The Button Pt. 1 vs. Secret Empire #0

Does Marvel stand a chance? This feels like DC just shoving in Marvel's face that they can do events better than them.

>The Button
>event
I miss when every single crossover wasn't referred to as that.

Button isn an event it's a crossover

Button is stupid Batwank.

Thaaaank you

imo events have a main book and then tie ins that usually don't matter and are only there to raise sales

crossovers are totally different and require picking up each title and maybe a #1, omega, alpha, #2, whatever before and after to get the whole story

I'm aware that The Button's not "technically" an event, but they are both major storylines for their respective lines.

Over on reddit (I know I know) They already brought up comixology reviews, Batman #21 has like 600+ and Secret Empire #0 has like 120, as much as Supersons #3 and Superman #21.

This event is going to tank if those are anything indicative of the sales numbers.

The fact that just a crossover between two of DC's books can even come close to Marvel's BIG TOTALLY PERMANENT WORLD CHANGING FOR REALS THIS TIME book of the year should tell you all you need to know about the state of the publishers.

I don't wanna fuel company wars but the Button gave us some neat reaction images.

Don't let them get you down, user.

It's a pre-event.

Anybody who disagrees is just downplaying the importance of this arc. Rebirth was part 1 in this event, The Button is part 2.

It is a #0, so the #1 will probably sell much better. #0's are frickin stupid

yeah, it's like Sup Forums the comic

Remind me again, when was the last time DC had a BIG totally permanent world changing event?
And did that involve a crossover of some sort as well?

So an issue where Batman spends most of it getting the shit kicked out of him is batwank?

If this sells less then 60k and by issue 4 we are seeing ~40k per issue this event is going to ruin them though. And by those comixology weird metrics it's probably looking like a 60k Issue #0.

Convergence was kind of that, but DC also seemed to consider it filler. I guess Flashpoint would be what I would consider the last event comic. Until Dark Nights that is

Technically flashpoint because it led to new52 before that its final and infinite crisis which had multiverse implications. Dc's last event fullstop was forever evil which saw lex luthor becoming a hero and for a short time part of the justice league. In addition it also made dick Grayson stop being nightwing and instead become a super spy for a while

Yeah, I'm already off the Marvel "piss people off to sell a few extra comics" merry go round. They can eat a cast iron dick. I honestly haven't even read a Marvel storytime in weeks.

I usually buy comics, but I won't even read this shit for free. Think about that shit.

Completely the same, the only Marvel story I'm reading is America (story time of course not buying that shit), mostly because of the memes.

But yeah, completely jumped ship from Marvel to DC. I wasn't even a big DC fan but the Superman/Jon titles are so good that they pulled me in.

>I wasn't even a big DC fan but the Superman/Jon titles are so good that they pulled me in.

I hear you.

It's almost a decade since Once More Day, right? Peter could have his own Jon/Jane webbing around right now

>Implying marvel would ever let that much time go by before a reboot.

I'm a marvelfag, and I say that marvel doesn't stand a chance. Not necessarily, because The Button is good, but because marvel is that HORRIBLE

What excuses will spencer have when secret empire under performs.

you can tell johns plotted it

you do know about RYV right? MJ is Spinneret and is gonna get the klyntar, and their daughter annie may is spiderling

Sorry but what is the "The Button" event about?

This, the button is the continuation of the biggest thread of Rebirth. It's obviously pre-event stuff that is important.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

So if I read the first Rebirth and the prospect of a Watchmen crossover was kind of cool can I just wait for this Button to come out or are there a million issues I need to read that have random foreshadowing scattered throughout?

What about people who don't buy single-issues and only do TPBs? Buying as many comics as I read weekly is literally unsustainable. How do they seriously expect people to know what's going on in the Marvel Universe enough to care about an event when it costs ~$55.00 a week to keep up with the overarching story?

like someone here said johns writes comics like he is trying to get (You)'s

Batman throws Comedians button (which came to earth-0 in DC Rebirth thanks to wally) next to psycho pirates mask (multiverse shit), this gives bruce a vision of flashpoint batman aka his dad and also rewrites new 52 thawne into the old one who remembers batdad killing him and he wants to take it out on bruce

Button seems self contained, but there's a whole bunch of foreshadowing of various stuff yet to come to fruition in Detective Comics, Titans, Flash, and the Superman books

there's been a few things here and there involving oz, and some stuff with wally but we don't even know if he really is ozymandias

Holy shit how confusing thank you user it's appreciated.

