I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean...

>I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

Was he right?

Yes.

Well keep in mind that he made this quote before the wave of over-saturation of comic book media made superheroes conventionally popular again. Now the audience is mostly immature and dim-witted 20-somethings.

Yes, and that's why you should be reading manga if you're interested in the true spirit of cartoons and comic books.

Not really, it's actually kind of hypocritical when you consider his career

He's a hack and the older guys weren't the ones coined graphic novels, but he's right about everything else

Graphic novel IS kind of a dumb term.

He's a twat but he's got a point

>They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience.
Because it was at a time when there was basically nothing else besides regular books. But the world has moved on. Peoples' imaginations are captured and expanded by so many other things now, good or bad. Comics, especially capecomics, don't have the same niche they once had.

>He's a hack
You're an idiot. Saying this about Moore instantly devalues any opinion you have on comics.

This is mostly true.

yes

I don't think he's entirely wrong but I don't think liking comics means there is something wrong with you emotionally. I mean yeah there are people who have problems that obsess over comic books, but you can be perfectly normal and emotionally stable and enjoy them. It's like saying there is something wrong with me because I like Pixar movies. Yeah they are marketed for kids, does that mean no one else can enjoy them? I think that's kind of stupid.

I think the first sentence is usually what people take out of context. Considering that Moore had written superheroes for most of his career, I don't think his point is "superheroes are bad" but rather "the obsession with these ridiculously old superheroes is bad."

Pretty much all superheroes/supervillains from the Big 2 that still exist do so not because they're great sellers, not because their stories are particularly new or fresh, but because Average Comic Reader from Nonamesville can't imagine the character/series not existing.

Moore really isn't disagreeing with the Sup Forums consensus in that regard: capeshit is both holding back the comic industry and the only thing keeping it alive. Take that genre away and there'd be a real sink-or-swim moment within the industry, where hopefully something better would take its place.

To be fair the industry, and the big 2 in particular, have made efforts to move on in the past, but the fans wouldn't stand for it. They've tried replacing or removing characters to make room for new ones, and the spergs couldn't handle it. Since they make their money off of the spergs they'll keep going until the well runs dry, and then their companies will fail.

When I see this, I always think it's ironic, because Moore was the one who helped created the adult appeal for comics in the first place. If you read his quote, he says that that comics should be for kids 9-13. If that's true, then what audience was he writing Watchmen for? You can't fully appreciate it as a kid, beyond thinking that Rorshach is cool or whatever. If anyone's guilty creating an adult audience, it's Alan Moore.

Watchmen in many ways is a parody/criticism of adult hero worship

I'm guessing he already held these ideals when he wrote watchmen

Him along with Frank Miller.

He's not talking about comics, just superheroes. Watchmen was his way of saying that capes are basically kids stuff and don't work in more serious setting.
That said, he was wrong for basically the reason you outlined. Rorschach, for example, was supposed to be an unlikeable character to help prove Moore's point, yet people loved him and Watchmen is seen as one of the best cape stories told.

Alan Moore's just angry because he's a poor man's Grant Morrison.

Anime is weeb shit. Even then he is saying you shouldn't read any comics past 13, manga as well. Yet he worked on comics.

Totally retarded mindsets. He reminds me of them elitist wannabe guys, yet always contridict himself.

Seeing how the Big 2 are nowadays, Marvel more so, I'm going to say he's right.

No, he's just a hipster.

>"Comics should fun and goofy!"

>Comics become fun and goofy.

>"Comics should be grim dark!"

>Comics becoming grim dark

The only reason he's upset is because super heroes are what's popular right now. If westerners or sci-fi is what was popular, he'd be bitching about that.

For the last time, yes.

Old man yells at cloud.

Dude, Moore's a one trick pony, there's no way around it.

EVERY Moore quote that gets posted here is out of context. If you listen to him talk live, he's clearly being sardonic when he says these things.

Moore quotes are the perfect bait material because he has an extremely dry sense of humor.

Why do retards call superhero shit "cape shit" when not all of them wear capes? Captain America back when WWII was still going on didn't wear a cape, Iron Man as a giant silver dildo didn't wear a cape.

Without his super hero comics he wouldn't be able to have had this quoted and mean anything, he'd have been some old guy ranting. But he's an old guy ranting who wrote some slightly popular cape comics. So, yeah, he should be greatful, if he didn't like the fans he should have quite writing ages ago.

