Did Don create the Coke Ad?

Enough of this Star Wars bullshit - did Don to back to New York and create the Coke ad or was it just a symbolic ending? Or both?

>McCann will take you back in a second, apparently it's happened before
>Don't you want to work on Coke?

I took it literally. He found peace in the beauty of the pure "idea". We hear the bell sound and see him smile at the precise moment it occurs to him. He creates the iconic ad that encapsulated the counter-culture of the 60s and repackaged it neatly to sell Coca Cola to the masses.

On a macro level it is cynical but on the micro level in terms of Don's character I see it as hopeful. He is at peace with himself and gets his mojo back by doing what he is best at... thinking up the idea.

This is what I want to believe. That bell did ring before too though, so it wasn't necessarily just a light bulb moment signifying chime.

I do want to believe he literally made the ad though.

True about the bell.

It does make me wonder if he would've stuck around at McCann for very long. Like i could see him coming back pitching the Coke ad campaign and seeing it through. But I couldn't see him showing up day after day as a cog in the machine again. Maybe he became more of an ad guru or consultant. Or maybe eventually he and Peggy create their own agency.

>ad guru or consultant

Yeah I like this. I mean, even from season 1 his shtick was all about working for companies without contracts. He probably went back, pioneered a groundbreaking as campaign, went intro freelance/retirement after. I want to believe he became a better father.

I believe the creator has said that is what happened. It was a pretty shitty ending to one of the best shows of all time.

This. Don finds inner peace and enlightenment, then uses it to sell Coca Cola. Wonderfully cynical but also remarkable.

I doubt it. In that meeting he briefly goes to at McCann, where some slick research professional is describing the average beer drinker to this room full of suits, Don immediately sees where advertising is heading and gets out.

I don't think he was capable of becoming a better father. All the traits that made him so amazing at everything else keep him from ever being that.

I liked it a lot but I respect how others can see it differently. It's one of my favorite show ending scenes.

Thats fine, I really like The Sopranos finale which is controversial. Maybe all good endings are (except The Shield).

My main issue is that I've watched the finale on three seperate occasions and I have almost no recollection of it. Also, Peggy's ending was outright terrible.

>Also, Peggy's ending was outright terrible.
terrible ending for a terrible character. Fits perfectly.

how is it a shitty ending, it's almost perfect imo

the ad is a great combination of his previously best ad campaign's inspiration from his own life experience (the carousel ad) and the lasting pointlessness of the Volkswagon "Lemon." ad he remarks about in season one

The series finale was just fine, it was suggested that Don finally found inner peace and that he also came up with the most famous ad of all time to boot. What, did the show have to end with old Don slowly dying of lung cancer in the 90s for it to be "complete" in your minds? It was as happy an ending a conflicted guy like Don could have hoped for. The final season was great too even though it strayed a little from the formula that had worked so well for the previous few seasons, and that's a good thing. I wouldn't have wanted it to end after becoming stale and predictable.
Most of the character arcs were tied up realistically (without any "everybody wins the lottery!" bunch of bullshit) and I was satisfied with it.

this is such a common opinion I almost suspect its a copypasta

Of course, it's very fucking heavily implied that he did, how is that even a question? If you want your threads to beat Star Wars shit, how about starting the OP with an actual intelligent question that leas to actual discussion?

>tfw don hugs the crying dude at therapy

Rip my heart

Why would you feel anything there? Don deserves very little sympathy for anything that happens to him. Yeah, he realized he's a garbage human being, but that's it.

I feel for the guy who feels like he's under appreciated, not don.

Ahh, ok. Yeah, that guy got a bum rap.

I had a dream I was on a shelf in the refrigerator.
Someone closes the door, and the light goes off
and I know everyone is out there eating.
And then, they open the door and you see them smiling
and they’re happy to see you,
but maybe they don’t look right at you,
and maybe they don’t pick you.
Then the door closes again. The light goes off.

>but maybe they don’t look right at you,
and maybe they don’t pick you.
Then the door closes again. The light goes off

Fuck

Just finished this last week and that was the most satisfying ending EVER

>the lasting pointlessness of the Volkswagen "Lemon."
>pointlessness
Easily in the top 10 best ad of all time.

asshole life doesnt just end knowing peggy she would be single in a few months life goes on you asshole are the ones who make writers kill off everyone in the ending LIFE FUCKING GOES ON

Mhm :) it always gets me so pumped that I immediately start watching the series over again. There's *nothing* like mad men

Mommy

I don’t get it. Why does this affect Don the way it does?

Does he identify with how the man feels (always watching people as an observer but never being invited to the dinner AKA being able to enjoy his life and be happy) or does it affect him because he can’t relate to what this timid little man is saying? (Don is always the one they look at, they always choose Don)?

Plz explain