DiDio announced "Dark Matter," a new imprint for DC named after the theoretical particle in astrophysics

>DiDio announced "Dark Matter," a new imprint for DC named after the theoretical particle in astrophysics.

>DiDio said that Dark Matter is a small collection of titles designed to reignite the excitement of comic books..

>Dark Matter begins with Dark Nights: Metal, an event DiDio promised would be smaller in scale, but big in story.

>Dark Matter is designed to expand the DC Universe while "Rebirth" was meant to revitalize it.

Text sauce: newsarama.com/34145-dc-comics-retailers-only-presentation-at-diamond-retailer-summit-live.html

Pic related sauce: twitter.com/Comixace/status/855084044157104128

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Comixace/status/855085563065634816
ew.com/books/2017/04/20/dc-comics-superstars-unite-for-new-dark-matter-line/
ew.com/books/2017/04/20/dc-comics-superstars-unite-for-new-dark-matter-line/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>>"Dark Matter is a banner - not an imprint, not a world, not a universe."

I read that as Dank Matter

>a new imprint for DC named after the theoretical particle in astrophysics

you lost me at "theoretical particle"

>DiDio compared Dark Matter to the introduction of Barry Allen, the pairing of Lee & Kirby, and the Image founding as a moment in comic book history.

>Comparing things that happened organically to a fucking comitee agreed rebranding

>23:47
>According to a video presentation, Dark Matter is more artist focused.

Don't know if this intentional shade against how Marvel stated it's artists that push the needle

>JIm Lee video; Dark Matter brings writers AND artists to the fore. WE’ve culled some of the veteran talent for DC.

Sauce: twitter.com/Comixace/status/855085563065634816

I guess the fact they dont want the introduction of Imprints overshadowing one another is whats with the Milestone delay.

>Artist Andy Kubert appeared in the video, speaking about "New Challengers," a series in Dark Matter.
>John Romita, Jr. talked about The Silencer, a title he is drawing.
>No information about the titles other than the artist and title has been given.

>DiDio brought out Jim Lee, John Romita, Jr, Andy Kubert, and Greg Capullo to thunderous applause, introducing them as the "DC Master Class."

>Jim Lee: Dark Matter send message to young creators keep pushing forward keep creating new characters.

Fuck, new Challengers of the Unknown? IDK about what Silencer could be though. Also saving that image.

OK Didio, reign it in.

JUST NOW: ew.com/books/2017/04/20/dc-comics-superstars-unite-for-new-dark-matter-line/

>When it comes to making good comics, writers and artists are equally important. The balance is tricky, and at different times industry norms appear to favor one group over the other, but ultimately there’s not much use for a well-written comic with boring art or a visually stunning story with cardboard plot. That’s why DC Comics’ newest line of comic books, Dark Matter, is teaming up superstar artists with equally superstar writers — on a bevy of brand-new characters, to boot. In the video above, some of DC’s top creators describe the thinking behind the line.

>“What I love about Dark Matter is it’s a return to bringing both the writer and artist to the fore,” DC Publisher Jim Lee says in the video. “At our talent summit, we brought together some of our key creators, writers, and artists, and we sat around and talked about what was missing in comics, what we could do to create something different that maybe fans of this generation hadn’t seen before.”

>The line will kick off in August with Dark Nights: Metal, written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo. That’s right: The team behind a recent fan-favorite six-year run on Batman are once again teaming up for a DC comic, and this one promises to be unlike anything that came before. DC’s vague teaser text promises “a story that will examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, opening up worlds that are forged by nightmares.” In the video above, Capullo elaborates that they’re “opening doors nobody thought we were gonna go through… the promo I did was Batman holding two battle axes, so this is the kind of crazy stuff we’re gonna see in this.”

Hush.

and the last thing DC had that people kind of liked is now ruined by the retards that run it

That's very deliberate, appealing to artists as a selling point

>Dark Nights: Metal will be the launching pad for the rest of the Dark Matter line, with characters and storylines from other books being introduced here first. For instance, a teleporting teenager changed by the events of that book will go on to star in Sideways, which debuts in September. That book will be co-written by DC Publisher Dan DiDio and Justin Jordan and illustrated by Kenneth Rocafort. September will also see the launch of The Silencer. Written by Dan Abnett and drawn by John Romita Jr., that book will focus on Honor Guest, the former world’s deadliest assassin now trying for a quiet life in the suburbs until (surprise!) her former life comes back to haunt her, and she must become The Silencer to protect her family.

