Fake news

movieweb.com/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-audience-score-fake-news/

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-negative-fan-reactions-rotten-tomatoes-score
cnet.com/news/last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-star-wars/
archive.is/OOrJR
deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>PEOPLE CAN'T HATE STAR WARS
>IT'S IMPOSSIBLE
>THESE ARE ALL TROLLS THEY HAVE TO BEEEEEEEEEE

could it be??? that the movie??? sucks???

I'm just waiting for a "The Russians did it" headline and we'll have hit the reality denier BINGO.

user, I...

No. They didnt.

READ THE ARTICLE. THEY ARE LITERALLY BLAMING Sup Forums FOR THIS.

It was a satire article.

>BUT IS HAS LIGHT SABRES AND STORM TROOPERS THAT MEANS IT'S GOOD

Yes yes, there's like eight threads about this exact fucking thing. Also 90% of the fucking board is Star Wars, you didn't need to make another thread.

Hi Kevin

Well ya... I mean... real sci-fi fans don't have a high threshold for quality.

HAVE YOU SEEN DR.WHO, STAR TREK, OR STAR WARS?

>vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-negative-fan-reactions-rotten-tomatoes-score

>First of all, it should be noted that the audience members most likely to run to Rotten Tomatoes to register their opinions are a very specific, very reactionary kind of fan. In the less self-selected CinemaScore—where general audiences are polled as they leave the theater—The Last Jedi scored an “A.” Yes, the very same as the well-liked Force Awakens. Furthermore, there’s someone on Facebook who claims to have maliciously and single-handedly manipulated the Rotten Tomatoes score in order to “keep it dropping.”

>Whether or not this claim is true (and there’s no way to verify at the moment), that Facebook post reveals how easy it might be for a vocal minority to manipulate a metric such as this and create a false narrative. Yes there is a ticked-off splinter of the Star Wars fandom angered by The Last Jedi. These MAGA-esque fanboys—the same that called Rey a “Mary Sue” or lost their marbles over the 2016 all-female Ghostbusters reboot before it even hit theaters—have been spreading their over-blown hatred all over social media. As you might imagine, these “fans”—who seem to take their cues from First Order supremacists Hux and Kylo rather than Resistance heroes Rey, Finn, and Poe—aren’t very comfortable with the film’s more progressive messages. These kinds of reactions are best ignored.

Here’s the main points the smug assholes are using:

>They’re just mad their theories didn’t “pan out”!
>They’re all Make America Great Again fanboys who love the First Order! And hate diversity!
>They’ll eventually come around to it! I’ve seen it about 3 times! I love it!
>Empire was divisive when it came out guys ha he ha!
>Russia!
>Bots!
>It’s a small group of angry men who skew the “narrative”! Cinemascore is way more reliable and critics know what’s best for everyone!
>Inclusion naturally frightens Star Wars fans who just wanted a Luke movie! Hahaha grow up manbabies!
>They’re trying to slander the good name of Rian Johnson and Disney and that’s bad booooo!

Vanity Fair and their ilk can fuck off. It’s a Star Wars film written by people who hate Star Wars and wanted to erase Mark Hamill as fast and embarassingly as possible. It’s an absurd pile of horseshit and all their evangelizing of the movie’s bullshit just shows how bribed and childish they are. Fucking corporate shitheads, nobody wanted this shit.

These are the same people who think Wonder Woman was better than Man of Steel.

>i dont like thing
>THING FAKE NEWS

Reactionary opinions are hate speech and fake news.

This “le Cinemascore” meme is such hot garbage. They’re one of the least reliable aggregators ever. For years they were shadowy and had 3 theatres they got scores from. Now, they seem to congregate in Los Angeles and seek out certain audiences. Hmm, maybe people elsewhere hate this movie?

Let's be honest. Only a Trump voter could hate Episode VIII

It's ridiculous to discredit negative reviews coming from a political angle when the film itself bears a political subtext.

Are you supposed to just ignore it and critique other elements about it? No. If there were reactionary or right-wing elements in a film it would definitely be critiqued on those grounds by the very same people.

Mark Hamill seems to hate it and has been taking pot shots for months now, is he a Trump voter?

What if you just hate the stupidity of script? What if you hate how they treated Luke, Phasma, Yoda, Snoke, etc?

Clintonistas aren’t even progressive, it’s amazing they’re still using that buzzword.

>NO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
>Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Or people who aren't overly sentimental manchildren.

>ad hominem
There are a lot of flaws with 8, not excluding Disney's political motivations being the thrust of this trilogy.

Rey is a Mary Sue. She has no flaws, is adored by everyone good and bad alike, is great at everything she does without trying and is 2-0 in duels with the most powerful Force user in the universe.

Smart people, yes.

>no one should care about or enjoy anything.

fpbp

cnet.com/news/last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-star-wars/
Last I checked, cnet isn't a satire site.

