Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

>Lucas is one of those autists who think swords > guns

Explains a lot, honestly.

>Another Star Shit Thread

>Luke, listen to me. The best way to use a lightsaber is to point it at someone and turn it on. You can even use the force to sneak the lightsaber behind a sith lord and then turn the lightsaber on.

>you think I'm going to stop the First Order with some laser sword?

Why didn't Obi wan do that against daurth maul?

The concept of "guns make killing easy, and killing a person should never be easy" is a pretty long existing concept.

And it's a pretty fucking stupid one. By that logic, swords shouldn't exist because killing someone with your bare hands is harder. The entire point of a weapon, any weapon, is to make killing easier and more efficient.

If a lightsaber was the only weapon that existed in the SW universe, violence would actually be a lot more likely, because those who are trained to use them would use that knowledge and expertise to terrorize those who do not, not to mention that some species are simply less physically adept than others. Compare that to a blaster, which anyone can pick up and use.

In reality, weapons like swords and maces are relics from a far more savage time, where the strong could easily dominate the weak (and often did so).

When you can use it to deflect all projectiles, cut through anything and do crazy force moves with it, obviously it's better than a blaster.

>When you can use it to deflect all projectiles

Except in all honesty we know that you really shouldn't be able to. If a Jedi fights two guys, one who constantly fires at their legs while another constantly fires at their chest, then the Jedi will lose because his saber can't be in two positions at once, even if the Force is telling him exactly where to put his saber. Now increase that amount to four guys. Now increase it to ten. Hell, the droid armies in the prequel series could have accomplished this easily, because they have the precision, timing and coordination of machines.

But obviously it doesn't happen because it's a bunch of space fantasy films for kids and it wouldn't really make any sense for the heroes to get vaporized 5 minutes into the film.

"God made all men, but Sam Colt made all men equal."

This user gets it.

Obi Wan is a massive bigot tho. I just re-watched the PT and he is constantly slurring people: Politicians, droids, 'pathetic lifeforms' (ie slave children and low iq fish people). He makes jokes about blasters being uncivilised while he is literally looking at the corpse of General Grievous, an alien whom he has just killed.

In fact he is probably more prejudiced than Palpatine. Its no wonder that he sees an era of Jedi domination as being the only civilised way to live.

Also he's fucking arrogant and incompetent - pic related.

It's because starwars pairs jacobites in with the jacobins, the glorious aesthetics of reactionaries can't be denied.

You completely misunderstood what that phrase means user. When you simply have to push a button to kill someone you are more willing to kill someone. Theres a bluntness and lack if discipline to guns that doesnt really sound like things that should describe Jedi.

Guns are an equaliser, Im not saying theyre bad at all, but there is elegance to a weapon that requires thought behind it to use effectively and its suppose to harken back to knights and chivalry and shit, thats the point of lightsabers. You wouldnt have those duels that test Lukes strength and will as a jedi if they were both using guns. Id never use a sword over a gun in real life, but for a movie its a fine concept to use one over a gun because is symbolic.

Obi Wan the first Jedi to kill a Sith Lord since the days of the Old Republic. He lost to Dooku who was the master of his master and so could easily predict him. Same reason is why Anakin lost to Obi Wan later on

I really disliked the Saber lookin TLJ. Whats with the Ovular blade tip?

Only true lightsaber look is ESB. Tight core, Slight taper to the point. Minimal Over glow.

>Jedis only use the force to tell them where to put their sword

>its suppose to harken back to knights and chivalry and shit
Yes, because brainlets think that a more "civilized age" actually existed in real life. But like I said, men that were trained to use weaponry and wear armor could terrorize those that were not.

You see lightsabers as elegant because you're uneducated. People with half a brain know that specialized and esoteric weaponry in the hands of an elite few is a really fucking bad idea.

Did you really not see A New Hope? What the fuck do you think Luke uses to block the shots from the remote?

I don't think you get the fucking point, user.

I do get the point, and the point is fucking stupid. I just blew apart the point with simple logic.

He never once says it's better. Jedi are good enough to be very effective with it, and it has very important connections to Jedi traditions and culture.

When they get better one would assume the Force would make their instincts honed enough to know "block there, block there" but eventually go beyond that to "too many - disengage...too many - don't engage...too many - pull their blasters out of their hands..." or if nu-wars is cannon "stop the laser blasts mid air."

>He never once says it's better

A weapon that is clumsy and random is outright worse than one that isn't.

Jedi's fight with swords and the force. Knowing the style someone uses isn't going to auto-win you the fight. Besides, Obi taught Anakin everything he knew and lil Ani btfo Dooku. And Yoda, who taught Dooku, only stalemated him when they fought. So no, you're a retard. Dooku beat Obi because, like with literally every one else Obi fights, Dooku is more powerful than Obi Wan. Obi Wan only ever wins with sly scouser tricks and mischief. When he can't do that he is fucked.

>those stormtroopers standing with their feet at different width apart
>boils my autism dumplings

>clumsy and random is outright worse
Then explain how a fucking portable nuke wouldn't kill any Jedi. Or are you going to tell me that it's an elegant precise weapon?

Well when you think of guns you probably think of some random nog gangbanger doing a driveby whereas swords are more knights templar thing. Incidentally did africans ever invent swords?

>Then explain how a fucking portable nuke wouldn't kill any Jedi

They would shield themselves from the extreme pressure and heat with the force. Same way that Leia protected herself from the vacuum of space.

Prove me wrong you literally cannot

I think you're the only person who thinks that. Guns get linked to officers and soldiers while swords are some anime autism.

you mean the people who kill people who dindu nuffin and baby killers?

