So Sup Forums, I powered through the first season

So Sup Forums, I powered through the first season.

What the fuck gives? It's cliché ridden, campy 90s garbage. The attempts at legitimate drama were clumsy and no character felt "real".
I couldn't immerse myself in any situation and even though I understood that they wanted specific scenes to be suspenseful, I felt only awkwardness.

I guess it's a forefather of drama shows, but boy did it age badly. I absolutely love the wire and started to watch it because of the constant talk here on Sup Forums that The Sopranos "belong up there".
I wholeheartedly don't agree.

Please convince me why this show is good

It was a different time

do not waste your time, Sopranos is a alt-right edgy show, watch The Leftovers instead

>campy 90s
The first season is for sure goodfellas pt 2 in that sense. The later seasons have aged much better. You can't formulate a true opinion until you've watched the whole thing. You'd know that if you weren't a pleb

Leftovers is great but seriously fuck thyself

what does campy mean?

Eh, possibly. Yeah, the set pieces and shit seem dated given it was a current show for the time. But I think it's pretty ageless, has some amazing character archs, memorable scenes, and is a pretty important piece of dramatic storytelling on TV. We wouldn't have 95% of the shows we have now without it.

gas yourself

No, I'd know that if I already saw them, that's why I'm asking you imbecile.

It feels in some cases that it's deliberately bad, like the scene where christopher and his aquaintance drop a gun and it fires off killing a man who was not intended to die. Tony surviving an assassination attempt by 2 men with handguns. People are as clever or as dumb as the plot commands, it's really irking.

cos it wasnt. it was realistic in the sense that thats what the mob is, a bunch of slimy guido retards making money by being degenerate criminals, not the romantic godfather story

why is it alt right?

triggered? doubt that a Sup Forumstard is able to understand Leftovers

Was a mafia boss in psychotherapy so cutting edge? Was the notion of a priest creating sexual tension with housewifes thrilling?
I don't know Im just... dissapointed I guess.
If this was a random netflix show, I wouldn't even have finished the 1st season probably

>"Ho, Charles Schwab over 'ere!"

>t. child
Yes it was cutting edge for 1999 and I remember watching premiere of it and being hooked after the first couple of episodes.

no. Just not

>t. American

>t. child
I agree with this. When I watched this years ago I thought it was boring shit and dropped it after the third season. I just recently watched it all about four months ago and thought it was incredible.

it's basically "what if Goodfellas was a soap opera" and it's fucking garbage.

>characters didn't feel real

That's funny because Italian Americans are actually this corny and stereotypical. The show can't fix reality.

Season 1 is a little rough in parts. The characters are still figuring themselves out in some sense. Keep going it only gets better.

This is exactly what it feels like
Thx for the constructive comment. I will watch season 2 I guess
I thought the clash between the wiseguys and the more sophisticated italian-americans was intriguing

I'm avoiding Sopranos threads because I'm afraid of spoilers. I'm going through the show for the first time. I'm about 4 episodes into the second season, but I can give you some of my thoughts. I love the show, but I was surprised by how episodic it is. There is the storyline that runs through the series, but each episode feels like its own story that comes to a logical conclusion. The most obvious example is the one where Meadow's friend is having sex with her coach. Meadow's friend and the coach have never appeared before, and probably won't appear again. But what I like the most about the show is Tony. He's just a great character, and he's played so well. He does so many bad things, but I really love him. I also love every Christopher episode. I think the dynamic between Tony and Dr. Melfi is great, and his mom is just such a fucking bitch I want to rip her throat out. I really like the show, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm going to watch a few more episodes tonight.

I don't really like Carmela, but I think it's just because I don't like her voice. She's a fine character.