youtube.com/watch?v=8dft_e7T8JE
youtube.com/watch?v=MeHoh3EOZyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLAZQOylP4
youtube.com/watch?v=EKMFL-jcHUk
youtube.com/watch?v=_NefOZ7FjE8
youtube.com/watch?v=10S428LRcUY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But I like Greg.

Comes off more as a british accent towards the end, greg has that chinese eastern voice

If you want to do Mako comparisons, do the original intro

When he starts with the "He really doesn't care" it becomes apparent that it's a young person.

The voice is alright but the acting is terrible. At least Greg gets the inflections right.

youtube.com/watch?v=AeM0a9gM6Po

this sounds better IMO

Eh, it's better than Greg but that's not saying much.
Greg isn't even trying to sound like Mako.

OP you really got to understand that there's more to voice acting than voice. There's acting, too. And Greg Baldwin is a pretty good actor. Not as good as Mako, but pretty good.

All these guys who can do """impressions""" can't act for shit, so it's a moot point how """close""" they sound.

>>people on youtube are doing a better job at mako impressions than Greg
Jesus fucking Christ, how stupid can you people get?
Baldwin isn't doing a fucking Mako impression, he's doing his own voice of Aku.

Mako is fucking irreplaceable, that's why Greg isn't even trying to pretend he's him as Aku.
Get that through your thick fucking skulls and stop posting these shitty as fuck impressions.

While I like greg, this was pretty good, thanks for sharing OP

Gets decently close to the tone but needs a better performance.

>mfw people requesting fan-dubs in comments
This.

>this irreplaceable meme again
Yeah, yeah, let's celebrate Greg for not trying to sound like Mako at all instead. why even try am I right?

Because he's fucking dead. Would you rather have an impression that doesn't sound like Mako at all(like the impressions posted) or an entirely new voice that's good in its own right?

You some kind of fucking retard or what?

I want neither, I want a good voice actor that tries to sound like Mako, it's a hard task but I'm sure it's not "impossible".

Well, I don't want that. I want a good voice actor that sounds like fucking Aku, and I got just that.

Lazy bastards should have done an open casting. Remember when adult swim advertised that they were looking for someone to play life action Carl?

It ended up fucking perfect:
youtube.com/watch?v=8dft_e7T8JE

That's what happens when you open the pool of possible candidates to millions.

Greg isn't doing a Mako impression though, holy shit he's doing his own thing

Having an impersonator try to sound like Mako would cheapen the whole thing.

Greg can act and often gets the infliction of what he's trying to convey right. All these impersonators sound like Mako but can't actually read the lines with their intended emotions for shit.

>Greg
>sounding like Aku
You need to clean your ears, boy. He could at least ditch the Russian accent.

You must have an actual Asian accent to impersonate Mako well enough.

This one's really great. Not an impression, just digitally altering Baldwin's voice:
youtube.com/watch?v=MeHoh3EOZyQ

Aku = Mako. Sounding like Aku and not like Mako doesn't make any sense. How are you even making this insane rationalization?

No, fuck you, there aren't subtle things Greg is getting right. There is sounding like Aku which means sounding like Mako. He's not getting that right and that's the only thing there is. You're trying really hard to invent vague inexpressable bullshit so you can avoid this simple truth.

>He's not getting that right and that's the only thing there is
But it's not.
Acting is more important than sounding exactly like the original voice actor. Beside those YouTube people not sounding like Mako, they also don't act very well.

>And I care because

AAAAAAAnnnnnddddd it's a no from me.

That sounds even further away from Mako. You can't just ask some random guy from Boston, or sounds like he's from Boston, to do his best grumbly voice and have Mako.

Even this is a lot better than what we got, and it's the exact same thing just pitched up some. There are some parts where he really nailed it (and some parts he absolutely did not), but he just does it too deep.

All there is, is the voice. The voice is the acting. Sounding like Aku / Mako is the acting.

Mako was Aku, but since he's dead, that's just not possible anymore. You need to realize that Aku isn't Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse in that they have a "voice" to them.

I loved Mako's Aku and I'm sad that he's no longer here to continue with it. But still, I've accepted that he's gone now and that trying to get crappy impressions of him just isn't the way to go.
And apparently, Gennedy thought the same.

But that's fucking wrong you retard.

