Mortal Engines trailer just released. Is Sup Forums ready for cities-on-wheels and sci-fi kino?

Mortal Engines trailer just released. Is Sup Forums ready for cities-on-wheels and sci-fi kino?

youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38

No name director, small budget, Jackson's overly shiny CGI.
I'm cautious until I see Shrike. If he looks like a mutilated man stuffed full of machinery so he could keep on stomping around and slashing and evokes some proper body horror, I'm in.

looks fucking idiotic

>Every character in everything is now a stronk independent wymen
>Gigantic ridiculous impossible rolling city cars with thousands of people on them

This looks like the stupidest trash ever made. If you seriously want to see this, please move to Syria immediately.

Hester isn't the main character. She's also fucking mutilated - they toned it down above the mouth, but she's supposed to be missing her nose and have a complete fuck up for a mouth left.

Though the cities move too fast for my liking. They should be on larger treads and way slower than that.

London looks a bit too sleek. Fair enough that the top-tiers would be nice and clean, but I'm not sold that the rest of it would look quite as nice. But I think it looks great nevertheless, with a pretty strong aesthetic decision.

It's based on a series which is unironically really great. The characters in the books are very well written and so long as the writers didn't fuck about with that too much, it has potential

O-okay

I've been looking forward to it but
>tiny fucking London, it needs to be way bigger than that, as well as whatever the small town was called
>no sign of scarring on Hester. If she has a tiny fucking lip scar that's hyped up as hideous, I'm going to be pissed
>their first teaser is nothing but CGI flashiness
>this weird insinuation that everyone on that shitty town is about to die
Get a proper trailer out and I'll start the hype furnaces cooking.

le female protagonist meme

I'm actually amazed how many people seem to have read the books. The series was never that popular around here.
Still, Hugo Weaving should play a great sophisticated yet slimy villain. And the guy who plays Shrike already gives mostly robotic performances.

Yeah, I'm a little bit wary about some of the stuff that's come out about them making up some stories for Anna and some of the other Anti-Tractionists which comes across as "We need to give the DIVERSE cast members more screen-time" which is fucking stupid given that there's no need for that. The only thing I could imagine is that they're doing it to make Anna more important to the audience in preparation for later films, but it's really stupid given how well the books dealt with people from lots of different cultures, especially given it was written almost two decades ago, before all the present-day retardation.

No, i get your point and its not out of the question that the script could change things (including her appearance). But the main character in the novels is Tom and he's nowhere to be seen in the trailer.

It looks massive already here, I don't think it needs to be that much bigger. Especially given that, whilst it was a large city, it wasn't as massive as some of the other ones you encounter in the books

i'm already pretty fucking fucked off about those giant lions on londons tracks and the stupid song. The cities need to be way way way fuckin bigger than that. If they screw this by having retarded airship designs then i'm out.

Current climate towards these things is really unfortunate because the female characters in this series are nuanced characters who aren't Mary Sues. Ditto to the fact that there are non-white people in the cast, but it actually makes sense that they are non-white as opposed to just featuring for diversity's sake.

But as someone else has mentioned, the main character is a guy.

Could you pass me some sauce?
Yeah, I'd prefer if they didn't fuck around with that. The series has quite a diverse cast of characters, and overthinking and forcing more diversity could easily fuck it up.
On the other hand, I hardly remember Anna in the first book. I remember completely forgetting about her by the time I got to second and third installments. I wonder how they'll handle Jenny Haniver. Hope it's kept subtle.
The lions are a bit OTT, but it seems they went in more of a flashy fantasy direction, rather than gritty, dirty and miserable diesel punk. I hope that changes as the series goes along. This looks just too hopeful.
Atleast they didn't cast some indian shit skin.
Thank fuck Hester already fits this political climate. She's just a good character. And Tom is complete beta at the start of the series. This is one instance where a strong female lead should feel natural.

Isn't that already a bit of a warning sign? I know this looks like just a teaser but Hollywood is about nothing but SJW agendas now.
I'll buy the impossible city car thing if the book was good, and it sounds like it's got some big fans.

What a shit trailer.

