THE LAST JEDI PLUMMETS AT THE BOX OFFICE ON MONDAY

it begins

>Currently we hear that Last Jedi is clocking past $20M for Monday. That’s more than Rogue One‘s first Monday of $17.6M, but less than Force Awakens $40.1M Monday.

deadline.com/2017/12/the-last-jedi-star-wars-opening-box-office-records-1202228444/

>made $220m in its domestic opening weekend compared to $248m for the force awakens
>barely makes HALF of what the force awakens did on Monday, only $3m more than Rogue One

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
youtube.com/watch?v=JTTwlAT_AwU
strawpoll.me/14652682
youtube.com/watch?v=4hNAji3lIGE&
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you still mad JL flopped Synderfag?

FUCK PUTIN

Just wait till kids get out of school for winter break
This coming weekend will probably blow up just aa much

3 movies in and they already made their money back on their purchase of Lucas Films.

This sin't counting merchandising.

Holy shit, what an amazing investment

Why is people always shitting on the prequels?
Seeing as this new garbage that came out is bad, the prequels were very good in hindsight.

The prequels, albeit their many flaws, had:

>An actual interesting plot detailing a republic in political turmoil and how a mastermind had fabricated the whole situation for his own gain.
>Although acting was questionable, all characters were logically developed as the bond made between anakin an obi wan is very clear making the inevitable betrayal very powerful. And also how anakin progresses to darth vader with all the padme shit is IMO very well done and very consistent. No illogical BS as in TLJ.
>Fucking AMAZING action sequences.
>They showed you the star wars universe in a depth nor the OGs or this new garbage shows.
In my opinion, this new movies is just disney catering to the numale fags and the feminist retards that are always claiming to be fans of the original films just because its "trendy".
You can see this clearly when the main character is a fucking stupid chick and the main love story is between an ugly nigger and a hideous chink.

IT WAS RIAN'S TURN!!!

NOOOO
How can this be happening fellow Mickeys? FUCKING DRUMPF

Are you retarded? Those movies cost 500 million to make and studio gets half of box office.

They cost 350 million with marketing. They'll make their money back soon enough

most people hate the prequels because they werent a light hearted space opera with a simple story about a gang of misfits taking down the empire. They were instead dark and focused and had a more complex plot. It was too much for retarded american audiences

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

SW makes their money with toys.

Still, an under performing movie isn't desired because it hurts the brand.

DESTROY EVERYTHING YOU LOVE

kek

Imagine having such an undying O B S E S S I V E need to shit on a country that you unironically label the SW prequels "complex," and "focused," to do it.

Disney Wars being bad does not retroactively make the prequels "very good."

t b h a big part of the reason they bought FOX probably was for full control of Star Wars including its past. The initial investment may have still been great, but if the second part is true then damaging is future profitability is really bad.

No they don't. SW marketing costs much more than 100 million.

>increasingly nervous

Please stop it's just getting sad now

more like youtube.com/watch?v=JTTwlAT_AwU

Disney destroys everything they touch

Toys sold anyways. People still buy Darth Vader or Tie Fighters toys not Rey or Finn.

This kills the Disney.

TFA cost 300 mil to make and those budget listings never account for additional marketing costs

To be fair, he's half right: they were complex: needlessly so, in fact. Half of the problem with them is that George got too deep into the minutiae of the politics of the Old Republic. It might have made for a decent book or TV series, but as a feature film it just killed the pacing.

That's why they added the Porgs. Aren't they cute? Don't you want one -and more - right now?
Check also our Barbie Rey for your daughter.

What did you think?

strawpoll.me/14652682

IT'S FUCKING OVER FOR DISNEY
HAHAHA

And toys have ridiculous retail markup, upwards of 80-90%. The smart thing is to have one shell corporation produce the movie, license the merch, while another sells the crap and makes all the money.

Wow, a children's movie only does slightly well on the first day of the work week when parents are working and kids are at school. Shocking

This. 300M budget is probably 600M or more (given how heavily promoted SW is, it could be significantly more) after marketing.