Because Superman is the first super hero you dense retard.

I'm honestly not quite sure I understand what his point here is. I assume this is lacking some important context. Is he saying superheroes are too chidish or not childish enough?

Yes

oh, shut up

Not true, he'd be ranting about whatever else was popular. His frame of thinking can be applied to literally any genre besides non-fiction.

fact check just to be sure though

This.

In fact this goes for most of the brit-wave. I respect the quality of their stuff, but it's literally ALL CRITIQUE.

If these authors were capable of making their own shit they would, instead they re-tread edgy anti-superhero deconstructions almost all their careers.

At the end of the day without capeshit most of these authors would be fairly average. Most of their works rely on the existence of what they hate. Their creativity relies on it.

Huh, I'll be damned. He wasn't. This guy was.

user didn't even say anime. You're incredibly retarded if you think comics from Japan have nothing to offer.

This just isn't true. You want to explain that one?

>I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations.

That's probably a dry joke

I agree that the idea of using graphic novel to validate one's tastes is childish, it reflects insecurity. Ultimately, comics are comics, there is no shame in naming them as such.

>They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them.

This is where I disagree. It advocates to the stagnation of the genre. Different writing styles should be promoted, and then let the audience decide what works. If he's serious, then the hypocrisy is just dumfounding, since experimental, mature stuff is what he always does.

A really well done parody and criticism, with near universal praise. If anything the existance of watchmen presents a good point when it comes to defending more mature settings for superhero stories.

That's not Beowulf.

>What is Gilgamesh

>I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

>Was he right?
Yes and no. Mostly no. Sorry, Alan. You're a genius but you're a grumpy cunt and the level of butthurt you exhibit towards the mainstream comic book industry colors your words.

Comics have gotten increasingly better written (overall) since their inception. This was in direct correlation with the age of the audience until the medium outlived its progenitors.

But I am a superhero-addicted manchild so what do I know?

He's saying that the framework of comic stories are largely un-reachable for children.

You think a 9 year old has the means or even wants to follow an arc for 6 months with about 20 pages a week, for however much that costs, when he could be doing literally antyhing else?

Moore grew up with Kirby, when it was cheap, colourful, short and sweet. I agree with him on this part.

When I go into a comic shop at my age (late teens) and can't find a superman comic because I wasn't on the pull list and the shop only ordered a small amount, imagine for kids.

The medium is almost against kids reading it, in a way. Only time I ever see kids reading comics or at comic shops are on free comic book day when, surprise surprise, the comics are self-contained, goofy, and cheap (free in this case.)

>Neonomicon exist

20 pages a month*

>I hate religions. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, religious books think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term holy book. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of god or son of god without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the religious-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

>He's a hack
Fucking kill yourself, my dude.

This is a good point, and part of the reason I feel creepy going into my local comics shop sometimes. It feels like I'm retreating from the real world into an off-putting bastion of weirdness designed to "keep the normals out".
I would like it if comic book shops were more for everyone that just the overweight fedora stereotypes.

what did he mean by this

So this is a kids book?
There is more than super hero graphic novels.

Forgot the pic

Maybe the bible was just stories for kids to learn the rules of their society?

>implying this statement doesn't apply to manga too

The majority of the 'totally deep for serious' shit that people screech about in the manga world is aimed at that nine to thirteen year old audience, fourteen to sixteen audience at best. I read and enjoy manga but it's the exact same shit with a different wrapper.

Moore is literally the men he is criticizing.

He sought to attach "adult" notions to comics for the same reason those people use the term "graphic novel".

> Don't work in serious setting
> He put them in a serious setting

>They don't mean what they used to mean.
What? Is this supposed to be witty?

I want a Spring Heeled Jack movie.

>I hate movies. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of directors who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, studio executives think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term kino. These watchers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Walter White or Jon Snow without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the movie-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

I hate Mythology. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of storytellers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, mytholgies think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term mythologic prosa. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Ulysses or Hercules without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the myth-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

Is this the Sup Forums version of the beatles pasta?

What's the beatles pasta?

My god, he talks like a supervillain.

>muh false equivalency
Hell VIDEO GAMES have made more progress towards having artistic than Comic Books have. That's how pathetic your industry is.

I agree but would place more blame for capes being the way they are on the IP owners than on the fans.

