Thoughts ?

thoughts ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2P0rLslL564
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think we've had this thread more than enough times already.

Adults are retarded.

>Point out an inconsistency in a show
>"durr it's fikshon anything can happen"

He's correct, but many people misinterpret this. He is saying that only adults try to come up with excuses not to read fantasy, but he's not arguing against the idea of fans being nerds about stuff and thinking about how they work.

Found the retard adult.

It's not a comment on inconsistencies.

I hate Grant Morrison and all of his fans. If you read a Grant Morrison story and enjoyed it I hope you die of cancer.

There are varying degrees of suspension of disbelief.

The less detail you give, the easier it is to suspend disbelief.

The problem with Batman is that sometimes, really intricate details about his gizmos are given. This kills suspension of disbelief and raises questions about the particulars of the story.

>look mom, I'm being """"contrarian"""" again!

Yeah people like that are annoying. Especially watching movies with them.
Its fun to speculate but come on.
Its not about inconsistencies, are you retarded?

That's bullshit. Plenty of dingbat kids I knew would proudly state shit like "you know fire can't really burn in space, this isn't very realistic." And they probably grew up to be the same dingbat adults saying "if you catch someone who fell from 50 stories when they'r 10 inches from the ground they'd just break their spine on your arms, this is totally unrealistic."

Seems like you're missing the point of what Morrison said.

Alfred pumps the tires but it doesn't fucking matter, it's not inconsistency it's nitpicking because you're a joyless sandy cunt.

This is the same fag who likes to write about the multiverse theory, meaning that someplace out there, someone is in fact airing up the tires of the batcar

Hilariously enough you're doing to Morrison's quote exactly what Morrison described in said quote. You just got meta'd by the big guy himself

People always misunderstand this quote and it's fucking ridiculous.

He's saying the suspension of disbelief is being eroded by worldbuilding and over-explaining. That a talking animal would need justification in a story over what that animal has to say or that animal's relevancy to the story.

Idiots say
>hurr grant likes it when anything goes

No, he's saying that the fantastical doesn't need to be explained, and that the science should be to the level of how science is used in the story.

He should say it to the likes of CinemaSins.

I think you're missing the point of what I said.

Glad to have you with us Mr. Moore.

Alfred pumps the tires in every universe, but it's not important to the story in any universe, that's what Morrison is saying

I know it was a lame joke, and you can't really do comedic timing in text, but I honestly find it hard to believe that nu co can read me saying "hey, that's bullshit. Kids can be stupid, too." as a serious critique of the primary substance of this quote. Seriously, what got up your butt?

Hypercrisis

Well, yeah

And what about the universes wherein AL is dead? Also, what about the Flashpoint universe?

youtube.com/watch?v=2P0rLslL564

Batman doesn't have a Batmobile in Flashpoint :^)

To be honest there's a place for both interpretations. Worldbuilding works and can add details, as long as it's not placed before the story.

For instance, Spider-Man's Spider-Sense came about because Stan Lee asked Ditko "how can Spider-Man find his way in that dark room" (or something like that) in the Chameleon story. And so Ditko came up with the Spider-Sense idea. This is mainly because Marvel tried to be even more grounded. You don't have to worry too much about Batman's age in an ongoing because they're not intent on aging Batman up. But in a scenario like the Pre-Crisis Earth-2, where the rule is that it runs on approximate realtime, then it's okay to set Batman's age in stone.

With something like Powerpuff Girls or Popeye or something you don't need to ask questions.

He could pump them himself in most universes. It's really not that hard to measure tire pressure especially with all the gadgets he has.

But the point is that the lack of an explicit explanation of this shouldn't stop you from reading the story.

>I don't understand what CinemaSins is!

Fuck off manchild.

Is this the "he was only joking" defense like people did with Doug Walker?

Grant is a hack who got fucking reemed on some trivia and was so collosally as hurt he mistook the internal logic of a story for congruency with out own logic and reality.

Of course, but that's just the writing process.

What I (and Grant) mean is that the reader doesn't need to know how Spider-Man can afford to create his web fluid when a staple of his character is being poor. It's a suspension of disbelief.

They're being pedantic for its own sake. The Cinemasins guy is a character. Watch "Everything Wrong With CinemaSins" or listen to their podcast.

It was never a universe, it was a timeline, but Johns is a retard and his fans are not bright either, after all they didn't notice that.

I know it was a lame joke, and you can't really do comedic tone in a text, but I honestly find it hard to believe that a contrarian user can read me saying "hey, you got meta'd by the big guy himself" as a serious critique of the primary substance of my post. Seriously, what got up your butt?

To me it really depends on the story.

Little Mermaid's story has magic, songs, just-plain-evil villains, and romance.

Batman (in many cases) is based in a reality closer to ours, with only minor embellishment for dramatic effect.

Most of the complaints I hear about comics is when they try to have both. Authors requiring us to believe the setting is "earth-like", the heroes / villains have human motivations, and consistency is a thing... Except when it isn't.

Nerds

Yeah, why should a story have to make sense?

What you're describing is Ludo-narrative dissonance (free space on buzzword bingo), but things like "How can Superman fly?" are a different thing.

It's completely different. The Little Mermaid establishes that crabs can sing. That's fine. It's easy to imagine a world where crabs can sing. But "Nobody pumps the tires"? How the fuck could that work?

Nobody pumps the tires because it's not important to the story.

But how could the story possibly make sense if they don't take the time to explain who pumps the tires?

>I need to know who pumps the tires for the story to make sense!

The only reason you need to know it is if it's integral to the story. I mean assuming there's no Alfred and Batman's by himself like the 1939 comics before Robin got introduced, you can deduce that he probably did it himself because he's rich and learned a lot of skills.

I don't see how it's different. By the Batmobile existing and operating there's obviously maintenance performed on it off-screen or superscience that prevents it from deteriorating. You don't need to have it explained unless they're writing a story about it just like you don't need to have the crabs explained unless it's a story about how they learned to communicate with mermaids.

There's a difference between the inclusion of detail in the narrative itself and the oversight and conceit of story building.
One is, "oh! I always thought it would be the same people who made it or Alfred!" the other is "huh? oh um, yeah who cares"

When do people ask about the tires?

What I want to know is who built and maintains his several thousand square meter, steel reinforced, hyper computer filled secret hideout.

I'll give you that he can change a flat. What goes beyond suspension of disbelief is an operation that would require a small army staying secret.

I think canonically he grabs contractors from around the world, places them under super strict NDAs, and brings them in blindfolded.

There's also that one carpenter-themed supervillain turned good guy he met. I bet she helps out.

I also bet he could borrow Superman's robots if he needed.

I don't mind things being fantastical as long as there's internal consistency.

That being said, nothing annoys me more than some faggot who watched too much Mythbusters going "That punch should have killed him! Guns don't work like that! His legs shouldn't be able to support that weight!"

Or maybe they could just keep what he uses to fight crime reasonable.

Hell you don't even have to have computing power on site these days. Why not have his batcomputer be a Wane Enterprise server farm.

>That punch should have killed him! Guns don't work like that! His legs shouldn't be able to support that weight!

Having to work within those constraints is what makes stories interesting.

Imagine is Batman couldn't kung-fu his way out of bad situations, or had to solve crimes without NASA level computers and NSA forensics.

literally Earth One but Sup Forums hates it because not muh

But Harold Allnut pumps the Batmobile's tires.

Sounds good.

Alfred pumps the tires.