>Entire issue takes place in one minute and a few odd seconds
Neat

To understand everything that's happened so far all you need to read is flashpoint and dc rebirth #1. To understand psycho pirates mask all you need to know is that during crisis on infinite earths he was not effected by all of dcs worlds becoming one so he remembers everything that's ever happened in dc and his mask is the source of his power and also contains that information

when Flash tried to fix everything after Flashpoint, 'someone' (implied to be Doctor Manhattan) 'stole' ten years worth of important events from people and framed Pandora for it. the absence of these events resulted in the Nu52 timeline rather than things going back to normal.
When Wally (white) started clawing his way back into existence, in one of the ensuring time storms the button from Watchmen shot out and embedded into the wall of the batcave.

Now people are starting to figure out that their lives aren't what they're supposed to be, but anyone who gets too close to figuring out the truth gets either killed instantly in a flash of blue light or else teleported to a cosmic jail in locations unknown
in the meantime there's this dude named Oz who seems to be working for (?)Manhattan(?), Mr Mxyzptlk reveals he escaped from his jail and accidentally ends up merging superbro with superdad to more or less recreate post-crisis superman. there's Three Jokers. one of the LoSH members is in arkham asylym while another just got killed during a hockey game. N52 Question may in fact have been a headfucked Rorschach. and because Psycho Pirate is a conduit for continuity, his mask is acting like some kind of catalyst when introduced to these 'Out of Place Objects' such as the button

Someone give me a quick rundown on Secret Empire and why people are mad at it

>Marvel wants to sell books
>Controversy sells
>Make Captain America a Hydra agent
>Controversy ensues
>profit

Marvel comics blow ass

Nazis won ww 2 and cap was always a nazi

I like both of them.

I don't mind the idea of Red Skull altering the past in order to make Cap a Hydra agent, and honestly, it's a better lead-in to an event than Marvel's done in ages.

My problem is simply that this is just ANOTHER major, line-wide, interrupting-every-other-storyline, everything-changes-here event. I'm super tired of it, and I really hope the rest of the comic community's event fatigue will begin to show in April's sales figures.

Because on the 100th annerversary of Kirby being born marvel decided to turn his most famous character into everything he was designed to fight against just to try and sell a shock event. It'd be the equivalent of having an event where batman decides the only way to fight crime anymore was to go full punisher

Don't worry secret empire won't matter next year they will just relaunch every book with number 1's again in the lead up to the next event

You just made me realise that what I thought was a pretty straightforward and simple issue is actually fucking impossible to understand for a normal person

Well that's stupid. All you need to know to understand what's going on in this issue is:
1) The button from Watchmen has shown up in the regular DCU.
2) Psycho Pirate's mask has something to with multiversal shenigans.

Don't be a bitch. With superhero comics, it's okay to be missing a bit of the lead-up to the story.

Well supposedly, Marvel isn't doing another major event for at least 18 months. We'll see if they follow through with that.

One of the retailer summit rumors via BleedingCool actually mentioned that they will be relaunching books with Legacy numbers, like the Venom #150, and what DC did with TEC and Action Comics. The cynic in me believes that there will be some creative counting to reach a book that will hit #1000 before DC does.

Fuck that, they're doing generations, which will be an event in all but name.

Anything that involves psycho pirate immediately becomes anti-new readers/casuals. There's a reason he is so sparingly used.

That's easy to say when someone on Sup Forums can condense it down into what they think is pretty simple. But even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
You have to have read Watchmen, Rebirth and Flashpoint, know about the new 52 and to what degree it changed things, have a cursory knowledge of Batman, Flash, Thawne, Psycho Pirate and what a multiverse is and to a lesser extent the Legion.

I mean, we take for granted all this stuff, but it's definitely not obvious what's going on.

18 months from now or from the end of secret empire because that's the difference from a year and a half between events and a couple months between events. Also I thought generations was going to be an event later this year what happened?

>You have to have read Watchmen, Rebirth and Flashpoint, know about the new 52 and to what degree it changed things, have a cursory knowledge of Batman, Flash, Thawne, Psycho Pirate and what a multiverse is and to a lesser extent the Legion.
No. No you really don't. This issue can be enjoyed by only knowing those 2 things that I mentioned. 1) Psycho Pirate has something to do with the multiverse, and 2) the Watchmen button has shown up in the DCU. And fine, I suppose you would need to know who Batman and The Flash are (who doesn't?), and you'd have to have a mild understanding of what a multiverse is. But that's it. Knowing all the stuff you listed would definitely help in getting a clearer picture of what's going on, but it's all side-details when you get down to it.

Literally not true. I started reading comics in January and had no problems following The Button #1. It was a pretty good issue.

