JRJR shits on Marvel

JRJR shits on Marvel

>TFW Marvel never hires him again

Y'all are stuck with him now DCChads

Other urls found in this thread:

nrm.org/alexross/selectedworks/batwoman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He is completely right. As a price, I say we put extra weight in his mourning routine.

Honestly I buy books more for characters than writers or artists but If I had to pick one its for the writer.

I could still enjoy a book with bad art but I can't enjoy a book with bad writing

Good, they're comments are something I was glad to see so much of the industry respond with " well fuck you"

Seeing someone whose worked exclusively with them since the 70's, with one exception a 4 issue mini for Image in the early 2000's, is even better.

Yep. Though I don't see how DC is any better at promoting artists. It seems like on both sides we're getting nothing but advertising for mediocre writers while good artists bounce from book to book until they wise up and give Image a call.

>I buy books more for characters than writers or artists

The Dark Matter book announcements were all about hyping the artists

weren't Marvel also doing that with Monsters Unleashed

Good, more JRJR art at DC will be delightful.

Actually now that I think about it, DC does put a lot of stock in dudes like Jim Lee, Ivan Reis, Jason Fabok, Greg Capullo, and Sean Gordon Murphy. All-Star Batman was more or less advertised as an artist showcase that happened to have Scott Snyder at the helm. Babs Tarr also got just as much if not more publicity than Cameron Stewart when they were working on Batgirl.

To make it especially relevant to this thread, DC promoted Romita's Superman run with a Kirby Callback:
>ROMITA IS HERE

They made a huge deal when Romita Jr. came over to DC. Snyder's Batman was billed as co-production with Greg Capullo. Grant Morrison's books tend to emphasise the artist alongside him. Ethan Van Schiver on any book gets promoted heavily, look at the GL mini.

I dunno. DC might not exclusively promote artists, but they usually seem to get some semblance of equal billing with the writer. Marvel, its always "AWARD WINNING WRITER...oh and these guys too".

I really liked him on Thor, ASM, UXM and Cap.
It's Marbel's loss.

Under the correct inker and colorist JRJRs work is amazing, that DKR book he did is a testament to that, excited to have him be a DC regular.

>>Under the correct inker and colorist JRJRs work is amazing,

Nothing against colorists and inkers, but that's a pretty empty statement.

Yeah they put out those DC Comics Art of collections full of miscellaneous works from Cooke, Reis, and Quitely . I hope they make more

I spent quality time reading his X-Men run and user's right here. Under Leialoha, his work looks beautiful. Dan Green OTOH inked exactly what JRJR penciled and it frequently looked sloppy.

Yeah some of the faces got weird with Dan Green, but they looked amazing together on this Cable mini

He's right. Look at Lee/Ditko, Lee/Kirby, Conway/Kane, Claremont/Byrne, etc. Collaborations are what made the classics so damn good, because the best of both worlds were brought together. Comics require both the visual and literary aspects to be in harmony, and when you don't have that you get something either visually lifeless or a beautiful set of stupidity.

I do love me some visual stupidity, I own enough 90's Image to prove it

I'd take visual stupidity over copy+pasted letterbox "cinematic" panel layouts and whatnot.

So who are Marvel's big name artists right now?

JRJR is a god and it shows Sup Forums bad taste when they hate

Tana Ford

Marvel is putting out the second epic collection of his and Ann Nocenti Daredevil run, that should be all of it

It saddens me how the "house style" inking absolutely destroys JRJR's pencils. They just don't mesh well together and sadly DC opts for their house style way too often.

But they also don't pay for "name" writers either. Marvel (well the marketing suits that run it) believe the brands and characters sell themselves and you can just plug anyone in there.

I would love to see what the hell the marketing thought when they saw what they had to work with when they first saw America.

Honestly only time I found JRJR art tolerable was Spider-Man, for some reason his art worked with that character.

