What went wrong?

DC You had some genuinely great titles like Midnighter, Prez or Omega Men, and bretty good ones like Robin - Son of Batman, Starfire, Black Canary, Sinestro, Lost Army, We are Robin, Seeley Squad, Grayson, Martian Manhunter etc.
I've also enjoyed BatGordon and Darkseid War
As mush as I enjoy Rebirth, I still prefer DC You, because it had more diverse titles (meaning not everything was about Batman, Superman, and JL or SS members)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
themarysue.com/dcyou-sure-fooled-me/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A combination of things.

First Batman, despite people bitching about him, is DC's flagship and Snyder hates the Batfamily so he scared away most of the readership and that turned a lot of people off grabbing other titles too at the store.

Secondly Marvel was trying to be as vocal as they could about how terrible DC is.

Glad it blew up in their face.

The only problem is that the A-List titles were largely in shambles. Johns not putting out his best in JL (basically fell apart when Fabok went on paternity leave), Finch WW, Venditti Flash. Superbooks were kind of ok in theory but fucked it up with the execution.

For DCYou to have worked they needed those to be solid while launching the new things. The big books needed to all be at least 40k+ for the small ones to survive.

>What went wrong?

Bad/mediocre sales, along with not having a consistent image across the company. DC, at that point, was really fucking weird when you consider how it'd look to someone not very interested in comics:

>Commissioner Gordon is Batman? Huh?
>Superman doesn't have his powers?
>Well, at least WW and the Flash are relatively norma-- oh god these are terrible.
>What the hell is happening in Justice League, then?

Even though people talk about Rebirth being synonymous with quality, the meaning behind a lot of the "doublespeak" put out by Johns and co. was that they wanted their main books to not be crappy or weird anymore.

Good point
Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and Deathstroke were all terrible at that time, and Superman books were a mess, too
While I liked Rogue Hal, I can understand why some people didn't like it

>Secondly Marvel
Stopped reading there, don't blame Marvel for DC's failures you fucking faggot.

They became too experimental too fast without leaving anything alone. It resulted in really quality books like Grayson and midnighter but it also alienated a lot of people who found the changes too out of left field. If certain dc you books came out now along side rebirth titles they would fair much better and would mast likely of had much longer runs.

Kek are you blind or do you just bury your head in the sand?

That company has had a smear campaign hard on for DC over the last 5 years like it's no one's business.

Also

>liking current Marvel
>calling someone else a fag

DC's idea was to put out comics that would sell well in trade.

However, the monthly sales were SO bad that there was no audience to create a word-of-mouth campaign for the trades.

Additionally what everyone else has said about the mainline being not very good. I think Superheavy and Truth were fantastic arcs, but normies weren't interested, and Detective Comics/Superman were pretty subpar compared to their sister titles. Obviously Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow and Green Lantern were a dumpster fire.

It wasn't a bad initiative, but it was bungled.

With Rebirth, DC continued the idea of being heavily trade-focused, but also took a lot of what made the New 52 a success in the trade market, while being vocal about correcting the things fans hated about it, so basically they were having their cake and eating it, too with a "reboot" that still appealed to fans.

I love that Young Animal became their experimental, trade-focused cult-hit line that DCYou failed to capture.

I will still argue that the Superbooks actually good for the three arcs that simply played around with the changed status quo and didn't delve too far into confusion (first Action arc, Batman/Superman where he teamed up with Gordon, Fight Club) but the rest was just so poorly handled. Before the finale crossover they didn't even properly telegraph that reading B/S was necessary to read and that's where most of the Vandal Savage stuff was laid out. And I still really don't like that they gave Yang that identity reveal arc before he was settled in at DC nor do I like that they spread it out over the first few months of things, basically throwing Lois under the bus in the readers' minds for no reason since it turned out she did it out of compassion rather than malice.

Actually Marvel didn't even have to have a smear campaign, because movie casuals and video game mongoloids did it all for them.

This if you want new interesting titles that are different to suceed and find an audience you need bread and butter titles like batman that attract readers in the first place.

How many of those did you buy user?

and also bizarro. you forgot bizarro

You're only proving how much of a bitch you are.

That's exactly what I hope for, and why I can't wait for Dark Matter
But still, it would be good to see experimental books with past mainstays like Shazam, Firestorm, the JSA, the LoSH...

JRJR's Superman was really barely readable, in retrospect. I also feel like the finale, like with Superheavy, must have been partially rushed to prepare for DCYou which is why Vandal Savage comes out of nowhere as the main villain and all of the sudden Tomasi is a main writer.

Unlike with Batman the Superman line had to do the whole Last Days of Superman thing so they didn't get the full year that Batman did to do their experimental thing. Funny enough Yang went on to do the best title in the Superman line with NSM.

And Pak's Action Comics was really fucking great. It had the young Golden Age Supes that Morrison brought back in his Action combined with the older, nice Supes of the modern day. Shame that the marketing made it look like he was an edgy asshole, which was what people have been whining about with New 52 Supes from the start.

Not user but I bought monthly:

Grayson
Gotham by Midnight
Martian Manhunter

Pissed that I missed the bout and didn't support monthly but now own in trade:

Prez
Omega Men
Midnighter

Bought monthly: GL, Sinestro, Batman, SS, Midnighter, Prez, Omega Men, JL, Lost Army, Martian Manhunter
I'm not ashamed to admit I've only picked up the others in trade after hearing good things

missed the boat*

Why would they need to run a smear campaign against something that's already trash?

Honestly in hindsight the death arc itself probably wasn't necessary. They could have done the merge without that. Half a year with everyone hanging out would have been better than some guy who looks like everyone's dead friend being the new Superman.

