Hell Yeah: DC To Pick Up Diversity Ball On Dark Matter Line After Marvel Goes 'All White'

It looks like DC Comics is prepared to steal Marvel's thunder on diversity.

Diversity dominated a panel discussion this week as DC co-publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio were pressed on issues regarding race and gender.

“Growing up, when I was drawing a crowd scene, I was just filling crowd scenes with white people. Why? Cause I’m a white person and I know how to draw white people," Capullo explained. "But you walk down the street in Manhattan, and you see everybody there, so as I matured, you notice the world is all of this."

The panel came on the cusp of Marvel's vice president of sales David Gabriel's shocking comments. “Any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up,” he said of recent Marvel comic sales.

The company's upcoming shift back to complete whiteness and heteronormativity should come as no surprise: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter donated $1 million to Donald Trump in 2016.

theouthousers.com/index.php/news/138058-dc-to-pick-up-diversity-ball-after-marvel-dropped-it.html

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/dan-didio-dark-matter-diversify-dc-comics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RIP DC sales, hope you guys are ready for black Wonder Woman and a Superman that "experimented" when he was young

1. You're retarded
2. Black Wondy already happened you dumbfuck casual

Kill yourself.

In pretty sure the Dark Matter line is for creating new shit. They're not replacing things people actually liked, which is how Marvel fucked up.

Did you read the article user, they said "We want to make diversity, but not like Marvel " they want to make new characters and stories, they were saying Marvel dosen't know how to write, if they actually succed in making diverse comics it would be the biggest fuck you to Marvel

Dark Matter should've been Milestone if there bring up diversity.

Can't wait for DCucks to shill this.

You ready for the real Dark Knight white bois

The actual purpose of the Dark Matter imprint is an artist ran and focused imprint not diversity. The only reason they said that stuff is cause that's what reporters asked and then wrote about.

Since when do cities like Manhattan look anything like "the world"?

Hudlin should fuck off, if they bring it back he shouldn't have a lot of control over it.

>DC willing to fuck over their sales.

>Dark Matter
>Dark
>darkies
>a pejorative name for African Americans or BLACKS

>Blacks Matter
>Black Lives Matter

Really DC, REALLY?

But seriously, NO FUCKING MOVEMENT ON MILESTONE.

A Black Batman will never look right to me.

DC's always been more diverse. Beat part is Dark Matter is all new characters instead of replacement legacies, which is exactly what we all wanted in the first place

O well, Rebirth was nice while it lasted.

It was a pleasure serving with you, boys

How do you think Blackmans parents were killed, it sure as hell wasn't coming home from the opera

Dumb Sup Forumsniggers

>Marvel blames their racist readers for not buying books.
>DC says if nobody is buying books, the publisher should look at themselves to make sure they're making products their customers want.

>Marvel says diversity is why they're not selling as much.
>DC, who has been outdoing Marvel in diversity for decades already, touts the diversity of their new tag.

It's too easy to just step on Marvel these days.

>a Superman that "experimented" when he was young
MORE POWERFUL THAN A LOCOMOTIVE!

Sk is this going to be something like Young Animal were it's a separate imprint within the same universe or is it just new books within he main imprint? It sure sounds more like Young Animal or Vertigo than being something in the main imprint.

I see Clark as more of a power bottom

It's like Young Animal. It seems to be Jim Lee's thing where he wants to put artists first. The imprint is spinning out of the event Dark Matter from which Dark Days is a prelude.

New books in the main universe but with a special tag. Think early days of Image, where they had superstars create new properties to expand the universe.

It's always telling when a board half dedicated to a reading medium don't ever fucking read anything. You guys just see words and react.

So basically Milestone 2.0 with hopefully less open hostility towards white readers?

I'm down

What else is there to read?

I blame Sup Forums

>Outhousers

so is this supposed to be a sad attempt at a satire article on how most of the Dark Matter writers/artists are white straight dudes or what

I'm still confused why this caused a counter reset. I mean sure JRJR had trouble talking about transgenders but who doesn't. How the fuck am I suppose the number of genders and sexual orientations there are when people keep making new ones up on the fly.

>So basically Milestone 2.0
Not in the slightest. You lack intelligence.

It was a Zorro movie you ultra casual.

This thread is reeking with bait.

More like Image 2.0, the characters being minorities are basically an addition.

It is, they reset the DC is Stupid counter for this.

>It is, they reset the DC is Stupid counter for this.
why. what possible reason could they have to get offended by this

because they're not doing transgenders yet
>We've got two choices - well, three, but we're not doing any transgenders just yet.

Christ Outhousers is a fucking joke. Of course they don't give Marvel any shit at all.

>quick marvel keeps putting it's foot in it's mouth over hydra
>jrjr just used gender terminology incorrectly
>perfect reset the counter

>Hudlin owns Milestone
fuck Milestone then

I hope this thread survives until tomorrow.

