What is it about cartoons that makes them more memorable than anime?

What is it about cartoons that makes them more memorable than anime?

I mean, everybody knows about The Simpsons, Sponge Bob, South Park, classics like the Looney Toons, etc.

But compared to that nobody fucking knows what Akira is, what Evangelion is, nobody gives a fuck about Studio Ghibli in general beyond spergs, why is that?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

More exposure/easier to find. I'm certain the inverse of what you said is true in Japan.

You live in a western country

Yeah I mean it's pretty obvious.

How many times have you seen Akira or Evangelion on TV, or how many times did you see them on TV when you were a kid?

The only anime I remember seeing on kids channels (in the UK) back when I was a kid were Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Shin-Chan - and often they'd be on in later time slots, whereas you'd have hour blocks of Spongebob, The Simpsons, South Park, etc.

>Topic is about timeless cartoons
>Posts side character from recent animated show that may or may not withstand the test of time

cartoons have more variety in animation styles. most anime have the same exact style or have small variations.

NGE, KLK, and Madoka Magica stick out in my mind because it seems like they're the ones most popular in the West due to the unique stories and designs.

you'll honestly be surprised by how much westaboos love western animes

I wish animes had unique artstyles like cartoons did, that shit was unique and made each stand out in ways that were very apparent

There was a Scott mcloud page about how the simpler and less detailed a character is the more a viewer can project onto them as a template and thus remember more easily than something that goes for realism.

Consequently most cartoons are memorable because they're vague and simple characters that can be reduced to minimal icons but still be recognized. Meanwhile japan mostly goes for a more realistic style in general because for a long time anime was the only affordable way to make their entertainment, they never developed a Hollywood system in proper fashion. So after a while that's just what they stuck to.

I'd argue that these days it's the opposite, now they're going for more abstract designs. I can recognize one punch man in a crowd. Steven universe and clarence? Not so much, they look like crayon shin chan knockoffs. Almost all the calarts cartoons do, I don't get why they're aping a show like that so poorly, it'd be like if japs tried aping south park for a full season.

But yeah generally things made for children are simpler and more memorable while things made for adults generally have a little more nuance to them and don't need a shrieking prepubescent fanbase to be apreciated fully.

>things from your own culture are more memorable to you than things from other cultures
Holy shit, holy shit!!

Counterpoint. Everybody knows Dragonball Z and Pokemon, and a wide majority are also at least aware of things such as Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing.

It's all down to exposure. We know the shows we had on TV as a kid/were heavily marketed over here. That's it.

>said is true in Japan.
just in one country vs all the countries.

And even then, japan knows about cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse while the rest of the world barely knows about Goku

I disagree. Unless we're talking about kids here, most Sup Forums users here have access to be the same amount of content as in Japan. in fact I'm sure if you did the math Sup Forums and other Sup Forums users have watched more anime episodes in total than cartoon, because anime and Japanese shows in general tend to have longer seasons.

The only reason we tend to remember Western shows more is because they don't all look the same, so we only remember the best anime, whereas we usually remember all good and shitty Western cartoons.

What I'm saying is, I think its less about accessibility and more about the fact if you live in the West you're almost programmed to remember Western stuff more because its all around us, whereas with anime its only on the internet or in social circles. we can access both equally, we just subconsciously choose to remember Western stuff more because its all around is. its part of our culture. but that doesn't take away the accessibility we have to Jap stuff online.

>can recognize one punch man in a crowd. Steven universe and clarence?

meh, I love one Punch Man but the only thing lacking is good character design, besides Saitama everybody looks like they could appear on a really shitty generic ass manga, specially the female characters.

And even if I don't like it, Steven Universe is waaay mroe popular

Being unable to identif-URP-fffy with characters that have compli-complicated faces, and -URRRPP- relying on overly simplified features is a sign of autism, morty.

YUUUUURP autistic, morty, it it it means you, you have no social skills or empathy, y-you're like Chris chan, morty, you're like Chris chan but waaaay dumber, morty.

>And even then, japan knows about cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse while the rest of the world barely knows about Goku

I'm willing to bet that way more people know about Goku than you think.

Also, Goku is not 80+ years old like Mickey Mouse is.

