The Force Awakens recalls classic Star Wars mythology and hits the same key plot points that A New Hope did

>The Force Awakens recalls classic Star Wars mythology and hits the same key plot points that A New Hope did
>Sup Forums hates it, calls it derivative and soulless
>The Last Jedi subverts all expectations by killing the mythological role Luke Skywalker plays for the audience, deconstructs his character, shows him to be not just a Mary Sue but a real human capable of flaws, not tied down to the lessons he learned as a young man but rather an ever changing autonomous agent who makes mistakes and grows from them, actually constructs a viable original step in Luke's character arc rather than making him Obi-Wan 2.0 to Rey's Luke which would continue the formulaic trend of The Force Awakens
>Sup Forums hates it, wants the old Luke back, wants everything to be the same

Autism.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MB7SHZ3cdBY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ten disney dollars deposited into account.

No actually, I fully agree with the overall Sup Forums sentiment on VII. It IS derivative and to an extent soulless. But The Last Jedi goes against all these criticisms to create something wholly original, it gives Sup Forums what they should want. But because the board is full of virgins who think the prequels are acceptable forms of filmmaking, they can't accept any idea that goes against Lucas-senpai's vision.

Mark Hamill also thought that the lightsaber at the end of VII should have flown into Luke's hand instead of Rey's. He genuinely thought it'd be a good idea to completely undermine the journey Rey makes during the film and turn VII into even more of a brainless nostalgic tribute to the original trilogy. He doesn't not know he's talking about. He's not a screenwriter, and Sup Forums needs to stop treating his word as gospel.

bump

Normies like it and I hate normies.

Mark was right if only because rey is a boring character

My problem is that if you take the shock and twist out of the subverted expectations, you get nothing

Finn and Rose were pointless
Poe was pointless
All the things people cared about? Snoke's backstory, Rey's parents, what have you? Pointless

Like yeah good job you didn't make ESB again. You went so out of your way to not be like ESB, you even made sure to make a bad movie!

You’re defending a movie where an old woman glides through space with her magic powers, superman pose and all.

>recalls classic Star Wars mythology
They literally blow up a literal Death Star again. That's not "recalling" or "hinting at" or "building on the mythology"

> Luke Skywalker story-line is actually good
> Rey, Kylo, Snoke plays well
> Fails with everything else

George was smart to not have more than two story-lines play in a single film

Reminder that only altright trolls from POL dislike the Last Jedi

Having Luke save her would have been more realistic, then he could have trained her.

Just because something is derivative doesn't make it bad

Just because something is original doesn't make it good

And vice versa

TFA was note for note like the original to an embarrassing extent, therefore disappointing. TLA is fucking horribly written and directed, therefore disappointing. This is not hard to understand.

Was TLJ made for literal children? Watching it I felt like I was watching Harry Potter but in space.

>it's the same so it sucked
TFA sucked for many reasons.
>it's different so it's good
No.

Sup Forums just wanted the them to end the movies in the 80's. Go back and take it out behind the shed and shoot it before it can mutate into an abomination.

>make a bad movie people on tv didn't like that was similar
>make a bad movie people on tv didn't like that was dissimilar

damage control team activated, 3 or 4 of you fags in here

I haven't seen it since Star Wars is a childish franchise created to sell toys to babies and man-children. Yes, that includes the OT you faggots.

Different does automatically mean good you retard. I fucking hate the mental hopes people go through to defend this garbage movie.

Last Jedi was bad because the (first order) seem like chumps
The rebellion is 50 people and run by post menopausal women
It's not a war but 2 hours of a giant ship slowly following another ship and lacks the scope of other movies
Also Space Vegas was pointless

Otherwise, it's better than Force Awakens: not sure why Disney didn't have a plan for a trilogy from the start though . Seems odd.
Rian clearly hated JJ's stuff and went out of his way to trash it

So I know this is bait now so I'm gonna tell you why it doesn't make sense so hopefully you get something better.

