Any particular reason beyond 'AT-ST! AT-ST!' why this is considered 'bad'...

Any particular reason beyond 'AT-ST! AT-ST!' why this is considered 'bad'? It was unironically better than TFA and absolutely better than TLJ. Of course it has its flaws, but at least it doesn't go full fucking retarded like TLJ or rely on a boring mary sue to push its story forward. It's a great story with a kino message that has the Star Wars charm. I'm sick of feeling like a minority and being made fun of by my normie friends when I say I genuinely enjoyed Rogue One better than TFA and TLJ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bnN-k2Beo4E&t=513s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Im with you OP.
I thought it was really great and far better than TFA.

At the end of the day, it was a unecessary film.

fuck you i liked it

It is a nice war film. The Star Wars setting is a bonus.

>First half was super fucking boring
>None of the characters were interesting besides the villain
>Mads and Forrest were wasted

I enjoyed it more than the sequel films though, it was nice having protagonists with actual faults. I just wish they had a director's cut with all the old footage though.

>better than TFA
No.
>better than TLJ
Yes.

In any case, I despised it. The story had no charm or mystery since it's a direct prequel. Couldn't care less about any of the characters.
They died one after the other and I felt nothing, even though Donnie Yen is my husbando.

I found it profoundly boring, zero dimensional characters, massive retcon of ANH doesn’t help either

I don't get this argument, how is this unecessary. Fuck skywalkers wank, it's a huge fucking galaxy not everything have to be connected to those mary sues.

I dropped this movie right in the first rebel/imperial fight in the city streets. Where the mc runs out into open fire to pick up a little girl, and the mother just so happens to run up just in time to thank out ever so heroic main character.

If this movies treats me like a retarded fucking kid for shitty grade school writing like that then i will give it no attention.

Please use the Star shit general

Jyn Waifu was super hot in the empire outfit.

When you have a legendary being still alive in a universe, yeah it kind of is.

I enjoyed it, was really well made, not overburdened with crying gags and had a great final act

There is nothing wrong with enjoying fan service

>4 replies
top fucking lel

It was a shitty movie, but at least it tried.

Every film is unnecessary.

TLJ > RO >>>>>> TFA

TFA is barely watchable. It's just Finn and Rey yelling spastically for 2 hours. RO was a bit of a mess with unlikable characters. TLJ was actually engaging

probably the most embarrassing moment of RLM tbqh

both are bad films but RO at least tried something new and it generally made sense while TFA is a shameless rehash. I can't fathom how they (or anyone sane) will actually like Daisy's character and this isn't even getting into the mary-sue discussion, her character is just a bitch.

He is a legendary being only in the lore.

it's a boring movie with no worthwhile characters or meaningful themes and the only reason people pretend to care about it is because it ""EXPLAINS"" the opening crawl of ANH. Oh and Vader swings his lightsaber around at the end, so epic!!!

No, it not, fuck you. Watching those same fuckers doing this same shit all over again is boring. There is nothing wrong with different characters in their own stories.

Boring and forgetable as hell. Watched it two times and I only remember Vader kicking ass.

at the end of the day Rogue One ISN'T its own story though. It may be superficially different than the OT, but it still exists just to set up the original movie and it has hamfisted fanservice thrown in at every opportunity, even when it directly contradicts the OT. the only shit people actually remember from the movie is when Vader and CGI Leia and Tarkin show up.

at least the sequel trilogy is still primarily about NEW characters and the story is going off in its OWN direction

>beyond 'AT-ST! AT-ST!'
This isn't even a good reason to think R1. I don't give a rat's ass about starwars and fan service. I watched the whole movie and loved it, but apparently, I only loved it because it had AT-STs and darth vader. Wow, and I didn't even notice, thanks for pointing that out, Rich! Fuck you, you fat piece of shit! Obviously only a drooling fanboy can enjoy a movie like that, and obviously, only because it has fanservice! Shut the fuck up and stop projecting!

Right at the point where they get to Forest Whitacker's planet is where things start to feel poorly executed. And Forest's acting is some of the worst in the entire franchise.

"Did theyyyyyy...did they send you to kill meeeeeeeeeeee" WAAAAAAAAAAA wheeze whine wheeze

and a blind kung fu monk that repeats a mantra? Seriously? He's not a jedi he's just a nod to chinese cinema that can see with the foace.

And that cringey 'hope' dialogue. Jesus christ, that's the kind of line that should come from a cartoon mouse travelling to rally other cartoon mammals, not a 'le gritty sci fi war film'.

Just awful changes in tone throughout. Plus the Storm Troopers in Iraq/Syria was tasteless.

almost all the characters except for the cute girl and quipbot are boring and forgettable as hell.
And even then quipbot talks about 'the odds' as an annoying running gag.

