Evaluation

Someone in my neighborhood was throwing out a ton of old Marvel, DC, and assorted other comic books. It looked like he must have been a collector at one point, but rather than sell them he just tossed them to the curb. I took them, brought them home, dusted off the spiders, and am in the process of sorting them. How much do you all think they're worth? I probably won't sell most of them (I have friends with birthdays coming up), I'm mostly just curious.

Like $20 maybe.

Bring some to your LCS. They can give you an estimate

>1970s and 1980s comics
That's quite a treasure trove, user. Read them first.

I see some shang chi the master of kung fu and I think some Warlock in there, you could probably get a decent amount assuming you have a comic shop nearby that sells old comics but they're also worth reading too

>instant free comic collection

Even if they were mostly trash I'd be happy. Probably bag and board the lot then start reading.

Op here
I plan to read them if I can, and I really don't plan on selling many, if any. I'm more curious than anything. There's a lot of Daredevil, New Teen Titans, Warlord, Power Man & Iron Fist, Iron Man, Hulk, Micronauts, The Defenders, the list goes on and on. Roughly 70s-80s if I had to take a guess as to the time period. To give an idea of the time period, the collection included Warlord No. 39 (Nov 19??) through 78 (Feb 1984)

You probably wouldn't get more than a few bucks for them. Old comics from the 70s and 80s are worth less than the paper they're printed on.

That's not to say they won't be good reads though! Good find, and enjoy!

I'd read them myself. I don't know if you'd make much money from them though. The resale market sucks unless you have silver age books.

I see a defenders book over there, maybe with the netflix tv series they will be worth something now

Post more pics, op
I'm curious what's in there

I would keep them if it was me user.
70s Marvel is wack.

>OP here
More photos on the way. I'm not done sorting them all, so there's still a full stack or so that are just in the box unsorted

>OP

>OP again

Sell the Star Trek books, keep the rest.

Prob his wife made him do it. You know how women are, hateful of hobbys and boring.

I'll take those Daredevil books off your hands.

Permavirgin spotted.

I love that PM-IF cover!

Those are some cool books, you lucky bastard

>some of those books will never be reprinted, ever
I envy you and I hate you.

Yeah for a curbside haul this is really good

I'll give you about tree fiddy

This is the kind of shit they sell at like a dollar a pop at my comic shop. So maybe you've got like $100 if you sell them all? Unless there are some limited print runs in there I don't recognize.

What other treasury collections do you have under the Battlestar Galactica one?

How much for the cat?

user pls send some to me

my dad is dying

i just need something good to happen to me

im so tired

NTT issues can be pricey if they're early ones, I sold issue 2 for 150 bucks last year.

As a general rule, I never turn down free comics. Ever.

I also do not sell them, I give them away to people who intend to read them.

I've probably lost money along the way, but fuck it. Comics are for reading.

>I give them away to people who intend to read them.

You. You my mugga.

Also OP, you have some really good stuff to read. Even if they give you nothing for them, you got the best deal.

She's a dog, and she's free

Just kidding, hands off my baby

Fuck off, Nessie.

>OP
Yeah I'm probably going to do the same thing. I'll give 'em away, only selling the ones that nobody wants, if not donating those to a library or comic store.

Star Trek comic in the middle for perspective on the size, these things are massive. Two copies of the Star Wars one on the bottom-right

>1/4
Finally done sorting, I'll be sending in images of the final haul sorted into stacks by series, with the contents of each stack sorted by release date.

>LOSH comics

Fuck you send them to me

>2/4

>3/4

>4/4
The stack in the box is books that are (sadly) damaged beyond repair or use.

>Godzilla
Another book that will not be reprinted.

The netflix series has nothing to do with the original Defenders though.

Which ones? Make us suffer!

>She-Hulk

check to see if any of the pages are stuck together

>thay issie of master of kung fu

These ones. They've been fused together by water damage, so it's impossible to pull these stacks apart at this point without destroying the books themselves. Most of them can't even be opened.

Yeah I see NTT #2 under there, that's a good 'money' issue if you're looking for one to sell and keep the rest. Ebay would be a good choice.

Shit OP, You scored. I'm excited for you.
Read those Master Of Kung Fu comics, they're awesome.

>Thor, Defenders
;_;
>Inhumans
And nothing of value was lost.