Capes are shit because they're just a brand now. The people who own these brands aren't interested in telling interesting stories, they're interested in building brand awareness and selling consumer goods. Hell, they're not really interested in telling stories as we know them at all because stories have a beginning, middle and an end. Capeshit never ends. The hero never dies or finds a conclusive ending to their story. The beginnings keep being changed. It's rare for them to age. The villains keep being resurrected for them to fight again and again. They're just stuck in an eternal limbo of mindless entertainment. They are the soap-operas of the comics world, and have exactly as much artistic value as the average soap opera.

That's not to say certain stand alone cape stories can't be good but the limitations of the genre, of having to use established characters and everything ultimately having to revert to the status quo are stifling. Because there's too much PROFIT in it to ever end their stories in a satisfying manner.

>>I hate natur spirits. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of shamans who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, fables think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term fairytale. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of crow spirits or wolfkins without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the fairytale-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

How many 9-13 year olds can pay the sticker price these days?

>I don't think he's entirely wrong but I don't think liking comics means there is something wrong with you emotionally. I mean yeah there are people who have problems that obsess over comic books, but you can be perfectly normal and emotionally stable and enjoy them. It's like saying there is something wrong with me because I like Pixar movies. Yeah they are marketed for kids, does that mean no one else can enjoy them? I think that's kind of stupid.

He is entirely wrong, people obsess over the stupidest shit all over the world. For instance golf, golf is retarded, unworthy of any attention and yet because rich people play it to set themselves apart from the plebs its regarded as acceptable in society.

Everything is stupid, cultural acceptability isn't something you should give one shit about unless you're manipulating your way into something you wan.

>I hate videogames. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of developers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, game studios think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term cinematic experience. These gamers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Mario or Master Chief without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the videogame-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

>I hate fantasy. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of authors who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, fantasy novels think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term high fantasy. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of orcs or elves without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the troll-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

Thats right. Now i cant unread it in a Dr. Doom voice.

>I hate waifus. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of animators who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, waifu anime think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term 2D. These otaku latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Kirino or Yoko Littner without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the waifu-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

DC Rebirth.

No idea who the OP is, but he looks like a supervillain, so his hatred of superheroes does not surprise me.

lol

>I hate pornos. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their 18- to 25-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, porn producers think the audience is certainly not 18 to 25, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term 'adult entertainment'. These viewers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Tori Black or 'Allysin Chaynes' without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant "rump" of the porn-addicted, orgasm-addicted audience.

>The entire DC universe finally fights Doctor Manhattan, who talks entirely in bitter Alan Moore quotes the whole time.

Now that would be an event!

Yeah, but don't worry.

There's that guy called Morrison who's totally a good guy and fights the supervillain in the OP. Support him and we'll be fine.

He's a retired mall santa renowned for his opinions on the comic book industry.

>"rump"

That's a subtle touch

>2017
>reading comics instead of manga

>I hate cartoons. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of animators who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, artists think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term CGI animation. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Bugs Bunny or Micky Mouse without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the toon-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.

kek

>people who like superheroes are mentally ill
>lemme start my own snake cult

>implying there's any difference between the two
top zozzle.

manga are worth reading

comics are not

Don't you have a dakimakura to hug, you pathetic little shit?

>I hate war. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of leaders who would actively expand the honor of their 16- to 20-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, the army thinks the soldier is certainly not 16 to 20, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term modern warfare. These generals latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of bodycount or bloodlust without appearing on the field in some way emotionally cowardly. This is a significant rump of the kill-addicted, technic-addicted audience.

>There's that guy called Morrison who's totally a good guy

teddy was a fucking warmonger, user

>I blame oversized government; that's why I quit politics.

>completely misses the point

user...

But he was not sitting in a chair with a joystick in his hand or a tank with gps guided missiles.

I don't think that weirdo seriously (the pot calling the kettle black). He's succesful thanks to superheroes.

think*

take

Alan Moore is almost always right. And Sup Forums hates him for speaking the truth and disagreements will almost exclusively use ad hominem as their counter point.

teddy wouldve loved cowadooty. war was nothing more than a game to him in the first place, like wrestling with your brother. only at the expensive of the lives of others. shame he didnt realize that until wagering one of his children's lives in it in his old age and breaking his mind because of that

he should not be idolized

>judging the sum of one's life from one mistake

Correct.

>I hate science fiction. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of visionaries who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, science fiction think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term Sci-Fi. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of droids or lasers without appearing in some way emotionally childish. This is a significant rump of the science fiction-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience.