Was Act 6 in Homestuck really THIS bad?

Was Act 6 in Homestuck really THIS bad?

It just seems like Hussie improvised the whole act through...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's exactly what he did. he just threw up whatever because his plan was always to eventually retcon it all away, in the name of metanarrative wank.

It was was changing, bit dy bit, to meet expectations of tumblr and hit crittical mass of shit in A6A6A5

>improvised
that's what the whole comic was

No, it was awesome up until Game Over.

game over was pretty awesome itself

What was the point of Karkat?

>Most of it fugly, outsourced art
>The events literally erased from canon
>Good

Uh-huh.

The guy that did OP's image is the same guy that did this. How. How do you fucking backslide this much

Can someone explain to me why Terezi didn't have John save the other trolls.

>Namely Nepeta and I guess Equius

>> up until and including game over
> thing that happens after game over and would therefore not be included in that statement
> makes it retroactively bad even when deliberately excluding it

Nah man, also the art wasn't the best it had ever been, but it was pretty good tebehonest

kek

I was going to say that it's not that bad but then I remember karkat's ninja run

It wasn't all that bad my dude

Well, okay, it wasn't ALL bad, but a great deal of it was ugly and/or awkward.

Because hurr diddy derpity durr.

Act 6 was ghostwritten by hussie's inner circlejerk while hussie was preoccupied with being highly incompetent with money and game development.

I liked Game Over because it was the only time important characters died since Vriska

SHAME THOSE DEATHS DIDN'T MATTER, AND NEITHER DID VRISKA'S ANYWAY

>We'll never have Equius have his "World of cardboard" speech while beating the shit out of Lord English to buy time

Like, it fits fucking perfectly:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8

I love Aranea.

She was seconds away from dying (surprised she managed to come up with that whole fucking plan when she did) and I'm sure Hussie still had some sense not to reinclude joke characters.

Then Sprites^2 came in, and it all went to waste.

Dear god I've never noticed how fucking thicc Jane is, I don't know what the fuck Caliborn was on about.

>How do you fucking backslide this much

Instead of developing a skill you decide to pander to underage retards and overestimate exponentially your storytelling abilities

That's nice, this isn't your fucking blog. Clean your god damned room.

Most of Homestuck in general was improvising. There just became more callbacks and shit to keep track of the longer it went on.

And here we have a local case of "the fandom got so invested in their own version of a character they got pissed off when the story reminded them how the character actually is."

>Equius' personal quest was overcoming his domination fetish so that he could actually fight strong opponents

I just wanted Equius to go 100% STRONG, is that so wrong to ask for?

Equius is part of english though

plus equius was able to let lose in sgrub

I don't know what you're on about.

Let's make fun of character fans.

>Karkatfags

>davefags
>jadefags

>davefags

And we barely got to see any of it. He jumped once and killed a single enemy.

He doesn't know that.

WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE 10 OTHER TROLLS

They were just one-off joke characters, of course! You weren't supposed to CARE about them!

That's why we introduced them equally and gave evenly divided screen time with the 2 that were actually important!

It's YOUR fault for not realizing they were just joke characters, user!

what did you think/hoped was everyone's personal obsticle?
for the trolls, I thought it'd go something like

>karkat caring less about the leader and trivial things, and more about the end goal makes him an even better one
>arania learns to care about the value of consequences a bit more
>tavros aready did his part (taking initiative and building an army) but I kinda hoped either he or Karkat would lead it
>nepeta accepts her unrequited love and recovers from heartbreak stronger than ever
>kanaya learns to stop babying others/accept help from others
>terezi...shit, I dunno. atones for her regrets and stubborn attitude. becomes more open-minded.
>vriska accepts her faults and finds it a bit easier to be sincere with herself
>equius, of course, fucking steps up and puts discipline over indulgence
>gamzee gets to at least get some sort of final words in as himself
>eridan
>feferi understands that not everything is 'going to be okay, for sure', and sometimes you have to be harsh.

>not even mentioning sollux
RIP

Sollux achieved his goals in life.

GEE SOLLUX, HOW COME YOUR LUSUS LETS YOU HAVE TWO DICKS

XD LOL

one is for breakfast

Aradia: Plot device
Tavros: Satellite character for Vriska
Sollux: Gary Stu
Karkat: meme character
Nepeta: Joke character
Kanaya: Lesbian accessory
Terezi: Vriska accessory
Vriska: meme character
Equius: Joke character
Gamzee: Plot device
Eridan: Killed Feferi
Feferi: Literally who

>fucks off into infinity with Fef and Nep, free from the story forever with his bitches.
Best end for any character in this story.

maybe a boring, pseud-appealing "woah so realistic" sketchbook portrait is not the best example of hussie's peak work

Has Calliope develop or grew as a character? I kinda feel like she hasn't grown up at all and her relationship with Roxy is pretty codependent. And She would freak out and not function without her.

Assuming the pirate eyepatch sollux with aradia in collide wasn't pre retcon sollux

She was brought back to life immediately before the final battle, which she couldn't really help with, and all of the post-battle content so far is a mix of slice of life and fluffy romance stuff, so she hasn't really branched out in characterization outside of her relationship with Roxy.

The ending sucked for everyone.

Because she was hungry for Vriska cooch. She would've sacrificed all of her friends for her if she could.

He knew. He just wasn't able to express it in a way that wasn't insulting.

It's almost as if she was meant for something more but then at the last minute decided "nah, she's ok the way she is"

Nepeta was a fucking mistake.

Blegh, Calliope/Roxy should be illegal.

Roxy/Eridan is the best ship

I need to master the image/narration/dialogue format. Tell me some fan adventures that aren't quirky bloodstream au shipping schlock.

>Problem Sleuth
>A1-4 Homestuck
>Rubyquest
>Beginner's Guide to the End of the Universe

What else is required reading for this kind of medium?

