RIAN AND MARK COMMENT ON THE DEATH OF LUKE

>“I had huge hesitance,” Johnson says of ending one of the most beloved characters in movie history. “I was terrified. It was a growing sense of dread when I realized this was going to make sense in that chapter.”

>Johnson said he discussed it extensively with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and members of the Star Wars story group before committing to it.
>“It was not like I wrote the script and dropped it on their desk. It was very important to me that I was collaborating with the folks at Lucasfilm from the word go,” he said. “I moved to San Francisco for a few months and would go in a few times a week to keep them up to date, spewing my ideas out, especially the big ones.”
>Johnson’s goal was creating a finale for Luke “that pushes the audience and thus the character.”

>“Well, I’m still in denial,” Hamill joked. “I just think he transported somewhere else.” Hamill dealt with the news of his character’s demise in stages of grief. You already heard him express denial. Originally, the actor reacted with bargaining. “The first thing I said was, ‘Can’t you wait and do this in Episode IX?’”

>But Johnson said it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters as the trilogy reached its end. (J.J. Abrams will return to make the next installment, set for release in 2019.)
>“I think the hero’s journey of Luke Skywalker concluded in Return of the Jedi. This [trilogy] is the hero’s journey of Rey, and Finn, and Poe,” Johnson said. “The [ongoing] story of Luke is one that has to play in tandem with that of Rey.”

ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-last-jedi-spoilers-rian-johnson-mark-hamill-luke-skywalker-revelations/2/

Well Sup Forums was Rian right?

>It was a growing sense of dread when I realized this was going to make sense in that chapter.”
Good news Rian, your fears are unfounded. It didn't make sense.

I answer to Rian

I hope Rian gets Tranked. Faggot deserves it.

I wish the lightsaber wound from his ghost/apparition would transfer to his real body instead of him just getting fatigued and falling off his rock

>it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters as the trilogy reached its end

>“Well, I’m still in denial,” Hamill joked. “I just think he transported somewhere else.” Hamill dealt with the news of his character’s demise in stages of grief. You already heard him express denial. Originally, the actor reacted with bargaining. “The first thing I said was, ‘Can’t you wait and do this in Episode IX?’”

>I WANT MY PAYCHECK FROM THE TOY SALES

Calling it, JJ will retcon Luke to teleporting

>Luke unlocks Instant Transmission

killing luke to make room for the new characters makes perfect sense but by that logic can you explain me why leia has so much screen time and is still alive even if the actress is dead?

>Well, I’m still in denial,” Hamill joked
>joked
Doesn't sound like a joke to me

>It was nesescary to keep the focus on the new characters
You mean a cast of litetally whos that no one cares about? The characters whos actions you made pretty much irrelevant by your own shitty directing? Luke died like a faggot so you could make Rey "Top Jedi" and yet she's a fucking nobody by your own hand.

hope rian suicides by two bullets to the back of the head. hope he is ostracized by the community he thought he was the leader of

this is the face of him after watching the movie. It's likely that they killed him post production and he had no idea

>It was a growing sense of dread when I realized this was going to make sense in that chapter.

But it didn't make any sense at all. From a physical/logical standpoint, did he "run out" of Force power and die because of it? Is that a thing that can happen? Is the Force like chakra in Naruto? Or did he just lose the will to live?

But that aside, from a thematic standpoint, his job isn't done at all, so there's no reason for him to depart or transcend or whatever. Like, if the need to stop Kylo and ensure the future of the Jedi is what's anchoring him to the mortal coil, delaying Kylo for like 10 minutes is a footnote in achieving that. Sure Rey has his old books or whatever, but I'm sure she'd be much more secure in ensuring the Jedi continue with, like, maybe some help or something. God knows I wouldn't want to be a 19-year old and be told "lmao go figure it out kid, you're the last hope btw". Shit, Luke should be intimately aware of that fact himself, having lived through it.

It just feels like Rian knew he needed an "oomph" moment to round out the movie because it was just kind of weak overall (sans the Rey and Kylo stuff), so he just said oh well, better copy what JJ did in the last movie but with Luke, except it doesn't make any in-universe or thematic sense.

They could have set it a hundred years after RotJ and not completely invalidated the efforts of the original trilogy's heroes making them mere shades of the people they grew to become and giving them all bad ends.