The Superman line of books being three crossovers back to back was kinda poor

Justice League not having a definitive point in the current cannon is what killed it for me.

Especially during Truth I just found it painful.

Has Justice League gotten better Sup Forums?

>Has Justice League gotten better Sup Forums?

Eh.

>lack of advertisement( they didn't promote thier shit on the View like Marvel did)
>It came after 2 lack luster events (convergence/Futures end)
>it wasn't going to fix the nu52 like people wanted.
>a lot of new titles were about b/c listers.

Dark matter seems really interesting and I'm excited to see how they turn out especially with the writing teams. Hopefully the abnett and jrjr is written in a way that elevates his art because outside of kick ass I've never read a book where romitas art really works with the story.

>many threads about Marvel disappointing again
>OP has to start a company war

I don't see how this is company wars. We should look back on things more in general. There's stuff I'd like to go over again, like I know Infinite Crisis wrecked a lot of shit by changing the creative teams up but I don't know the details for the books I wasn't reading.

DC learned their lesson that readers do not want new or original concepts. They want the same shit. Quality doesn't matter, just give people what they already know.

the last arc was good, the one before that was trash.
- simon, jessica and vic still seem out of place.

it's better to stick with what works when the original concepts suck

Shit pissed me off. Ugly nu image style books and truth. Womdies weird armor shit.

as much as I liked some of the books it was not aimed at their core audience

I feel like one year later fucked with books after infinite crisis more than the creative teams. Creative teams should come and go in order to offer different ideas and types of stories to a series unless a team has a specific vision for what they want to do that would take a couple years

Advertisement, plain and simple.

However, the line did succeed in renewing fan trust, in offering niche books and stories. Omega Men's uncancelation is what gave me faith in Rebirth.

I feel like the books for the main heroes were aimed at the core but they were just so poorly done that it didn't appeal to them. Like Flash brought back Thawne and no one gave a shit because it was so bad, but now they're literally repeating that with him being back again in Rebirth and there's hype.

didn't help that the superman titles were in crossover hell till rebirth
shame because the pak action comics were quite good besides doomed

It still hurts
Pak's Action started very promising, but it was fucked by crossovers, and now he is back at Marvel
Good job, DC

ARE YOU READY?
ARE YOU READY?
You're changing, you're changing, you're changing alright
I hope you're satisfied
But if not, don't blame me
youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

He has a Kamandi issue this year. I don't think he does exclusives.

I feel like yang got it even worse, he had maybe 2 or 3 issues that were actually his plot
atleast they apologized by giving him new super-man

Nice, I didn't know that

Fuck off retard, Marvel likes to educate their fans into religiously hating the competition
>Make Mine Marvel

Pak is the most mediocre writer working in comics right now.

He's not as mediocre as Jurgens, ironically who replaced him on the title. Kuder did help the run a lot though.

No they learned that you can't change the core characters that much. The weird shit is better as side projects.

Jurgens is just old and should be retired but luckily Geoffry Johns likes him. Pak is the modern day Jurgens though.

It's one of the better Rebirth titles

dont troll too hard now

1) the lack of continuity, you can be get away with minor flubs all the time, and major changes if it's good enough, but you can't have two version of your most popular characters running around without explaining anything. Powerless Superbro and BatGordon can't exist while the Darkseid War is doing it's thing, you can't just tell readers continuity doesn't matter anymore in a vague 2 page ad in the back of the comic book while expecting people to still pick up JL Tec and Batman.

2) Lack of consistency, Prez had a fill in artist draw most of the book, you can literally see Amy Chu's interior art worsen as Black Canary goes on and so on and so on.

The problem is that they muddled their own message. All the "no continuity" stuff just meant that writers didn't have to consider Truth when they were writing Superman appearances into stuff since it would just be set before/after it, and this wasn't really a change from how they operated before. It didn't suddenly make things noncanon. It made sense when reading the books but was confusing if someone wanted to jump in.

There was still continuity and Darkseid War simply happened after the DCYou arcs, but they did not communicate that well.

Nothing. We got Tom King, Steve Orlando, Jason Fabok and Mark Russell out of it.

Your post proves why: to brainwash weak-minded baby ducks like yourself.

It was shit to begin with, before the "campaign". Is your theory that it works by brainwashing people backwards in time?

This. It's fucking seedy how they operate.

At first they got a lot of new readers through New 52(at the cost of a lot of bitter old wednesday warriors), with time they tried to bring in more of the familiar with New52 and get old people back but the old people wanted none of the New 52 so all this move did was alienate the new readers. Marvel went through constant relaunches and events meanwhile. The came Convergence which for some reason pissed everyone off to no end. And then DCYou came on the back of it with bitter pre New52 fags and marveldrones going apeshit about how stupid the names was etc. So basically a lot of stuff built up to that moment. Also, quality doesn't sell, martian Manhunter was great, but too confusing for the average rebirthtard that wants shallow familiar and recycled plots.

>What went wrong?
DC tried to give much of their lineup that trendy and critically acclaimed indy comic vibe. Then they were reminded that despite critical acclaim is worthless when it comes to actual sales and nobody buys indy comics. So they set up their mainline universe to be a standard cape universe again and leave the indy vibe to indies or their own imprints.

>Steve Orlando
I honestly think JLA and supergirl are both bad

They had the ""media"" against them.

themarysue.com/dcyou-sure-fooled-me/

I was first concerned with him due to his Darkseid War one-shot. It was good to give Billy some gods back and the specific gods he got were pretty damn cool, but his characterization was so wrong. It was like someone told Orlando that Billy was a bad kid now and he just ran with it with no nuance.