It doesn't need to be a large story, minor are fun ones too. And it had cool battlefront action. I don't need those characters to show up later. It told side story about stealing Death Star plans, that's fine, it could be done better. It's as unnecessary as all other fictional stories.

TFA was dogshit, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=bnN-k2Beo4E&t=513s

TFA = R1 > TLJ

I'd argue that it's the best Star Wars film ever made. Yeah, even better than Empire.

Reshoots killed the story. First act cuts to 10 planets alone.

The main villain should have monopolized screen time. Actor is kino.

100% this.

I watched ep IV a hundred times. I knew that they end up with the plans, and that people died for it. The whole movie is 1 sentence stretched into 2 hours.

>Star Wars movies has star wars things in it

wow shock

At least it felt like Star Wars. I sorts have hope for the non trilogy movies. But if Rian is making his own fucking trilogy, God help us.

Do they seriously think those sands are going to help them from fire coming from above?

Absolutely kino, this film captured what Star Wars battles are about.

So was Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars was a complete story, with a beginning, middle, and end. We ended with Luke using The Force to defeat the bad guys, it looked like he'd get the girl and Han might even stick around. Everything was wrapped up.
Then Empire gave a cliffhanger, so we needed Return of the Jedi. But the story of Luke Skywalker could have been finished at the end of ANH.

Now imagine what it would be like if we only ever had 1 Star Wars movie.

The ending of Rogue One was definitely one of the best scenes in the franchise.

Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible plot, actively shits on ANH and ruins it in a way TFA didn't. No idea why people say RO is any good, it's on par with the prequels. Was genuinely laughing at Felicity Jones' and The Mexican's acting ability in the scene on the ship just after her dad died. Turned to my mate in the cinema who was also laughing and we were like is this but supposed to be serious? Characters in this film are god awful, nothing makes any sense, and dead actors being resurrected to look like a PS3 game is legitimately embarrassing.

Everybody saying it had uninteresting/forgettable characters, but for people that say so, what were your favourite characters in TFA and TLJ? I myself didn't like any of them, not even how the old characters were written. If there TFA/TLJ characters would have been only in one movie no one would remember them.

the problem is that the characters are flat as fuck and there are too many of them

Plot was unnecessarily complicated in the first act and there were too many characters, but besides that I liked it.

yeah that's the main issue. Rey and Cassian should be merged, pilot is useless and there should be more of bromance. Quipbot felt like watered down hk-47

It was boring but at least it respected both the original and prequel trilogies

TLJ takes a shit on every previous movie, even the soulless piece of crap that was TFA

>>dead actors being resurrected to look like a PS3 game is legitimately embarrassing
>>Like this didn't happen in TLJ
>>Disney murdered Fisher and her mom so they could slave her soul and image of her for ever and keep making money from it

Kylo Ren.

>i have to like a character for him to be a good character

>don't care about the story because you know how it ends anyway and it really didn't need to be told in the first place
>don't care about the characters because they are all bland as hell
>first third is boring, oh look another desert planet
>second third is even worse, canyon planet at night can't see shit
>last third is kind of okay, at least beach planet is new and action is okay, but too little too late

>but for people that say so, what were your favourite characters in TFA and TLJ?
>Implying when I say RO is dog wank I mean TFA or TLJ are better
These 3 films are all utter shite of a similar quality to Attack Of The Clones, but at least TFA had actually characters who's story kind of matters and with memorable names, unlike RO which has 'Cold Blooded Broken English Hispanic', 'Blind Kung-Fu Chink,' 'Quip Bot 3000', and Forrest Whittaker

The Phantom Menace is the last legit good Star Wars film.

Those T-LJ/FA were pretty far recaps so you would know how those would end also(at least after spoilers on Sup Forums). Did you know that Anakin would turn to Dart Vader before you were going to watch the episode 3?

Characters are boring. Main plot is boring. MC does a 180 withing 2 minutes.

But it's a great movie if you are a SW fan. The action parts, the feel, Rebels doing bad stuff, a day of Imperial officer life.

It's not legit good, but it's better than the 5 movies that have come after it

>tfw when you waste a great actor like Forest Whitaker

I just want to say that I am physically disgusted by Felicity Jones face
Movie itself was pretty boring and soulless, at least it had a couple of cool looking planets. Characters had nonexistent personalities.

It's overall a pretty good film the characters are just forgettable

I actually liked most characters in RO, I was just so sad that they all died so I couldn't ever create any bond between them.

Yeah it's a shame because they originally intended for him to be in it much more and I really like the speech he gave in the trailer

Besides Kylo Ren TFA had even worse characters.