Most people do, especially the fags who declare vehemently that being a characterfag is the greatest of all sins. That doesn't mean I'll accept a shit book with shit creative solely because it has a character I like on it (not bothering with X-Men Gold for instance despite liking Rachel) but neither will I give a book the time if I like the writer but it's full of characters I hate (I like Bunn but fuck the O5).

Greg Land.

He's right though. Marvel was its most popular during the 90s, when their top comics sold based on the artist, not the writer.

I thought Danny Miki did a great job on All Star Batman

Klaus Janson was the one on Superman, who I guess is the house style now sine he worked at that new talent camp. Janson looked great with JRJR back on Punisher Warzone, but that was a long time ago

They've got Alex Ross doing covers still, which continues to boggle my mind.

It'd probably be Daniel Acuña (who I've never actually liked), Leinil Francis Yu and fuck if I know beyond that. Stuart Immonen? Bagley?

Wait a while for Blue to get a trade, and see if you get some good Magneto in it. Bunn plays to his strength when hes writing villainous characters.

Art Adams too though he's always been a slow penciller and more of a cover/pin up guy.

Art Adams on the one issue a year he draws
Chris Bachalo is still on Doctor Strange right?

aaron kuder and sorrentino.

WAS.

They paid him A LOT of money, plus he's probably still mad at DC over the nu52.

They probably don't care about the quality. Diversity is the big "in" for corporate PR so pushing her out there gets her name out to the wider public so they can start putting her in cartoons, then TV/Netflix or even the movies. The comics are just an IP farm where Disney (well, Marvel Studios and the non-comic parts of Marvel Entertainment) can harvest characters and vague storyline ideas for the real money makers.

His two Batman projects were great

thankyou for saying it i feel like i'm in bizarro world every jrjr thread

Old jrjr is grrat

Is this from the two issue Cable mini in the 90s? That was when I pretty much started avoiding JRjr's work.

Everything looked so flat and square. It just never worked for me.

Absolutely loved his run and Daredevil, though, and especially X-men.

He's not wrong.

>square
Yeah give me those Kirby fingers

I'm aware of that. But I utterly despite the O5, the fact they're still around and the fact they look like they're not going anywhere so I refuse to buy anything with them on principle.

In what universe is Aaron Kuder considered a "name" artist? Death of X looked like garbage. I'd probably consider Pepe Larraz as more of a coming up name.

I don't think he's on now that the writer's changed but yeah I forgot Bachalo. I think they also have or have had Dodson on the Star Wars stuff. Same with Larroca who, sadly, is definitely a name as well. I'm guessing whenever he leaves Thor that Dauterman will be given a big gig too.

Shit, I just remembered, he came back to X-men, didn't he? I meant his early work, around the early 200s of UXM.

JRjr is no Kirby. At his best, Kirby stuffed so much into his art that I can overlook his "only 3 faces" thing he fell into.

Take another look at and notice how nearly everything can be broken down into base blocks and squares...it looks like there was a sale on right angles and he bought them out.

Ironically I won't read anything he's doing the art for because he's one of the worst any of them has to offer.

I'm, kind of the opposite, I still get pretty pictures with a good artist bad writer combo. But if the art is off putting it doesn't matter who's writing it I just can't be fucked with the eye sore.

An example of this would be that weird 3D animation issue of Batman Inc. I just couldn't read it and so skipped the issue entirely even though I adore Morrison's writing.

The writing was pretty bad in that issue anyway.

He's not really big named, but I love Pepe Larraz

Agreed. The first thing of his I read was Man Without Fear and I've adore his stuff even since. I will admit that sometimes he's lazy, but that can be said for anyone.

Haters gonna hate though.

>plus he's probably still mad at DC over the nu52.

Is there a reason he's mad at DC over New 52? If so please story it up Sup Forumsmrade?

>So who are Marvel's big name artists right now?

That one who got fired for slipping Islamic messages into his work. He's a pretty well known name for the time being.

