Huh

Do they have to be current?

Didn't know Disney still played cartoons

CN = Adventure Time
Nickelodeon = Early Spongebob/ATLA
Disney = Kim Possible

>Best network to pitch ideas
CN, followed by Disney. Not Nick.

Nickelodeon had the best shows growing up. I'm trying to intern there in a year. The actual people in their animation department seem to be a lot more modest than the others, but they also seem to have the most executive meddling.

Best place to pitch depends. Disney XD seems like a nice place to toss an idea, but good fucking luck if you aren't Calarts.

bump

>adventure time

Nickelodeon was my favorite during early childhood, but once SpongeBob started getting shittier I watched Cartoon Network almost exclusively. I only watched Disney Channel to catch the cartoons and MAYBE the occasional Zack and Cody episode

So, I'd say:

Nickelodeon: Rugrats/Invader Zim
Cartoon Network: Ed, Edd n Eddy
Disney Channel: Recess I guess

Alright then user. What are you favourite shows?

>>Fav show(s).
Nickelodeon had some of the best shows when I was a kid(born 1991), even though the Klasky Csupo design was godawful, I still watched it because I was a kid and didn't care how bad something looked so long as it was entertaining.
>As told by Ginger
>Invader Zim
>Hey Arnold
>Ren and Stimpy
>Rocket Power

Good question. I would say Disney XD, but since they have Star Wars they really don't seem to care about getting any other property. They also hiatus shit terribly.

Maybe Nick, because the rest are utter shit now and it's kinda moving away from the pack, but not by much. CN seems to be "spam TTG and Gumball and air pilots early enough to induce failure" Disney is "Add all cartoons to a premium channel no one gets and Censor the fuck out of shit."

CN = Samurai Jack/Courage
Nick = Invade Zim/pre-movie Spongebob
Disney = Gravity Falls

Best one to pitch too: I would've said CN a year ago but know it looks like they're slowly killing themselves, Nick probably now since the success of Loud House means they're breathing some more life into their animation department.

CN is the best network

Ed, Edd, N Eddy
KND
Grim Adventures

Adventure Time was great but there were better shows.

>Eds
Supremely overrated because of nostalgia
>KND
>Grim
Not overrated, but also not that special or unique

>"only good because of nostalgia" argument

Only actual retarded people say shit like that, user.

I've got nothing against those shows. They're all good in their own way, but AT just does it for me. Let's agree to disagree.

bump

EEE is overrated,KND is underrated while Grim Adventures was good but not as good as Grim and Evil

>ATLA
Good taste.
>Kim Possible
Excellent taste.
>Adventure Time
You have GOT to be kidding me.
And fuck SpongeBob, early or otherwise.

Nope, not kidding. AT is my favourite cartoon this decade. Also, how could you not like pre-movie spongebob? I'd say you have poor taste, but you are a kim possible fan, so I'll forgive you.

>CN
Classic PPG
>Nick
ATLA = Zim
>Disney
Kim Possible > Gravity Falls

CN

Talking from experience here. All three are fantastic when it comes to network pitching. Cartoonnetwork is the most lenient while Disney is the most critical (But do not read that as harsh). CN is the type of studio that will generally accept your first draft and call it fantastic while Disney will send back many helpful notes that actually improves a lot of your pilot pitch but they're quite difficult to actually get a greenlit from. CN is a fucking cakewalk to get a pilot greenlit. Three other artists I've worked with in the past year have gotten an O-K from them.

Nickelodeon is right in the middle. They have a very stiff criteria of what they want from your show that might feel stiffing to many. Most of their notes boil down to, "It needs to star kids or a dumb, funny adult" and "The comedy needs to be punchier" which for them, seems to translates to "Tell the jokes at a rapid fast pace". They don't have the best variety in that regards but as long as you follow those two rules, you can pretty much pitch fucking anything with freedom to them. They don't ask you to change characters motivations or re-write scenes like Disney does, but they do just want it to always be "funnier" is the note I've seen come back the most.

>kim possible fan
What's wrong with that? It's a great show.
ATLA doesn't equal any other cartoon, user. It's in a league of its own. Also no Cartoon Cartoon comes anywhere near Courage.

