"The Last Jedi" is not my Luke

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=Mdm8rpv045U
strawpoll.me/14648964/
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513551839821.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disney are such shameless kikes

all white males must die

It's called character development, you fucking hack.

Woah, it's almost like 40 years can change a person's personality. Fascinating.

#NOTMYLUKE

Unlike the not-my-president traitor liberal pieces of lying filth, this is a hashtag everyone should get behind.
It would probably make Hamill himself smile to see this.

They made him a crazy old coot. It would be upsetting to the older fans. To come back to this... I'm not a huge fan and i'm a bit upset by it.

doesn't though

so subversive!
it's like game of thrones!
I really love when lefties take heroes and turn them into pieces of shit!

Development lol

You're funny

Why the hell didnt he use his green saber when fighting Kylo Ren?

You must be 18 to post here

Things change, Charlie.

Changing something isn't development. Without proper establishment it's just inconsistency. But you knew that.

Is that gonna your defense when you get charged for attempted murder?

I'm too old then

'Member when they made Captain America a nazi? Fucking loved it. This is how ALL white males should be portrayed in any medium.

You fucking retards know nothing of writing or good storytelling. It's not a believable change on any level, and further, it's a fucking terrible idea anyway.
Yeah anything can happen to someone in 40 years. Luke could've dropped his lightsaber one day and amputated his own leg, then become a raging alcoholic that knits and beats up R2 with a stick all the time.

The point is his experiences had shaped him into the hero we knew at the end of RotJ. He would NEVER go back on those things he learned and the way he grew because he had earned it through experience and difficult choices. He almost died for it.
How do you take half a lifetime to learn and grow into this hero, then you magically lose it just because time passes? That's not how growth and change and human personalities work, you fucking virgin morons.
You're all fucking 13 year olds anyway. Shut the fuck up.

I'm just glad this happened now and they didn't bait me in with a faithful send off. No bku-ray buy, no merch, no nothing. I'm putting Star Wars away. This film severed the cord by light speed ramming into it.

The Mouse must pay for this.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=Mdm8rpv045U

Better OP.
>Go to unknow planet
>Leave behind a map so that your ally can call you for help in time
>You don't want to help your ally

Is Luke senile ?

So you know more than professional scriptwriters and directors?

Good for you.

>justifying yourself with the most cursory study of his character
They should have kept him alive but having him give up was fine.

>faliure Luke
>dead Snoke/supreme Kylo
>nobody Rey
>expanding the power of the force

these are the only things Rian got right and only plebs can't see that. TLJ's problems are it's inconsistent tone, and self contained plot holes like Holdo going so far as to allow a mutiny rather than give a simple explanation that still would have put Poe in his place and taught him a lesson.

Not my Luke

Holy fucking shill. Professional scriptwriters and directors made Sharknado and all its sequels, what is your point?

Because that wasn't anyone's luke.
That was Luuke.

The "power of the force"

You mean Leia flying like superman through space when she had died? You God damn cuck

But doesn't this mean they like Nazi's or are rooting for them when they seek to make everyone into a Nazi by calling them a Nazi? I love how Nazi is auto capitalized. Why are they pushing to turn everything into Nazism? That word was capitalized too.

That's the whole fucking point! That's the conflict. Rey goes to find Luke, expecting him to come in and save the day. When he refuses, she has to figure out why, and how to convince him to change his mind.

TLJ was the first real time people have seen Luke Skywalker in 34 years (not including TFA where he just stares silently for a few seconds). Expecting his character and personality to have not changed at all in 34 years is insane. In the original trilogy, Luke is naive and idealistic. Now he's an old man. Experiences have changed him. It's character development, dude.

Anyone that doesn't get that and wanted Luke to just rush in and save the day didn't want a new Star Wars movie, they just wanted someone to smash Star Wars toys together for 2 hours.

Yeah, a one-dimensional goody-two-shoes Luke is much more interesting. It's not like he read the Jedi texts and learned that they weren't the "good guys" that he thought they were, creating cognitive dissonance about the stories that inspired his heroic deeds. It's not like he could feel any sort of guilt for having inadvertently caused the death of his pupils by trying to train a new generation of Jedi and failing.

Everytime I watch this video I feel like crying.

The proper establishment is fucking explained in the movie! The whole experience with training Kylo Ren and the other young Jedi is what changed him.

I mean Luke projecting himself user. Leia having the force is fine but yea the way they did it was shit.

Not my Luke

>I made this map so the good guys can find me when they need me and gave part of it to my trusted droid
>BITCH, GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWN ISLAND *drinks titty milk*
What did they mean by this?

slow down with those goalposts!!

right......development....not regression you fucking pleb

>what is character development

when mark doesn't even like it.....you know you have a problem

Hard to be sure. Let's see:

strawpoll.me/14648964/
strawpoll.me/14648964/
strawpoll.me/14648964/

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513551839821.webm

>A man denied a fathful send off
Better. Not my Luke.

People don't get more patient with age, I hate to break it to you.

