Are critics just dumb?

I kinda missed the train on this one, but I just finished Iron Fist. It threw me for a loop: wasn't this supposed to be terrible? How the fuck it stand on a 17% on Rotten? It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was an enjoyable, totally fine show.

>Are critics just dumb?
Yes.

I guess so, but how, and how on this scale?

The bad kung fu scenes and white actor was the kiss of death in their eyes. I thought the fighting was ok but I unfortunately think this show got picked on because of race.

>Kung fu show
>The kung fu is bad
It's worthless. Everything else is secondary.

its not that great to most. That doesn't mean you cant enjoy it dude. And yeah you're late as shit

Watch something like Into the Badlands
Compare the action scenes

Did, like that one too, but this was fine, nowhere near 17%

I also will never understand how they hated on a white guy, playing a white character

I think they were coming in influenced by all the controversy, and by the very different Marvel Netflix shows that immediately preceded it (LC, JJ).

So instead of realistic-sih character studies focusing on various marginalized/victimized groups (black people in the ghetto, raped women) they got a very old school, comic book adventure.

I liked Iron Fist, but looking back it really wasn't a great show. Danny is a shit protagonist and I'm baffled by literally everything they chose to do with him. Joy going evil in the last scene when Danny sacrificed himself YESTERDAY to save her family was wtf.

It takes a while to get going, and the first two-three episodes are very different, tonally, and somewhat frustrating (it's kind of implausible just how much shit can happen to one man in the span of 24 hours, not to mention how Danny came across as a complete idiot trying to barge into Rand like that without a believable explanation).

Bakuto is still a non-sequitur of a character in terms of motivations (he's the Hand, but he helps kids? But then also brainwashes them? Maybe?) - I still don't know why he did any of what he did, beyond "The Hand is evil, duh". Claire has overstayed her welcome by far, and her going against Hand ninjas and WINNING a fight is bordering on Mary Sue.She's been in more episodes than anyone else at this point (except Daredevil, probably) and they haven't done anything to make her compelling or show us who she is beyond being a nice person who helps people.

etc. etc.

The show is very flawed if you try to examine it at any depth, but it's not 17% bad by any means. It's just a show that tried to do a lot, and did most of it in a mediocre fashion.

Iron Fist was better than Bore Cage and Jessica Jones period even if Danny was kinda shit. They even managed to make Claire not-annoying like she was in LC.

Yeah, I kinda agree, there were some stupid or aggrovating shit in this, but I liked it.
I kinda thought this would have a different feel, and it did, but not to the degree I anticipated.

I'm still very excited about The Punisher tho. It would be really cool to see the whole Welcome Back Frank thing in this Netflix format.

You just have shit taste nigga.

Fuck, I always knew :(

this basically, the one thing you expect from a show about a martial arts master is for the character to be good at martial arts

In their eyes the character has been flawed from the beginning by virtue of being white, pushing the "mighty whitey" narrative and marginalizing asian culture. Critics of the casting choice saw the Iron Fist television show as a chance for Marvel to revise their error by changing the race of the character and retroactively make the story more respectful to the asian culture.

Personally I can see where these people are coming from, but I have never read an Iron Fist comic so I feel as though its really not my place to make a judgement on the character's treatment. That's one of my big problems with all these offended people; they rarely have had any exposure to the source material so they really don't understand the context of what they are criticizing. Like all the people who were pissed about ScarJo in GitS without even knowing that the character is a robot and that race really doesn't play a role in the original story at all. I don't have enough knowledge of the Iron Fist character to evaluate the possible racism so I'm really not entitled to comment on it.

This, so hard

>race really doesn't play a role in the original story at all

Bruh, she's a Japanese citizen working as part of a Japanese secret police force in Japan, dealing with problems that plague modern day Japan as extrapolated into a cyberpunk future Japan setting. Race, or at least culture, is pretty important to GitS.

It's not a matter of morality, by the way, it's a matter of verisimilitude. Every time you see ScarJo, every time they point out why she's white and not Japanese, you're aware of the artificiality of these plot threads and this character. A white woman being the lead figure in a Japanese police service in Japan is ridiculous, and every attempt to film makes to make it less ridiculous makes it even worse, as the audience knows these plot threads only exist to justify a white actor.

Iron Fist is different, though. There really is no reason to have an asian actor. Nothing in the story is uniquely asian and nothing about the character is uniquely asian. It's a totally different case to GitS.

I thought it was awful.
>>Hand's hierarchy was such confusion.
>>Danny fighting so much to get his company back for episodes, flat out doesn't care when he takes over.
>>Bad fights
>>Wasting Bride of Nine Spiders
>>"IF YOU KILL HIM, YOU'LL BE JUST AS BAD AS HIM!"
>>Claire's "Oy vey! Why did I go to China with all of you!"
>>Two major characters introduced way too late into the show and introduced poorly.
>>Bukkoto is a terrible villain
>>No Kun Lun, No Dragon
>>Danny is a flat out moron

The worst thing is the fact that the show makes it seem like it's heading somewhere interesting, but then because a huge wet fart.

The only good parts are
>>Ward's arc
>>The hilarious resurrected Harold.
>>Asian Women

That's it.

