The history of film climaxed with LOTR trilogy

The history of film climaxed with LOTR trilogy.

Serious, there is no other piece of cinema that can compare the epic scope of this film. When you finish watching the trilogy, you are literally depressed that you have to return to real life...

No other movie has ever done that to me.

Overrated shit.

each film was a tiresome 3 hour long borefest, only saved by some excellent practical effects

same stale old bait

>ywn watch a similar superb adaption of The Silmarillion

Agreed. I got choked up like Sam at the end.

>you will never watch fellowship for the first time again

Yes. The most nearly perfect movies ever made. We are truly blessed to have them. Even if they ruin every other franchise, we gotta remember to be grateful for the kino we do have.

The Avengers came close

Jesus Christ, watch some actual cinema, you fucking pleb.

maybe one day...

The hobbit movies

First three movies I saw in theaters (I was 10 for Fellowship). I remember feeling truly alive and I don't think I'll ever feel that again.

It's so depressing. The only film that has a remote possibility of doing it again is Dune. There could be a comparable Dune adaptation, but in the current political/cultural climate, I have zero hope. Maybe in 20 years, but not today.

They were alright the first time but try rewatching them today and good lord the dialogue is bad, half the actors are cringey as fuck, and the effects no longer have that wow factor.

Honestly hard to get through any of them.

Not in popular film, certainly.

This century is shit, it's like 1917 again. Cinema has been shit for at least a decade now, in fact I think some of the only decent movies to come out were probably around 2005-2007.

No one will put that amount of effort into movies again. When LOTR finished everyone was like "okay new benchmark for visionary directors and brave studios to try and reach or top"....nope.

Once a certain amount of old directors, actors and crews retired/died there was no longer any room for high quality art because truth be told, this is the fault of the University generation coming through. Their sense of art sucks, they go from praising bleeding vagina sculptures to thinking they can make cinematic masterpieces.

You first had to have someone like Tolkien who had a life line and deep insight into the world in his day and then have fans and crews dedicated enough to adapt it, understand it and present it to the audience in a way that makes them feel what the director and the to some degree what the author wanted people to feel.

The university generation can't even understand or write their own source material let alone adapt it in a way that's deep and carefully constructed. GG senpai.

I love LOTR but holy shit could be any more of an IMDB baby?

life long*

This, but with Pirates of the Caribbean

Shut the fuck up, hipster piece of shit.

I think what OP means is popular film, meaning something that will be shown in a major cinema. Smaller, more "artsy" films are practically a different medium altogether.

It's more that hollywood figured out what makes money and decided to fund whatever makes the most money. A few decades ago, the ones in charge were visionaries with new blood, new technology, new ideas and themes. They could make whatever they want.

But now its just about money, like everything else that greed ruins.

Star wars didn't have that great dialogue either but it was entertaining.

And I can't wait for the superior more inclusive and diverse version to make it the masterpiece it was always meant to be.

On the standpoint of popcorn movies, e is right.
Your point still stands, tough

Only movie I ever saw in theatres that I actually felt a high from how much I liked it.

Please god make it happen

I can wait for a cut in which Aragorn rapes anally an ambassador

nice bait! i watch all 3, extended edition, once per year

I've read Tolkien's letters and Tolkien's thought process was totally unlike the thought process of other modern authors. Tolkien was a bit like Asimov in that he was a PhD, and people like that are able to effortlessly work details into their writing that none of us would ever consider, but which give a sense of truthiness.
Not only was he smart (smart enough to be a world-renowned authority on Germanic languages), but he was also a legit wise old man and "spiritually mature" like you'd expect of someone who was respected by C.S.Lewis.

Look at pic related and consider this: are there any hipster screenwriters who think like this in Hollywood right now?

Shit this is the most pretentious comment I've ever written.

>That was the last time in those wars that he passed the doors of his stronghold, and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for
>though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear. But he could not now deny the challenge before the
>face of his captains; for the rocks rang with the shrill music of Fingolfin's horn, and his voice came keen and clear down into the depths of
>Angband; and the chad Fingolfin named the virgin Morgoth craven, and lord of slaves

Now I love Tolkien even more.
Drink bleach you piece of shit.

Is it worth watching the extended versions?

In what way is it pretentious?

>implying 2049 isnt modern art that compares to the trilogy as a whole

See

Very much, its like they hid the real movie for some reason.