For serious though if they cgi the jenny hanniver so the gondola hangs sperately from the envelope by ropes then fuck it im done. i want a SLEEK but clinker built ship not fucking stardust gay ass robert de niro flouncing around.

Oh god please don't fuck up my childhood please don't fuck up my childhood please don't fuck up my childhood

It looks stupid and fucking generic, like all those soulless greenscreen cgi fest they are forcing. What audience its aiming for ? Millenial cucks again or kids this time ? (real question)

Should be kids to young-adults. The book series was aimed at I'd say 13 - 18 year olds. Though I'd gladly read it again, if I had the time.
It has great characters, interesting plot, great setting. All around a great and thought-out series.
I'd guess the movie will be PG-13 and aimed mostly at teens. Just hope they don't tone down some of the more horrific elements. It is the end of the world, afterall.

>teaser before the trailer

This actually has to stop

I can't find an exact source, but I think it was maybe something Philip Reeve linked in his twitter. He mentioned something about a bit more focus on what Anna and Captain Khora are doing when not with Tom and Hester, which again sort of makes sense in laying groundwork for future films, but I don't want it to be fanfiction that exists just to give more screentime to diversity.

Friendly notice to folks new to this franchise, read the books, and in case the movie is shit don't judge the books by if it sucks
Also this

I'm getting some Fury Road vibes, officially hyped

These digits are a bad auger

Should be alright. Fleshing out her character more couldn't hurt really, since she ends up being very important later on. If they do it right, that is.

>they made Pomeroy black
what the fuck

better be as good as the books

Wait what? Shrike , like from the Hyperion novels?

The book is barely anything like Mad Max, though I wouldn't be surprised if they try and lean into it.

I miss Catherine bros.

Yeah, I think it's probably a positive (especially given the use of "saga" in the trailer, meaning that they likely have plans to do the whole thing).

>Hyperion novels
Never heard of those. Just looked them up, any good?

Shrike in Mortal Engines is a cybernetically resurrected contract killer, called a Stalker. A legendary figure in the setting itself even. Seen many wars, sustained a lot of damage. Also, for some unexplicable reason, took care of Hester, when he found her. A ponder on humanity, memories, what it means to be alive and all that. Just an all around badass.

He's supposed to look horrific, tons of wires sticking into his skull, and from there, back into his body, at the chest and back. Green, mechanical eyes. Body made of mostly metal, IIRC.

I think the teaser gives a bit of a skewed perspective. Particularly since the IRL lion statues at Trafalgar square aren't very big, so if you use them to judge the size of the entire city it looks pretty small.

What's up with that CGI. Looks like a local movie from China or Russia or something

That looks like one of those tower blocks, which are going to be around ~30 storeys, so it looks pretty big to me.
Especially if you compare it to some of the artwork, I think, if anything, London looks bigger

Hyperion is good, worth reading before Hollywood Jews it up.

I will watch anything by Peter Jackson, thank you for Fellowship ma man.

Can you post some art of her so i get the idea ?

It feels kind of surreal that a book series that I really enjoyed from my childhood, that it seemed like nobody else had ever so much as heard of, is getting a film adaptation. Cautiously hyped.

Even with a slight difference in perspective/positioning, London looks much larger proportionally in the film.

I don't think there is official art out. She's on the cover of one of the books, where a red scarf hides half of her face. There might be some fan-art out there. It's strange that Reeve never bothered to release art for his characters. He used to be an illustrator before becoming a writer.

Damn I remember reading these books about a decade or so ago. Never thought they would be turned into movies. Shan't be happy if they turn Tom, or Freya into niggers desu.

Now where the FUCK is my Bartimaeus kino?

Probably a conscious decision to let readers use their imagination. Some of his descriptions of body horror etc. in the books were better than (publishable in a teen fiction context) pictures would do justice.

its genuinely over. he's supposed to look like this guy with a beard

>She was no older than Tom, and she was hideous. A terrible scar ran down her face from forehead to jaw, making it look like a portrait that had been furiously crossed out. Her mouth was wrenched sideways in a permanent sneer, her nose was a smashed stump and her single eye stared at him out of the wreckage, as grey and chill as a winter sea.

This is fan-art, but I think it's pretty close to the description above.