I read most Homestuck archivally until I caught up to Slickpaint, and I liked Act 6 back then. I was really excited about the updates that followed, for the short while before and after the Megapause.

Looking back, some of it was good, some of it was great, other parts were utter shit. But it was nice from an archive reader perspective, and I think serial readers loved it even more.

The only reason I consider it cancerous nowadays is because it wasted so much time on pointless digressions that never ended up mattering.

John is a sad dude who, despite being blessed with cosmic power, has no autonomy, no drive, no perspective and no balls. He goes through existence letting people and events boss him around, except when his repressed anger and sadness causes him to do retarded shit.
Terezi is a broken psycho who considers death a form of entertainment and has no respect for her own friends, much less herself.
Hussie is a hack.

Nah, though I'm intrigued by your alternative.

Waterworks.

I'm more of a John/Roxy pleb

Jade's fuckin stoopid

You're confusing her with Rose

The problem with Act 6 is that Hussie pitched the ending in 2012, but obviously couldn't just stop making the comic until the animation was complete, so he went off on a bunch of tangents in the story to keep the fans occupied while he paved the way for the ending. As is Hussie's nature, however, he couldn't restrain himself, and so he ended up having to retcon most of those filler threads and more in order for the ending to make any kind of narrative sense when it was finally time to get back to it.

>implying there was ever a point to vriska and terezi too

i haven't seen this interpretation before, but... surprisingly it makes crazy amounts of sense.

It's pretty likely that Hussie was going to do the "Calliope was Lord English all along" twist foreshadowed by Caliborn swapping the hats on his chess pieces and then decided against it later.

I didn't realize it until a little while ago and the revelation hit me like a ton of bricks.

The first half of Act 6 was excellent, second half sucked

Hussie updated the map with an official quarantine for the irredeemably bad part of Homestuck: Part 4

That's why Act 6 sucked. But what made the ending bad was that there was never a resolution to the story told from 2009-2010. The kids never talked and were mostly unrecognizable, watered-down facsimiles of who they were. The closest we got to what the story needed was that cheap, emotionally manipulative bit in Collide where the house logo lit up to show the lives of each of the original kids.

Worship Vriska, the god of blood, rage and carnage.

Alas, the man who could fly went down in history as the man who fell from the sky.

so was it ever revealed how they managed to beat LE

has the snapchat bullshit ever shown that

He's saving that for the epilogue, which he is in no hurry to work on, and hasn't had time to touch (he's making some kind of SBAHJ project to be released alongside Hiveswap). The snapchats are over with because not even Hussie liked them, they're not canon as evidenced by the updated map.

remember the good times when act seven was supposed to be the epilogue on its own

This shit ain't hard, have one of my shitty sketches.

John/Roxy is a good ship, but it's only great if it coincides with Jane/Dave.

hahaha, i wish it went there,

this is a topic i was always lazy to search but, where can i find which HS pages were done by hussie himself?

Back before Andrew took over Hussie's body.

If it's not on the credit page I think you can assume he did it personally, though I'm suspicious of a lot of late Act 6.

It's a pretty rare pairing as it is.

Awful Hospital

Prequel
Nanquest (same author as Rubyquest, it's even better, IMO)

It actually makes sense with some of my own theories actually. Like how the additional retcon Vriska was never supposed to be and 'Pirate Vriska', that is to say the original one was intended to be the Vriska we see in Act 7, that's why we see her in there just as he planned in the animation years back.

But because he changes his plans, he had to change her design to shaved-dyke and whatnot to differentiate and make clear "No this is this completely other version I'm adding now"- You can even tell in the video that it looks as if they filled in her eyes last minute just to make the changes more apparent.

This ""voice acting"" destroys the great writing.

How did you think the ending was going to go, before it was actually posted? Looking back, it's pretty evident to me that a satisfying conclusion just wasn't a realistic thing to expect from this comic. It was simply far too big and convoluted for such a thing to be possible, and all the characters had already been derailed.

There was so much hope on 4/13/16 before midnight. What were you hoping for and how did you think it was going to work?

If I had been full of hope... I'd have expected a Problem Sleuth style finale, because Hussie's already succeeded at one. But shorter, of course, with less focus on the actual fighting and more on the setup of weird puzzle shit, characters working together and facing final challenges and making sacrifices, heavily teased plot threads interconnecting, culminating into the utter, on-screen defeat of Lord English, his lackeys, and Jack Noir.

The retcon garbage was still on my mind, so I wasn't too hopeful, but I still expected something fun and complex like a multi-part fight minigame against LE, with everyone contributing somehow, LE's on-screen defeat (again), and character arcs being ended satisfyingly (e.g. Jade, WV, Davesprite getting to be valuable). I thought it'd be slightly disappointing, but generally okay.

I never thought we'd get such impressively, world-record bad shit like the canon fates of Jack and Spades, the sheer amount of vriskawank, unexplained plot device black hole/juju shit, and zero explanations as to how they, you know, defeated the big bad of the story.

Does it bother anyone that throughout the entire webcomic, the kids fight and oppose primarily monarchical figures, such as the black KING and QUEEN, Her IMPERIOUS Condescension, and LORD English, but in the epilogue all eleven of the remaining kids are only citizens in their own KINGDOMS? Way to drop the ball there. There could have been a solid theme about the importance of taking matters into your own hands, and one of how authority figures are not always right or fit for their position if the kids decided to rule their own planet as gods. That's why I thought the ending sucked.

silver lining: canonical vriska tit jiggle

Sounds much better. I'm glad they didn't actually beat LE, though, since I was rooting for him at this point.

and Jade

>he doesn't hate Vriska so much that her sex appeal is nullified
I don't trust people like you.

Aradia is ____.