>Counterpoint. Everybody knows Dragonball Z and Pokemon

DBZ maybe, Pokemon is only remembered because of the games.

>, and a wide majority are also at least aware of things such as Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing.

no, only weebs know and care about those shows, specially Gundam is not popular at all outside dork circles

Actually, there are more people living in a concentrated area of the east than the entire rest of the world, so there's a very real possibility that steven universe is vastly unpopular in comparison. I mean, one piece is the number one best selling comic of all time, but you never hear about it in the west, because it's a product marketed towards the east and the east specifically.

It's kind of weird how americans think they're the center of the universe when it comes to media, when in reality, you guys are the weird minority of foreigners for the rest of the world.

yeah but the point is that.

Cartoon characters are popular all over the world, including Japan.

While anime characters are mostly known in Japan and among spergs.

Most people don't even remember the classics like Captain Harlock, Ranma 1/2, Yu Yu Hakusho, Mazinger, Astro Boy, etc.

While Finn from Adventure Time is well more popular despite a show that has only been around for like 10 years

It depends on where you live.

The best example is Lupin III. Popular in Japan to this day, but didn't get much of a release anywhere else in the world and generally only has cult followings in most places. Most are only exposed to it now because the Internet makes the world a bit smaller.

That is except for Italy. Italy fucking loved Lupin III from the day it was first shown over there, to the point that the series "Lupin III Part IV" was set in Italy and even RELEASED in Italy before Japan.

Westaboos>Weeaboos

>just in one country vs all the countries
fair point but that anime you're talkin about surely made a noticable impact if you're complaining about it in the first place

>Actually, there are more people living in a concentrated area of the east than the entire rest of the world so there's a very real possibility that steven universe is vastly unpopular in comparison.

Maybe if we were talking about the India. And even then Johnny Bravo is popular as fuck there too.

>Astro Boy

I was with you until I mentioned the last name. Astro Boy is well-known all over the world.

Speaking of classics, what do you guys think about Doraemon's recognition around the world?

Yeah but there is a ton of people that just have no idea about who Goku is, even little kids these days are not living under the ''is mandatory to watch and enjoy DBZ'' era anymore

*until you mentioned the last name.

Nigga, speed racer is more widely known than Astroboy

>Astro Boy is well-known all over the world.

not really, you can show a pic of the character to random people under 20 and they would not know about him

I feel like most people will have seen the character before but likely don't know Doraemon's name.

Western cartoons tend to run for years

Japanese cartoons run for only a few months with many never getting a second season. Japanese have far larger catalogue of animation than the west does so of course its difficult to remember most of it aside from the iconic or timeless stuff

And this comparison is stupid like all other anime vs western autiam

Gravity Falls will be remembered at least as much as A:TLA
It has a pretty substantially huge fanbase for a kids' show

This is the area I'm referring to, by the way. There's a reason why Hollywood and the Chinese market are so lucrative, it's literally the majority of the world's population.

And that population is honestly way more familiar with and nine and nimrod other Japanese and eastern oriented art than western cartoons that aren't from over half a century ago that got mass appeal mostly out of the massive economic buff americans got post ww2.

India is a big contributor but it's actually mostly a ton of Chinese people who share more culturally with japs and koreans than americans.

Like fuck, no normie american knows what the fuck doraemon is, but it's a household name in the east and it's honestly probably going to outlast stuff like the Simpsons in longevity.

Like the thing is, do you really think the anime industry, with the sheer amount of content it pumps out every season compared to the he one or two decent shows that come out in the west per year, did you seriously think it was all for a Japanese audience and nothing else? How fucking out of touch do you have to be?

The east is literally the fucking hub of human enterprise and is more financially stable than the entire american market, there's a solid reason they don't make stuff for americans as much as they used to: you guys are shitty consumers.

>I disagree. Unless we're talking about kids here, most Sup Forums users

From OP's point about:
>I mean, everybody knows about The Simpsons, Sponge Bob, South Park, classics like the Looney Toons, etc.

I took him to mean the general public.

Even amongst Sup Forums users, we're more likely to remember stuff from Spongebob just because everyone in our non-Sup Forums peer groups also do. It's the same reason Spongebob is used in so many Twitter 'memes'.

I think you're still thinking in terms of US exclusively.

