Why did I wait so long to see this kino?

Why did I wait so long to see this kino?

>You know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting aliens from another galaxy that transcend time and space and having them take me aboard their gravity defying space craft. It was meeting you.

Same
I just saw it tonight!

dunno we had a few good threads about it back when it was released

Same. I kept putting it off. Was pleased when I finay watched it Monday.
I will say, I did not like some of the sub par cgi. Pretty jarring.

Yeah I remember most of Sup Forums liked it, but I didn't see it in theaters and couldn't be assed to torrent it. Better late than never I suppose.

i saw it recently too and thought it was overrated as fuck
other than the obvious one world government propaganda what was it even about?

>DUDE WORK TOGETHER AND YOU'LL LEARN ALIEN LANGUAGE THAT MAKES YOU SEE THE FUTURE BUT YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT SO ENJOY YOUR KID DYING OF CANCER LMAO

Also, I can see this movie being confusing for some. Is that why Denis added those dumb "ooohhhhhh" flashbacks in BR2049?

>kino
Arrival is practically capeshit. The film was made so middlebrow viewers like you can tip your film buff hats and be tricked into feeling like you're a somehow more discerning viewer, appreciating the medium on a level beyond the plebes, but it's normiecore schlock all the same. This film was Nolan level spoonfeeding trash, Villeneuve just hasn't gotten to the point where his name has become unfashionable yet.

not even a difficult movie to understand you're just that much of a brainlet

you are trying too hard

absolute brainlet flick

disappointed in dennis

Considering it had a fraction of the budget of the latest capeshits (which have god awful cgi and camera work) it's something I was willing to overlook. But it did weird me out when they went through the gravity shift in the tunnel and it looked like their faces were sort of pasted onto a screen inside their suits.

it's shit

What capeshit tries to be like this save for the Bravo Nolan trilogy?

It was about linguistics and how fundamental language is to us.
It was good, because it attempted to push the envelope on what an alien is, how fundamentally different they might be to us and other animals, as opposed to just ayylmao humanoids from other planets, that behave basically the same as we/ other animals do. It did this through the window of linguistics, which is what really defines us. Through this examination, it also gives the audience a chance to examine what humans are, and to draw back the shroud of everything 'normal' and what we take for granted as being how things are.

>not even a difficult movie to understand
Exactly. It's stupidly straight forward. And also stupid.

It would've been cool if they had stuck to linguistics and also changed the script from that retarded whiteboard intro. None of that meme future vision bullcrap.

>These brainlet posts
Yikes

>None of that meme future vision bullcrap.
That was one of the major ways they attempted to make the Aliens original and fundamentally different. The idea was (i think) that time for the aliens is not linear, and that they experience it simultaneously. Or atleast that is a hypothesis Amy Adams reaches. It doesn't have to be correct, or completely make sense, exploring this through a scientist is a kind of unreliable narrator. It's an interesting way of framing science fiction concepts. She thinks her visions are given to her by them, through some connection generated when they touch and they are just a small sample of the aliens cognisance. If that's how the aliens live, it raises questions about their free will, and the singularity of their (and our) world.

>attempted
Too bad it was lame and also a ripoff of tralfamadorians anyway. Inter-dimensional beings simply can't pass on a language that gives inter-dimensional perception to non-inter-dimensional humans. It's hackneyed writing considering the muh realism take this movie was aiming for in the beginning and seemingly followed through on with the way the main character interacted and deciphered the alien language from scratch. People who defend this garbage writing should consider rethinking their stance on the movie. And it does need to make sense. It's either space fantasy or science fiction. I'm going with space fantasy because of the laughable nature of the story.

wait, did they remake that film with Jodie Foster?

The film is told from the perspective of a scientist. It doesn't explain everything, because she doesn't understand everything. The explanations it does give are not necessarily right, because she is not necessarily right.
It's a refreshingly original form of storytelling, and one that has far more right to call itself 'science fiction' than the stories we normally get which are told from the perspective of a god (the audience), where everything is understood and definite.

>Inter-dimensional beings simply can't pass on a language that gives inter-dimensional perception to non-inter-dimensional humans
lol, why not? They could be telepathic, and sending the visions to her.

>tfw Abbot is death process

best part
>lol, why not? They could be telepathic, and sending the visions to her.
Because our brains are limited by our physical reality duh. Is your brain inter-dimensional? If not then good luck getting it there.

>Le New world order meme propaganda
no thanks

Dennis Villanova and Nolan movies HAVE to seen in theater. You can't properly experience the audio engineering from your shitty laptop speakers

spoilers

i think that there is a poor balance in the movie between on the one hand the importance of the little girl bit for the character of louise and on the other hand the clumsy, subplotted handling of that whole arc. i do get that it is supposed to convey the time-consciousness of these species, but it just seemed that general shang at the un gala, telling her the wife's last words, and her stealing the satcomm phone, taking a pure chance on this language working the way it does—that all conveyed the mechanism more effectively and achieved some real pathos with a properly internationalist sentiment, which is after all what the alien species were there to do. by comparison the hannah subplot just makes her out to be a selfish fatalist, and detracts from all the characters involved.

The aliens could be telepathic, and sending the visions to her, or simply acting from her current dimension as a kind of conduit for the visions. Those are 'possible' right?

This is them discussing how fundamentally similar humans are, in the context of examining creatures that are fundamentally different to us. Doesn't it get tiring examining everything as political propaganda?

Didn't you enjoy the realisation that these are not memories, but premonitions that she is haunted by and then the relevance that has to her work with the aliens. How that realisation when she has it, shapes her relationship with Renner and her understanding of her work?

How it's a this is actually sci-fi son twist on the 'science fiction character is haunted by painful memories of loss that aren't sci-fi but drama elements' trope?

no, i didn't really care for the twist. i thought it was clumsily unveiled. that whole plot arc was hamfisted and kind of contradicted the overall theme of the movie, which, again, seemed to be about international cooperation.

as for the twist being a flip of the trope: sure, fine, but again boiling down the profundity of the theme to what basically amounts to an oedipal drama is to me a worse sin than using a good trope

dont get me wrong by the way, i dont use the word pathos lightly: i did enjoy the movie overall. i just think its really sort of compelling and philosophical commentary on mortality and international cooperation amid global threat of war is sort of marred by individualism and addiction to these damaged personalities in adams and renner.

Lol wat, how is it oedipal?

I think he's referencing the Greek trope of unavoidable tragedy given a prophecy. Despite the attempts of Oedipus' parents to prevent him from killing the father marrying the mother fate intervenes and sees the prophecy through.