Why do people use him as a positive example when comparing ghostbusters '84 and '16

He was a stupid, pointless character, does nothing or says anything funny. he wasn't even a scientist so what was even the point of him being there?

>muh black woman stereotype in 2016
Leslie jones' character was shit but at least she stood out, ernie hudson was even fucking cropped out when ghostbusters (84) came out he might as well have been a diversity quota and before you get angry at that statement you can prove me wrong if you can tell me more memorable roles in what ernie hudson played in other movies (hard mode: WITHOUT looking up on wikipedia).

>inb4 sjw/sony shill
I hate ghostbusters as a whole equally. The whole 'sexism' controversy from everybody last year was almost as retarded as the whole fucking franchise.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iK6hI423gcw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Venkman wasn't a scientist either.

The whole point of him was that he was just a guy looking for a job, not a scientist

>reeeeeee black people

Fuck off, Winston is great. The guy just needed a steady paycheck.

Winston is my favorite Ghostbuster. He's just there for a paycheck and he is completely out of his depth. Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler all have some background in paranormal shit, but Winston was just answering a Help Wanted ad. Stupid and pointless? Hardly. He was us. He was every regular person who had to deal with ghosts, except he actually had the tools to fight back.

Doesn't say anything funny? Low rate bait. He's the ultimate straight man. The others are made funnier simply because Winston is the grounded one.

What other roles has Ernie Hudson had? Off the top of my head, he was Officer Albrecht (spelling may be off) in "The Crow."

he had a phd in psychology and parapsychology so still a scientist and besides that he had more of a presence throughout the whole movie and then winston just appears until so much later in the movie and has done nothing even remotely memorable.

>you can prove me wrong if you can tell me more memorable roles in what ernie hudson played in other movies

He played the "Great white hunter. Only I'm black." in Congo, Munro Kelly. And while the other ghostbusters were scientists, even Venkman, they were all just looking for a job when the university kicked them out. That was the point of becoming paranormal exterminators in the first place.

Winston even fitted in well since he tended to keep his cool better than Venkman, and yet was erudite enough to talk biblical with Ray. That mostly meant he fell into the background, but he had a number of key comedic points with the ghost train and his memorable line with the Mayor. "I have seen shit that will turn you WHITE".

He may not have been as big a role as Venkman, or even Louis Tulley, but damn it, it was an ensemble movie and he was ensembled!

He's just there for a paycheck. He is based black man am I right pedes?

He was a literal huckster. Quit backpedaling.

this guy gets it

>When someone asks you if you're a god, you say, "YES!"

That line wasn't funny? Fuck you.

>prove me wrong if you can tell me more memorable roles in what ernie hudson played in other movies (hard mode: WITHOUT looking up on wikipedia).
Congo
and Miss Congeniality

>not understanding the point of Winston

Peter was the con man.
Ray was the goofball.
Egon was the dork.
Winston was the hardworking every man.

He was the sanest and most well adjusted of all of them.

He's more of a game show host.

>Congo
Damn it. Now I have that line from the other black guy stuck in my head.

STOP. EATING. MY SESAME CAKE!

He wasnt cropped out, he only came in half way through the film so he wasnt on the poster you fucking mong

>He's the ultimate straight man.
This. His character works just fine.

Oz Warden

>Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler
>not also fairly out of their depth
Winston seems to be the one with the best head on his shoulders facing this crazy out of this world shit. And I say that as someone who likes Venkman best, even if he's more of a Spengler. Uh. Hopefully not more of a Louis.

I agree. Ghostbusters was never good and Bill Murray is an overrated faggot actor.

My favorite part of the movie was him talking to Ray about the end of the world.
He broughta more human outlook to the table.

They at least had tools that they could use to fight anything paranormal. That's why I didn't consider them to be out of their depth. Sure they're muddling through it and figuring everything out as they go along, but they had a little bit of preparation and experience by the time Winston came along.

Winston is the McCoy of Ghostbusters.

>He played the "Great white hunter. Only I'm black." in Congo
Underrated

retard in the hand that rocks the cradle

Crank up that radio and stop talking.

People who identified themselves too much with Egon and Ray tend to have that problem. They tend to look down upon working men.

You don't understand, they were the 'wacky scientists' and he was 'the real nigga'.

He was the prognostic you fucking special snowflake retard

I think you wrongly valued theoretical knowledge over practical experience, at least in this film

>Winston is my favorite Ghostbuster
cool, I still have no recollection of anything he does though or really anything he does as important. I have no doubt that the 'straight' man can be one of the best parts of a comedy routine but he was just so fucking BLAND. It was obvious that the producers or the directors didn't think that either because they had cropped out his character. Leslie jones' character was pure shit where Ernie hudsons' was just nothing.

wasn't backpedaling, the point was that he was more of a prevalent, memorable character than fucking winston was.

>everybody citing me characters from really niche movies he played in
that kind of enhances my point, I mean there is a reason why he desperately wants to be a ghostbusters again. Granted though the only other movie I have seen him in was in dragonball evolution which isn't exactly a point in his favor.

>special snowflake retard
There it is...
>He was the prognostic
wait when the fuck was that established?

yeah he literally does nothing for the story
it was supposed to be a bigger funnier part for eddie murphy, but when they couldn't get him they left the character in for some reason

You asked for examples of his other roles without looking him up and I gave you one (his role in The Crow, hardly a niche movie, and his character was one of the secondary protagonists). You can't suddenly dismiss the fact that people are giving you roles that he performed just because it goes against your preformed conclusions about the man. If you do look up his resume list, he's been a consistent and busy actor for over 30 years. So what if he's not an A-lister, iconic, or have some noticeable quirk? He's a character actor. When he's in a role, you don't think, "Oh that's Ernie Hudson pretending to be a ....." You see the character, not the performer.

>He was a stupid, pointless character, does nothing or says anything funny.

Because they couldn't get Eddie Murphy.

>After working with him the previous year on Trading Places, Dan Aykroyd originally wanted Eddie Murphy to play the role of Winston Zeddemore. Aware of his comic abilities, his characterization of Winston would have been in a semi-improvisational style, similar to Bill Murray's performance as Peter Venkman. Murphy was too busy shooting Beverly Hills Cop to commit

Winston is the audience self-insert.
He's an everyman who shares the audience's ignorance AND curiosity with all this crazy made-up ghost stuff.

So Egon explains it to him and consequently us.

>i dont like him therefor no one else does

tfw you wanted to be Peter, but identified more with Egon

I identified more with Louis. I couldn't get the girl, but in a crazy night where we were both out of character I banged her, and she denies it to this day.

He was fucking great as Rolle (pronounced Ro-ley) in The Substitute. You don't get to see evil Ernie all that often.

Because of this scene. youtube.com/watch?v=iK6hI423gcw

Winston was next-level comfy. He played the perfect "straight man" to all of the oddballs in the film.

His character was written for Eddie Murphy, but he had a scheduling conflict unfortunately.

unlike leaslie jones "character" he wasnt a glearing ugly stereotype in a movie which was suppose to be a progressive
if anything winston is the lest stereotyped character in the movie
also op do the world a favour and fall down a deep dark hole