People want new shit, not old shit. But they also want to keep the old shit the same. so make new shit, not old shit and make sure new shit doesn't effect old shit.

Subversion is not a good thing in itself, except maybe for (((postmodernist))) rats like you OP, it depends on the way it's done. And btw there are still lots of rebooting (hoth and throne room where you have the impressions to hear literally the same lines than in RTJ).
Try again disneytard. You do know that your shilling make us hate you and your boss even more, right?

Luke was already flawed in the original trilogy, flawed doesn't mean a literal retard coward. Luke was never afraid of trying whatever he could to save his friends. This old man is not Luke.

Lets not forget he also tries to kill his best friends son because he senses the dark side in him. Like the fuck Luke, your entire Jedi training was finding the balance between light and dark. You let fuckin Vader get absolution FFS.

I just hate Sup Forums and every single dumb manchild that visits this board.

They pretend to be these intellectual, cynical le contrarians, when they tehmselves are the biggest sheep of all.
And they are angry virgins who get buttmad if a Woman character is shown in a positive way at all...
This board should jut be deleted because nothing good ever comes out of here

>shows him to be more than a Mary Sue
Luke was never a Mary Sue, he failed all the time throughout the OT and grew as a character.

>makes mistakes and learns from them
Makes one giant mistake completely at odds with his character development in the OT, then sits on a rock for a decade sulking. Hardly "growth."

>Rather than making him Obi-Wan 2.0
They already did that with Han so they made Luke into Yoda 2.0

It wasn't bad because it was "too original," the writing was shit especially (but not limited to) the character of Luke Skywalker.

Btw the fucking actor himself said many times in interviews he didn't agree at all with that "subversion" of yours, disneyshill. Your subversion is an humiliation and a literal assassination.

>buttmad about strong women
Sup Forums loves Ripley, Sarah Connor, and OT Leia. They were well-written with distinct personalities, skills, and flaws they had to overcome to grow as people. It's not Sup Forums's fault that Hollywood is so bad at writing female characters.

So Leia's a Jedi now? And Jedi can come back from the dead in the vacuum of space?

>people compare TFA to ANH
>go so far out of your way to avoid comparisons with ESB that you make a Star Wars movie as bad or worse than AotC

BRAVO RIAN

EU had plenty of female characters that fanboys loved like Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, and Ysanne Isard.

Disney just decided to throw out already established, popular characters, and replace them with shitty alternatives.

There already was strong female characters, Disney didn't have to fuck everything up with executive meddling for an issue that didn't fucking exist in the first place.

>OT Leia
>well-written with distinct personality, skills and flaws

10 Lucas dollars deposited into account

Why aren't more people taking about this scene? Why is Luke using Anakin's lightsaber? And why is his projection younger looking? Shouldn't this be a dead giveaway that he isn't real?

She didn't wear underwear, how is that not a distinct personality ?

>goes against all these criticisms to create something wholly original,

youtube.com/watch?v=MB7SHZ3cdBY

I mean, she was. She was irreverent, mouthy, imperious, and also an entitled brat (which she overcame to become a good leader and to be able to make friends). She took charge as soon as Han and Luke showed up and contributed to them getting off the Death Star.
Take those Lucasbucks back though because Padme and Shmi fucking sucked.

Luke was never a mary sue, kill yourself.

No one on Crait knew what he looked like now besides Chewbacca and Rey.

he did 1v1 vader with no training beyond making a spaceship levitate a bit

autism the post OP

But he had Anakin's saber, the one Kylo destroyed dammit. Also he looked older in the Jedi academy flashback.

>Vader clearly is toying with him the entire time, wants to capture him
> Has his hand cut off and disarmed, barely manages to escape

Whoa...just like Rey.

He still had more training than Rey and got completely BTFO by Vader.

Too bad the movie isn't about Luke

What screenplays have you written user
I'm sure Mark has read more screenplays than you as well