Any recent pitches from you, user fampai?

You misunderstand, I love Kim Possible, so I forgive him for his poor taste in general.

AT is shit though, and SpongeBob is overrated.

I forgive you too.

I've heard stories of how Disney more or less gains the rights to your show if they give the greenlight and they make a pilot of it.
Is this true? Is it true also for pitching at CN and Nick?

So this is the generation that posts here now. No wonder I don't get you anons.

I'm thinking Disney XD seems to make the most shows and pitches atm.

Ten years ago or more I would have said Cartoon Network, but that does not seem to be the case today.

They mostly seem to constantly give work to former Flapjack storyboarders only these days. And Nickelodeon is the worst at greenlighting around 5-7 pilots a year and not approving any of them for a series. Then they just let Butch Hartman crap something out for a while instead.

>but good fucking luck if you aren't Calarts.

I think this extends to Cartoon Network as well.

I actually had to look that up. Early 90s, eh? 'Twas a fun time from what I've heard, though the Big 3 cartoon networks were really just getting started.

With Nickelodeon it is actually easier to see what they are looking for since there is a strong similarity in just about all their shows.

It is the best network for watching what they have and getting a good idea of what they like and what they want out of new blood.

Why the fuck won't they ever show this on the Splat?!

>Then they just let Butch Hartman crap something out for a while instead
That's a funny way to spell Dan Schneider...

What does he have on them anyway? Why is Dan the top showrunner behind everything on that channel for the last 18 years?

>Cartoon Network
Samurai Jack
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc
Steven Universe
>Nick
Spongebob S 1-3
>Disney
Recess
Kim Possible
Gravity Falls S1 and S2A
Keep in mind this list was constructed for how I felt about the show when I watched it. The best network to pitch to is still probably cn.

>Steven Universe
That's it, you're outta here.

Steven Universe
Legend of Korra
Gravity Falls

;^)

>Oh noes! He likes the mainstream shows!!!
>Clearly it must be the work of peer pressure and memes
>not that any of those things are actually worth watching and became popular based on quality and not because I want to look cool and get reddit upvotes

Pitching for all three seems like a Monkey Paw situation
> CN has the most opportunities and your pilot may get a fan base alone, but your scheduling will be random as fuck and then they'll blame you for it
> Nick offers the most longitivity, but you only have less than a year of fighting the odds to prove you are on Spongebob's level of viewership before you get cancelled without warning
> Disney has the most merchandising and you'll be more of a spotlight act due to less other cartoons and you'll have more funding for better visual quality, but you'll be lucky to last two seasons even though it will feel like five for all the hiatuses you have

Current:
>Adventure Time, Venture Bros

I don't receive the other two channels because my family doesn't pay for them

If it were up to me we would only pay for internet, but the building's intercom necessitates a working phone line so my parents decided they might as well bundle

I'm also thinking Disney will make the most changes to your show until it is only a shadow of your original concept until it feels like you are essentially working on someone else's series and not your own.

Yes, and yes

Out of current shows? They're all meh at best, but mostly bad.
Historically? CN because of SBT.

>Disney will send back many helpful notes that actually improves a lot of your pilot pitch
>I'm also thinking Disney will make the most changes to your show until it is only a shadow of your original concept until it feels like you are essentially working on someone else's series and not your own.

Oh holy shit this

Disney producers will nit pick little parts over and over again and then make suggestion after suggestion until your design turns into that guy's design instead. There is nonstop interruption among the same 2-3 guys in there and they will grill you on questions you never once thought would be brought up and never would be over the course of any series. And they will essentially find ways to transform whatever story you have into one this one guy that is ever present in all of their meetings into what amounts to his story.

And then you will get flack for making things too repetitive and too derivative (this word comes up all the time!) when it was the guy's concept that you are told to include. Expect everything to be labeled as Derivative, while main producer guy will be constantly wanting you to include more iconic and recognizable things...which will only be called derivative two weeks later.

Then you spend the rest of the week wondering just how space is derivative, but talking animals and ninjas are somehow not.