Because the only alternative is to face the fact that Greg's Aku sounds like shit. The reason people think it's an impression is that unlike Mako, he's not getting into the role and making the voice his own. Greg's Aku sounds forced as hell, not like a Shogun of Sorrow. There's only so much that people can attribute to Aku's malaise, and Greg shot past that during his nosedive into the ground.

Okay, let me put this in a way you understand.
Peter Sellers sounds 100% like Peter Sellers, rights? But he can play many different characters, and deliver the same line or even the same word in ten different ways.
A guy who sounds like Peter Sellers can't necessarily act like Peter Sellers. Maybe they can't deliver a line right (like those YouTube guys) or maybe they can't evoke all sorts of emotions like good actors, or maybe they just deliver everything flat like they're reading it off of a piece of paper.

That's the difference between impersonating a voice, and acting.

>hired to replace Mako
>Greg isn't even trying to sound like Mako

Explain.

that's quite bad desu senpai

the fuck
if you type in the abbreviation of "to be honest f.a.m"
it changes it to desu senpai

desu senpai

hownuru

I think the main problem with the new Aku voice is that he isn't as bombastic as the original. He just sounds like a stuffy old man most of the time.

i prefer greg's desu
not saying he's perfect though mako is impossible to replace

Best version ITT

desu senpai

they had some sort of echoing thing with mako too. i wonder why baldwin doesn't.

It's impossible he'll sound exactly like Mako, so instead of trying and failing to imitate him to perfection he does his own thing only being careful that it does work for the character. It also serves to make him stand out for himself and not to be simply known as "mako imitator/replacement", that's just not a good image for a professional.

desu senpai

So why not get someone who sounds more like him instead of someone who's trying to do his own thing?

eh they both kinda suck

only mako can do mako

Not anymore he can't.

>someone who sounds more like him
Someone who sounds more like him is not someone you will find already voice acting, and they're not going to risk hiring any rookie for such an important role. Furthermore, no professional will ever want to be known as "X's replacement" it is both denigrating to them and X themselves, and dangerous for every VA around since they all suddenly become expandable: "Oh you don't wanna do this gig anymore, you want better treatment or a raise? OK then, we'll just get someone who can sound exactly like you".
The life's of both actors and voice actors depends entirely on their public image, the more prominent, unique and easily identifiable they are, the easier it'll be to sell the stuff they make (and every little role they take counts); just like brand logos, they have to be colorful to easily catch people's attention and as unique as possible so that people can easily identify their favourite brand over the other: if two soda cans have the same colors, no logos and the only way to tell one from the other requires reading small letters, there's a chance people will end up grabbing a can of brand or flavor they didn't actually intend to buy, which leads to either not caring for their mistake, meaning that one brand has stolen the other's costumer, or will get angry and try to avoid both brands in the future, meaning loss for both companies.

you're a talentless hack bud, come back when you learn how to V.A. properly and not just make shitty impressions

>People don't get the idea that this is supposed to "new Aku" depressed one so he changed voice tone just like real people do in real life

those autistic fuckers make me sick

If this guy voiced over Greg in all episodes I would watch it.

Greis nice, but this is much better

Mako's daughter and grandkid thought Greg sounded like Mako, but clearly a bunch of autists who can't get over a cartoon are the ones who are right.

It's not though. He routinely loses the tone of Aku and has no ability to expand his syllables.

Because Mako was irreplaceable.

Plus it's really obvious he's reading off the lines and trying to imitate. Which is a LOT easier than actually voicing the lines the first time around.

Latin Aku is the better Aku. Mako a shit

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLAZQOylP4

EL BANDITO OF BADNESS

>you're a talentless hack bud, come back when you learn how to V.A. properly and not just make shitty impressions

You're wrong. I don't VA and I don't even do casual impersonations. I'm just one of the anons in this thread who's willing to acknowledge the emperor has no clothes and Greg Baldwin's Aku attempt is shit.

>the idea that this is supposed to "new Aku" depressed one so he changed voice tone just like real people do in real life

No, I definitely got that. They didn't make it subtle by literally having him call himself the "new Aku." He doesn't even pull off sounding like a depressed Aku / Mako. Not even close. He sounds like a Russian or an old jew. There are a lot of voice actors out there that could've at least done a depressed sounding Aku / Mako, but they went with Greg Baldwin because of the precedent of him doing Iroh and other former Mako parts because of his stupid story about how he really liked the Pacific Overtures musical that Mako was lead in. They definitely didn't pick him because he was the best performer. They picked him because he had the best credentials on paper. I'm amazed at how huge of a gap there is between his credentials and his actual performance here. I don't care how hard you try to rationalize, YOU DON'T CHANGE THE FUCKING REGIONAL ACCENT ON AN ESTABLISHED CHARACTER, THAT'S NOT GOOD ACTING.