>I'm sick of feeling like a minority
Well yes. That's every original fan of Star Wars who actually like what the movies were originally about instead of ROGER ROGER or whatever the fuck those other disney movies are about

It was kino, unlike the atrocities that are TFA and TLJ. It's not perfect by any means, but much better than the other two.

first half kind of convoluted and boring. Second half was absolutely kino.

It was total garbage

After the "I'm tired of running, even though I've literally just been introduced to the audience, I'm going to just sand here and get vaporised."

>massive retcon of ANH
How exactly?

>non-existent characters
>boring useless plot

it has cool battle scenes so manchildren like it

>inb4 b-but TFA
do not move the goalpost

I've seen that trooper somewhere before

"Brevity is the soul of wit"
This user gets it.

Some people are assblasted that the exhaust port was intentional and not a design flaw. What they don't realize is that the exhaust port isn't even the weakness. The chain reaction that blows up the entire station is the actual weakness.

The blind monk was probably the worst thing about it, but I could put up with him up until he hit a stormtrooper in the foot with his staff and said "LOL DOES YOUR FOOT HURT?" it was so fucking out of place and unnecessary. Also could have done without the star destroyer cutting through another star destroyer like butter when it was getting slowly pushed into it. It's biggest flaw was that it was boring though, I don't really know why I was bored either, I think all the different elements other than the visuals were just above average/okay so the whole thing ended up feeling pretty flat.

I'm really interested to know what was in the original cut. Apparently they initially had Saw's rebel group a lot more brutal and it muddied the "good guys vs bad guys" idea.

completely agree OP

I genuinely enjoyed the shit out of this

>Some people are assblasted that the exhaust port was intentional and not a design flaw.
Really? that's not a retcon, that's an explanation how the flaw was put in place.

Why do I like Rogue One but hated TFA and TLJ?

are you allright dude? you know the purpose of movise is to expand on a story right? They could as well make episode IV just the preparation for the death star attack and start the movie, say, from when Ben and Luke meet Han.

>By the way kid, where is your family?
>*Luke stares at the asteroid belt* the Empire....
>*pause* I'm sorry kid. Still, don't get too cocky.

>the only shit people actually remember from the movie is when Vader and CGI Leia and Tarkin show up.

I can remember pretty much the entire movie and I haven't seen it in ages. Go see a doctor, you might have brain damage.

>And Forest's acting is some of the worst in the entire franchise.

Apparently most of the reshoots cut down his character a lot.

it was only good for the battles. the story itself and the characters sucked ass

epic battles xD

I can tell you've never seen ordnance impact sand or mud

I don't think you've seen laser beams impact sand or mud either

so was the prequel trilogy

it's people like you who jump on the bandwagon of "le so star wars nerd xD" when they don't really like the movies on their own.

>who was also laughing
Why do people lie on the internet?

I have never defined myself by the kind of media I like and anybody who does is a soulless retard

>TFA/TLJ
>cinematography is drastically different from the original 6 films. Uses Dutch angles, snap zooms, matrix slow mo.

>Rogue One
>overall, closely follows the original cinematic style of George Lucas

This was a crucial but very subtle difference. It made Rogue One feel like a more traditional Star Wars film.

I, on the contrary, am genuinely proud when I find out movies that I come to worship and then find out there are people like me out there. It makes me feel validated. But even when I hear about a cult movie and then watch it, I see if it appeals to me first. It doesn't make you elite nor do I feel like I've wasted a chance to be part of a group.

>better than ANH
No.

No one said it was better than ANH user.

The pacing sucked and it felt disjointed. The reshoots probably didn't help.

It's not bad, but it wasn't particularly good either.

It was boring. Action movies are supposed to be exciting.

I unironically liked Rogue One. Sure there were flaws, main one being they jumped around locations a bit too much, but it painted a nice gritty, underdog story where the main cast struggled against a much bigger enemy. At the end they triumphed, but not without cost and at a heavy price.

They're not lasers, they're bursts of superheated plasma.

This movie was great. The story was a little undercooked, but it nails the Greengrass look

That's blasters no? is it the same for turbolasers?

Genuine question.

you like to see KINO

Good taste

you know what I still don't really get? Who are the Bothans? And no, this isn't a sneed joke

I liked it.
It reminded me of good old EU stories, makes the setting feel alive.
Also was nice to see a film that portrayed the Rebellion as a real war.

However TFA and TLJ are both giant piles of shit.

Hopefully we'll find out during Rogue Two, they still have the time between ANH and ROTJ to milk.

I don't know why they are giving R1 shit for having AT-STs and AT-ATs when it takes place during the FUCKING GALACTIC CIVIL WAR, yet give TFA a pass for STILL using X-wings, Tie Fighters, and Star Destroyers like 30 years later.