Wasn't Sup Forums

>"Yes, let the butthurt flow through you."

Today: Denial
Tomorrow: Anger

Well there's nothing wrong with how the movie treated those characters so I don't see why you're bringing them up.

Hi Disney

Rey will make a giant force clone of herself in episode 9 that will crush Kylo and critics will sing praises, feel free to screencap and cry in advance.

that was my reaction to disney buying the IP, now im just enjoying the ride.

>a quick glance at the Rotten Tomatoes user score shows something much different than what is shown in the Cinemascore rating
>Cinemascore
I'd have to Google this to know what it even is. Irrelevant sites are proof now?

Rey isn't even a Mary Sue, she's a personificated plot device, without her the whole rushed plot could have never existed. I've only seen VII but it felt like there were no real obstacles, it was you were on a rollercoaster ride.

*it was as if you were*

feminist shill

archive.is/OOrJR

It's movie polling. We all know how accurate 'random' polls are.

>polling from Vegas
>does things in LA
So they poll the most impressionable people on this planet?

Right, they totally predicted that landslide Hillary win and how hard Brexit lost.

She is both. From Wiki
>A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience.
She has no flaws. In all the shitposting about the sequels no one has yet pointed out a single negative character trait.

>anything that disagrees with my preferred perception of reality is "fake news"

"Oh this person dares to disagree with me so they must be a shill."

Get on my level.

Snoke is clearly being set up for a return by the post-death mind link between Rey and Kylo. To think otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

Phasma is a two-bit villain. Her comeback was just like Boba Fett's. If you read into it more that's on you.

Yoda was a cameo who didn't do anything objectionable considering his prior appearances.

> inb4 "pass on what you've learned"

Yes he does say that, and he wants Luke to pass on what he's learned. Not to pass on some old bibles. Just like in the prequels though, he's mistaken as Rey takes them possibly to start a new real Jedi Order. The books were still needed and only Rey could see that.

Luke is a broken character. Yes, he changed since last you saw him - and that should be understandable. One of the bigger issues with the prequels was how at the end of RotS there has to be a 30-year near-total time freeze for things to make sense. Obi-wan doesn't change (to the point of having patches on his burns from Mustafar). And at the end of it all he's still the white male hero, but he literally does nothing but appear to be the hero. It's all illusion.

The projection on people is inane.

>Disney obsesses over how everyone supposedly hates the prequels to the point of copypasting the OT
>never mention the prequels ever again out of fear of being associated
>make a movie that people hate as much as the prequels for different reasons
>refuse to accept it entirely and pay millions to damage control and hide negative opinions

The irony is too much.

Disney is stretching themselves too thin. Writing in nearly all their live action properties is suffering. They're gonna need to rest some franchises and regroup themselves if they're gonna leave anything left of the stories we love.

She isn't a Mary Sue, she severely lacks the character to even be considered a Mary Sue. They could've muffled her voice and pixelated her face for the audience and it wouldn't have changed the movie; her only trait is she managed to give a meager explanation as to why it is possible to stampede through the story at a ridiculous speed as if she was a chinese tourguide in an amusement park.

> no one has yet pointed out a single negative character trait.
She's too cool for school, wait I don't think that counts.
Let me get back to you.

>Luke is a broken
A big part of why people who dislike this film dislike it. Luke was a hero for many fans that grew up with Star Wars. And Luke didn’t have to be broken. I’ll repeat LUKE DIDNT HAVE TO BE BROKEN. Yes, him being broken in the context of the story makes sense, but Kennedy and Rian clearly decided to have him be broken in the first place. This was not a direction they had to go in, but one they those. And realizing that, chances are fans of Luke are going to be mad. Hamil clearly was.

Why are these retards calling this "fishy" and "fake news" for there being a disparaging score on RT when there are literally hundreds of other examples showing the exact same fucking thing with other movies?

Disney trying to keep the hype alive on their biggest film of the year. Corporations gonna Corp.

Not everything is made for you, my boy. I'm sorry you didn't like it - and for what it's worth I miss Luke's "happy ending" from 6. But these worlds live outside of us, and not everything can go as we hope. That's part of being mature.

>sweetie-posting
passive-aggressive faggot

I didn't say sweetie. And I don't think "my boy" is anywhere neat comparable.

In any case you can argue the points if you want to make a point. Otherwise you're just trolling.

Merry Fishmas

I can't wait for this to come to a head.

Most major 'nerd culture' YouTube channels hate the movie and/or give it scathing reviews and almost every single one of them are extremely outspoken SJWs...

Meanwhile, Disney is trying to spin all the hate as alt right, racist, Nazi, trolls, etc...

Dis gun be good.