Marvel? yessa massa
Dc what's up dude
And I am a transgender gay black jewish person with mexican family, so fuck off

Dark Mater is just going to end up being a waste of good artists.

Nice

Wtf I hate DC now

You're not a fan of Batwing then?

It'd be weird if "diverse" Batman turns out to be a black dude when Batwing already exists. Not saying there can't be two black Batmen but why not use the one you already have?

>Dark Matter
This is a joke right?

>Any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character
Nonono your souless SJW characters lazy writing and shitty art, all of that made the trick.

>DiDio in particular drew a line between the recent Rebirth launch and Dark Matter saying, “Rebirth was satisfying the old fanbase. Dark Matter is about building new fans.” He felt that readers would be more interested in getting on board with these characters than previous attempts at recasting DC icons with new identities because there would be “no preconceived notions.”
>Romita backed this claim up, noting that the new hero Silencer he’s creating with writer Dan Abnett is a female assassin, but that “I don’t think of it as a diversity item. I think of it as a new character.”
> The artist said that if a story like this would be attempted with, say, Marvel recreating the Punisher as Francine Castle, he’d understand how readers would question the integrity of the story. But when artists start with the goal of making something totally new, there were no restrictions or second guessing.
cbr.com/dan-didio-dark-matter-diversify-dc-comics/

Nigga that Batwing probably got his head cut off after he decided to fight for good without using the cutting edge exo-armor. It's been Lucius Fox's son for nearly 4 years now.

It's funny cause after Jude Terror left Outhousers for Bleeding Cool he started doing more articles taking shots at people at Marvel

Capullo and Synder > Tumblrina

>. Dark Matter is about building new fans
Diversity >. new fans? hahaahahahahahaahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahaha!

>DC's always been more diverse. Beat part is Dark Matter is all new characters instead of replacement legacies, which is exactly what we all wanted in the first place

what the fuck is Dark Matter

Synder and James Tynion they really are pushing Duke hard.

>Reginald Hudlin
>Not the problem.

but its true

When you only hire palette swapped big city urbanites to begin with.

Don't forget. Instead of McDuffee, they've got Hudlin at the wheel.

I cannot remember a single thing about Duke, either good or bad. Is there a reason to give a fuck yet?

>DC haters hate
>Sup Forums gets triggered
That's my DC.

That is going to cost them sales.

>Marvel brings out a whole slew of terrible books that are marketed solely on the fact their protagonists were minorities
>they inevitably do badly, in an industry that is already on its last legs
>blame the people who actually buy their books for these failures by underhandedly calling them all racist bigots

All DC has to do is put out good books, it doesn't fucking matter what colour the skin is of the protagonists

you know what, DC can write good diversity character. I'm OK with it.

This will be like other imprints they created in the past. It won't sell necessarily well and it will be eventually cancelled, but the fans will appreciate that they bothered to try. I do, at least.

>The company's upcoming shift back to complete whiteness and heteronormativity should come as no surprise: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter donated $1 million to Donald Trump in 2016.
Always so cringey, Outhousers.

Based DC showing 'em how it's done. They've come a long way in trying to redeem themselves after the fiasco that was the New 52.

>The company's upcoming shift back to complete whiteness and heteronormativity should come as no surprise: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter donated $1 million to Donald Trump in 2016.

Really? It's not like Ike is new to the company

>The outhhousers

Ah, OK makes sense now

I've never read Milestone. Was it actually anti-white?

As opposed to Marvel which is literally 100% white.

Does anyone have any actual news from reality or is everyone here just living in a Sup Forumstard's headcanon?
I mean the fantasy here is that the liberal comic company is going to self-sabotage and erase more than half their characters because you believe they're pure racist and that's why they have minority characters in their comics.
You must get why that's insane.

Fuck wouldn't it be cool if we got a new character whose father was the OG Batwing? Like Batwing was murdered like Bruce's father and mother were and he starts on his own path to being a Batman? You could do a lot with the different circumstances a kid in the middle of the shit and Gotham

Who the fuck cares about diversity

Since DC actually care about gaining money, when they get no additionnal sale, they will cancel the book fast. Not like Marvel that keep shit like Squirrel Girl or Hellcat alone with the money they earn from Spiderman.

DC is already making good diverse book with Green Lanterns.

I am not gonna lie, when I see "diversity", I see terrible shit coming. The word is now horribly deformed. When I come to diversity, I don't care about race, but I care about sexuality.

I will buy a book with pretty lesbian, but i will never buy a book with transexual or gay male.

People do what they want with their live IRL but here it is entertainment. You can't shame me in buying something I won't like. Romance is an important part of cape comics and I want it with woman.

>I am not gonna lie, when I see "diversity", I see terrible shit coming.

That's because people who want diversity don't even bother to create it. Instead they just go "hay whit man gib dversity"

Nah, DC has taste, he did all he could to save Beaner Beetle despite low sales. All the new imprint needs is to make good stories and Didio will do all he can.

