Unpopular Opinions thread

I will admit it's jarring to completely change a show's art style from one season to another, but I prefer Season 2's designs to Season 1's of American Dragon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ONtEYSrLZkM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Batman rocks.

Why did they change it? I need a quick rundown

Not sure, but personal experience is that it usually is because of money

Nobody's certain, but the characters probably looked too young for a show they were trying to target at pre-teens.

For people yes, but creatures get uglier and less imaginative.

Why'd he go from Asian to Mexican?

>because of money

Weird coming from a channel belonging to Disney, but guess even a company as wealthy as them need to make budget cuts sometimes

I have never seen a single image so accurately summarize the difference between 2000s art and 2010s art.

I unironically enjoy TTGo. It's one of the better shows on Cartoon Network right now.

>spud before and after weed

The only thing about the new designs I didn't like were his and his grandpa's dragon forms. Gramps had a baby head and Jake looked like a red, dangling used condom.

Derrick J Wyatt happened

I heard it was because the original character designer was a gigantic furry.

To the surprise of nobody.

It's because the original designs were more difficult to animate.

Teen Titans is overrated, and Raven is one of the worst goth waifus

The show's ratings were not great, but not horrible either. But it was Disney's most expensive show at the time so they were going to cancel it based on that.

The creators managed to get a deal for a second season on the condition that they do it with a much smaller budget. So they redesigned everyone to make them easier and less expensive to animate.

And it was cheaper, but the show's ratings dropped in season 2 and that doomed it anyway.

I still love Gumball.

>Teen Titans is overrated
I agree

I grew up thinking top was better, but looking back, the bottom is much better outside the dragon forms

Also true, it's probably a 7/10 with a few 8/10 episodes

This isnt unpopular, Sup Forums is just contrarian

The new Samuri Jack is an overrated cash in. Its like watching a completely different show but with Samuri Jack characters. Not because its 'mature' but it doesnt feel like its the real Jack or Aku.

Am I the only SJ fan who doesnt like the new series?

SU Season 4 is good.

I'm sure you are not but why did you post that here?

It feels different because it has been a decade since the last season. You just cant get back into a flow after that long of a hiatus

The real reason they cancelled Joke Long is because TOM roasted him to death.

youtu.be/ONtEYSrLZkM

I like the bottom one for everything except Jake himself.

that's nintendon't level of savagery

Fuck Flash's rogue's gallery.
Moana had some of the best songs from a Disney film ever.
Baldwin as Aku is perfectly good.
Kappa Mikey was actually okay.
Harley Quinn was never good.

TTGo is not that bad of a show and makes for decent brainbleach at least. It's kinda sad so many autists are still beating a dead horse, wanting the show to be canceled even though lots of little kids and their parents love the show.

I like everything about season 2. Even the dragon designs

Perhaps sjws and the tumblr boogeyman don't actually influence Sup Forums related media seeing how little those people actually purchase or watch the products.

The Land Before Time sequels 2-7 were gun and enjoyable
Ben 10: Alien Force and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien were a lot better than Omniverse
The Legend of Korra is good and not nearly as flawed as some Sup Forumsntrarians make it out to be
Teen Titans Go! isn't that bad

>gun
fun*

This is coming from someone who loves cartoons more than anime, but anons that argue that anime has surpassed western animation are completely right. Everyone always argues otherwise but it's so painfully apparent that even a couple of decades ago with really low budgets the japs were kicking everyone's ass at making animated shows. Western animation simplifies designs but keeps the same level of movement as they did beforehand, and it objectively all looks worse and more minimalist and lazy and I honestly can't believe anyone with a pair of working eyes can look at anime and then at modern cartoons and say that out of the two, modern cartoons are in any way better. It's bad enough when a single show or movie from japan can eclipse the quality of multiple shows and movies from america, but when you remember the sheer volume of stuff that comes out of japan and consider how many shows of that kind of quality regularly come out? It's willful ignorance and delusion to pretend something isnt seriously lacking with western animation.

