he can just literally copy paste panels

Garfield has never been funny

Who is Alex Hirsch

>Jim Davis
Rebeca Sugar is worse

It's no surprise that Jim's only end game with Garfield was to make money, he's stated it before thecase on numerous occasions, and dispite that, he was able to create a $1B comic empire in under 40 years.

Can he really be considered a hack for doing the one thing he said he sought out to do and succeed at it?

I love it when people call him a sellout when that was precisely his goal from the very beginning.

Man, Odis's modern design is disgusting.

Someone I don't like

Rebecca sugar

Family Circus is worse

Because it had a good team of writers rather then Jim Davis and his toadies.

It's funny how upfront he is about garfield being a cash cow.

Jim Davis used to work in advertising before garfield.

Is there a way for a comic to achieve as much superstardom in this day in age as Garfield has?

Nope, nobody reads the newspapers anymore.

No, the comic scene has changed so drastically. It used to be that success depended on how many newspapers carried your strip- now newspapers have lost relevancy and anyone can make their own comic online.

And since there's so many webcomics, few ever get a chance to stand out and achieve real breakout success. The most successful ones are that got in on the ground floor when webcomics were barely a thing.

Let's face it, he was never great.

You WHAT m8?

>the oversaturation of webcomics has prevented any real breakout success for the comic industry as a whole and the only real legacy we'll leave behind are capshit comics and Garfield being anything of notable relevance.

>reinvented the face of feature animation
>not that great
>only made one real below-average work
This blurs the line between opinion and bait.

Is there a full compilation of all the times Garfield has repeated a punchline, or even repeated the same strip verbatim?

>Hating on FC.

FC is a god send on news paper strips. only SJW commies think that it sucks.

>Waaaa! They talk about Jesus!

Any time I see a Jim Davis thread, I just get a little pissed off for being reminded that he made fan art for that one black cartoonist kid

Garfield existing lead to the existence of Fist of the borf star so I can't hate him.

why is that bad?

i can never hate jim davis or garfield, for if they didn't exist, neither would this.
youtube.com/watch?v=rZeeYTyuQs4

How would you feel if an obscure nobody got fan art of their character from a famous person who's networth is larger than anyone's will to live?

He was always in it for the shekels.

If I remember correctly, he pretty much stopped drawing Garfield in the early 80's to focus on the merch. His assistants have been drawing it ever since.

Pic related; Tom K. Ryan's "Tumbleweeds" was where Jim Davis got his start, as an assistant from 1969 to 1978.

I would feel good for that person.

Not sure why I'd be bothered by that

I wouldn't feel anything really. I mean Jim Davis is set for the rest of his life he doesn't have shit else to do I guess.

>shittalking our Sup Forumsmrade again

will you fuck off

underrated post

>jim davis will never kill everyone on Sup Forums, including myself
maybe someday

If Jim Davis was my all-time hero and him drawing art for me was my fondest and most orgasmic dream come true, I guess I would be envious of him.

But I'd have to be a complete faggot to have that as my one true wish.

>joke
jōk/
noun
1. a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

>>>these was never a thing in those comics

bill waterson wasnt a hack. cmon now

and penutz is shit too

>
>>>>cause

the bald man from marvel

If the internet is any indication, the biggest hacks invariably are the ones who focus on too much shocky edgy humor because with bland and safe comedy it's pretty much the same so when they change just a little bit, it's startling. Someone who focuses way too much on shocky humor will either:

-Burn out humor-wise
-Keep trying to go over-the-top to the point where it loses its edge and becomes obnoxious
-Becomes a bland version of itself

So how do you propose we fix that?

Have faith user, newspaper comics had been around for more than seventy years before Garfield came around. Even longer if you count political comics. So give it a few decades before you give up hope.

that's not John K

user, your envy is Chris Chan levels of immaturity

Good. Fuck your worthless excuse for a medium.

Schulz was quite god-fearing and even he gagged at Family Circus.

>those sickly-sweet images of invisible deceased grandparents looming protectively over the kids. Oh, I can't stand that. You could get diabetes reading them, couldn't you?

i guess it could be done but only with a team of writers
people dont understad that newspaper strips are their own genere, sure born out of limitation but so is every other genere in any artistic field in history
You couldnt do a better job, nobody could, without adering to the simple repetitive formula

Post yfw Sup Forums is too dumb to understand the brilliance of Davis.

Garfield minus Garfield is pretty fun.

>tfw Pearls Before Swine is probably the last ever legitimately great newspaper comic strip

At least Garfield never declared himself the "God of Gamers" and tried to unironically invent his own holiday.

That's not Mark Millar, David Goyer, or Zack Snyder.

I'd feel good for them because I'm not an idiot.

I'd be jealous for a while, but I'd probably move on.

You are talking about Chirs, Tim or Penny Arcade? Because all of them did this

I assumed B^Uckly

No go, Garfield, go out and zap to the extreme
>I will, thank you father

Nice meme hate you have there, did you searched it on google?