Would you a Katherine?

i never even pictured her lookin that good. i always pictured her totally rekt

>chromatic aberration shiny cgi fest
looks like shit but ive only seen a minute of early footage so i'll wait for better judgement

Wait they're doing another one? I thought the first one bombed? And what does this mean for Shadowhunters?

I'm not a necrophiliac.

Different series I think. Maybe you're thinking of Mortal Instruments?

Yeah, there seems to be stuff across the spectrum

Well apparently the actor playing Tom in this was in that as well, so that combined with the similar titles it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

>No name director, small budget, Jackson's overly shiny CGI
I bet there was a person who said exactly the same when district 9 was announced

And I fucking loved that movie, so I just hope it's as good as this. I'm just cautious, since I'm a fan of the books.

>Need a spyglass to see fuck hueg city moving towards here
That was retarded as fuck

Ok if it's for teens then i dont mind it looking a bit stupid.

Pretty sure she's trying to see WHICH city it is. It's a plot point.

the book already seemed as sjw which is why I never read it and the last thing I need now is another sjw movie franchise

>the book already seemed as sjw
Never judge a book by it's cover. You missed out on a great series, I suggest you check it out. There WAS a diverse set of characters, but only BECAUSE it was a globe-spanning adventure over a few decades. It's written by an intelligent author who didn't push an agenda and just wrote an interesting setting and some great characters.

Seems that they're going for a more mature tone, the characters are aged up, swear and there are sexual references made in the leaked audition scripts.

A rare movie I'm interested in, better than marvel schlock

Original poster.

Well I can speak only on the behalf of the first two, but I really liked them and would definitely recommend them. The first one is more like a collection of short stories told from various perspectives and in different genres, ranging from neo noir to a tragedy about a father having to deal with his daughter affliction or a biographical piece about a pompous writer which reads like a mocking of the publishing business. All used to set up and flesh out the world and the second one is a satisfying conclusion, told mostly as a space opera, that ties up all the loose ends ( the ones that mattered, in my opinion anyway). So yeah, would really recommend the first two.

>cities on wheels
what the fuck

>MUH STRONK INDEPENDUNT WARRIOR FIGHTER WOMYN WHO NO NEEDS NO MEN!

Fuck this sjw libshit kikejewpig cancer meme.
I can take fantasy fairies and unicorns and sunken atlantis civilization and ayylmaos but the moment some STRONK WOMYN shitbleeding cunt is introduced as a tough badass it completely breaks the fucking immersion and ruins everything.
I'm sick and tired of this fad.

Well, the books did have sexual references also. I think I was a bit too young when I got into the series, I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable while reading the second book, because of the, at the time, for me, graphic descriptions of intimacy. Like the description of Hester and Tom laying in Jenny Haniver, cuddled up together and the lady of the ice-traveling city.

cast mostly seemed full of the typical sjw strong wyman marie sues and I expected that the main protagonist was a loser cuck boy like usually who get´s constantly saved by said strong wyman / constantly proven wrong

this shit will a) earn more than fucking justice league and b) get better rt/imdb/msc score

The first one is a coming of age tale. Hester is more experienced in the brutal outside world, while Tom is an upper middle class, educated, citizen of London. He lived his whole life rather normaly. He gets a great arc over the trilogy.

She does need a man because she's actually not a stronk indepedent woman but a scared girl who has been alone for most of her short and fairly miserable life, so is completely disarmed when a boy actually cares about her.

If I remember correctly a lot of the conflicts in the series are caused by women making terrible decisions, which are acknowledged as being terrible decisions by the narrative.

What difference does it fucking make, it's not as if he's gonna have a massive role.

>tfw there will never be an Absolution Gap adaptation

sounds like I was more or less right. WYMAN STRONG, tiny man WEAK.
that really doesn´t seem like something I wanna read/watch

>Tumblr vegan terrorists with dyed hair end up as the villains in books 2-4
Looking forward to that one

See, as someone who did not read the books this trailer absolutely failed to convey that. It showed me everything in modern shit flicks I DON'T want to see.