He knew they were killing him off, I guess he just didn't know how it would play out. Feels bad.

what is with this trend of women destroying established creative franchises
>halo
>mass effect
and now star wars

>This [trilogy] is the hero’s journey of Rey, and Finn, and Poe,” Johnson said

You motherfuckers heard that?! Fuck Kylo Ren aka Ben cuck Solo. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

kylo fags on suicide watch

It's amazing how they hired somebody even wost than Jew Jew "Rehash my movie" Abrahams

They fucked it up big time if anything. The way his death is written it's so blatant they just wanted to get rid of him because he was inconvenient going forward. And the new characters are not interesting enough to carry it themselves. Why the fuck are they in such a hurry to push them anyway? They own the whole franchise indefinitely, there is plenty of time to do that.

It's just plain lazy to kill off the main character of the original in a lazy sequel like this. There's no need to try and pass it off as a stroke of genius or a big clever risk.

>>Johnson said he discussed it extensively with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and members of the Star Wars story group before committing to it.
HAHAHA. He has to ask Kathleen Kennedy to kill characters in his independent nu-script movie. what else does he have to ask?? This bitch isn't a creative, why does she even have a say. Fucking stupid cash grabs made by a committee of old women who get there by sucking cocks and want revenge on men as if they ahd been raped. Just like the Hollywood actresses, they did it for their career and now want to pass as victims of the patriarchy.

women didn't ruin Mass Effect and Star Wars. Bad plots and a lack of direction ruined both.

Halo always sucked ass, though.

>>But Johnson said it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters as the trilogy reached its end. (J.J. Abrams will return to make the next installment, set for release in 2019.)
>>“I think the hero’s journey of Luke Skywalker concluded in Return of the Jedi. This [trilogy] is the hero’s journey of Rey, and Finn, and Poe,” Johnson said. “The [ongoing] story of Luke is one that has to play in tandem with that of Rey.”

THEY LITERALLY KILLED HIM FOR MORE REY SCREENTIME, NO-ONE CARES ABOUT HER FUCK YOU JOHNSON YOU CUNT HACK

Luke's death served zero purpose but to get him out of the way

They can't make their own shit so they grab onto things men create and just shove their vaginas into every nook and cranny.

I like how the same people who shit on everything else about Star Wars say that Luke should have died because he was doing some extremely exhausting Force projection thing and of course it killed him. These people need to be rounded up and shot. Here we have the hack who made this POS saying he needed to kill him off so he did. Now we can enjoy the hero's journey without having to look at the old people.

This. If this is their legitimate excuse they should have offed Leia in TLJ as well.

For whatever reason I cannot fathom, the people in charge of Lucasfilm just do not like Luke and Han.

>literally the only white male left in the cast is being side lined

Dont forget ghostbusters (the first one i mean)

>it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters
Why should I care about Rey winning against the Empire 2.0? It's all a shitty nonsensical rehash. Focus on the setting you fucking numale.

>Halo always sucked ass

this.
this so much.

Because she's a woman and the femistasi-SJW infested fan base would literally shit their pants in the cinemas if she actually died on screen. Disney don't want to cause mass deaths, and hambeasts are prone to heart attacks.

Women have always hated geeks.
It's just now they are able to do something about it.

>a white woman and two minorities

lmfao

>Johnson said he discussed it extensively with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and members of the Star Wars story group before committing to it.

Corporate yes-man confirmed

Jesus, no wonder they wanted him in charge of the series so badly. Now where are all those people who were trying to talk up how "based Rian" was going to save the series and turn it into something creator-driven?

I know right? They could've made a space opera spanning a few trilogies where the new characters inheret the universe and the old can be retired gracefully but nope, gotta just shove the old aside and give us shit nobody cares about.

she's not even a fucking jedi

>menaces an old man with a fucking lightsaber when he btfo's her in stick to stick combat

she's fucking sith.

This.

Also fucking this. Just lol @ Kylo ''Sissy'' Cuck fans.

the halo series should've ended at 3
there was no reason to keep pumping out shit tier sequels

She probably dictated that he had to kill Luke. I bet he intended for Leia to be the one to die and had to write in the Superman scene to keep her around. I hate to sound like some angry kiss less virgin, but the force is FEMALE now.
The binary Suns when Luke dies isn't just to be pottery with his introduction. He sees one sun, we flash to Rey, he sees the second, we flash to Leia, Luke leaves existence.