Anime never really became widely rotated on TV until the late 90's, when people started to become interested in all things Japanese.

Anime was around, and even being played on some TV stations before then, but it was usually always on premium channels, or on at weird, early morning hours (like, after midnight. Not 7 AM Saturday morning cartoons)

It became pretty big for about 10 years, but in recent years (probably the mid 2000s) it receded back into a more niche following.

It still a little more in the open than it was pre-late 90's, but that's because the Internet is so huge now, whereas it barely existed in the way we know it now back then.

You can probably come across anime and manga related stuff just offhand and unintentionally on the the internet now.

other than obvious geographical stuff, western cartoons all or at least, large majority have unique artstyles. Actual unique artsyles, not like japanese-unique artstyle that's just the same only everyone's heads are shaped oddly; actually made with different animation methods

You're comparing a bunch of old school animes with a cartoon show that has been released 10 years ago. It's like you are only using the new generation to make your judgement about what people know and don't know.

Would make more sense if you used actual classic cartoon characters like Mickey and Bugs Bunny instead recent franchises like Adventure Time and Steven Universe.

No way, it ended far too abruptly. It will be all but forgotten by the end of the decade.

well, in that case then, then yeah, its obviously about accessibility. they're not airing NGE on FX every other Saturday.

The size of a show's fanbase doesn't necessarily measure how good the series itself is. And the thing about fanbases is, sometimes they can fade way,wither, and diemif left unattended.

Animation sucks.
It's an outdated medium and both east and west are too incestuous to improve, they've fallen into stock artstyle that suck.

Videogames have replaced animation as the illustrative escapist fantasy for young and old alike. It sells more than Hollywood movies, more artists work in than industry than all others combined, and it's more creatively free for high and low budget releases than anything else in the last decade.

Face it, Sup Forums, you too, Sup Forums, your mediums are dying and becoming irrelevant while vidya is literally paving the way to the future with new technology and actual, real creativity instead of the swill you settle for. Even our archaic classics surpass your newest spitshine bile.

Thanks for the starting point, but have fun seeing animated films die hard and fade into obscurity while any schmuck in his basement and unity can make a game that makes more for one guy in a month than legacy Pixar and disney animators get in a year working on some time waster for babies.

Much lo/v/E

:^)

/thread

There's less good cartoons and cartoons overall. So the good ones, even the mediocre ones, really stand out. On top of that, cartoons which are good get renewed until they go bad. Anime on the other hand does seasonal cycles and good shows aren't guaranteed to get renewed, and when they do, it's usually two years after the hype has died down. Next, anime is still mainly children's entertainment at the end of the day and most adults in Japan don't watch anime. So there's less incentive to keep the good stuff going when they have a guaranteed cash cow with regulars like Pokemon, Doraemon, One Piece, etc. Lastly, cartoons are more easily accessible and come in english, which is the most widely spoken language in the world, whereas most people have to sit around waiting for dubs and subs for anime because they can't watch raws.

It's no surprise that cartoons are perceived as being more memorable.

vs Autism Wars: The Thread.

This is terrible and thinly-veiled shitpost/trolling/flamebait thread. Everyone is posting literally the same thing but worded differently, it's not like any of you are even trying. Just stop.

When did you realize that niggers are inherently less intelligent and more violent than white people?

>Next, anime is still mainly children's entertainment at the end of the day
This is a joke, right?

thread over, everyone go home

>english, the most widely spoken language in the world

>English is in third with 335,000,000
>next is spanish with 414,000,000
>and first place is chinese with 1,197,000,000

Sorry, son, east wins again, and pablo is cucking you.

Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, american culture is fucking tiny and only brings an indifferent "huh, good for them I guess" from literally the entire majority of the planet.

This is pretty ridiculous. Especially when you consider that Japan is both a geographically small country and not a powerhouse economically or otherwise while America is the only world superpower, its animation is actually incredibly popular and, yes, watched all over the world. I'd say it's actually wildly disproportionate to the country's influence otherwise.

And anything comes across badly if you're comparing it to fucking Disney. Like asking why Coca-Cola isn't consumed as much as water is worldwide.

But yes in Japan this is different, and even here, lots of kids grew up watching DBZ, Pokemon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon. Again it's actually odd the reach anime does have.

