So from this point on wards capital ship are obsolete and future space fight would consist almost entirely of each side...

So from this point on wards capital ship are obsolete and future space fight would consist almost entirely of each side spamming relativistic velocity shotgun shrapnels?

And the winning side hoards the most functioning hyperdrives?

Also Lightspeed jihading large pieces of metal would practically be poorman's death star beam.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZq53GloUhw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It looks cool

Yea this is a gamechanger, strapping hyperdrives onto asteroids and bombing planets from across the galaxy is the new war.

Great, now everybody has their own death star.

>Luke, did I ever tell you about /lightspeedmissile? It's a combat maneuver that no one in the history of the Republic ever used in spite of having access to FTL technology for thousands of years. It is an attack so devastating that whichever side uses it first wins. End of story. There are no safeguards against it, so now that it has been discovered, it is wisest to resort to it at the slightest hint of danger, because if you hesitate, your side has already lost. It took a smart and brave lady general to discover the technique. Had she been just a bit less brave and a bit smarter the concept of "remote control" might have occurred to her as well and she could have been a good friend.

Interdictor.

Post yfw the resistance became suicide bombers

From now on it's impossible to build neither republic nor empire

>Had she been just a bit less brave and a bit smarter the concept of "remote control" might have occurred to her as well and she could have been a good friend.

Yeah this scene has opened up a whole can of worms I never even thought about before lel

Or ask C3PO and R2D2 to do it

Nah, it only worked because Benicio blip blippity blooped their shields, so their was still a gap for the cruiser to blast through. Or that's what I'm telling myself in an attempt to make sense of it all.

This

I have always been thinking about it
For like 10 years

Star wars : the libertarian conflic

Remember when an a-wing crashed into the executors bridge and it crashed into the death star?

Remember when they built a Death Star before that one? And they missed an obvious tube leading to the reactor that was a expoited by a single x wing being flown by a farm boy who was only just learning how to use the force?

Remember when they made that hole even bigger in the second death star?

This nitpicky fanbase is destroying the franchise just as badly as Disney. Hell this scene made a bit more sense than the galactic empire leaving their shield generator on the moon below where it could be easily found. These ridiculous scenes are part of why Star Wars is great

Inb4 "disney shill" despite never saying anything bad about the OT or Good about the ST

Why didn't you have problem with this?

What part of
>Someone needs to stay and pilot the ship.
didn't you understand?

Literally all that matters to JJ Abrams. I know this was directed by Rian Johnson, but it's still JJ's universe. It's all about spectacle and if you expect anything to have a coherent explanation, you're simply being unreasonable.

IT doesn't though, because relativistic weapons would make all other forms of warfare obsolete

Welcome to Sup Forums, first day? it seems beause clearly you haven been here back then.

There was a consistent internal logic to the previous films. In academic terms it's called verisimilitude. The new films have none of it.

What part of "They have fucking advanced humanoid robots that can do everything people do" do you not understand?

This, it's fucking kids movies based off cheesy serials

Because it took years and immense ressource to build. You know, like conservation of energy.

Whereas, something as common as hyperdrive (in the SW universe) is now regarded as the most powerful weapon ever. You can even buy your personnal hyperdrive shotgun to you nearly flapping jewish alien on Tatooine

If anything they should've set up the lightspeed crash as like a last ditch effort because it's so destructive it becomes detrimental to your own fleet. Like a starship crashing into another one would trigger a nuclear explosion big enough to destroy entire star systems, leaving time space anormalies or something like that.

anyone have the webm of leia warping into the ship instead of the rebel ship

Like Dune las guns and shields.

It is kind of weird that every large ship needs a living pilot. Sure, there are small craft, fighters etc that have droid pilots, but no big ones

i cant stop watching this

It'd still be good enough to kill your enemies at a star system away. You could genocide the entire galaxy this way.

IIRC a starship crashed into a planet during the clone wars and caused an explosion big enough to destroy the entire planet.
Makes sense that a spaceship would explode on impact, having it cut through a dozen ships is just retarded

Exactly!

Why would you want to though? Even the sith didn't want to genocide everybody, they wanted to rule. If there's only a void left this defeats the point of taking over. Only makes sense if you got some sum of all evil kind of dude who wants to kill everything.

Some kind of mutually assured destruction? If any retard with a hyperdrive could kill a planet, I'd imagine there'd be some really tight controls on spaceships.