Rey already know everything and she is a "fucking badass" so her journey is already over since she beat up the bad guy 2 times.
Finn is not a force user for some reason but just a random resistance member doing jack shit
Poe is already a fucking hero and will just destroy a important target in episode 9

The fuck he is talking about seriously

fpbp

>Finn
What the FUCK did Finn even do in this movie? A subplot that ultimately lead to fucking nothing, and actually hurt the efforts of the other characters? He didn't develop as a character at all, he did fucking busywork to pad screentime.

why didn't they kill off the fag robot

>For whatever reason I cannot fathom, the people in charge of Lucasfilm just do not like Luke and Han.

Because they're both hero figure white males, so they have to be deconstructed and destroyed.

>the halo series should've ended at 3
okay I'll accept that
I really like Reach tho, captured the "we're screwed no matte what" feel

They're strong white male characters with compelling history. That's reason ebough for sandy vagina'd feminists.

Fuck Rian, I hope that retard gets the trilogy taken away from him

>For whatever reason I just cannot fathom

They needed the old cast to bring the old fags money to Disney shekel grabbers. The plan was to kill an old charcater for each movie. Han, Luke and then Leia. Even with Carrie's death they are sticking to the plan to confuse ppl as a possible scene of her in 9. She should have been killed in 8 if it wasn't for the shekels.

absolute fucking cunt

Agreed. What a complete fucking ass.

>For whatever reason I cannot fathom
It's a mystery.

>Luke's entire arc this film is forgiving himself for his failure with Kylo and becoming a good teacher to Rey
>Dies before he can really teach Rey anything

You can kill the old cast off only so long as something as great replaces it. That's not the case for Marvel Wars.

>“There are many small things that would give you some clues as to what’s going on with Luke."
>“There are so many little details,” added producer Ram Bergman. “The first time you watch the movie, it’s a little bit overwhelming. But the second time you’re more relaxed, and you can start picking up so many details Rian planted throughout.”
This is what disney actually believes

>I think the hero’s journey of Luke Skywalker concluded in Return of the Jedi.

Then why the fuck did they rehash everything? This is Lukes story gender swapped also
>Can't have Luke
>Need to focus on main characters
Jesus fucking christ learn to write

Luke Skywalker, who was still optimistic enough to believe teh most evil man in teh galaxy was still possibly good, didn't believe his nephew who was an angsty teenager was capable of being good.

I am an old fag and I would have gone, much like other old fags, just because of the Star Wars name. I'd give it more of a shot too because they wouldn't be making the stories and heroes I grew up with inconsequential.

>bars and strip clubs to slam poetry and yoga
>women didn't ruin mass effect

Considered it done already. They just can't announce it now, that would be a disastrous PR. They'll wait about 3 months, just between TLJ and the Solo movie and say it was cancelled for creative difference. The thing I'd like to hear is that Kathleen Kennedy got the boot as well. She's a walking disaster.

>“Well, I’m still in denial,” Hamill joked.
Me too, old friend.

>returns in Episode 9 as a Force Ghost
problem solved

No the entire Arch was turning Luke Skywalker, one of the most beloved heros in cinematic history, into a comedic side plot with titty milk, winks at the camera and stupid one liners. They also try to make him unlikable by making him do shit completely unheroic and against his character. Pack of cunts.

>But Johnson said it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters as the trilogy reached its end.
>This [trilogy] is the hero’s journey of Rey, and Finn, and Poe

Oh boy can't wait to see more of Rey who is universally liked and instantly the most powerful jedi to have ever existed.
Fuck this guy.

Finn and Poe were pointless

There entire plot went no where and was just there for character development and to introduce new action figures

If a character entire point in a movie is character development then they don't need it. You can have them start off the way you want them end and just change their interactions and in the end it will ALWAYS be more emotional

>the title

The movie's been out for ONLY 2 days in the US. HOLY SPOILERS! I expect discussion within threads, but throwing it in the title without spoiler tags was a bit much.

>But Johnson said it was necessary to keep the focus on the new characters
THEN YOU FUCKS SHOULDN'T HAVE INCLUDED ANY OF THE OT CHARACTERS IN THE NEW TRILOGY! HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

This, fucking christ i wish i had a twitter sometimes just to tell the director hiw much he and whoever wrote this cough (kathleen kennedy) and tell them how terrible and shitty a job they've done. I actively loathe star wars now. And most people i know irl do too because what its become compared to how much better it was when handled appropriately

>two major heroes of the saga die within 24 hours

wew

If you gave a shit you wouldn't have come to Sup Forums

I just rewatched TFA and I honestly don't see how Rian was supposed to salvage this turd.