It's not like they could have shown all that in the flick or anything :^)

Not without boring the children who are Star Wars' intended audience, and always were.

kino

Most people do though.

I don't really understand the butthurt over luke when its pretty clear now that force ghosts hold actual power in the physical world as proven by yoda. Luke "dying" just means theres much more freedom on his usage in the future.I think its a permanent jedi meme now to an hero and help/troll people as a ghost after youve found and trained an apprentice. By the end luke seems to feel vindicated and back to his less grumpy self. A major part of the movie is his redemption story, most people ignore it and cry about him dying. Its not really rape of the character, just a story a about a legend who made one stupid mistake, lost everything for it, only the "mistake" was awfully written and executed.

ablooo ablooo booo hooo

get rekt kid

Literally every old person I know gets whinier and more impatient. there's a period where people get better I guess but when people get really old it's like they regress to childhood.

What an ugly motherfucker. Buttchin... what were the thinking?? At least he looks passable now at his 70s

kys

Just because someone has the connections to get paid to write doesn't mean they're actually fucking good at it.

why do you speak like an arab

Character development is fine, even if they change into an asshole

Backtracking the entirety of a characters original arc is shit writing. Like if suddenly in Empire, if Han had gone back to not caring about anyone and only doing things for money instead of friendship. It’s dumb

Don't stick your grandpa in a shitty home where they feed him slop and the foreign nurses steals his change and he won't whine.

He is ashamed of himself for having a moment of weakness. That explains perfectly why he wants to be left alone. It's not inconsistency, you dumb fuck.

None of grandparents have been in homes user we took care of them at home, that's how I know they go a little crazy

>"mischaracterization is development because I subverted ur expectations" -le edge

it's not beleivable to you because you keep on making headcanon that's simply not valid
>hurr durr luke overcame anger against his father
yes but that doesn't change the fact that he lashed out against vader for threatening his sister. He was attached to her too, and that is in itself a facet of the dark side. Obi wan and Yoda were right. Attachment does lead to the dark side. He was blinded by rage that he kept hacking at vader's arm.

Fucking Based Mark Hamill.

We don't deserve him, Sup Forums. And he certainly didn't deserve this.

But he didn't read the texts. He just tittyfucked sloths for decade or so.

This t/bh, deconstruction is so much easier to pass off as "smart." Cynical deconstruction was popular when the original Star Wars was made too which is part of why it was so refreshing and resonated with audiences so much initially.
>game of thrones
The source material is much better at it, The Hedge Knight especially is a good example of how to implement a believably optimistic and noble character in a deconstruction of a traditional fantasy setting.

>This t/bh, deconstruction is so much easier to pass off as "smart."

Postmodernism was a mistake

Luke in RotJ was much more interesting than the Yoda ripoff we got, honestly, because we'd seen it before. Luke's weakness was being too trusting and optimistic and if he had failed because of that instead of being a coward with an itchy trigger finger that might've worked.
>not like he read the Jedi texts
He literally didn't which is retarded, he just sat on a rock for a decade

Pulling a weapon on his sleeping nephew is what needed to be established, Kylo is clearly not as far gone as Vader because we constantly see him struggling to commit to being evil, so he still clearly had a chance at redemption and Luke didn't even try, before or after the massacre. The Luke of the OT was tenacious and even if he failed would've been searching for a solution instead of abandoning his friends to pick up his mistake.

>Deconstructing Star Wars by replacing optimistic themes with cynical ones
>Don't have heroes, they'll only let you down
>Forget the past there's nothing of value for you there
Sure that's great stuff for kids

Luke is in like his 50s which is when people are parents of teenagers/grandparents of babies generally, literally peak patience age before they start getting to "get off my lawn" territory

It's a moment where he is showing a weakness he didn't have in the OT (his biggest weakness was literally spelled out as "faith in his friends" ie being too trusting), in fact it was the exact opposite because he didn't even attempt to express trust or faith in Ben.
Even if he did that, it is inconsistent to just give up and leave his friends at the mercy of Kylo and Snoke. Rian could've had him not find any solutions yet and be a failure in that sense but to not even try is completely at odds with the character.

>Anyone that doesn't get that and wanted Luke to just rush in and save the day didn't want a new Star Wars movie, they just wanted someone to smash Star Wars toys together for 2 hours.
My negro!

Also, those who didn't associate to Herzog when they saw the island in TFA are kinolets.

Except they didn't develop his character, they subverted it and deconstructed it. Show me how Luke goes from trying to save his father to trying to kill his nephew. I don't see the steps from A to B. Feel free to try and enlighten me.

He had to be goaded hard by Vader and the Emperor to snap, he spent the first part of the fight hiding and trying to talk. Vader and the Emperor also represented a clear and present threat to him and his friends as they were at that very second commanding an army to kill everyone that mattered to Luke. Ben was asleep. Besides, Luke expressly learned in ESB that premonitions are only one possible future and it's possible to change that.
>attachments
He's probably pretty attached to his nephew/best friend's son who he has pretty much been raising for a few years and might even think of as more like a son than a nephew. Certainly he'd feel more attachment to Ben than he did to Vader.

