So............ was Rey a Mary Sue or not?

So............ was Rey a Mary Sue or not?

really GREAT THREAD OP.

I don't want to see her get hurt, though.

She was in the first one. In this one she didn't do anything. She was just there.

Anakin was the chosen one and still had to train since he was like 8 or whatever he was.

So she is just like the OMEGA chosen one. Get over it.

>beat up Luke Skywalker
>learn everything that is to learn in one day
>lift tons of rocks

She's an even bigger Mary Sue now.

No she was a Harry Pu

This she is fucking Jesus now

Depends if Kathleen Kennedy created her than yes, if not she's just a boring character

>Can fight better than trained people
>Can speak multiple languages
>Can use the force better than anyone before with less training
>Can wield a light saber better than trained people
>Can fly spaceships despite never leaving her home planet
>Loved by all other characters even those that just met/never met her
>Can swim despite growing up on desert planet

Shes not a Mary Sue. Just a well written strong female character. Work for all those things? How will little girls learn to be spoiled princesses that demand things without being willing to work for them?

Even bigger chosen one.

>This she is fucking Jesus now
She fucks Jesus in this? Christ, that is a new low.

Yes and they made sure to double down on this in TLJ

>Mastered the lightsaber in 3 minutes
>Saved Kylo from dying at the hands of a pretorian guard

Also, how the fuck did she teleport back to the Millenium Falcon?

No, she is a Mary Suewalker

>Spend 18 hours with Luke
>Is now considered a Jedi
Yes she is

>”they perfectly addressed and dismissed perceptions of her being a Mary Sue in this latest installment as she is overpowered by Snoke”

were the other 38 star wars threads not enough? We needed a 39th? this reddit transition board is so shit

>her wielding of space magic is too powerful for my liking, she's unrealistic!
kill yourselves

Luke spent years training his jedi skills, including getting real lessons from the best jedi teacher, and still got completely BTFO when he went to fight the villain for the first time.

>Also, how the fuck did she teleport back to the Millenium Falcon?

Thought the same thing the 1st time. When I saw the movie yesterday I noticed she told Chewie to stay hidden and get her at her signal before using the scape pod.

Admit it, if Rey was a man you wouldn't even care.
Chekm8 fags

Normally if a character overpowers everything, specially someone who trained with Luke himself and was hand picked by the Emperor himself and trained over the span of years, with less than a day of training it is not considered a good written character.

I guess technically no since Snoke got Luke's location from her. But her existence, as Snoke tells it, completely shits on Star Wars mythos. The force doesn't "create balance" by copypastaing somebody who went bad with a good version. There was no "good side Anakin" when he became Vader.

why do you idiots keep comparing her to luke like it's american ninja warrior or ufc? it literally doesn't matter. the force is MAGIC. ok? SPACE MAGIC.

Yes. I really don't want to type up a storm but she still is.

I was actually amazed Snoke wanted to kill her instead of trying to turn her. It felt so weird, like you got this potential powerful apprentice and you're just going to waste her and keep using the emofag.
Compare to Sheev that was constantly putting potential replacements against his apprentices.

Space Magic which needs to be trained. That's why the Jedi even existed in the first place. That's why Masters existed. There is no excuse to just learn it in a few hours.

She isn't, but she's ridiculously bland and lacks character. Seriously, I don't even know how to describe her personality. She's just there.

>Space Magic which needs to be trained.
*record scratch* nope, you're wrong. there you go talking retarded again.

They will reveal in the next movie the reason whe could read/control minds, levitate rocks and being good at anything it's because she was born from fucking nothing and she's a Phoenix User. That is the reason why Disney bought Fox/The X-Men rights.

This post reeks of reddit

>*record scratch*
You need to leave

DJ BRING THAT BEAT BACK
s-s-s-s-s-suck it

Nice argument faggot

She barely survived the pretorian guard.
I don't think she beat Luke. It seemed more like he wasn't even trying.

She wasn't in "the force awakens" but she is now.