>dude the Republic is now The Resistance just turn off your brain bro

the cam rip was out 3 hours after the first airing, you have no excuse

It's new Star Wars. Of course he was going to die. He's the only character people care about in this shit trilogy so they killed him off to get an emotional reaction.

thats when you know its not about people enjoying a story. its about putting a "message" out for everyone to know about it.

>be Mark Hamill
>think you are on the side of the good guys, making your twitter posts and shit
>have both you and Han's characters decimated and killed off because wh*te males have no place in The Resistance
>the only other wh*te male is the son/nephew of the other wh*te males and he is a traitorous little shithead that will die in the next movie
>be surprised by this
I think he is just stupid if he didn't see how this would play out with these literal "The Empire are white supremacist" writers. They literally said that.
Mark Hamill is a god damn idiot.

>HEY LET'S KILL EVERY CHARACTER THAT EVERYONE LOVES AND ARE THE MAIN REASON THEY WANT TO SEE THE NEW TRILOGY SO THEY LOVE THE NEW CHARACTERS, IT WILL WORK

Gee, how can you be this retarded? Even Toriyama AKA weeb George Lucas knew this wasn't a good move and kept Goku there even when he was dead, so people wouldn't hate Gohan

DUDE WE KILLED THE EMPEROR, THE REPUBLIC OWNS TEH GALAXY BUT WE ONLY GOT A HANDFUL OF OLD SHITTY SHIPS, THE MAJORITY OF WHICH GOT BLOWN UP BECAUSE THEY WERE REDICULOUSLY ALL STATIONED ABOVE ONE PLANET LMAO

Adding a spoiler tag would have been nice.

Maybe I want to wait till I watch with family with good quality video?

Just add a spoiler tag. That's all that would have been needed. Ctrl + S.

That's hindsight bias.

Annoys me. I spent so much time away from trailers...

soon as my friend gives me Rian's contact info, i'm dumping it on Sup Forums so everyone can bombard his phone & house with complaints

Blame Disney for this not Rian.

I don't understand their approach to it at all. They could have made a trilogy that logically progressed the OT characters. They could still be present as secondary characters but written such that their presence is simply not as heavily warranted. Luke would be the hardest, and it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world to have him die similarly in the middle of the trilogy except without destroying his character and making it so he died with zero accomplishments. During this you could develop interesting new protagonists.

Instead they just reset everything back to A New Hope, shat on all the original character's accomplishments and made a bunch of quip machines. They waste the entire first film just looking for a OT character, spend the second one shitting on him and now they're already on their third film with leading protags nobody could give a single fuck about.

I mean they didn't even have to push new characters this early. What's the rush really? They could've got way more mileage out of the aged originals than killing them off. Too bad Carrie died because damn this whole thing needs a do-over.

He could have said no.

You made the idiotic mistake of coming to Sup Forums when you don't want star wars spoiled for you and you have the gall to complain about it?
Grow up and think ahead before you make dumb decisions in the future. Let this be a lesson to you.

REMINDER THAT LUKE IS NOW A CHILDKILLER WHO SUCKS THE TITS OF STRANGE ANIMALS FOR MILK

HE DIED ALONE

Yeah and then he turned around and ruined Gohan in the Buu saga.

And yet when Mark Hamill himself said he hated it he was ignored.
I wouldn't care about this shit under normal circumstances, it would be another bit of bad writing in a movie filled to the brim with it, but seeing how genuinely upset Mark is about this after he was so excited to reprise the role he loved so much is soul destroying.

I'm not saying don't mention it in posts. I wasn't even talking about the body of the header.

It's literally unspoiled in the first lines in the post. As if everyone has seen the movie.

>He could have said no
>To the Mouse
There ain't enough lube in the world.

I wouldn't put it past Disney to make it canon that Luke affectionately called the milky alien Mara.

It really is. Especially because Mark has been one of the fans of Star Wars as well. He loves Luke. He not only has to see how his character was destroyed, he also has to see how disappointed all the fans of Luke are with the realization that he was part of it.

You came here. You made the mistake. Own it.

>people like the star wars based around the stuff george lucas built
>"we must get rid of this as quickly as possible and insert our new OC and watered down rebels vs empire setting"
why did disney do this?