How many eons do you think Phil spent trapped inside Groundhog Day?

How many eons do you think Phil spent trapped inside Groundhog Day?

Long enough to:
>master the piano, classical and jazz
>learn to sculpt at a high level
>memorize the lives of the entire town
>memorize the chronological sequence of events across the entire town
>how to seduce virtually any woman with ease
>profound insight into persuading or deceiving virtually anybody
>etc

He likely picked up so many skills he could probably do whatever the fuck he wanted at an extremely high level now, regardless of his career in journalism.
Maybe even take over the world.

it was a lot, probably like a hundred frickin times mang

some autist did the math years ago. it was something like 700+ years if I remember correctly.

>catched

33 years 358 days.

Originally the plan was 10,000 years, and it was an ex using literal magic that trapped him because he pissed her off.

More interestingly, Phil clearly avoided the tragic limitations of the human mind.

Whatever supernatural event befell him, it clearly gave his brain a superhuman capacity to learn and memorize.
If he had fallen into an alzheimer's like state as many of us doomed to experience over the next 60-80 years, the cycle would have been impossible to break.

It's interesting to wonder what cosmic entity did this to him, and if the moral laid out by the narrative was actually the result of any intent, but incidental to whatever gift/punishment was bestowed upon him.

His body doesn't age through the whole cycle, why would his mind?

I think the moral is actually about being a good human being.

He went from a depression and no fucks given phase, then he tried to deceive people, including the girl he likes (can't remember the name) into believing he's a good man. Finally he actually made an effort, and got rid of all his ego and negativism and became that good man.

So "world" he was living in didn't change at all, he did so essentially he made a better world for himself just changing his approach to life.

So yeah, for me the message is simply, don't act like an asshole and the world won't treat you like one.

The real question is how much did he rape?

Anywhere between 10 years and 1000 years

According to director's commentary

Not enough.

And you, Sup Forums, what would you do in his place?

What if you rape and it turns out to be your last day?

You've scarred someone for life.

Even if the day resets, is it ethical to cause that pain until the end of the day?

He raped, but he also saved. And he saves more than he rapes

Edge of Tomorrow

I got you, babe

>spend years in what is basically purgatory
>finally lose it and start raping/murdering everyone in town
>go to sleep that night with a smile on your face
>wake up in the morning
>it's the next day

Shit.

No one knows for sure. I'd say at least 100 years.

The more interesting question is this. Is there a god in groundhog day?

Evidence for god - the day repeats over and over and it doesn't stop repeating until he gets the day right (lives the perfect day so to speak). That seem to indicate something wanted him to change/this day to go a particular way before he could move on. The timing between the two is fairly clear as far as we know.

evidence against god - Phil dies maybe hundreds of times. We know 'the magic' does work till 6AM so at times he is dead for well over 20 hours. He instantly wakes up in bed without ever going to the afterlife or seeing a god. This could be cause god won't let him see it but it is a little odd. Also it is impossible to say how many times he did "the perfect day".

We see he has clearly changed before the final day and has been at least almost exactly what he did for a long time no doubt. Why wait if he changed? Why THAT particularly great day he possibly had many others that could arguably have been just as good?

It seems to me it could be just as easily argued to be some hiccup in the natural universe. After all. Why do this to Phil? If god did exist and wanted to change things for the better wouldn't the president of North Korea or a terrorist make a lot more sense and do a lot more good?

Personally I come down on the side of no god and no afterlife with the day and person in question this happened to being fair arbitrary and by chance. Just as the day he was "released" was by chance in the end,

240 million years give or take.

Nice blog post

I liked it

Thanks. But what do you think senpai?

How many times do you think he raped the groundhog

How many times do you think he raped in general?

yea it was supposed to be 10,000 years, it had something to do with Eastern Religion or something,

forgot where i read it , but the director said it somewhere

How many fetishes do you think he went through? What kind of things did he force that stupid maid slut to do?

on the commentary, harold ramis said 10 years but later revised it to between 30 and 40.

Surely anything you learn would be lost when the day starts over again?

As myself aged I began to realize it's possible to be like Phil
It's not easy but it's possible. It's easier if you have money and don't have to work for it.
Know everyone and know the schedule of a day shouldn't take that long. The technique and knowledge part take longer but it's within a life time.
It's hard to say how long he studied medicine before accepting the death.
I bet there are rich doctors out there who can play piano and do ice sculpture

>is it ethical to cause that pain until the end of the day?
that's why you kill them after the rape, so they don't suffer

100+ years of i can do whatever i want, so i will be Caligula.

500+ years of i just wanna die

400+ years of laying in bed

1,000+ years on, I am a god, i will learn everything.

>be Phil
>Spent a lifetime studying about the Groundhog Day on the town
>wake up on the next day
>feel upset finding that most of your knowledge are now obsolete
>fear for unpredictability grows every hour
>feel frustrated watching once familiar town folks naturally change with time
>have to resist the habit of committing suicide in the face of tiniest deviation from the plan

This is what i thought. If his other organs don't change with every day passing, then why would his brain?

Also, even if his brain was somehow exempt from the restart, then it doesn't explain why he would be able to improve in any skill that's physical. For example, his fingers would never become responsive enough to master piano if they kept restarting every day.

Didnt we just have this thread?

Underrated

All kinds of memory are retained

The Rhone.

>It only took him 33 years to get rid of his ego

Some people are doomed