It's mainly marketed at children. There are adult shows, but the market itself is highly skewed toward battle shounen. It's children's entertainment.

Much like how cartoons are largely children's entertainment despite the existence of things like Happy Tree Friends and Venture Bros.

There's no comparison between cartoons and anime in this sense, no matter how much delusional Americans may try to make one. Cartoons are for children by default, and the few adult ones are almost exclusively trash comedy. Anime primarily consists of serious series for adult viewers, though anime kid shows have certainly been made.

Actually, most anime is marketed towards high schoolers, and it's either persona knockoffs for boys or its romance stories for girls, with a lot of crossover for both.

It's almost like you're talking about anime stereotypes that haven't been relevant for the last decade. Like an out of touch cartoonist making speed racer jokes.

Nobody cares about Chinese insects, and English is more spoken than Spanish in terms of total speakers. Spanish is actually behind Poo in total speakers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

Regardless, none of those languages are japanese, which is what the point made was about. Most people cannot actually watch and understand anime as it is released.

Additionally, may I have a source for those statistics? I have a feeling that the numbers may be off due to the fact that Chinese students learn English during schooling and have been doing so since at least the 70s. Unless they are talking about the actual languages people speak day to day, and not the languages people know.

Let's be fucking honest. The only cartoons known worldwide are looney tunes, tom & jerry, classic disney toons, the simpsons, TMNT 1987, 80s TF and maybe South Park if we stretch it.

Basically franchises that have been on the air for years and more people grew up with them. So of course they are gonna have way more media awareness than anime that last 1 season/series.

Still I believe people below 30-35 would know DB and other popular anime since people in that generation grew up with.

>anime is mostly for adults

This myth needs to end. Anime and manga are primarily aimed at children and teenagers and most adults don't even watch or read anime and manga. Its autism from weraboos who want to believe their fantasy that Japan treats animation as a super serious art form. They don't, their industry just evolved in a different direction than ours

T. An user with relatives from Japan

Oh and before I forget maybe add Hanna Barbera stuff like the Flintstones and other 80s cartoons in the list of stuff known for the general public

>Chinese still beating out English by a gigantic margin.

Okay, jonny.
Doesn't matter anyway, after Jamal and Abdul cuck you your wife's children will be speaking Somali and arabic soon enough. And if not, your daughters will get a nice rapefugee bf. Who knows, maybe all European descendants will wear hijabs someday.

Holohoax never happened but it should have

The only smart thing to ever come out of a woman's mouth was Einstein's dick

What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead nigger in the road?
The dead dog has skid marks in front of it.

Because shows like venture bros and happy tree friends are founded on crass humor that many associate with childishness and immaturity

The fact that Japanese (possibly) don't see it that way doesn't change that anime is now marketed towards the West in many cases, and as such Japan's tastes have become much less relevant.

You son of a bitch rice farmer, the day of the chopsticks will be upon you soon

Okay Xhang. How many people speak Insectoid outside of Insectika that aren't ex-pats like yourself?

It's only because China is fuckhuge, retard.

Most anime by season is marketed to children. More anime overall recently have been marketed to young adults because they only get 12-13 episodes and get replaced seasonally. These short sprints stay alive by selling waifu mechanise to filthy otaku and gaijin, but the lasting shows are marketed to children. The shows with the strongest market presence are marketed to children.
Anime is still primarily children's media. They may touch on heavier topics than western media from time to time, but it's still children's media. You can simply go on your favorite website and look at the proportion of shows airing by season and check their airtime and censor rating in Japan.

Oh you dog you
You dirty dirty dog muncher, you

Because the otaku market was always niche whereas in the US you have an entire generation who grew up watching entry level anime of Cartoon Network and have convinced themselves they're connoisseurs for liking anime because it's so "different" and "mature" compared to western animation. I remember seeing people who thought they had good taste because they liked Elfin Lied simply because it had excess gore and nudity

That looks like it doesn't take into account secondary languages.

>day of the chopsticks

Is it bad that I'm Chinese and still think this is funny as fuck?
The whole "day of the x" thing is hilarious

>animation sucks
>video game as a medium needs animation or else you just get text based games
oh the irony...