>OP
Not only is NTT #2 in there, the stack includes every single NTT from #1-#39, with the sole exception of #13

Yeah, the Thor and Inhumans stacks are in the worst conditions. Some of the Defenders and the Two-In-Ones may be salvageable yet, I'm currently working on that.

those alone could net you quite a bit if you find the right seller

>OP
One thing I've been leaving out of the pictures is the stack of Warlord comics (#39-78) that I got out of this. I'm saving those as a birthday gift for someone who used to collect Warlord comics back when they were first coming out. Dude had the whole set collected as a teenager, but then when he went to college his parents threw them away (they didn't know how valuable they were to him). I thought giving him all of the ones I got from this haul would be a nice gesture.

What's the condition like on those NTT?

This is a hell of a score, if just in cool stories.

Pretty good, actually. The pages are fairly yellowed with age (as you'd expect of 30+ year old comics), but aside from that there's only minimal bending or creasing. I'd categorize it as "very good" condition, though I don't know how picky you all are.

Value depends largely on condition and demand.
From what I can see, it looks like dollar bin fodder but I've paid up to $8 per book for late 70s stuff in great condition.

>70s-80s She-Hulk
Everything else is dandy, but this is what makes that haul magical.

Hey, Shang-Chi of all fucking titles is getting four omnibuses and counting when The Mighty Thor, Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men and Fantastic Four are on three. Never say never.

Yeah, but ROM? Or Weird Western Tales?

>Madam Slay
Hello boner.

They have something planned outside of comics for Shang-Chi, don't they? No way would Ike "cost cutter" Perlmutter shell out to get the rights to reprint that unless something was up.

>things that are currently forbidden to draw at Marvel
;____;

The advertisements in here are hilarious reminders that these comics are relics of a distant past.

Why won't Hostess and the Big Two publish a compilation of the ads?

>The League of Assassins

I guess in that world Ra's Al Ghul could also be easily distracted by Hostess stuff.

Why just the big two?

>comic ends with hottie giving up her love life and career and losing herself completely to the taste of Hostess
Unexpected boner

>She's a dog

I'm jelly of those Micronauts and ROM flops.
I understand not wanting to keep the lot because collecting single issues is ugly. I'd read them and keep what you like though.

SO jelly I could spit.

>How much do you all think they're worth
several afternoons' worth of entertainment before comics routinely joked about anal sex

ROM will never be reprinted and for what should have been a toy ad it was legendary. The Dire Wraiths in X-Men come from there.

>I've probably lost money along the way
but you made comics fans
fuck money, they print more of it every day

>Michelinie Iron Man
OHHHH! So lucky OP damn, I wish I found this shit

So now we know Damian's secret weakness

The Daredevil on the top of that stack has the last published comic art of Frank Robbins. That might not fetch a lot of money but it's pretty cool. If you have the Frank Miller issues immediately afterward and the condition is right then you can make a pretty penny. I'm very jealous and happy for you OP.

I see since pre Moore post Wrightson Swamp Thing. Those are fun reads.

>ROM
>Micronauts
>Master of Kung Fu
You lucky bastard.

>OP
Sadly there's only one issue. I saw a lot of Man-Thing as I was going through and mistakenly tossed it on the same pile as Swamp Thing. I don't know comics well enough to know the distinction at first glance. Rest assured they're separated now, though.

Not much ROM in the pile (one of the smaller stacks), but there is a FUCK ton of Micronauts and MoKF. Lucky indeed.

kek

Kek. And yeah, that's the plan.

Cool finds OP! Most of this stuff I'm not that interested in but I'm glad you found some cool stuff.

This thread reminds me of a guy I met working at an antique store who I got to talking comics with. Turns out he was collecting for some time! I told him about the kind of stuff I'd like to find (pre-code, non-Big Two stuff) and he said he'd take a look this summer. Fingers crossed.

I should have asked him about a couple of other series I'm interested in. Maybe later...

Marvel took their licensed comics really seriously back then, people still unironically consider Hama's GI Joe one of the best things they've ever published after all. And the crazy thing is they're right.

Kind of surprised nobody has said anything yet, but those Star Wars comics depending on the condition are actually worth 10-50 bucks, OP. Maybe more depending on the issues.

Definitely read them. They may not be worth much (aside from occasional issues), but the Bronze Age produced the best comics. On the whole they weren't as silly as the Silver Age, but the Extreme era and decompression hadn't yet taken hold.

I'm worried that the OP might miss my previous post since it's kinda blah and meh.

HEY FAGGOT OP

YOUR STAR WARS COMICS ARE WORTH ACTUAL MONEY

GET THEM LOOKED AT

pic unrelated but hopefully eye catching enough as I wouldn't want the OP to lose out on the value of some of his haul.