You made no points and ignored the ones in the post you replied to.
>not everything can go as we hope
wow so deep. How about why did Luke have to become a bitter, jaded old man in the first place? How is that in keeping with his character arc from the OT at all? What was the point of his character arc in the OT since in the sequels it's like it never happened? Saying 'not everything is made for you' is not a valid response.

No shit it’s not made for me. But I also don’t have to like and it’s well in my right post a negative review (I didn’t enjoy it) or criticize it. Movies are for entertaining sweetie.

Who were the sequels made for? Certainly not fans of Luke Skywalker, not for fans of the originals or the prequels.

>not everything can go as we hope
If that were the case, then Rey could be shot with a stray laser shot in the next movie 15 minutes in and die in an unceremonious fashion as the Star Wars universe carries on.

But that would make you upset, right? Maybe that one wasn't made for you.

I voted trump and loved tlj.
Best movie since justice league.

>You made no points and ignored the ones in the post you replied to.
Hmm. The post I replied to mostly just seemed upset that the written world of Star Wars didn't match their headcanon version, and I didn't see any discrete points past that.

>Saying 'not everything is made for you' is not a valid response.

Fair. So let me put it this way: Why would we expect characters to be exactly like they are 30 years prior? Can anything in the originals tell us that they've been properly cared for and protected from unexpected circumstances since then? I for one can not think of any. In fact the originals made it clear that the unexpected would come next. The fall of the empire, the rise of a new Jedi Order, the romance between Leia and Han... Their world was changing. It only makes sense that many, if not all, things would change dramatically over the next 30 years. Luke was just a case of that.

Star Wars fans who can think.
It would make me sad, as did the course turn for Luke. But I would understand it as the writers are helming the series, not me.

>movieweb.com

well if a well known and big site like movieweb says so it must be true

So is this a part time or full time gig at Disney?

>congregate in Los Angeles
umm
>Thirty-five to 45 teams of CinemaScore representatives are present in 25 large cities across North America. Each Friday, representatives in five randomly chosen cities give opening-day audiences a small survey card

when did googling become so hard? are you confusing Cinemascore with other market research firms that recruit audiences for test screenings etc?

or maybe their social justice wars is a shitty movie and people are sick of shitty movies being made

>smugness
>passive-agressive
>later on proceed to post massive TLJ defense copypasta
Yup! this is your typical liberal disney shill here alright!

You failed to address any points again. I'll repeat them for you.
>why did Luke have to become a bitter, jaded old man in the first place?
>How is that in keeping with his character arc from the OT at all?
>What was the point of his character arc in the OT since in the sequels it's like it never happened?

You don’t know for sure that Snoke’s coming back. Phasma didn’t have to be a two-bit villain. Yoda used a force power that made no sense, spoke like a retard and gave a speech about Rey that is not borne out by evidence. Luke was a genuinely good person and was the only one who could bring down the Empire. His articulation of Jedi ideals and love of his father won out. Disney wrote him into being a coward, a wanna-be murderer, and a failure. That arc sucked and shows how little Disney understands him.

Get on our level, shill little bitch.

FUCKING RUSSIASN

Please hold. Your response takes a moment and I'm being lit up but I want you to know I'm replying.

>analyzing a product you don't even enjoy this much
You're obsessed. Anything they shit out you'll be discussing for months. How are you this ignorant of your own consumerist attitude?

If we took Cinemascore seriously then Hillary was a shoo-in for the White House.

If you wanted things to have changed in 30 years you went into the wrong trilogy.
It’s Empire vs Resistance all over again, with both films reusing a ton of tropes and set pieces from the OT. Luke was changed to fit the role of Yoda/Obi-wan and to make way for Luke 2.0 in the form of Rey. Anything interesting that could have followed events of RotJ was thrown out the window in order to, I assume, fulfil Kennedy’s self-insert dreams and make Disney bank by avoiding risk like the prequels took.

how sneed was this movie from sneed to SNEEEEEEEED ?

So approximately 50% of the population then?

>obsessed
>consumerist
It’s too bad nobody can actually shitpost anymore

Then its confirmed done by disney to keep people talking about it after this weekend
They did the same thing when TFA released(#boycottepisode7). it wasn't us, Sup Forums or even Sup Forums

>>later on proceed to post massive TLJ defense copypasta

Now see here. Nothing of what I posted is copypasta in any way. I'm typing every character by hand.

I am sorry if my responses appear smug but I assure you I'm only trying to be direct.

Please hold. I'll reply to you and at the same time because I'm being lit up.

Starwars subreddit just announced they will remove any posts that are negative about the movie

>any reposts will be removed, such as "why I hate this movie," etc. and the like.

>it stabilizes
>40k more votes and still 56%
I think more than 40% of the people aren't actually liking it.

I dislike Donald Trump and the alt right, am generally liberal, and yet I still hate nu-SW. It's ok for fans to be mad about a continuation of a series that ruins what came before it.

