Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Storytime

554 561

Other urls found in this thread:

sequart.org/magazine/13244/warren-ellis-and-the-fantastic-four/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretty because i am doing OML after this run

Someone should edit that cover so Reed is flipping the readers off.

>Someone should edit that cover so Reed is flipping the readers off.
This please.

Why does Ellis have such a hateboner for the FF?

Wait a second, I know recognize this arc.

>Why does Ellis have such a hateboner for the FF?
wait he hate the FF.

The main villains on Planetary were basically the FF.

>The main villains on Planetary were basically the FF.
Also ruins.

>>Ellis’s first major depiction of the Fantastic Four came in Ruins, his two-issue follow-up to the immensely popular Marvels. Marvels, by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross, offered an unapologetic celebration of Marvel super-hero history. In Ruins, Ellis rejected that history in half the space, presenting a parallel, more logical Earth in which radioactive spider bites didn’t lead to super-powers without side effects.

After skewering super-hero after super-hero, Ellis finally gets around to the Fantastic Four towards the end of Ruins #2 (Sept 1995). In this version, Ben Grimm refuses to pilot the stolen space vehicle on the grounds that it lacks “lateral motors.” It’s this lack of proper preparation that causes the disaster. In other words, Reed Richards wasn’t only a thief; he was a stupid thief too.

This Johnny Storm doesn’t develop the power to burst into flames and fly around, becoming the Human Torch. Instead, he “caught fire at cellular level — burned from the bones outward.” It may seem cynical, but this points out that the Human Torch actually has immunity to his own flame — and what are the odds of that developing?

>>Sue Storm gets invisibility, just like in the normal version of the story. But all of her body reflects light, including her eyes, “so she was actually blind. / They didn’t know she was there until she fell on her brother,” who by then was a burning corpse.

Victor Von Doom flew the ship, when Ben Grimm refused, and thus got the Thing’s powers instead. “They said he was animal when he went up, and mineral when he came down,” the surviving Ben Grimm narrates. “They say he was wearing his internal organs on the outside.” There’s no reason why this should necessarily be case (and it’s only rumor anyway). But it does illustrate that a man who’s turned to rock is not likely to remain viable as an organism.

It’s a devastating (though not entirely original) deconstruction of the Fantastic Four. But it’s also implicitly the point of divergence between the Ruins universe and the normal Marvel one. Ben Grimm says, “I can’t help thinking it woulda been different if I’d flown her.” After this, all that remains is the epilogue, with one final twist. The Fantastic Four is the origin of everything, and in Ruins, their normal origin is exposed as always already corrupted by mind-bending stupidity.

>Christmas issue came out in like fucking March or April
>teased "death of the Invisible Woman" only for the biggest cop-out to happen
>nothing worthwhile happens except the NuEarth subplot that tied in to ridiculous Fantastic Force mini
>billions of years old Doom
This run had... problems to say the least

I don't know how to feel about this.
I didn't knew about Ruins by the way. Thanks for the info.

Also, in Planetary, the Sue counterpart was also blind but she had a helmet that allowed her to see.

Nice. Old or new?

>I don't know how to feel about this.
>I didn't knew about Ruins by the way. Thanks for the info.
No problem. sequart.org/magazine/13244/warren-ellis-and-the-fantastic-four/

>Also, in Planetary, the Sue counterpart was also blind but she had a helmet that allowed her to see.

Fantastic force
Bendis secret wars mini
and lemire

Very nice, I've only read 2008.

Hickman FF was a good series too. You're the best, Preach. Hopefully I can keep up

Thank you user.

Aw what
I wanted a cool giant robot fight

Thanks for the storytime OP