>why do nations have nukes lmao it would just kill everybody xd

Spam corvettes

Droids are capable of plotting and enacting hyperspace flights. See R2 in ESB, or Count Dooku's pilot in AotC; or practically every Separatist battleship.

Well CIS ships were largely controlled by droids, their fleets still have living commanders but by-and-large their ships are operated, maintained and piloted by droids. In legends at least it was because droids might have had faster reaction time but sentient beings still had an edge over them in being able to intuit, plan ahead, and adapt to changing battle conditions. Of course now it doesn't make any sense to have living pilots because in a pinch any ship could become a WMD at the drop of a hat and you can program your droid pilots to kamikaze if they lose.

autism and delusion

>Rian wrote and directed it
>it's still JJ's fault tho

>wanting to have a semblance of internal consistency in your universe is autism
This is the laziest goddamn excuse for bad writing ever. Even if it's a fictional universe, I'd expect it to abide to its own rules, as weird as they are, otherwise there's just no tension to the story if you can pull whatever out of your ass whenever you need to.

We have nukes and we generally don't use them but that two times. Testing doesn't count.

This would be an argument for them generally not using lightspeed ramming. Also you could make the argument that the computers generally are set up in a way that prevent the average guy from crashing into stuff, unless you try really really hard to get around it. Like take how the falcon hyperdrive did shut down when they closed into the asteroid field.

I didn't mind it until the pink haired woman told Poe "this is how one must punish the western nonbelievers and their racist anti Islam campaign. Take as many of them as you can."

Star wars episode 9 don't violate the NAP
I'd watch it (as long as it's not disney)

By your logic nukes would have been developed in the first place. They had hyper drives for tens of thousands of years. Not making weapons around it when it would be inconceivably more easy to do then build a fucking nuke for all of those years means literally everybody in the SW are fucking retards or fucking saints.

I had more of a problem with that. It effectively tarnishes any real redemption for Kylo Ren and removes any interest in any scenes with him later. The first major thing he does is kill like 8 trillion people. He's literally space Hitler.

>glorifying muslims like this

holy shit who made this garbage

Even in Star Trek they never use a warp jump to kill shit.

This is literally retarded.

But she also somehow went through the destroyers behind the supremacy

Just part and parcel to destroy white supremacy once and for all.

There's no sense in destroying the galaxy my dude. Besides that how do you know there wasn't some kind of ancient war that made people realise the evils of lightspeed ramming? Would make perfectly sense to develop some common agreement after everybody realized nobody was gaining anything from it. Maybe it even resulted in some sort of dark age and later in the creation of established hyper space routes, with some technological developments to prevent the average nut from killing whole planets.

Would make some nice addition to the general lore as well, because you could have like ancient planets or whatever who were cut off during the dark age. Maybe because another planet in the solar system got destroyed and the other planet changed orbit, making life borderline impossible.

>Produced by JJ Abrams

It's still got his smell on it.

In Star Trek the ship is not in the normal universe while it is at warp, otherwise it would not be able to travel FTL.

>a droid cant face the enemy fleet and push the fucking hyperspace button

The shield hole was only a tiny one temporary enough for Finn, Rose and Stutterin' Sicario to slip through.

Any larger, and it would have drawn attention, instead of looking like a glitch.

>3.5km long starships don't take years to build

hyperdrive should be the same way

regardless, this movie happens AFTER the original series, and not once did people use hyperdrive to do allah akbar.

it's just stupid.

I think in Star Trek the ships technically don't move at all during warp but bends the universe closer, which is why they fly faster than lightspeed. In Star Wars ships enter hyperspace. The mushroom nipple drive in STD doesn't count.

reminder that these are canon and would have prevented the kamikaze attack that wiped out their entire fleet

My guy

this

>these are canon

>a death star or planet killer takes the same time to build than a starship
>little boy and fatman took has much time/money/ressources to research/build as any carrier during wwii

Rian is a fucking hack.
>Lasers fucking arc
>Have plenty of ISD but none of them bother to hyperjump infront of the Rebels for a pincer attack

there in rebels which puts them in the new disney canon

that makes sense. She ould have impacted the Supremacy and considering her speed would not have simply stopped, the shrapnel would have continued. What doesn't make sense is why the supremacy wasn't completely destroyed along with Finn, Rey, Kylo, Chinese Diversity Hire, and Stuttering Steve.

why not just strap a hyperdrive to an asteroid or missile?

all the OP goodness, minus the suicide.

it's literally no cost for the damage it can inflict. If a death star could be destroyed by some ship ramming into it, then there is no real point of building ships any bigger than a standard fighter.