>believing any movies after 6 are canon

Only canon movies are Rogue One, ANH, and Empire

the Kino Trilogy

Muskets and early rifles were clumsy and random compared to bows, but that didn't stop them from being more effective for waging war.

>Muskets and early rifles were clumsy and random compared to bows

Nice meme.

>Rogue One
>kino
Five Yuan have been deposited in your account. Thank you for supporting the Chinese film industry.

Except he's right, bows were better in skilled hands, but rifles were better for the average soldier who couldn't get years of training. Lemme guess, you're a retarded noguns who thinks muskets were perfectly accurate, had little bullet drop and were always "instakills".

>there is elegance to a weapon that requires thought behind it to use effectively and its suppose to harken back to knights and chivalry

>Except he's right

>bows get damaged when wet
>much more easily broken than a gun
>requires much more in the way of physical exertion to use
>in general people can't carry nearly as many arrows as they can musket balls and gunpowder
>if the need arises, they're much harder to fire accurately in poor weather conditions (strong winds/rain)
>when all else fails, you can't stick a bayonet on it and stab a guy

It's not that I don't know anything about muskets, it's that you don't know anything about bows. You think every bow back then was made using modern materials and techniques?

A FUCKING LASER SWORD

Again, these are problems that can be ameliorated or eliminated by extensive training, or they just aren't a big deal. The point is it has been well documented that the pros could hit targets at much greater distances, much more rapidly than the best musket shooters, and they were more likely to kill what they hit.

the idea isn't that you can fight the empire by yourself. you just make the cost of sending their stormtroopers after you from almost nothing to "we might lose a guy or two"

you force the empire to make harder choices about how thoroughly they enforce their laws. rather than crack down on everything, they only move if they can afford to send overwhelming force.

in that space, you can organize a rebellion

>Ben Kenobi: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.
>Luke Skywalker: What is it?
>Ben Kenobi: Your father's canister of Zyklon B. This is the weapon of the white man. Not as clumsy or random as a nigger's gat; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Aryan Brotherhood were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Galactic Civil Rights Act.

>these are problems that can be ameliorated or eliminated by extensive training
That's not exactly a good thing. You're saying "But in perfect weather and atmospheric conditions, and with professional archers, and without any supply issues, then bows are simply better!" Well no fucking shit, you've created a hypothetical scenario just to make yourself look right. But the efficacy of a weapon is not solely decided by how it performs when conditions are at their best.

>The point is it has been well documented that the pros could hit targets at much greater distances, much more rapidly than the best musket shooters, and they were more likely to kill what they hit.
Judging weapons of warfare in the context of Olympic shooting events is a pretty dumb fucking way to do things.

Read a book, nigger.

>Yes, because brainlets think that a more "civilized age" actually existed in real life.
It did. It doesn't now.

If you don't want to accept this simple fact then maybe you're just the brainlet.

>It did

>Many human beings life a better life now than at any point in the history of the planet
>"Hurr why can't things go back to the way they used to be"

>less people are dying that means things are better!
>nevermind the fact that human decency, chivalry and self-respect are dead while degeneracy runs rampant and corporations control every aspect of human civilization
Really jogs the noggin.

Tell me the truth, you aren't white are you?

>specialized and esoteric weaponry that is pretty much useless in big battles wielded by an elite few is a really fucking bad idea
Remember that Jedi and Sith originally weren't supposed to be invincible supermen depicted in the PT.
That aside, the closest analogue to Jedi are perhaps Shaolin monks, who were at one point actually renowned as an elite force in the context of war, were certainly an "elite few" and did wield uncommon weaponry (iron staffs).
It didn't mean shit in the larger historical context.

>decency, chivalry and self-respect

I see plenty of those things every day, in the people around me. Try not living in a third world shit hole.

The point is that things like guns even the playing field between specialized military orders and the rest of the people. The Jedi rule of the Republic was overthrown because men with blasters were able to stop them - even though the clones were less lethal on an individual level, blasters allowed them to overcome the Jedi's advantages. Now imagine that scenario if the clones only had access to lightsabers.

At one point in history, trained fighters wearing suits of armor were pretty much invincible against regular peasant levies. It's very unlikely we'll ever see that scenario ever again, and that's a good thing.

>"I HAV COMPOTOR AND MEDICINE SO I LIV BETTER LYFE"
"We are living in the bestest age there has ever been" and "we are living in the most peaceful age ever" are both lies perpetrated by those who control the current system and will exclusively profit from it.
Not that previous ages were necessarily better.

Holy shit you actually are a brainlet

I'm not disputing that guns even the playing field. I'm saying that the retarded shit that wasn't part of the OT and that makes no sense is irrelevant to what Obi-Wan was saying.
Within the constraints of the OT, Jedi are just a relatively small group of monks that have a tendency to get violent, and they use close combat weapons that are a waste of time for others to handle.
>It's very unlikely we'll ever see that scenario ever again
Fine historical memery regarding how plate totally makes you unkillable, we're likely to see scenarios that will make that seem like a funny joke.

>Fine historical memery regarding how plate totally makes you unkillable
>historical fact is memery

Armored groups of mounted combatants, fighting alongside and supporting each other, were like fucking demigods to poorly trained conscripts. It'd be like a fucking SEAL team going up against against an Amazon tribe. Were weaponry and tactics developed to overcome them? Absolutely. But that's not what I've been talking about.

>we're likely to see scenarios that will make that seem like a funny joke.
Incredibly unlikely in our lifetime. If a level of personal protection is ever developed that can completely (or nearly so) protect against gunfire, then people will simply use bombs. If we're ever at the level where you can hit a guy with a bomb and he just laughs it off, then I'm gonna be wondering where I can sign up to become a Space Marine.