BD franco-belge

Just finished pic related, did any of you read it ? I don't know the state of the translation.
The art is really cool with stunning double pages but I was kind of let down by the ending.
Anyway, bande dessinée thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mangafox.me/manga/dreamland/
mangafox.me/manga/radiant/v01/c001/1.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde's_100_Books_of_the_Century
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also I was trying to create this thread for a good 10 minutes, am I the only one whose appchan X has this issue ?

hold on is this a BD thread or a Franga thread ?

this is important

link for this? looks pretty

I was going for BD, franga is fine too. Threads are not frequent for both, though I can't remember a single Franga thread

Found it (in french) on planete-bd (dot) o r g. They got a lot of BD but I'm pretty sure they're all in french

Why are french Sup Forums media SO MUCH FUCKING GODDAMN better than the rest of the world?

Better question, how come it is still so much fucking underrated?

Hardly anything is available in english. Fuck, you can't even get the new Sky Doll volume digitally...

There's still no translation of this, sadly.

okay then my Top 3 of Franga
-Last Man
-Dreamland
-Radiant
translated scan for Dreamland
mangafox.me/manga/dreamland/

translated scan for Radiant
mangafox.me/manga/radiant/v01/c001/1.html

please support the official release

I don't understand why we don't export stuff more. Our domestic market is dying and translations are inexistant, what the fuck

Were you in the thread last week where an user recommended this?

just gonna go ahead and trot out what I rec'd last thread:
Anything by David B.
You Are There, Like A Sniper, Tolbiac Bridge and his WWI comics by Jacques Tardi
Blast and Ordinary Victories by Manu Larcenet
Donjon/Dungeon By Trondheim/Sfar with various artists
Anything by Stephane Blanquet (Toys In The Basement is his only long form comic in english unfortunately but he has a few stories in fanta's old Zero Zero anthology, also the old Last Gasp anthology too, and I'm sure he has a piece in Kramer's Ergot 7 but it's a drawing not a comic. same for Hotwire, I think he's in two of the three issues but I'd have to check)
Anything by Franquin
Speaking of Franquin, do you know one of his Gaston books features in Le Monde's 100 Best Novels of the Twentieth Century?! Also Tintin, Asterix and fucking Ballad of the Salt Sea are on there (which is in the top twenty if I remember rightly?). Good old Frenchies, having refined as fuck taste.
I also love Killoffer, his 676 Apparitions of Killoffer (his only work available in English apart from the MOME short stories, unfortunately) is a fucking absolute masterpiece. In fact anything by any of the L'Association founders is worth a read, I especially like J.C. Menu and Mattt Konture (yes it's spelled with three "t"'s) but I've never read anything by Stanislaus, have any user's read his work?
Emile Bravo and Nicholas Decrecy are fabulous, too.

Here's a Blanquet drawing

Here's a Killoffer

>Were you in the thread last week where an user recommended this?
Nope, this got rec'd to me on Sup Forums of all places, in a Made in Abyss thread
>Speaking of Franquin, do you know one of his Gaston books features in Le Monde's 100 Best Novels of the Twentieth Century?!
Seriously ? I was raised on Gaston, but I didn't know it was acknowledged like that

Only things I can rec are Seuls which is another one by Vehlmann, Les démons d'Alexia by Ers and Dugomier and La trilogie Nikopol by Enki Bilal, but I'm an entry-level BDphile (got a lot of Tintin, Astérix, Gaston ...)

Yeah man, check it out:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde's_100_Books_of_the_Century

Just noticed Edgar P. Jacob's Blake and Mortimer comics are on there, too!

>H.G Wells and J.R.R Tolkien BTFO by Hergé and Goscinny
Only in France

Oh, and I forgot to rec XIII, by Vance and Van Hamme.

>the new Sky Doll volume digitally...

I did find Russian versions of the black and white versions but other than that, yeah. It's very disappointing.

Also sorry to triple-post but YOU get raised on a comic by one of the medium's indisputable fucking masters whilst MY Britbong equivalent was fucking Dennis The Menace and Desperate Dan! I suppose I'm lucky enough to have had Leo Baxendale and Ken Reid comics when I was a wee 'un...

Really need to read Satanie. Dollars to doughnuts it'll get a English Translation sometime soon, Kerascoet projects do pretty well commercially and very well critically in English, so...what's the art style like? Coloured line drawings? Looser pen and ink style like Miss Don't Touch Me or the more precisely delineated fixed-width (almost ligne clair) drawing of Beauty? Or is it done in wonderfully subtle watercolour like Beautiful Darkness? Whichever, that cover looks lovely. Is it based on Dante, or something?

And what's "Franga"? Just a new memey name for French comics, or that horrible Western faux-manga?

I know! How hard does that fucking rule, Sup Forumsmrade?!