I want all events to die

I decided to give Secret Empire a shot, i wasnt hoping for anything good, i had lost any hope for the current state of Marvel.
But this event is actually good

>Reverse-Flash fags get btfo by Batman and Watchwang

Based. RF is a terribly conceived, named, designed, and executed supervillain

Wow that's some mighty shit taste user I've never heard of anyone who hated thawne

He calls himself Reverse-Flash. Who does that? Joker doesn't call himself Reverse-Batman. Manta doesn't call himself Reverse-Aquaman. Even identity thieves like Otto and Lex just call themselves the name of the hero whose persona they're trying to steal.

Yeah but how many variants does it have? That's how Marvel gets #1 sales these days, especially with an event.

To guys like him, Batman simply breathing is Batwank.

>people think RF getting his foot stabbed by Batman has no precedent when this RF got stabbed in the back with an entire broadsword back in Flashpoint

Fucking casuals

He called himself reverse flash because he reverse engineered Barry's costume to gain access to the speed force. It makes sense for the character and the origin to have that name. Black manta isn't reverse aquaman because it doesn't make sense. Call himself 'I hate aquaman' would make more sense than reverse

He calls himself Zoom/Professor Zoom. He is the Reverse-Flash.

>people actually like the button now that they can company wars with it
any DC fan that isn't just trying to say 'fuck marvel' realizes how retarded the button is and how much of a blatant cash grab it is

for most of the industry, trades are the primary source of income

Marvel can't really get their shit together on that front, though

probably blame DC returnability again

The Button is great and Marvel is shit Nick, better start dealing with it

It was a good issue regardless of what you think of the Watchmen gimmick

this is a perfect example of what im talking about, it's not simply about how great the button is, it's only good in relationship to marvel

No, those were separate, independent statements:
1.- The Button is great
2.- Marvel is shit
The only thing in common is that both are true

See the thing is DC does one a year to keep the whole line afloat while Marvel does it shamelessly pretty much in perpetuity. I'm not reading either, but at least I know DC isn't going to drag this out as long as they can with severe delays.

No the button has proven to be great so far. T has nothing to do with comparing to marvel even though Harley is a passable title compared to more than half of marvels titles

>Harley is a passable title compared to more than half of marvels titles
let's not go crazy

He's right though

Harley would be right at home among Marvel's current library. It's not better than any of them except America but America is SoP-tier and should not be applied as a generalization.

I wish we could send current Harley to marvel in exchange for literally any character

Harley isn't a poorly written comic, it's just that muh Harley fags don't like where they've taken her character since TAS ended. Meanwhile, America might be one of the worst comics Marvel has ever published, which is saying something.

>Harley isn't a poorly written comic
time to go to bed, Amanda and/or Jimmy

>it's just that muh Harley fags don't like where they've taken her character since TAS ended
This would be an okay thing to say back in, say, 2006. We're on Harley #4 now. Only casuals think in terms of BTAS -> New 52/Suicide Squad, as though she just didn't exist for a decade.

> not poorly written
Don't worry dini we aren't talking about your parts of the book

ass blasted stan reeee

Didn't read SE but Batman 21 was pretty underwhelming

I bought batman 21 for 4 bucks, even with fabok's art can't justify the price vs content

>Genuinely well written CROSSOVER which will startr to explore Rebirth mystery thats been going over like a year, effecting charactors both major and minor ways.

VS

>Another weekly EVENT of 'Shut up and give us your money, even if you retarted fanboys read this shit you wouldnt know the difference between good written story and a bad one.' from the House of Ideas.

It's a mini series.
Learn the difference dumbass.

>Does Marvel stand a chance?
No, because no matter how good the story actually is, people are gonna act like faggots because of the plot.
And it is really good.

He calls himself Zoom/Professor Zoom/The Professor.

Reverse-Flash is a role he fulfills.

It is hard to predict what will be of Secret Empire.

On one hand, among the people that buy digital, it is behind Batman #21 (the start of a hyped crossover) and Superman #21 (a totally normal issue).

On the other hand, it is a #0 issue, not a #1, and #1 usually sell better than #0.

And the digital market is pretty direct, while the Diamond numbers reflect what retailers expected to sell, and not what they actually sold. So, if retailers have high hopes on Secret Empire, it might have stronger numbers and "The Button".

BUT, retailers aren't too fond of Marvel and this event in particular right now. This might reduce its numbers.

Forgot the image

>Thawne lands a hit on Batman
>is killed
Batwank never stops.

I wasn't a huge fan of how the first issue ended of the Button. Most of the issue was good showing that Batman is smart but completely out classed, but the ending was such a let down.

Full rankings on Tuesday