HURR JACKIE CHAN DIED, LET'S HAVE A NEW GUY DO THE INSPECTOR LEE CHARACTER IN RUSH HOUR 4, BUT MAKE SURE HE USES SCOTTISH ACCENT BECAUSE HE'S DEPRESSED NOW AND NO ONE CAN EVER REPRODUCE JACKIE CHAN'S VOICE ANYWAY SO DON'T EVEN TRY.

Because his daughter and grandkid are going to tell Greg "hey, you suck, just quit pls."

Fuck off.

Holy shit that's pretty good.

>It’s Mako’s daughter and grandson. So I’m going, Holy crap! I’ve got to go in there now to record. I hope they like it! You know, I hope they’re not offended. And afterwards I walk back out and his daughter gave me a hug and said that I’d made her cry.

Yeah, clearly she thought he was terrible you fucking autist.

Eh, it sounds alright as its own thing, but Mako's voice is better.
You're just being biased because you grew up with it.

You're an idiot .

They cried and hugged because they were remembering Mako by association with Aku being made the focus of what everyone around them was doing, not because Greg Baldwin did a good job. Just being back around the Samurai Jack production would be more than enough to trigger strong emotions when your dad or grandpa was the star voice actor of that show and it's being brought back after over a decade since the last episode. That isn't evidence Greg Baldwin is really good at being Aku.

>unironic frogposting

>he's doing his own voice of Aku.

It's surprisingly fucking bad

sure thing, pal.

I heard only one guy showed up for the carl acting thing

Fool, he was hired to play Aku, not to replace Mako.
That's the fucking difference you morons don't get.

desu senpai

There is no Aku voice that isn't Mako's voice. Aku is a character made up of:

1) A visually recognizable character design including a black body, red eyebrows and a beard stylized to look like fire, green facial features shaped to look kind of reptilian / dragon-like etc.

2) Consistent behaviors as written into the scripts that the writers put together like being evil or hating Jack.

3) Audio in the form of some sound effects for his movement / actions and a voice provided by Mako.

Speaking of a voice that's both Aku and not Mako literally makes no sense. If it's a voice that doesn't sound like Mako, then it's not an Aku voice, it's something other than an Aku voice.

hey

>better

It's closer to the original in some ways but it sounds like such a cheap imitation and lacks actual voice acting finesse.

>There is no Aku voice that isn't Mako's voice.
Reality proves you otherwise.

The show VA sounds like a fucking mexican

Greg Baldwin isn't doing Aku's voice, he's doing weird nu-Aku's voice where he's inexplicably an old russian jew now.

He'd be doing Aku's voice if he sounded like Mako.

>>people on youtube are doing a better job at mako impressions than greg
>post shitty impression even worse than greg's
like pottery

>Greg Baldwin isn't doing Aku's voice
Uh, yes, he is doing aku's voice; it looks like aku, it moves like aku and it produces a sound that is easily identifiable as Aku's. Therefore it has Aku's voice.
>He'd be doing Aku's voice if he sounded like Mako.
>people's voices never change
Morgan Freeman didn't sound like "Morgan Freeman" when he was young, but puberty had nothing to do with it, he learned to relax his throat more than usual when talking until it became habitual for him and now he has the voice of "Morgan Freeman".
>nu-Aku

Voice Acting and Voice Impressions are different. They maybe able to do the voice, but can they act?

He doesn't produce a sound that's identifiable as Aku's, that's the problem.

>learned to relax his throat

Because Morgan Freeman used to have a Japanese accent but now has a Russian accent. Fuck off.

Your post could be used during psychology 101 classes to showcase how autistic people hate change and cannot accept that some things can't be replaced.

Mako is dead. Nobody is going to sound luke his exact copy. The voice will be different no matter what. Making an impression of someone is not acting like someone. The best we can ask for is someone to act Aku's quirks well.

>Nobody is going to sound like his exact copy.