Nothing concrete, but Ross is a MAJOR nostalgiafag for DC, and he hasn't done anything for them since the nu52 happened. So unless another user has some more info on the matter, its a safe assumption to make.

Isn't it just possible he has an exclusive contract with Marvel though?

Larraz is great and he gave the world fluffy Rogue.

He still doing covers for vertigo astro city.

To add to this, he and Waid apparently fought a few times over the characters and designs used in Kingdom Come

Can't wait for Slott, Waid, Spencer or one of the other Marvelautists to REEEEEEEEEE at him.

Ross is a manbaby who likes a VERY particular time of DC and likes characters when suited to his very strict tastes.

Ross hates Firestorm and seems to dislike or is at least indifferent to a lot of DC after he was created (i.e. after the late 70s).

Batwoman was the exception since it was a unused design for Babs.. nrm.org/alexross/selectedworks/batwoman/

Yeah, though I am surprised he still is okay with drawing her and doesn't spaz out saying BABS IS THE ALPHA BATFEMALE REEEEEEEEEEEE or some shit

fuck thats nice
who is the colorist

Javier Rodriguez, Ramon Perez, Gurihiru, Samnee, Larraz, ACO

There is a reason Axl Rose has only painted Kyle Rayner once and Wally Flash twice in his entire carrer.

>Y'all are stuck with him now DCChads

Oh no an average tier writer is working for our company

Guess we got BTFO again boys

>writer

Man, as an old fag, I remember when comic artists were the rock stars who sold books. Image wasn't founded on writers (and yeah, it showed, I know). It's crazy to me that a visual medium doesn't put more of a premium on the visual side.

I can't believe this is your post touting JRJR quality. At least throw out some old Daredevil.

>posts poser tracings
Top kek
how do you like your Marvel art senpai?

I kind of want to go up to Ross at a con and say "Cassandra Cain was a better Batgirl than Barbara in every way."

>Marvel writers
>Gods of anything

They're bitches on editorials leash

fuck Romita, he's too overrated and there's new people that can do his work twice as good for half the price

>It's crazy to me that a visual medium doesn't put more of a premium on the visual side.

Because last time Marvel did it they lost their big money earners and the grudge never died.

Every big new talent the company has propped up since the 2000's has been a writer

Samnee, Aja, Mckelvie, Noto, Rudy and Lieber kinda got pushed

I'd do it for an Adam Strange book but anything A/B list character is bullshit.

>Honestly I buy books more for characters than writers or artists

Wish you wouldn't, but I get it, we all have our guilty pleasures. I mean, for fuck's sake, I pick up X-men Blue because Cullen Bunn is writing it. He might actually do something interesting with the O5.

JRJR has been doing surprisingly well on the Batman stuff he's done recently

You re the cancer that is killing comics.

Zdarsky is one of Marvel's hot new kids and he started as an artist

I wish he would go back to doing art over writing though

Are they? because I doubt it. They didn't collect the entire Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight either.

>artcucks are this salty
LMAO

Hell, even JH Williams III got his own book for a bit, and let's not forget how hard theu were pushing JG Jones for a while.

>Mckelvie, Noto
Not really... And McKelvie is garbage. I know Young Avengers got some publicity but it was more towards the team of Gillen and his previous Kid Loki run. And I don't know, Noto's mostly done small stuff for them.
>Rudy
They paired him up with Ales fucking Kot. On a shitty Winter Soldier comic that sold like shit. And since then he only did one issue in Scarlet Witch.
>Lieber
No, they pushed (Marvel exclusive and golden boy)Spencer's Superior Memes of Spider-man and Lieber just happened to be there too.

Good, let him stay with Snyder on All Star Batman and let Capullo work with a writer with talent.

I meant in their books, like there names were equal/highlighted like the writers and people refer to those runs by the creative teams

>let Snyder stay working with Jock
ok