>In October, Detective Comics writer James Tynion IV teams up with Lee himself for Immortal Men, a story about five immortal siblings who “operate from the shadows, recruiting the elite against the foes who seek to bring about Armageddon.” October will also see Damage, written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel, in which army recruit Ethan Avery is granted the power “to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time.”

>The final book in the line, New Challengers, debuts in December and will be written by Snyder with art by Andy Kubert. As the title suggests, it is a reboot of Challengers of the Unknown, but with “a new cast” and “new mission.”

>DiDio announced "Dark Matter," a new imprint
>Dark Matter begins with ... an event
>Dark Matter is a banner - not an imprint
>DiDio compared Dark Matter to the cornerstones of Silver Age
I know we're a DC board but this sounds like a mess

So basically, what I'm getting is Dark Matter is gonna be basically what early Image was? Seems like crap and a terribly hard sell but again, with super star creative teams I assume it's gonna do well at first.

I was hoping The Immortal Men would be The Shade, Vandal Savage, Ressurection Man, etc. having to team up.

>those question marks

I know we're not getting Morrison but fuck I want him in on this.

>t. Marveldrone
What are you talking about retard?

>Lee talked about updating that process for the modern day, saying most current writers work with a full script, rather than plotting and giving "free rein" to the artists.
>He said Dark Matter is focused on rebuilding the relationship between writer and artist.

I think it's pretty clear that these are all gonna be new characters right? DC's literally just doing Image. This is the culmination of Lee being on DC to make another Image revolution where artists hold the key.

Image was all about "creator rights" until it just became about Todd's bank account. This seems more like Vertigo.

god damn it, that's a lot of imprints

>DC unironically considers Tony Daniel to be a superstar artist
Kubert and Romita are legacies
Lee's been the face of the company for 10+ years
Capullo and Rocafort are a stretch but I guess they sell

But Daniel?

ew.com/books/2017/04/20/dc-comics-superstars-unite-for-new-dark-matter-line/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Full creative teams here

>Dark Nights: Metal will be the launching pad for the rest of the Dark Matter line, with characters and storylines from other books being introduced here first. For instance, a teleporting teenager changed by the events of that book will go on to star in Sideways, which debuts in September. That book will be co-written by DC Publisher Dan DiDio and Justin Jordan and illustrated by Kenneth Rocafort. September will also see the launch of The Silencer. Written by Dan Abnett and drawn by John Romita Jr., that book will focus on Honor Guest, the former world’s deadliest assassin now trying for a quiet life in the suburbs until (surprise!) her former life comes back to haunt her, and she must become The Silencer to protect her family.

>In October, Detective Comics writer James Tynion IV teams up with Lee himself for Immortal Men, a story about five immortal siblings who “operate from the shadows, recruiting the elite against the foes who seek to bring about Armageddon.” October will also see Damage, written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel, in which army recruit Ethan Avery is granted the power “to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time.”

>The final book in the line, New Challengers, debuts in December and will be written by Snyder with art by Andy Kubert. As the title suggests, it is a reboot of Challengers of the Unknown, but with “a new cast” and “new mission.

Wait so it's just the Marvel Method in a new package? Didn't Lee do JL that way?

Already posted:

If we're lucky they'll make it to issue 20. If we're not, issue 8.

BASED DC

I don't know if these will sell, but this *has* to be the proper way of announcing entirely new properties right?

This is exactly the type of colossally idiotic bullshit we've come to expect from these morons that killed the best universe in comics.

>those writers
8 issues each. The big name artists bail after 5.

They can namedrop their distinctive competition's properties?
A see a lot of X-dudes here

retard

I literally don't understand what's going on.