>CN

Teen Titans (2003)
Johnny Test S1
The Marvelous Adventures of Flapjack
Amazing World of Gumball

>Nick

Danny Phantom
The Loud House
Spongebob S1
ATLA
TMNT

>Disney
Gravity Falls
Phineas and Ferb
Wizards of Waverly Place
The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

CN and Nick I guess. I don't really like a show to end so early like Disney does.

>network
Jackie Chan Adventures
Johnny Bravo
>Nick
Rugrats
All That
>Disney
I think I watched the movies, like Escape To Witch Mountain, but not the shows. did that one show air on Disney? Johnathan Taylor Thomas and some brothers

>Wizards of Waverly Place
>The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

Good taste

oh and A Pup Named Scooby Doo is still good. and Garfield and Friends.
but ABC had the best cartoon, Angela Anaconda

Current shows or our favorites?

CN: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc
NIckelodeon: Avatar the last Airbender
Disney: Star vs I guess idk

Cartoon Network: Dexter's Lab.

Nickelodeon: Between Danny Phantom and ATLA.

Disney: Too much good shit back in the day but I'd have to go with Recess.

Its kinda hard to pitch to any of these really.And even if you do make it,it will suck to work for them.
>Nick
corporate meddling will intervene in whatever show youre making.If youre succesfull you will never stop making episodes of it.If its not,they wont even promote you.Also,low chance of getting greenlit unless your show is a wacky comedy
>CN
Your show might get greenlit if it either has continuity or its another meme show,but good luck having it promoted after 10 episodes.Ratings will suck and it wont be your fault.Also,your episodes will get leaked.
>Disney
Wacky comedy or BTFO.If you get it greenlit,you better bring money to the mouse or youre getting shoved to XD in a terrible airing slot.Youre either star vs or youre nothing.

Pick your poison i guess.

*GTFO my bad.

CN: Sym Biotic Titan
Disney: the Weekenders
Nick: three way tie between Rockos modern life/Spongebob/and ATLA

This is not exactly how they work. And Disney XD is probably the safest space for a new show in the Disney network anyway so it is not exactly a ghetto for unwanted series.

Nick had a relative amount of meddling but Disney is definitely the worst in that area. Nick has possibly the narrowest view on what they want and what they approve of. It is not hard to get a pilot greenlit from them, but getting it to go series is damn hard. The successful ones here do their homework and put some research into what Nick likes and what they for the most part always make into a series. Think over the top wacky comedy with a light sprinkling of family values and lessons learned 80's sitcom style.

Disney has the highest levels of meddling, but that is because they have a very obvious cult like mentality for protecting their brand and maintaining the brand. You will get a lot of questions about how it will help and improve the Disney family and this means how will it add to their brand. The user talking about the suggestions and things being labeled as "Derivative" every other day is absolutely right. (which causes me to wonder what they worked on) From what I have seen the people who excel here are ones who have been in love with Disney since childhood and will absolutely toe the mark and be a proud soldier of the mouse and their careers will prosper.

Cartoon Network, probably asks the least amount of questions and rarely makes suggestions of one's concept. But they appear to be concerned as coming off as the "cool brand" more often than not. In this they seem to be very amateur-ish in how they do business. Because they will decide that they do not like something, but do not communicate with the teams working on them or really voice their concerns. There are some very professional people working there, but you will run into some very unprofessional practices very often.

>The Weekenders

>CN

Why do people keep bringing up One Saturday Morning and latter day Disney Afternoon cartoons as being representative of original Disney Channel programming?
Disney Channel even having original animated shows (or original shows at all) was a fairly big deal when they started doing it.
By the way Proud Family is Disney's first original animated series.

As for me
>Cartoon Network
Courage the Cowardly Dog
The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

>Nickelodeon
Hey Arnold!
ATLA

>Disney
The Famous Jett Jackson
So Weird
Gravity Falls (first half of Season 1)

Depends on what you want. But I feel like other anons have done a great job of laying out the pros and cons of pitching to each one.
Any show I'd want to do would be best off at Netflix though. But if I had to choose a network probably CN, then Nick, then Disney.

This is how I see it too

Viacom subsidiaries are a hole for creativity

Not at all up to your usual standard, anons. Only one out of three, I'm afraid.

