I actually can't wait for him to stop running Heavy Metal so he can get back to writing insane comics

I actually can't wait for him to stop running Heavy Metal so he can get back to writing insane comics

Me too. Also hypercrisis thread.

He hasn't written any insane comic sine 90s anyway.

Nameless was like 2 years ago

is there anyone who compares to Morrison's style and themes? Milligan's Rogan Gosh was a good alternative

Out of curiosity why hasn't morrison ever written a spider-man story?

I want a Morrison to write a Superman story where everyone speaks his Scottish dialect.

Why did Frank draw Patrick Stewart instead of his friend?

His experience at Marvel left a bad taste in his mouth.

What was the consensus regarding Wonder Woman Earth One?

Ask me in the next Wonder Woman storytime if you want a hardcore Wondiefag to write up a good wall of text for tyou.

When did he start running Heavy Metal???
Damn it, I stopped reading and this happens?
Is it an editorial thing or is he doing a story?

He became the editor in chief, I think maybe nine months ago?

Magneto WAS right ... then Morrison wrote him.

Is Multiversity good?

Yes. But if you don't like to put a bunch of thought into what you're reading, don't bother.

I don't think I'd have a problem with that, I'm just curious if it does a bit of the bizarre stuff he has a reputation for.

He's also doing a short story in every issue.

Millar > Morrison

That's not the only problem with that.
With that X-Men disaster the problem wasn't that he was putting out ten pounds of cerebral in a five pound sack, that had been done before in that comic, the problem was that there had already been an established narrative subtext to the comic on multiple levels and many of those allegorical conversations were just plain crushed underfoot of something Grant was pushing through as a roughshot conceptualization.
The whole Magneto thing up until him was a question of radicalization vs. passive resistance, living openly and overtly as a self-actualized individualist vs. accepting society's allowed role for you, then he turned Magneto into a serial killer without a cause.
(sorry for harping on that, but what the fuck was he toking to not get how that was crossing a line?)
In that instance he just plain didn't understand the source material well enough. Or maybe just didn't respect the other writer's works.
Where as in Batman R.I.P. he took far less liberties with the symbolism and consequences and never wrote anything that didn't conform with past interpretations. But there he was too subtle in his messaging and readers could and did easily misinterpret what he was getting at.
I could maybe think he expected a less receptive audience, but Morrison means Morrison regardless of the company, readers know that, and Final Crisis was soon erasing everything anyway.

Yes-ish. It's got his normal meta bullshit but it's spewed across different stories that sometimes seem/don't have anything to do with his main story. One moment you'll find yourself enjoying standard capeshit or tribute story, and the next it's just weird meta crisis. He doesn't allow you to be new to this, you better know your DC shit to 100% get anything out of it.

Nazi Superman was fun.

Something that bothered me a great deal about his Batman run was how quickly and thoroughly he retconned away much of Batman's pre-O'neil Silver Age history as a hallucination. Also at some points it felt like he was using the comic to work through some lingering issues with his parents.

It's very uneven.

He understood the source material fine, he just hated the idea of people thinking Magneto was justified or noble because Morrison was dealing with 9/11 or something, so he deliberately went against Claremont's characterization. Also the arc was focused on cyclical storytelling so Magneto becoming the evil that created him went along with that, pretty much themes over characterization.

Depends
Definitely better at the Authority, very arguably better at Superman (but ASSfags who have never read Superman Adventures are surely gonna jump down my throat on that one)
Overall Millar has a lot of garbage in his catalog where Morrison never really dips below a 5/10, with a ton of hits. Pretty tough to call Millar better.

>Serial killer without a cause
You mean a drug addled old man who had a goal that he never thought he'd actually achieve and then didn't really know what to do when he got there?
And/or taking the Claremont characterization route (since Morrison said he was going more for OG Mags), a man who projected his holocaust trauma so hard he literally started tossing people he felt were inferior in ovens.

I get why people don't like it but I think it works pretty well.

Did Morrison skip over everything written the past few years before his run that had Magneto acting as an outright villain? In the last few Magneto stories before Morrison's run he had used nuclear blackmail to get declared the ruler of Genosha then ethnic cleansed all the non-mutants.

Starlight, Empress, Jupiter's Circle/Legacy, Reborn> Morrison's creator owned work for the past decade
Superman Adventures/Red Son >ASS/Action Comics
Ultimate X-Men > New X-Men
better Authority
Ultimates arguably better than JLA (Waid/Kelly did it better too)
his work has longer lasting effects (Civil War) compared to Multiversity/One Million/Batman RIP/etc... which are basically ignored by all other writers
plus all of his movie pitch comics are at least fucking entertaining compared to Dinos vs Aliens
only thing Morrison has really that's timeless is his Animal Man

WE3 is going to be a movie and bigger than Kingsman, Kickass and Wanted combined

lol ok just you wait until Millarverse > DCEU

Magneto's not the world's first nuclear missile controlling political leader to use explicit blackmail (actually it's more like eXtortion) in order to gain sovereign territory.
'Merica does it. China does it. It's a thing.
I'm sorry, can you read this post from up on your high horse?
And Magneto didn't "ethnically cleanse all non-mutants" in Genosha. Civil war broke out when he took over.
Kitty Pryde's very human father was living peacefully in Genosha when the Mega-Wild-Sentinel struck.
Magneto had never advocated mass murder or genocide against human-kind. He even killed one of his own Acolytes as punishment for killing humans indiscriminately in Fatal Attractions.
He was never meant to be an unsympathetic character, even before they came up with the Holocaust backstory he was portrayed as only wishing to protect mutants by establishing a mutant homeland using all the power he had.
The first time he pulled this stunt he simply used Mastermind to illusion up an invading army for him.
His whole thing has always been the opposing argument to the X-Men's pacifist ideas, now that he's arbitrarily delegitimized there's no conversation to be had in X-Men comics about how best to respond to oppression.
... unless some other vocal and iconic character becomes vilified as the face of mutant eXtremism. Thanks a lot Morrison, your fallout cost us Cyclops.

Fuck, forgot to put my name in the field

To be fair, most of that stuff was being outright ignored, so he found a good way of addressing it and pulling it back into canon IMO
Although that could just be me nostalgiafagging for the old stories I used to read in omnibuses and collections in the library as a kid

Agreed on the creator stuff you mentioned, but that means we also have to include shit like the Unfunnies, which is godawful
As I said on Supes, there's a strong argument for Millar
No way on X-Men, at least for me.
Already agreed on the Authority
You are fucking loony if you think Ultimates is better than JLA which is also the blueprint for the Ultimates if you ask me (Waid's is mediocre, Kelly's has better art and some great stories but it doesn't top Morrison's)
The effects on the industry are largely irrelevant in terms of quality of work, but frankly if you wanna go that way Millar has severely damaged Marvel by creating the modern event paradigm for them, chasing the high of Civil War. If One Million was the standard for events, and Morrison's Batman for long modern runs, the big 2 would be a much better place to get comics.

JLA, Zenith the Invisibles and Doom Patrol are all timeless as well

That JLA was impressive. And it never felt out of control like some of his other stuff has.

Brendan McCarthy
David Hine
John Smith

>Interviewed about his time at Marvel many years later, Morrison expressed little enthusiasm for tackling Spider-Man, believing that Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Buscehe had set the bar for the character so high on the original run that any take on the character would by necessity be in their shadow and largely redundant. He instead preferred to take Lee's 'teenage outsider' template and apply it to revamps of lesser characters like Marvel Boy and supporting players in his X-Men run. Spider-Man remains probably the most significant Big Two super-hero that Morrison hasn't written, with the character not even managing a cameo appearance in any of Morrison's Marvel scripts.