What Dark Matter supposed to be? A new brand?

probable, but IDK. I mean they are saying artists as the selling point so I assume they'll stick around longer. But it's pretty possible that there'll be tons of delays

Basically a bunch of indie books being disguised as DC books

Is it just me or do none of the premises sound interesting in the slightest? Young Animals lineup (when announced) was way more hype and had a clearer vision, and even a sexy tagline "Dangerous comics for dangerous people"

Why not? I always wondered why solicits don't mention writers' and artists' more recent successes done for other companies

What exactly is ruined here? They're literally introducing new characters. No one is getting ruined.

well, marvel doesn't really do that. albeit I might be wrong

This seems to be the 90s Image in contrast to Young Animal's 90s Vertigo.

Note: I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

just random disney employees stalking Sup Forums ignore them

It's a property farm. Just like DC has been for the last decade. They clearly don't give a shit about making good comics.

>Romita said that when he worked with Frank Miller on Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, he only got about a dozen pages of plot treatment. It was planned for 64 pages, and it wound up being over a hundred. Meanwhile, when he worked with Miller on Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade, 5 pages of plot became 64 pages of art.

>"It's so much easier to work from a plot than from a script."

>Romita talked about his process turning plots into actual pages.

>Kubert said writer Neil Gaiman told him "You are the director, you are the filmmaker."

>All the artists spoke about the need for writers to allow artists to improvise and exercise creativity.

>"Micromanaging is the death knell," added Capullo.

>The audience echoed Romita's assertion that poor visual storytelling is one of the biggest problems in comics.

It can be cool, but it's going to be risky.
The idea with imprints is clever, because it makes people want to collect all of the stuff from specific imprint. But of course, they have to like the idea of the imprint first

Alan Moore though.

It really sounds like they don't know yet, or at least have trouble properly communicating their idea

>DiDio said that Image and Marvel are not DC's competiton - "Ultimately, I consider the competition to be TV, films, and video games, cause they're telling better stories than us."

I can almost picture Nick Spencer's autistic twitter post now

>Lee said the DC Master Class would expand to more than 20 artists this year.

>The catchphrase for Master Class is "Nulla Dies Sinna Linea," Latin for "Not a day without a line."

- END OF DC PRESENTATION -

>Meanwhile at Marvel

This feels extremely Image.

>The audience echoed Romita's assertion that poor visual storytelling is one of the biggest problems in comics.
shots are fired, especially that they come from Romita

It's pretty obvious what they're going for?

New properties with a focus on writer/artist story telling synergy (ftr, Marvel Method is the superior comics writing method) that's spinning out of the Snyder event.

What's not to get?

The only one I have zero interest in is the Venditti/Daniel one.

>DC’s vague teaser text promises “a story that will examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, opening up worlds that are forged by nightmares.” In the video above, Capullo elaborates that they’re “opening doors nobody thought we were gonna go through…
>the promo I did was Batman holding two battle axes, so this is the kind of crazy stuff we’re gonna see in this.”
This has got to be the funniest statement I've seen in weeks. What "crazy stuff" indeed.

kek

How about they focus on getting a halfway decent Justice League or Flash book before they once again drop the pretense and trick morons into buying new number ones with flashing neon signs?

They said these are all brand new characters so.

boring. wake me up when marvel starts an imprint

So SS,is gonna need new artists or else go monthly.

Based DiDio! This is an editor that respects his competitors, not persons like this piece of shit Spencer.

>they're going to introduce new heroes
>they're all going to be black, trans, and gay

Fuck, and DC started getting good again.

One does not preclude them doing the other you fucking twit.

Romita doesn't havee any problems with visual storytelling.

No, "muh faces" is not a criticism of visual storytelling

>Rebirth
>Second wave coming(?)
>Wildstorm
>Young Animal
>Dark Matter
What a time to be a DC bro!

>Dark Nights: Metal isn't going to be a Hawk book
boo

Sounds like a whole lot of nothing. Why is this its own imprint? Why not just publish the books as normal instead of attaching a gimmicky name to it?

Eh, The Silencer at least sounds like it could be something. That something being every action movie ever, granted, but still something. Definitely the kind of thing taylor made for the focus on art.

Fuck no, I’m not buying a book only because it has Jim Lee, JRJR, or Tony Daniel on it. I’m into what they’re saying, but they need to get better artists on this.

just imagine all the shitty movies and tv shows that can come from this!

