We all agree that the only good thing about this run was the art, right?

We all agree that the only good thing about this run was the art, right?

I liked the Court before it turned into a whacky international parliament

Pretty much, now King doesn't even have the art.

handsome joker trying to convince bruce not to go back to being batman without actually being able to give away that bruce was batman without triggering the very transformation he's desperate to prevent was high art

Writing is clunky as fuck as usual with Snyder. Best thing about that arc was this badass batsuit. I think it might be favorite of all time next to Dick's suit.

I dunno man, the Court of Owls always seemed like it was trying too hard to me.

>Oooh, it's a super-secret order that's responsible for the Waynes' murder AND tied to Dick's origins AND they've built a whole fucking secret floor into every single goddamned building in Gotham City, but Batman for some reason has decided they totally don't exist. Despite the MASSIVE FUCKING BLUEPRINT DISCREPANCIES IN EVERY SINGLE FUCKING BUILDING IN GOTHAM.

Oh, and they have a totally awesome army of immortal disposable uber-ninjas.

I still don't even know what the fuck the Court of Owls even wanted, beyond "Batman's somehow never noticed us in all his years fighting crime, so let's mess with him!"

"Bruce Wayne's long-lost brother ran off to join a creepy Skull & Bones Society-by-way-of-DeSade" isn't a half-bad idea for a story, but the execution was just so forced. OH IT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING except last I checked they're still just sort of standing there in their labyrinth being mysterious, and "Lincoln March" is still MIA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Snyder was the Stephen King of Batman writers. Horror bent and interesting ideas but can't stick the landing.

Capullo was great though.

...that is legit a great way of putting it.

What said. I also really like the court of owls because it gives an international villain group to dc besides league of assassins and kobra which is needed ecause ra's can fail only so many times before looking like a joke. Snyder's batman is fine the only crime he has is that he is really good at building up to something but he isn't very good at delivering a satisfying payoff with the exception of endgame so his stories seem to fall flat in the end.

Court of Owls was fine, the only thing I liked about Zero Year was Riddler, thats about it. This run was basically Snyder trying to top himself each time and trying to leave his mark on Batman. Moreover, almost everything he did was a fake out or of next to no consequence

>Owls
The maze issue was good. I think Lincoln March is a terrible villain
>Dotf
Enjoyed it much more rereading it in trades. I think my biggest problem with it when it came out was that DC overhyped it as being a major event
>Zero Year
I loved Secret City, the rest was just ok. I really love snyder's take on the riddler though so that's a plus
>Endgame
Fun but forgettable
>Super Heavy
Loved Bat-Jim, but I hated Bloom and the ending of the amnesia Bruce storyline left a really bad taste in my mouth. Plus Alfred not telling Bruce he has a ten year old son triggers the shit out of me.

Overall it's a solid run, but tends to get overhyped by normies. Which makes sense, since I'm sure it was the first ongoing Batman book that a lot of them had ever read.

Capullo really is the reason the read it though. I'm excited to see them reunite on Dark Days

No the mystery of if the Joker is a ageless supernatural Candyman type phantom in Endgame was phenomenal and everything I ever wanted in the character.
You wanna call Death of the Family edgy try hard crap, fine, but Endgame was fucking great.

Endgame stuck the landing.

You have got to be fucking trolling

Snyders riddler is amazing and my favourite interpretation outside of Dinis work on the character.

I really am not, my Jaw dropped with the scene of Jim discovering the old photos, the unnerving atmosphere and execution of that moment was superbly handled.

Based on this thread it seems like we can all agree that endgame was his best book of the new 52. It's a shame he never quite reached the heights he had with the black mirror.

> Preferring genuinely menacing villains with unnerving mythos to campy silly jokes equals trolling now.
Tell me, did you like Ultron as we got him in AOU?

And then there's that thing with Dick and Bruce punching his tooth out which was the dumbest thing ever

Instead of some bullshit healing chemical and both of them "dying", it should have ended with Joker telling Batman that despite the gag, Gotham will forever question if he is man, or something more, thus creating a legend to mirror Batmans supernatural stories.

I am this guy - And I think Court of Owls is better overall but they are close.

>I also really like the court of owls because it gives an international villain group to dc besides league of assassins and kobra

They're just a rip off of the Black Glove though, which already fulfills that role.

Wishlist...
> Snyder writes Thor after Aaron is done.

I'd rather the black glove stay in morrisons batman though so I don't mind the clone.

I mean Stephen King did co-write the first arc of American Vampire

Eh, I'm torn. On the one hand, I agree that overusing Morrison's creations would leave a bad taste in my mouth, on the other hand they didn't really do too much to distinguish the Court of Owls. I haven't read Grayson or anything, do we even know any of their members besides Lincoln March?

The "mystery" fell extremely flat because of the fact that I have an IQ above 90 and thus could figure out that no, of course the Joker wasn't going to turn out to be some supernatural demon bullshit. It was just an insult to the readers' intelligence to pretend we didn't know. Then again, here you are.

> Putting in Supernatural elements in to fantasy fictional worlds is bad writing.
> People who like supernatural villains are inherently lacking in intelligence.
> Everyone who ever liked the X-Files lacks intelligence.

I knew in canon they would never go through with it fully, but the idea was utterly haunting and not dumb whatsoever.

I liked Court of Owls and Zero Year
That's all

I mean, is it really any harder to swallow than Gorf Jorns' "NOW THERE ARE THREE JOKERS"?

One being dumb doesn't make the other not dumb

Bruce looked way too fucking young in this, like he was in his mid 20's.

Explain why it's fucking dumb.
Is Candyman dumb? Is the Grudge dumb?
Why the fuck is making the Joker supernatural a dumb or flawed concept.

It was expanded upon in the Talon series

Half the Black Glove is dead and the other half will never be seen again.

Nah, this run gave us Duke, which I am thankful for every day.

Because people like the idea that batman created joker and that as long as one exists the other will always be there to fight them. Having joker always exist even before batman implies that everything batman has done was pointless because he won't be able to always protect people from him. I like the idea that he can come back from death because it explains how he survived some early stories and how he always finds a way to come back but he shouldn't be immortal. There needs to be a limit.

Black Mirror was his Magnum Opus. Court of Owls and Zero Year are decent to good.

Everything else is trash.

Unless they just used them instead of the Court of Owls and added new members. Not very hard.
Synder's Batman steals so many beats from Morrison it's fucking ridiculous though.

...that whole thing felt like a ripoff of the kids discovering the clown from It being around forever. Which just validates what said.

kek

I actually hated the art.

You have no taste

Shit taste detected but out of interest which artist do you like.

What went wrong? Not even memeing. I liked everything Snyder made before his Batman run American Vampire, The Wake, even Black Mirror wasn't too bad, but his Batman run just didn't feel right.

The wake came out the same time we was doing death of the family. He's probably one of the writers who does best with a clear end in sight. Batman doesn't allow for an end so he can't write anything final because the status quo always needs to return in some way. It also doesn't help that he didn't like using the family and instead focused on creating new characters.

Was meant to be a reply to

The writing was solid when he wasn't trying to be Morrison.
I liked BatGordon, the suit was fantastic.

But Snyder is actually great, I mean he gave us Duke and not Mary Sue Damian

Harper is better than duke and more interesting. Harper has tims tech ability with Jason's broken family backstory with the difference being having a sibling that relies on her while actually wanting to be a hero on top of that. Duke is just a generic my parents died kid that batman took in out of guilt. He would be better off staying as the leader of a gang of robins rather than where he is currently