All she got was a little scratch and she was the one to save Kylo. She defeated every one who fought her.

so she has to get btfo and lose multiple fights in order to not be considered a mary sue? is that really the criteria? do you know how many movies have characters that would be considered mary sues if you held all of them to the same standard as you do rey? it's ridiculous. she's the hero of the damn movie.

False, it could be a flamboyant beaner in her place and I would still hate the character. Her being a woman has nothing to do with it. Her whole persona and suddenly being the best at everything is annoying.

If you think winning fights are the only reason you're retarded

there's really no use arguing, you fags just backpedal and will never concede that it's space magic and heightened reality and leave it at that.

She didn't just >barely survived. The issue for me is that she could have soloed them should the plot require so.

>an swim despite growing up on desert planet
Despite everything else, for me this is the biggest oversight. It's just such a mundane thing to get wrong, it's hilarious.

>I dont have an argument, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM
Pathetic

The problem is that Rey exists in a universe with established rules. Every other character we've seen in the SW movies takes a much longer time to understand how the force works. Luke didn't really get good at it until his third movie.

>But Anakin was able to fly up a starfighter as a little kid!

Yeah, and that's something that everybody hated about the Phantom Menace.

Is swimming that hard? I don't remember ever learning how to swim. It's just a thing you naturally do in water.

I believe the movies would have been better if they covered years in-story. A struggle for survival of the resistance while Rey got trained would have been a better story than Local Girl Saves Everything. Episode 7 and 8 were what, a week?

>Can swim despite growing up on desert planet
I never thought about this until I read that. Fuck you too, Disney.

VII is a two to three days at most
VIII is like 18 hours

I'll go with the excuse of her being so powerful is to balance Kylo. Even if you ignore her powers she's a flat character with no personality.

>they couldnt get a better looking actress? like mammario?

Sup Forums STATUS: BTFO

Marey Sue

Every other character with the potential for space magic has to train to be able to use it competently except marey sue. Kill yourself, reddit fag.

>Female
Check.
>Fan fiction character
Check.
>Cloyingly perfect in every way
Check.
Whoever wrote that out clearly did not spend much time thinking it through.

The force battle over her lightsaber with Kylo was pretty bad. She didnt even know what the force was 2 days ago.

On,y one bad thing happens. She was born to nobody parents who sold her for money. It’s the only bad thing to happen to her in two movies and it affects nothing in either one other than feeling sad for 10 mins. We don’t even know if she thinks Kylo is lying or if she still wants to find them even,

So it’s very weak attempt to make her less Mary Sue.

Except it has basis in his pod racing and mechanics skills. It’s a little big of a leap for sure though. He also had r2 help or would have died.

So Chewie is officially her pet?

Max Landis aka the one who originally called her a Sue now acknowledges she isn't in TLJ.

If Rey was male few would defend him as they would not fear being labeled sexist by calling out how awful the character is.

No, she wasn't.

>the one who originally called her a Sue
There is not one person who came up with this term, go fuck yourself Max

>She's ignored and belittled by Luke
Did he just forget that one of the traits of a Mary Sue is that anyone who disagrees with or dislikes her is always portrayed as being in the wrong for doing so (pretty much exactly what happens in the movie)?

She is.

Name me one challenge she overcomes that profoundly affects her character arc

I can't believe Luke got killed because he disagreed with Rey.

Ok, she gets hurt a few times, but i think he's forgetting one thing.
WHAT ARE HER FLAWS? WHY DOES SHE WANT TO BE A GOOD GUY SO MUCH?

But Anakin was a mary sue in ep 1 and everyone hated that

Are you kidding? We ought to replace "Mary Sure" with "Rey" when discussing these workers, hollow characters from now on.

Yeah she got a little cut. What a horrible failure. I'm sure she'll learn and develop from her experience.

She sure as shit was in TFA

I'm not going to be watching TLJ any time soon so you may have to wait for my opinion on that

Pretty good point, but at least the audience knew the kid was destined for a fall but also was canonically special. Part of the problem was how they moved on from it in the second movie.