>Proud Family is Disney Channel's first original animated series.
I'm gonna add that it was originally a pitch to Viacom that almost landed at Nick and/or BET

Yall fucks don't know what pitching to Adult Swim is like. It's an experience

Imagine a room full of grim faced aging hipsters with a variety of hair and piercings that are somehow in charge of a network. They ask the strangest questions, some of them very existential, and having little to nothing to do with your concept pitch at all. They are actually gauging YOU and seeing how cool and hip you are under pressure. It's like the cool gang from a highschool grilling you on if you are cool enough to hang out with them or something and you are the new kid in town that has to prove yourself.

Which is unsettling enough in the first place, but when it is coming from an assortment of 40-50 somethings in flannel and Dead Kennedys shirts. I never once got the impression they gave a shit about the pitch at all, or even listened to any aspect of it.

Oh and Mike Lazzo saying that something is "Dark" means he appreciates it. That little bit needed some translating at first.

Seems to be nothing more complicated than it works. His shows tend to be successful. It's like the guy who does Dharma and Greg, Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls and Bazinga. His shows all do well so they keep letting him do more.

CN = cheap crap, I don't like any of their shows.
Nick = Invader Zim, Ren& Stimpy
Disney = Gravity Falls

Probably CN. They shows look so bad they can't cost more than 100k per ep.

If you want a good looking show go to Nick or Disney.

Stunningly true, there does not seem to be any art direction standard at CN

I wonder what the landscape for pitching looked like in say, in 04-06

>When Cartoon Network was greenlighting loads of Cartoon Cartoons from their old catalog.
>Nick launched Nicktoons and they had lot of cheaper shows on it to fill slots like Making Fiends and Kaput & Zotski
>Disney was doing the same thing with original programing for Toon Disney by greenlighting things like American Dragon, Dave the Barbarian, Recess, etc

Adventure Time is probably their most expensive show. It's also their most profitable.

Forgot image.

animators are paid marginally above minimum wage to make that

On a scale from 1 to Fucking Bullshit, how fake and gay is this samefag?

Just because you weren't there with everybody when it was airing doesn't automatically mean it's overrated.

At least they tried to make something with adventure time. It's not great and they jumped the shark but it's not that formularic and not every ep is the same.

Nickelodeon was overall the best in the 90s/early 2000s

Nickelodeon has Nicktoons, Cartoon Network has Cartoon Cartoons (til 2003), but what has Disney Channel then?

I love Ed Edd n Eddy and I didn't watch it when it was airing, I watched it LONG after it was over.

What about just pitches that never get to the Pilot stage ?

CN - Steven Universe (I know, shoot me for having an opinion)
Disney - Wander Over Yonder
Nick - Invader ZIM

Best network is probably CN, followed by Disney.
CN is best if you want a show that runs longer, Disney is best if you don't plan to run more than 2 or 3 seasons.

Nick is shit, don't touch it.

Well considering Disney didn't let Wander have a story arc from the get go, it didn't improve the pitch.

The creator of Invader Zim pitched a show to Disney recently, they rejected it and they STILL retain the rights to it from what I've heard

>Teen Titans
>Johnny Test

How good is Netflix for pitching a cartoon?

Also how does one even pitch to Netflix without having producers and studios already lined up and ready to go?

I'm legally obligated to not voice an opinion however I can wear these Mickey Mouse ears and my foam Hulk fist while whistling the Empire March theme.

CN: Samurai Jack
Nick: Harvey Beaks
Disney: Star Wars Rebels

Best network to pitch ideas has to be Disney. They still put effort into their shows and are willing to experiment with ideas and tell a story with depth.

It should be pointed out that animators in japan make less than minimum wage, it's not uncommon for an animator to work at two studios just to make ends meet

Are you cringing at the comparison, or do you actually think TT was bad?

No, that was CN with the Cartoon Cartoons. Nick may have been best in the early 90s though.
Disney Afternoons

it was considered to be too similar to Star Vs

Not sure about animation

But I have talked to a few that work on reality shows that love Netflix. Apparently Netflix does not ever give them any trouble or meddle in a single thing. However they pay much less per episode than just about any network.