Fucking this. Most of the more graphic shows don't air on Japanese television or they air at night edited. The average Japanese adult isn't staying up late to watch a cartoon

Also "chinese" is a broad term for what is essentially 5-6 completely different languages each with dozens of dilects a piece.

>tfw /lit/
>if your medium died tomorrow it wouldn't make a difference because you literally have multiple lifetimes of old content to go through, and all of it is better than shartoons and fartime

Most common dialect is Cantonese

Would you suck his mighty BBC off, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums and /lit/?

>cartoons literally require Korean (anime) animators to do their inbetween work because nobody in the states gives a shit about it, your studios wage fix and make sure all work locations are in expensive cities, and your unions make sure nobody can make a lower budget show while fostering talent instead of farming it all out
>even your cgi gets sent to India

Cartoons literally cannot survive without anime animators doing the real work, while american ((animators)) make one or two keys that are just glorified storyboards and call themselves hard working professionals.

You're a joke, Sup Forums and you know what? Comic books are fucking gay too, even if it's not capeshit it's shitty masturbatory indie cap and webcomics.

Real nice medium there, faggot.

Grow up.

>this thread

I'm not from the US, that's why I'm saying it, I know people from all over the world and I have seen television from all over the world and people reference cartoons all the time

The retarded weeb doesn't know that the Japanese use Korean animators too and that being an animator in Japan is just as shitty a job as it is in the west

>you will never be a huge muscular nigger dominating a white """""""""""man"""""""""""

>KLK, and Madoka Magica
>the ones most popular in the West
NGE is popular, but really now

MODS
MOOOOOOODS
DELEEEEET

>"a ton of Chinese people who share more culturally with japs and koreans"

>China blocks access to K-pop and K-drama streaming services (And any other foreign media content)
>Korea banned Japanese movies music games tv and whatnot since 1940's, the ban was lifted in 2004 but It is still illegal to broadcast Japanese music and television dramas over terrestrial signals.
>Japan... You get the gist.

>not fapping to nigras

If Western cartoons are so great, then why don't I masturbate to them?

Because you're weaboo trash.

>Japan
Isn't their webcomic market slowly being taken over Korean webtoons.

Doraemon is pretty well known in Spanish speaking countries

Nah, you're both being close-minded retards

the thread should have ended here

Shit like Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece are bigger outside of Japan than basically every cartoon released post-2000.

Everybody imports American entertainment but we don't give a shit. Asterix & Obelix sell more than Marvel and DC's monthly output combined but you'd be hard pressed to find a single collection at an American comic book store.

>Sup Forums moderation at play
Why are these retards still allowed to work?

you are projecting. lurk more for a few more years or 10. thanks

well because those amine aren't pokemon, DBZ, attack on titan, Naruto, sailor moon, or voltron. cartoons are more memorable here in the US due to varied styles, marketing, and the often niche fanbases of some of the anime you mentioned (niche isn't bad, in fact a smaller audience are often 10 tines more devoted )

アニメの方がカートゥーンより忘れられないですか.

NARUTOとONE PIECEとBLEACHは皆様が知ります.

けど, THE SIMPSONSとSPONGEBOBとSOUTH PARKの皆様が知らないオタク以外だよ. いや?

Each country just has their odd little groups of aficionados for foreign animation, let's just leave it there.

Also this conversation is fucking stupid. Post Westaboo stuff instead.

Most people get turned off by the fact that anime is in japanese and they have to read subtitles

>besides Saitama everybody looks like they could appear on a really shitty generic ass manga, specially the female characters.

Wasn't that kinda the point?

Where the fuck are we supposed to discuss this then? Are you telling me there's a /coa/ board?

>Pokemon is only remembered because of the games
False. The anime during its first few years was fucking huge.

I think part of the reason here is because of these kinds of shows would translate to an international audience.

The first Lupin III anime series was released in the early 70s. Imagine if an English dub of it were made back then and aired on US television. The dubbing probably would've been awful and it probably would've been censored to hell. It would not have gone anywhere in the US back then so no one bothered to try.

A dub of the original Dragon Ball was attempted in the 80s. It got cancelled after five episodes. It wasn't until the rules of what you could do on tv became less strict that we started to get more anime localized. And even then, all that gets made today is generic waifu harem garbage that only weebs care about so there's still nothing worth bringing to television.