White people. The rest of us don't.

>“Rebirth was satisfying the old fanbase

Yes it was about satisfying the old fanbse but it also brought in some new fans because of the quality and praise it was getting.

I don't get why they feel the need to try and be more diverse when in terms of creative teams nad characters they already are and are doing it far better.

Hellcat and other Marvel cancerous title are kept alive because "muh politics".

Keeping alive a low selling book with good story is the correct way to introduce new characters diverse or not. If they make a new, I don't know, gay Flash, it won't start to sell at hight level, it need to time to grown on the reader.
If it has potential with good start, it has a chance of becoming popular, it is an INVESTEMENT. Something Marvel don't want to do.
Today it will be even harder to invest into a new diverse character because Marvel has poisonned the water.

I say hell to the fucking no to Jim Lee's shitty imprint.

>the quality
the low quality

It's mostly returning fans that swore off DC for several years with no exceptions and then some marvelfags fed up with the recent marvel shit.

>i will never buy a book with gay male
But user, capeshit is already gay.

No one actually wants something that has Hudlin's hands all over it, right?

you'd be surprised to the amount of people asking him when the fuck is he getting started with Milestone 2.0. Shame on the ball on DC's court, they literally can't do Milestone without him. This is the fucking guy who did the Wakanda has the cure for cancer but won't share it to the world because they'll misuse it or some shit.

Hey, maybe Hudlin is one of those writers who suck at Marvel but rule at DC? It has happened so many times in the past.

I'm not sure about this but the price is $2.99, so I'll give it a shot.

Why are you phrasing your post as an excerpt from the article when you're adding your own shit in? Whaddya think you are, a fuckin' newscaster?

>Superman that "experimented"
But user, that's already been canon...

>if they actually succed in making diverse comics it would be the biggest fuck you to Marvel
comics have been diverse since the 60's. get your head out of your ass.

>since the 60's
And before. Tom Kalmaku anyone?

IMO the worst cultural phenomenon in the past generation is the complete loss of nuance in social debate.

Marvel went full-on SJW over the past few years, they systematically replaced all their lead characters with non-white, non-male, non-cishetero scabs. Sales tanked and now Marvel is pulling back from that stance a bit. If you do not support their previous push, or if you support their recent turnabout, you are a nazi. No ifs, ands, or buts - you're evil incarnate.

No allowance for readers perhaps unhappy with *how* the pushes occurred. It couldn't be that readers would be fine with replacements if there was an actual sense of legacy, how everyone was fine with, say, Wally taking up Barry's place, or everyone was fine with Rhodey's taking up Tony's place. No, lets intro a new character and shoehorn them into the Iron Man role out of nowhere. It doesn't matter the character is black and female (but of course, that is is shows the level of pandering, what would be the point in replacing tony with a white male genius kid?), its that the kid simply has nothing to do with the IM mythos and gets handed the mantle for no reason other than the pandering.

But it can't be that. I can't say the above and be rational actor, centrist on the matter. No, I must be a nazi.

I'd *like* to discuss and debate issues but its never possible when the non-nuanced have already pre-determined the outcome.

>I've never read Milestone. Was it actually anti-white?
Depends on your views. They were pro-black but there were a handful of white heroes there like the one that turned into a giant sewer rat and Catholic Girl from Xombi.

>I've never read Milestone. Was it actually anti-white?

I don't think so. Shit varies with different authors and through the line of course.

The closest they came would be something like Wise Son, who is literally a Elija Muhammed Black Muslim nationalist.

The biggest difference is that they were willing to make minority characters where race wasn't necessarily the central thing to their motivation or role. Think Chris Priest's Crew.

So this will be canon?

>I'd *like* to discuss and debate issues but its never possible when the non-nuanced have already pre-determined the outcome.

It helps to stop using the term "SJW" unironically, since it kinda makes you look like the average pretentious Gator. "PC" feels a lot more appropriate to what you're talking about; not saying I disagree (since Marvel's approach to diversity in the past few years has been... questionable), but at least try and articulate yourself in a more reasonable way.

Duke man.

Scott Synder .

As someone who isn't white, I always viewed diversity and representation as a perk. It's not at all necessary for a good story, but with proper execution it can be nice, like a dessert or something. However, good writing must always take precedence

>tells someone not to use SJW
>unironically uses "gator"

Snyder is killing DC on the inside...

Snyder give Alfred a SON SAY REDDIT
The "First Ally" - IS ALFREDS SON .
I hate that .

Don't know about that ''always more diverse'' part, since I've basically always just read Batman and occasional other titles, so I have no clue, but I'm sure that Marvel or DC doesn't actually want to turn their legacy characters into anything else. I think we all know why they've done it, and it sure as hell isn't because they ''want'' to. So, I'd say what he says, is pretty much spot-on.

Oh boy another diversity bitching thread! Take that, tumblr! I-it's not like we care or anything!

How did Sup Forums fall so far?