There’s always a surge of tourists here when the newest capeshit comes out

Luke, have I ever told you about Rey? Within hours of learning about the Force, Rey will have unparallelled mind control capabilities, she will pick up a lightsaber for the first time in her life and will proceed to overpower and defeat an adept force user trained for years by the wisest living light and dark force users in the galaxy. Then she will track you down to a remote island to pester you about giving her your guidance. If you refuse, she will wait until you turn your back and start beating you with a stick. She might also try to flirt with your murderous nephew or pull a lightsaber on you if she gets angry. Then she will confront Supreme Leader Snoke's personal guard and easily dispatch them before using the Force to lift objects in a manner you or your father never could. She will also know how to swim perfectly despite living on a desert planet for her whole life, and will fly the Millenium Falcon better than your friend Han. I don't know where her incredible powers come from, as her parents were a common pair of drunks who sold their daughter for drinking money. They weren't good parents, and if they were then Rey might have been a good friend.

Probably meant emofag has higher potential and Palp only wants to keep the best.

No. A Mary Sue has no flaws, but Rey is a deeply flawed character. Her journey is built around these flaws.

1.) She's the strongest jedi ever. This is a flaw because it makes people jealous and that's the dark side.
2.) She's too smart and too good at fixing stuff and flying stuff. This is a flaw because it makes people feel bad about not being as good as her.
3.) She's too likable. This is a flaw because she's just so likable people can't help but love her and that's super tough. Like for reals.
4.) She's just too good. This is a flaw because she's never ever ever tempted by the dark side and that like makes the evil sith nazis feel bad.
5.) She's too pretty. This is a flaw because it makes Kylo Ren betray his bestest friend Snork.

>WHAT ARE HER FLAWS?
She’s impulsive and wants the be the hero. She runs of to save Kylo even though Luke tells her it won’t work and her training isn’t done. Like pottery with Luke running off to cloud city

>WHY DOES SHE WANT TO BE A GOOD GUY SO MUCH?
Because she’s a nobody that wants to prove herself

Granted they really half assed her “flaws” in the new movie and they were clearly thrown in as a response to criticism. I did appreciate the fight choreography in the Rey/Kylo teamup though. Kylo was using actual broadsword fighting stances and Rey was flailing around like a retard. She still won though of course because girl power

Due to the mysterious nature of her past, it was hard to judge weather she was a mary sue or not in TFA. However, due to the most cop-out answer we got in TLJ, we can indeed confirm she is the Mariest of Sues.

Does the mouse pay in cheese?

If not, stop doing its job for free

they almost made her interesting with being pulled to the dark side but nope she can resist that ezpz

total mary sue

Capping this

One thing is having strong raw force power, we can buy that, but master technicques in the use of that power requieres more understanding and training, and also be acknowledge by everyone just because is stupid too.
Hero path of the hero is shit, is fucking short and the she cut corners like crazy, that's why she is shit.
She a cute tho.

No

Yup

>post literal objective facts from the movie
>SHILL SHILL SHILL

Luke can understand R2 though. Shit infograph 0/10 would not read again

What is her arc in TLJ?

she acknowledges her parents dont luv her :-(

She wasn't a Jedi at the beginning and at the end she was the best Jedi.

They traded the old continuity for this.

She should have turned to the Dark Side in a quest to find her parents and then stumble across them in the third movie.

The Young Pope did this sort of thing perfectly with the season finale.

At the very least, they showed how Kylo was taking on 3 guards at once while she was struggling with the one. I don't know if that was their intention but it was there.

But she is a Mary Sue in general. Also, he's been paid to say that.

Rewatch the first movie. Luke has C3PO interpret R2 for him.

She was a shit Mary Sue in 7. I wasn’t even saying she was a great character now, they just hamfisted some surface flaws into her for 8 because they realized the criticism was right. The only one that was legitimate was just a rehash of luke’s impulsiveness from the one Star Wars movie made by competent people