Why is this not available anymore?

#NotMyLuke

>trying to save the unsavable always works out great for Luke on multiple occasions
>puts zero effort into saving Ben because MUH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
Eat shit and die.

These videos make me cry. They literally raped Luke's character.

the last one should have read fuck trump.

>I don't see the steps from A to B

>the Jedi in their hubris allowed darth sidious to create the empire right under their noses
>oh shit there’s some hardcore dark side shit right under my nose I better not repeat the mistakes of the past
>wait this is a bad idea, I’m the legendary Jedi that turned Vader to the light
>ironically, his hubris in believing his own legend causes him to repeat the mistakes of the past

Yeah okay but... we as an audience are never given a reason to not like the Jedi aside from the fact that they take children and teach them to become demigods in exchange for not having sex

#NotMyLuke

>I'm the legendary Jedi that turned Vader to the light
Except he expresses none of this confidence by trying to turn Ben to the light. Just the opposite. Nice try though.

I was lukewarm on TLJ but seeing all the manchild Luke fanshits throwing a hissy fit over this movie has mad Rian Johnson my hero honestly. The movie was explicitly directed at you morons and your garbage opinions, and you don't even realise it.

The Outrage from fans is proof enough this was shit. Fuck you.

Haven't seen new movie yet but why does Luke change? Does it explain it at all or is he just edgy?

lmao me too, Anonymous!
THis shows those stupid DRUMPHtards that it's HER turn!

"but it's for children"

It "explains" it by having Luke do something completely out of character, and they don't explain why he would behave that way. So no, but it tries to pull some sleight-of-hand to make you think it was explained.

>"but it's for children"
manchildren

And if they don't follow their dogma to the letter they turn into space stalin.

The only children here are you faggots getting mad that a character isn't exactly the same as he was 30 years ago.
Grow up

>Comparing a ripened master with an iron will and total control of galactic energy flows, to your average wheelchair-ridden raisin-skinned retiree.

I bet you’re the guy who made the thread whining about “obvious Disney shills” on Sup Forums lmao

As if Disney would waste their time on a group that doesn’t pay to see movies

This. The Luke Skywalker of the original series completed the Heroes Journey. He went from a scruffy teenager who wanted a big adventure and to get laid to a Jedi Master. In the process he made mistakes. He let his anger and impetuousness get the better of him. He let his fears for the future control him, but in the end he rose above his weaknesses and confronted his Father and the Emperor, and defeated them by using all that he learned. In the process he saved his fathers soul from Purgatory and restored the Jedi Knights.

Yet this Luke...had none of the attributes of a man who had completed the Heroes Journey. His "Progression", should have been at most to being an elder sage. Not interested in intervening because he is afraid (because he conquered his fears, REMEMBER!!!!) but instead because he could maybe see a bigger picture then Rey could, and needed to teach her to see that way or some shit.

But instead of being a sage, he is a broken old man wallowing in his fears and failures. Considering this is his first appearance since Return of the Jedi, it is jarring. Its not character progression. Its character devolution. FFS, even Yoda in his chameo implies Luke has STILL not learned anything since being that young boy looking to the horizon. Which is fucking WRONG. The whole point of Return of the Jedi was that Luke no longer WAS that kid.

This Movie took the piss out of Skywalker. Even if it was a Good movie in all other respects I would be mad about it, but to do this on top of being a movie that does not fit into the Star Wars storyline...at all..., its just so enraging. Better for Disney to have done a hard Reboot like with Star Trek so we could pretend its a different dimension and not part of the original trilogy at all. This is 10x worse then what Lucas did with Darth Vader in the prequels. At least the fall of Anakin fit in the narrative, even if we did not like to see Vader as a scared little kid. This treatment of Luke makes no sense.

My parents are in their 60s and I'm loving how they have no filter anymore. People expected 20s Luke.

hes breaking the fourth wall and is aware that TLJ sucks donkey dick so he doesnt want anything to do with it

>isn't exactly the same
>is the exact opposite with no narrative justification
t.brainlet

Yep.

pictured: character development

Why do you want him to be the exact same in every movie? I liked seeing a PTSD version of Luke for once. People do get more cynical and bitter as they get older, so it wasn't that big a deal especially since they explained why he was like that. He got to redeem himself at the end too. Good arc within the film IMO.

>Except he expresses none of this confidence by trying to turn Ben to the light.

That was the entire point of him deciding to not actually kill him. It clearly establishes his intent, and the only reason he didn’t get a chance to actually do something about it is because Kylo immediately smashed a building on him and fucked off to Snokeville

Sup Forums has a bad habit of spilling out into communities they do care about. Of course their social media damage control crew will pop in here every now and again to see what's going on. I doubt its a serious part of their day compared to Plebbit, Twatter or Faceberg, but its still on their daily agenda.

No, he just retconned his mind about it.

I guess i'll see if I like this shit in 30 years then.

cry more shitlord