Iron fist is racially white, but grew up asian. It's as important to his background as the ghetto is to Cage.

The idea that white people can assimilate into other cultures without it being some sort of theft is alien to the protesters.

Shit taste, low standards, mouse cuck confirmed

>Kung fu show has shit fights
It was set up to fail

Bascily this. The whole "white wash" shit would have been ignored if they actaully delivered on some good fight scenes and there is no excuse for how poor they were after seeing what they did with Daredevil. That apartment brawl in S2 was Iron Fist level combat. Somehow they just thought big glowy fist bomb would be enough for veiwers.

so, the best way to portrait a caricature of the 70s asian cinema martial arts craze is.... with an asian that does martial arts.

Brilliant.

Did Luke Cage talked in ebonics?

critics, especially today where anyone can be a "critic," are usually wrong. And the fact that you had to make a thread about this shows you are underage, a faggot, or absolutely retarded.

Agree with you, OP.
It wasn't great, it might even be the worst of the bunch (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil), but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.
It needed a better overall theme, something that could create some atmosphere. Make more out of Danny wanting to be a part of the company clashing with his role as a guardian - let him make some hard choices instead of just forgetting about the company 4-5 episodes in. Do more with the martial arts - more interesting fights, more interesting opponents.
That said, the villains were really good, much better than in Luke Cage.

>And the fact that you had to make a thread about this shows you are underage, a faggot, or absolutely retarded.

Yeah, how dare he discuss Sup Forums related subjects on Sup Forums?!
Trying to start a discussion about the pros and cons of the show? About what people on Sup Forums thought about it?
What a fucking asshole.

Ironically it's about (realising) White Privilege, and Danny not a "Culture Vulture) because he was raised in K'un-Lun. The fact that he's an adopted son of K'un-Lun and not a tourist is a big part of the story. Probably the most misunderstood hero.

>>Ward's arc
>>The hilarious resurrected Harold.

Meachums was pretty much the only reason why I finished the season. Ward was such a great character. He was pretty much the only one whose actions and motivations always made perfect sense.

I definitely don't think it deserved to be shit on as much as it was, but it was the weakest entry by far. The flaws of the other Netflix shows can be argued endlessly, but Iron Fist has really obvious flaws that anyone can see. It's a problem when everyone can tell you don't have good fight scenes and your opening 2-3 episodes were baffling shit. Having a poor opening really hurts because I doubt a lot of people even finish these shows. A lot just check out an episode or two and then endlessly mention how "omg I keep meaning to finish that."

>The show is very flawed if you try to examine it at any depth, but it's not 17% bad by any means.
What made you think anybody say it is 17% bad? Tell me how you come up with that so I can laugh at you.

Just want to say that I think changing the character to be white is potentially a very interesting choice. GitS has a lot of themes regarding identity and changing one of the biggest physical identifiers of the character, her race, into something different is a very interesting notion that could potentially benefit the story if done correctly. Haven't actually seen the live action movie though so idk if it plays that way.

The shit action scenes killed it for me. Watched like five episodes before I basically forgot about it.

I got up to episode 10 before I stopped.

Average audience score is 79, that 17 % comes from leddit tumbr and people that lurk there and write the critics, also few of them was writen with only the first 6 episodes, show wasn't that bad but wasn't good, still better than AoS, LC or Supergirl

>that 17 % comes from leddit tumbr
Not even that. The ACTUAL critic score average was 4.24/10. People who throw 17% around are just idiots who don't know what a Tomato score is.

So why did the show go out of the way to explain that Danny ideals were stupid, unneeded, and would bankrupt Rand only to paint his actions as heroic?

>So why did the show go out of the way to explain that Danny ideals were stupid, unneeded, and would bankrupt Rand only to paint his actions as heroic?
Same problem as Man of Steel. The souce material contradicts what the directer wanted.

Shit forgot the example.

>Durr sell drugs at cost!
>Danny we're a business and need money to survive, also part of the profits goes into more medical research and finally the World Health Organization subsidizes theses drugs by buying them and giving them to 3rd world nations for free

Critics are respected because their opinions are academically and legally validated. It is a direct correlation with their intellect. Opinions for the majority are subjective, but critics are scholars with an objective and factual opinion, which is highly regarded and considered an objective truth. That is to say, critics are smarter than you, understand film better than you in every possible way, and your inability to agree with their valid points is representative of your intelligence or lack thereof.

>critics are intelligent.

Surrreeeeee

The show was entirely forgettable and boring. The dialogue was fucking awful . I'm not sure what was worse, the david carradine impressions or the bacon siblings having to explain things to each other whenever they talk about things the audience doesn't know about. I don't give a shit about the whole iron fist being white thing (because why the fuck would I given that's what he is in the fucking comics) but let's not pretend this show wasn't anything but poorly executed and planned.

>wrong
>subjective opinion

user, you need to fuck off back to Sup Forums

You're an idiot.

It's shorthand for "I don't think it deserves 17% on RT".

Learn English before you post on this board again.

I don't think you understand how the percentage score works on RT

Ive never seen someone more wrpng

it wasnt bad but it was boring

boring is worse than bad