Yes, shitty moeblob shows look a thousand times better than cartoon network originals. There are nikoniko anime with comparable animation to steven universe, with the same amount of animation but flat out better drawings. To say otherwise is to be fucking blind. I fucking love cartoons but lying about the state of things only hurts the medium. We only got revolutionary new wave cartoons when people were sick of pretending that nothing but WB and disney shorts was fine.

It's literally just the equivalent of comic book nerds being okay with shitty cape comics for kids being the highlight of the medium and its not okay.

I still hate anime though. Although that might be because I can't get into eastern culture

IT'S THE ONLY FUCKING SHOW ON CN RIGHT NOW

>Unpopular Opinions
CW DCTV > Marvel-Netflix shows.

but American Dragon is nowhere near similar to Naruto

did the Juniper Lee creator beg CN to do this?

Buff dragon > noodle dragon

Batman and the Joker sucks. They're not interesting.

I really wish they'd just kill Joker off. Never come back.

The style itself is fine, but the Dragon designs are a notable step back from the original. I think that's what most people had a problem with

This

I prefer S1 of Spongebob to S2 and 3. Aside from the superior voice direction and characterization, It just had a sense of charm and atmosphere that the later seasons lacked.

I'm just glad that Jake didn't have that annoying nasally voice that Asians somehow have in cartoons.

is this from ugly americans?

SexualLobster is fucking garbage. Garbage art, garbage sound, and garbage humor

Psychicpebbles is a 1 trick pony hack who got to where he is due to "Le Wacky Voice XDXDXD!!" and much more talented people

S1 SpongeBob is k. 2 and 3 were much better

80% of super hero cartoons are bland and boring

Hanna-Barbera's only good cartoons are Scooby-Doo, the Flintstones, and the Jetsons. Everything else was meh to bad

Avatar got incredibly stale after the first season. I stopped watching halfway through the second, saw the final 3 episodes, and never felt the urge to see what happens in between

Jackie Chan Adventures >>>>> most action cartoons

>TFW I unironically liked American dragon
>TFW I felt empty after the end
If I remember correctly his crush moved out of town and the series ended right?

Tangled is a boring movie. The characters are lame, the dialogues are lame, the animation and designs are good, but overall it was mediocre at best.

There was this big clusterfuck involving time travel that resulted in her never being adopted by the huntsclan so she and Jake never even technically met.

I feel like the show did massive redesigns when people complained Jake's dragon form was too European.

Which is a legit criticism though.

Disney has always been a mediocre company.

Well he's half white. Honestly I have no problem with making him more noodly to look more like a Chinese dragon, but it was executed poorly.

>Unpopular Opinions
American Dragon is shit.
Not shitposting, I've never seen anything praise-worthy in the show. It was rather bland and whenever it tried to get serious it would look unconvincing at best and cringeworhy at worst because of troubles with pacing and storytelling.
For instance, the dark dragon overlord or some shit they fought at the end of s1. IIRC, they literally dumped bunch of construction beams on him to defeat him, and this is gotta be one of the stupidest villain defeats ever. Like why then all the pathos about him being so much of a threat?
Tell me what you want about Alex being a hack, but at least he knew when to stick to jokes and when to play things straight.

Almost every cartoon airing now is awful.

That's not how it ended, though. What you're describing is the ending of the first half of the season. The actual series ends with the Dark Dragon reappearing, prompting Jake to ask Rose for help, which ended up in his arrest because she didn't believe him. Later on, Jake's dad ends up learning the truth about dragons and is obliged to help the family out during a big battle. They're fighting the Dark Dragon and failing until Rose comes unexpectedly and they win and yadda yadda. It turns out that the picture of Jake and Rose triggered most of Rose's memories back and she returned to help. They actually kiss at the end.

Maybe if they had the guts to go with as the ending, the series would be less shit.

I agree 100%. I love cartoons but lately I've had to go to older shows in order to watch anything western (just finished rewatching Duck Dodgers), considering the amount of media I like to consume.

I'm currently watching over 5 or so anime, ranging from okay to great this season alone. As for cartoons currently airing, Samurai Jack - that's basically it (I'll watch R&M when it starts airing regularly but I can't really count it now). SJ has been only mostly good but sketchy at times.

It just doesn't compare to the quantity AND quality of shows Japan produces.

That's not an unpopular opinion.