>

I hate when I have to argue some bullshit modern politics over a book series that treats it's characters as people with their own personalities and flaws. Their gender has to do with some of their outlooks, because that's how the world works, but there are no gender politics shoved in there.
The characters are people, living in a horrific world, trying to survive and do what's right.
Don't reduce this to gender politics, for shit's sake. None of the characters are infallible here. Hester is emotionally and physically crippled sociopath, Tom is far from an action hero and is mostly a city boy, thrown into a situation in which he struggles to survive, but then adapts because of some classic heroic qualities, like intelligence and courage.

If you want to reduce this series to gender and identity politics - the main villains are mostly crazy asian types who get rekt by white people. Happy now?

At least His Dark Materials will forever be saved from being raped to death like every other franchise has that has tried to imitate the success of LOTRs and Harry Potter.

>it's another "poltards can't grasp the difference between diversity for diversity's sake and a genuinely nuanced and complex cast of characters" episode
These are the sorts of people who would call Olivia Dunham a "stronk womyn protagonist"

Well considering that's part of her character development, it wouldn't really be feasible to show it in a trailer.
As I've said earlier in the thread, it's really shit that the market is saturated with these flawless strong female protagonists because it means that when a female protagonist written with any sort of nuance at all comes along (and the books came out in the early-mid 2000s, so long before all of current stuff) people are automatically suspicious.

Just no need. He's a fat old white dude with a walrus mustache, plenty of actors to fit the bill so why change it? Also I can see black pomeroy at the head of the historian guild holding off the all white Engineers guild in my mind. It looks like sjw faggotry in a series that really did not need it

>tumbl(e)r-pilots are brainwashed into thinking that they are making the world a better place through their own self-sacrifice when really they're just expendable grunts working towards the goal of someone who doesn't care about them at all
makes you think

and yet let me guess all the female characters are all shown to be physical better then Tom right?

preach

This is the stupidest shit i've ever seen.

>I hate when I have to argue some bullshit modern politics over a book series that treats it's characters as people with their own personalities and flaws.
You are refering to the books - which is fine, but this thread is about the movie and what we see is what we get and what we get here is more than obvious. No way around it.
>Their gender has to do with some of their outlooks, because that's how the world works
That's all fine and dandy and every reasonable and sensible person would agree with you BUT
>but there are no gender politics shoved in there
In this film there will be. There already are. Most of us have developed a 6th sense for bullshit Hollywood kikejew sjw libshit politics agenda pushing. We can already tell by watching a 1 minute teaser of what is yet to come with 95% accuracy.
Again, people are shitting on the movie here, not the books.

Nope. People in the military are better at fighting than him, because he's just a god damn historian. It's very down to earth and logical like that. Characters that should know how to kill people are good at it, in comparison to some city-boy historian.
That is true, but this is only a minute long teaser. And if they manage not to butcher the adaptation, it has enough diversity and whatever shit Hollywood wants in it, without it feeling forced, like I said.
I'd just like to be hopeful about it. Also, I was arguing for the book series towards the user. The movie trailer has basically nothing in it. I'm just disappointed that Hester's scar was reduced. Makes me cautious.

Oh and Hyperion-user, I'll be sure to check out the books, thanks.

Sort of wish this has been released a decade ago when Jackson originally got the rights. It would have kept him occupied so he didn't have to get involved with the Hobbit and there was far less of this polarised Sup Forums vs SJW stuff going on. It was a different time.

Just one trailer and Sup Forumstards are already crying
Jesus fucking christ

Man, my internal image of Hester was far more hardcore than any of this fanart, I think I must have gone overboard.

I was agreeing with the point you're making (first post quoted). I was saying women aren't treated as being infallible Mary Sues, they make mistakes and those mistakes are acknowledged as being just that, mistakes.
Wren acts like a moron at the start of the third book and kicks off a lot of conflicts that continue throughout the rest of the series, but the narrative doesn't bend over backwards to justify her, and she pays the price for her fuck up. That's the kind of thing I mean.

>Hester
>stronk independent womyn

She's a fucking lunatic that nobody likes. At one stage in the books she gets mad at her husbando for not wanting to drown a bunch of kids.

I feel you, Revelation Space bro.

it was a really bad trailer. I bet you loved the last jedi, you avocado sandwich munching soyboi nu-male cuck

you didnt answer the question. are all the female character portrayed as better then him in physical combat?