>>Second wave coming(?)
Expect the replacement titles to the lowest-selling Rebirth titles so far to be announced as part of that wave.

I was thinking more in the line of tumblr art

Dan is the best comic book editor! Period! In the meantime Marvel continues to shitpost about their fans not buying their crap.

But they're making good comics right now. I can see how being raised on a diet of DANCE OFF BRO might impair your reading ability.

There is picture of Jim Lee drawing hawkman at the beginning of the video EW posted tho

This is like the Anti-DCYou, again gotta applaud DiDio for walking back on that stuff when it clearly wasn't working.

it looks like it's a bunch of new books about new heroes by creators with credibility to move them, it looks like DC thought about why books with new characters always fail and have decided to put big guns on it and make it corner stone in continuity.

Why put A-List creators on Batman when it'll sell regardless? Use it as a platform to make stars out of lesser know talent

pretty good idea, unlike Marvel who just repurposed and recast old heroes and then handed those characters off to their bullpen of untalented artists and writers they found off the street, while keeping the books so disconnected from everything until Crossover Season which destroys the flow of said book.

Marvel missed out on Kennith Rocafort he should have been on Avengers, X-Men, an Event or Spider-Man from day one not another failed attempt to get Captain Carol and Al "Sales Poison" Ewing over.

Kek Didio was never pretentious.

Based on the kick-off event I might look at the Sideways thing. And I'll look at the Damage rip-off Hulk thing.

The only one right now I think I'd be interested in buying would be New Challengers. Immortal Men and Silencer are a hard pass for me; I can't stand Tynion and I've had enough of Dan Abnett writing sexy tough chicks.

You have to go back MCUck

It absolutely does. This is yet another fresh coat of paint on the dumpster fire.

Where the fuck were you 10 years ago, Dan. Before all your better writers went to be #woke, beg for tv pilots, edit long-irrelevant anthologies and generall turn into shadows of their prime 52 selves. Fuck off, man.

People buy into gimmicks. If this was on the Rebirth line people would be wondering why the fuck are these new characters are being introduced there.

>it looks like it's a bunch of new books about new heroes by creators with credibility to move them, it looks like DC thought about why books with new characters always fail and have decided to put big guns on it and make it corner stone in continuity.
>Why put A-List creators on Batman when it'll sell regardless? Use it as a platform to make stars out of lesser know talent
Hint: the books are still going to fail.

Yeah good thing Marvel is putting out quality comi-

Oh. Wait.

>Wow. I do love when a group designated as "superstars" only includes men. That sends a great message to half their customer base.

This avenue of trolling doesn't make sense. This isn't a fresh coat of paint on an existing thing when it's an entirely separate line of new properties.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

Nooo!!!, DC you were doing great with Rebirht, why this???
Immortal men, Silencer, Damage and Sideways look boring and uninteresting...they will sell as good a meh comic of a small company or like Solo or Mosaic.
The only remotely interesting is Challengers but could be good as Cave Carson and still not be a success or boring as the new 52 blackhawks, team 7, men at war, etc,

The one that will sell is metal because of Batman who is only a one-shot.

Is Hanna Barbera kill?

>implying Marvel will announce a big surprise at their no-press-allowed presentation later today

But Rebirth is great though. I think you might have them confused with Marvel

>Why put A-List creators on Batman when it'll sell regardless? Use it as a platform to make stars out of lesser know talent

Tom King is tanking the book though but I'm confident that The Button Crossover is gonna put it back above the 100K line along with Flash.

Yeah but it'll have a stronger start with A-List talent. Nobody gives a shit about a new character, but a new character with Jim Lee on it? People would be hawking that shit.

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I guess this whole line will be the ultimate "are you an artfag or a writefag" challenge.

I think I'll try Sideways but only because rocafort is in it, he's literally the only artists in the universe that makes me buy a book for the art alone.

Nice company wars. Doesn't change the fact that DC has been uniformly terrible over the past decade directly due to these hucksters shilling their next event instead of attempting to establish even the most baseline level of consistent quality.

>Waid
>Better writers
He got Rucka back to "fix" Wondy, but there's no need for Waid. Waid was never good.

>2018
>Following the massive success of Dark Matters imprint, DC is proud to announce.....