People do voices that sound exactly like other people's voices all the time, it's not like some rare thing you can't ever find. The problem is nobody bothered to find it because they went with "this guy replaced Iroh already" instead of taking a better Mako sounding voice from a different candidate.

I wouldn't say it's that bad. The issue is that it has a much more throaty sound to it. Aku ends up sounding like he just ate some really syrupy pancakes or just drank a bunch of Guinness.

>He doesn't produce a sound that's identifiable as Aku's
He does, actually. You're just biased
>Because Morgan Freeman used to have a Japanese accent but now has a Russian accent.
Russian and Japanese accents are hardly different; you're just used to american stereotypes. And no, Morgan Freeman didn't change his accent, but he did sound so different that you would not recognize him at all by his voice only, this is not even the case with Aku as his new voice can indeed be linked back to him even though it's not exactly the same, that also doen't deny the fact that some people learning a second or third language will go through several different accents that could be associated to different origins as they learn the language over time, or may even change the accent of a previously dominated language as they change another.
> Fuck off.
Mako is dead, he's not coming back, no professional actor is ever going to even want to sound like him when doing a character that can be in any way related to him even if they could for obvious reasons. You only have three options: kys and go suck Mako's dick in the afterlife, accept it and shut up or stop watching the series and move on like most people did 13 years ago.
>People do voices that sound exactly like other people's voices all the time
PLease provide one example, in professional voice acting, of any single individual who actually imitated to perfection the voice of the person they were replacing.

That's terrible.

I've heard vocaroos with better impressions.

All I can hear is russian / jew accent. Listen to him do his episode 5 lines:

youtube.com/watch?v=EKMFL-jcHUk

>Perhaps annihilating this scum...

It's literally Jerry Seinfeld asking what's the deal with stuff.

Isn't Aku supposed to sound like a depressed tired Jew, due to his MALAISE?

youtube.com/watch?v=_NefOZ7FjE8
I always like french Aku as a kid, his intro sounds more menacing

I think that line is particularly bad too. I think Greg has issue hitting the high notes like Mako could while still keeping the emotion to it. He sounds better in the more subdued Aku scenes. I wonder how he'll sound saying

>Foooooolish Samuraiiii

its trash

Absolutely terrible

Secret Double Toasted thread?

Depression doesn't usually cause you to switch regional accents.

And the 4 other posters that replied to (You).

>PLease provide one example, in professional voice acting, of any single individual who actually imitated to perfection the voice of the person they were replacing.

Dan Castellaneta of course is the obvious low hanging fruit, though far from the only one in history who's been able to make good reproductions of others' voices. He did a great job doing the Robin Williams / genie voice in the second Aladdin movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=10S428LRcUY

And he did a great job replacing Phil Hartman as Troy McClure. He's pretty good at doing all sorts of voices that sound extremely different from his own.

New Aku is a low-energy, spic sounding fart. It's pretty fucking bad.

I would legit pay human dollars for the whole season to be done this way

Anu Cheeki Breeki is rather disappointing, almost as disappointing as the whole season focussing on these literally-who-gives-a-shit seven daughters and Ashi.

That wasn't perfection, if we get picky his voice does sound 3-4 notes below William's. He does sound a bit more similar than greg/mako but are still identifiable from one another, and we're still talking about a character whose voice goes through a lot of synthetic modulations every other sentence. But answer me this question? Who is a bigger name of the two? I have honestly never heard of the guy you speak about (although to be fair I didn't know much about Greg either, but most of his roles have also involved replacing), even the most casuals will know who Robin Williams or Mako are; maybe Castellaneta doesn't have an issue with staying under someone's shadow?
This was also an exact example of a voice actor being kicked because they didn't agree on terms with the producer and so got kicked in favor of hiring an imitator, I'm pretty sure if you sell yourself as imitator you will never aspire to a paycheck as big as an original deal.

Indeed.

>That wasn't perfection

It's as close to perfection as anything else I've heard anyone try in reproducing another person's voice. And it's a billion miles ahead of Greg Baldwin trying to do Aku. For one thing Dan Castellaneta didn't give Genie or Troy McClure a random new accent.

>Who is a bigger name of the two?

Easily Dan Castellaneta, he's been voicing a bunch of the major Simpsons characters for a very long time.

To make this less subjective though, even as hyped as everyone is about Samurai Jack returning you can plug "Dan Castellaneta" and "Greg Baldwin" into Google and see over twice as many results returned for "Dan Castellaneta".