Yeah, it always surprise me when I see people here discussing and recommending Tintin or Asterix here because in France everybody has read them.
>what's the art style like?
I didn't read anything else from those artists so I can't compare, but I've seen it described as "naïve" a few time online. Let me wipe you up a collage real quick
>And what's "Franga"?
French manga, we're HUGE weebs so a new generation raised on manga is emulating it.
Spoiler is by one such artist, Gary Vanaka

>Is it based on Dante
No, it's the story of a young girl going spelunking with a team to find her missing big brother, which disappeared while trying to prove the existence of demons as the evolutionary step between homo neanderthalensis and homo sapiens. And then they find Hell.
>File too large 7.33 MB
Welp, I'll post the double page separately then

Damn, didn't uncheck spoiler
As I said the double pages really sold me on this, I actually had to re-save this one as a lossy jpg because it was still too big for Sup Forums

Uuurrghhhh sorry I hate that faux-manga style. That's just me, though, I'm not dissin' anyone who does. I liked Adam Warren's Dirty Pair for about four months in 1995, that's probably the extent of my relationship with Wanga. Although there are LOTS of cartoonists I love who have been influenced by manga, just not overtly, like Michael Deforge, Jonny Negron, Brandan Graham, even Mazzucchelli did a couple of (actually semi-overtly manga influenced) short stories for a certain much beloved Fantagraphics anthology.

The French are just more "aesthetically evolved" than the U.S and the U.K. I bet you never got any: "Biff! Bang! Pow! Comics Aren't Just For Kids Any More!"-type newspaper/magazine articles when "The Holy Trinity of Western Comic Book Legitimacy" were released, i.e DKR, Watchmen and Maus...because you fucking knew that already, am I right? And I'm pretty damn sure it was the French who began referring to comics as "The 9th Art", yes? Similar to Japan in that way, I suppose.

Holy fuckaroo Kerascoet just keep getting better and better. That's beautiful. The first spread reminds me very much of Raymond Brigg's "adult children's book" style. My goodness that's some beautiful art. Thank you very much for taking the time to put that together, and thanks for the info on the plot, too, Francanon!

>Why are french Sup Forums media SO MUCH FUCKING GODDAMN better than the rest of the world?
It's really not as a whole, you're just only seeing the good stuff.

Yeah, they do churn out so much mediocre genreshit but the stuff that's good is generally REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

>I bet you never got any: "Biff! Bang! Pow! Comics Aren't Just For Kids Any More!"-type newspaper/magazine articles when "The Holy Trinity of Western Comic Book Legitimacy" were released
While we didn't have those, keep in mind that the BD that get adapted to cinema in France are almost exclusively kid-oriented, to maximize audience. Stuff like Asterix, the Schmurphs, Lucky Luke ... We still very much have a "BD are for kids" mentality, just a bit more nuanced.
The first thing that comes to mind when you say BD to a french is still the lowest common denominator, the kids BD (or BD based on professions. We got a fuck ton of those, almost all of them are mediocre but everybody has read one), but if you talk about adult BD people usually get what you mean, they've heard about Lanfeust de Troy or XIII, compared to comics=cape and adult comics=cape, but for adults.

One day I'll be able to answer in one post
>I'm pretty damn sure it was the French who began referring to comics as "The 9th Art"
I'd say Belgium did it, THEY are the guys with the BD museum after all

And thank YOU for the conversation, I don't get a lot of occasions to discuss Franco-belgian stuff (I need to hang out here more often)
Have another spread (I just realize how uncommon doube pages are, I couldn't find even one in the other series I read)

Trying to by DL's are currently down

planete-bd is really bad for that, uploaded's servers are ALWAYS saturated
Did you try libgen ? They got a lot of stuff

>Our domestic market is dying

no it's not, plz don't spread meme.

those places are pleb, go to t411.

I've been looking for the third volume of Terra Prima of Philiphe Ogaki, unfortunately the only available link belongs to Avaxhome who until last year offering free access to their files but now keeps all his comics on a server called icerbox which forces you to subscribe and pay to download whatever it is.

There is someone here who knows a link to this European novel in a free service?

thanks anoooons

Oh, okay, I see. Maybe my view's warped by personal experience in that every French person I've met has had (what seemed to me) a wide awareness of BD. Like I know some fucking comics fans who haven't even heard of Moebius but once when I was homeless I met a nice French couple who weren't "into" comics by any stretch of the imagination but they knew of Moebius and Franquin and Druillet the same way, I suppose, an English or American person who wasn't "into" visual art would know, say, Monet or Picasso.

Hah, no need to thank me, mate but I appreciate it! It's kind of slow tonight, the last thread was fairly lively. The Incal and Metabarons pop up quite often in shelf threads, as do Corto Maltese comics...so there are some Anons who are knowledgeable about Franco-Belgian comics. I prefer more "arty" shit like the aforementioned L'asso creators--oh, forgot to mention Christophe Blain's Gus comics and Blutch's stuff, I really like those two cartoonists very much. Beautiful brush techniques, both. But I like the classic "cartoony" BD as well as the arty stuff. I recently ordered Dominique Goblet's Pretending Is Lying from New York Review Books, who also put out Peplum by Blutch which I really recommend.
And thanks for the other spread mate!

>T411
But I'm already there, everything is overseeded (which is good) and I'm struggling with my ratio (whih is not)