Any movie that fails to capitalize on shit like this just to fuck with "white males" is actively trying to upset people.

What pisses me off is that they use our tactics now. But they don't genuinely say: Fake News. They just copy our tactics.

Deadline also looked into this and had similar findings as movieweb.

deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

>In fact, one Facebook user with the page “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and Fanboys” is laying claim to creating bot accounts that are hacking into the Rotten Tomatoes user score for Last Jedi.

Well, it's the verificationist trap: the original movies were successful and well-liked, so we just need to recreate them. The problem is, it's not obvious what made the original movies good, in a way that can be replicated by a committee of screenwriters. But this is the basic problem with commodifying entertainment.

>It's 2017 and troll culture is very much a part of everyday life on the internet, but nowhere is that more apparent than the infamous website Sup Forums
>Anonymous users on the forum-like site have admitted to making multiple "burner" accounts to give The Last Jedi a bad score on Rotten Tomatoes in an effort to anger Star Wars fans
lel

>Update Dec 17, 5:15 PST – On diving into a comparison between rate of reviews on other current releases and recent blockbusters, we noted a few abnormalities. For instance in The Shape of Water, there are a number of audience reviews where the review copy is for Last Jedi, not Shape of Water. This only lasted for a relatively brief time, but over a span of several users. It reads as if someone might have misconfigured a bot.

Thank you, both for waiting and listing out the discrete points. Makes it easier for both of us IMO.

>why did Luke have to become a bitter, jaded old man in the first place?
The question isn't why but how. 30 years is a long time and a lot of things can happen. The movie explains that Luke's failure in training Kylo Ren drove him to exile (similar to Yoda in Episode III) and frustration with himself drove him to what he is now. If you truly want to know, in a cosmic sense, "why" it happened... you'd have to speak with the writers directly.

>How is that in keeping with his character arc from the OT at all?
It keeps perfectly with his arc. Because 6 concluded that character arc, and his life moved on into the next arc, which we are seeing the results of in TLJ. Again, I don't see why a reasonable audience member would expect Luke to be the same person after 30 years.

>What was the point of his character arc in the OT since in the sequels it's like it never happened?

It's not that it's like it never happened, it's that the world has moved on. Yoda acted like his fight with Palpatine in RotS never happened. It's a similar case in TLJ. Those events are so far in Luke's past that they aren't immediately relevant. His life went down a less-than-optimal path, it's unfortunate but what can we do.

>You don’t know for sure that Snoke’s coming back.

Correct. I'm basing it on the mind link that happened post snokes death. It could be another dark force causing the link or snoke lied, or other things. However, because the possibility exists and seems intentional we can't omit the possibility that Snoke is down and out until IX is released.

>Phasma didn’t have to be a two-bit villain.
"Didn't have to be"? Can you explain this further? Neither did Boba Fett but he got burped out of existence.

This reply is at character limit please hold, thank you.

great movie
loved cinemassacre's analysis of it

>when you're false flagging this hard

Is that really how reddit works?

>(similar to Yoda in Episode III)
Yoda went into hiding because there's a Galactic Empire that wants him dead. He could see the writing on the wall, particularly after he attacked Sheev and lost.

That was from bleedingcool.com for those who care about the source. The fact that shape of water got briefly flooded with negative TFA reviews is pretty telling.

The only way to get reasonable user scores is to only allow verified accounts older than 30 days to do reviews on those sites. Newly created accounts don't get their review counted until they pass probation period.

>The problem is, it's not obvious what made the original movies good, in a way that can be replicated by a committee of screenwriters.
If it isn't obvious to them they must be collectively dumber than Mike Stoklasa because he fucking comprehended it.

Yoda used a force power that made no sense, spoke like a retard and gave a speech about Rey that is not borne out by evidence.

Force ghosts have referred to interaction with the material world before. Obi-Wan specifically does this in ESB mentioning he can't interfere with Luke's confrontation with Vader. While most assumed this was because he was a ghost it didn't actually state that as the limitation. In fact, him stating that implies that in other circumstances he could interfere.

He spoke the same as he does in the other movies. I would concede that it felt "off".

As for the speech... I'd need to ask you to elaborate. I seem to recall him mostly saying she doesn't need the info in the books.

> Luke was a genuinely good person and was the only one who could bring down the Empire. His articulation of Jedi ideals and love of his father won out. Disney wrote him into being a coward, a wanna-be murderer, and a failure. That arc sucked and shows how little Disney understands him.

As I have already explained, Luke has changed over the 30-some years between the stories. It wasn't a time lock like between RotS and ANH. I don't understand why people think he'd remain the same.

I can reply to you specifically if you'd like but I think my previous comments about a 30 year gap cover things.

He specifically says "into exile, I must go. Failed, I have."