Besides, just imagine what absurd force does ANYTHING moving FTL have. It didn't have to be a 3,5km long starship, it could have been a missle with ftl systems. If things moving FTL have mass and can collide with targets, that technology beats literally anything in battle, and there is no excuse for not weaponising it earlier.

They actually do this once in the fucking rebels cartoon too although on a much smaller scale. The cartoon is considered cannon and this means that it is definitely absolutely known from BEFORE ANH that hyperdriving into or next to something can destroy it.
Yeah they are, they use their tennis balls to succ rebel ships out of hyperspace.

Things moving at FTL have infinite mass.
Any collision with something at FTL will fucking destroy both objects, even if one is a fucking pebble.

Why build hyperdrive nukes when a soccer ball sized bomb can destroy a dreadnought on its own?

*adopts your plan*

This only works if you have a ship at within a narrow range. When in hyperspace you couldn't interact with shops not in hyperspace but there is a brief distance where the ship is traveling near the speed of light but not yet in hyperspace, that is the only time you could use this. She basically got lucky.

>Build a carrier with heavy shields and frontal armor.
>Dump a ton of fighter-sized torpedoes onto the enemy fleet at close range.
>win

Again, I think maybe they know about it but they should have reasons to not use it. Making it powerful enough to destroy larger ships but not powerful enough to be dangerous to everybody involved is a bad idea. The rebels normally should care about collateral damage while the empire cares about it's property. If you just destroy everything using it there's no sense in fighting unless you're in a really really remote place.

Ships in star wars don't travel at FTL though. They travel through hyperspace which is entirely different

its not like flying close is an issue if your on a fucking suicide mission

it wasn't moving at ftl
all it was doing was "entering hyperspace" which doesn't mean anything in real physics because hyperspace doesn't exist

>*invents your plan 30 years before your shitty cashgrab movie franchise*

ftfy

Point me to a source in universe where that is explained please.

>While you're approaching enemy ships spread out and you at best trade ships

That's a good idea.

>They travel through hyperspace which is entirely different
Then how the fuck does the collision even happen?

>Yeah we'll just dodge these fighter sized objects with our capital ships.
Don't kid me user, capital ships practically stand still compared to fighters in every Star Wars battle.

They talk about how the only interaction you have in hyperspace is with gravity wells, ie planets, stars, and specially designed shops like in clone wars that create gravity wells to pull shops out of hyperspace

Why didn't the seperatists just hyperspace a few carriers into the Venator Class Star Destroyers(TM)????????

and how does it blow up all the ships? I can see how it would be possible, and I would even give you that given it would be a terrible strategy to employ if it only takes out one ship and they have more ships than you. But does one kamikaze blow up their whole fleet? It doesn't make sense.

>She'll do .5 past lightspeed

We can assume that it is being accelerated to light speed. The process alone causes whatever is being accelerated to lightspeed to have infinite mass.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZq53GloUhw

This is how you do a fucking space battle.

This is just my speculation, but every ship we see jump into hyperspace has a brief moment of high acceleration before vanishing and at least in legends the main engines are used to help kick the ship into hyperspace. My guess would be that the Raddus didn't actually achieve full hyperspace, it just boosted at near-superluminal speed into the first order ship.

Of course this still fucking breaks Star Wars because hitting something bigger than your own ship at nearly the speed of light will still transform most of your own ship's mass into energy and plasma traveling in the same direction at nearly the same speed and will achieve the same effect.

How do you know the law of relativity applies to the star wars universe?

no, the warp drive is FTL, but uses space magic to disregard relativity and avoid hitting things.

Hyperspace seems like some kind of subspace, transwarp or slipstream magic.

Yes, and people are saying this movie ignores that for a flashy death scene that fucks the canon up.

Because we have seen a something accelerated to lightspeed and the collision that occurs? Are you retarded?

The collision that occured didn't look like infinite mass desu.

Warp drive creates a warp bubble that, once inside the warp bubble it can manipulate space and shit to let the ship go faster

Scenarist has been playing too much WarThunder.

Gravity well detection, so ships cannot jump from or into atmospheres or near other large objects. This must be something that's innate in the hyperdrives and cannot be deactivated or "bypassed".