THIS IS DRUMPF'S AMERIKKKA

All out of green milkies.

>childrens movie
>PG-13 rating
This meme needs to die already.

Isn't it normal to drop on monday? Who even goes to the movies on monday.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi has to break over 800 million just to hit even.
>Hughes, Mark (December 12, 2017). "Review: 'Star Wars The Last Jedi' Is A Gloomier, Flawed, But Ultimately Successful Sequel". Forbes. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
It was an utter flop, they are nowhere near this amount when you take out box office profits.
One thing you faggots are forgetting is how little the U.S. dollar has in purchasing power.
The Phantom Menace was endlessly more successful in sales.

Yeah, man. Pretty mad Whedon butchered it, but the fact that audiences liked it better than Disney Wars: Fuck the Fans is a soothing balm.

Big if true.

it's dropped more than it should

There's fucking nothing else to see, I'll end up watching it when I visit my folks next week because I sure as hell don't want to see Jumanji or Coco or some shit.

Yes but a lot of the money from toy sales goes to the manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors etc.

The licensor (Disney) only sees a very small portion of retail revenue.

In fact, Disney's entire consumer products division only posted operating income of $2b in 2016.

Why haven't rotten tomatoes counted Armond's review yet?

just get a movie pass, then you don't have to directly support shit movies with multiple viewings

It was doing 90% of what TFA was doing during its opening weekend, and then as soon as Monday came it dropped to only doing 50% of what TFA was doing

yes it is

this is what DESPERATION looks like

I watched it for free earlier without leaving my chair so no surprise there. Would hate to pay actual money for such a turd.

Yet it grossed more than the entirety of JL's domestic run in a couple of days. SAD!

Go see "The Disaster Artist." It's pretty fucking good. That or "The Shape of Water."

see

Good suggestions.

And people hated them. Even retarded normies on twitter saw it was a crappy toy advert.

>>barely makes HALF of what the force awakens did on Monday, only $3m more than Rogue One

This was always the real test. First weekend is before audience reaction really matters because not enough people has seen it.

If audience reaction is real bad it will only factor into the legs of the movie. Judging from the online response we should expect to see sharp drops going into the second weekend.

If that doesn't happen, the mouse won and the internet is just a small group of disgruntled fans. But I really think the negative response is going into the normie sphere.

Doesn't help that people are leaking the deaths of Snoke and Luke to prospective movie goers.

It will do that. It's probably going to make about 1.2 billion.

That's still a ridiculous drop in just 2 years.

It's true, flat out I provided the citation.
Check this.

Episode 1: TPM had a box office of 1.027 billion. Convert to 2017 and that's 1.4 billion dollars.
Episode what the fuck ever The last Jedi has a box office of 450 million. Convert to 1999 and that's only 312 million dollars.
They haven't even gotten close to the studio cost, let alone marketing cost, let alone making money back for the producers.
It will literally be entire months before they make their money back.

Toy sales are the lowest they have been in years, video games? Fucking please, there isn't a single studio worth a damn that would touch Disney.
So yeah, it was a fucking flop. If you don't make your cost back in the first weekend, your movie was a disaster. There is no arguing that, it's been universally accepted for the last near 80 years.
You might have a cult classic at best, but the movie failed.

I can't wait to buy the 4-tittied sloth toy and the ancient busted-ass salt skier skimmer that didn't fire a shot and got BTFO.

youtube.com/watch?v=4hNAji3lIGE&

1.2B gross may well not break even. If the idea is that it cost 800M after marketing (which is within the believable range). Even with the higher than usual cut that Disney takes domestically, they're not going to get much above 50% of gross when the international figures are added in.

>probably will see it again this weekend to get a better idea of it
>more than half of everyone I know is waiting to see it when they go home for the holidays
>Christmas weekend when kids are totally free and families need shit to do

Yes, I'm sure it will be a terrible bust this 2nd week. The drop off will be catastrophic. Disney is finished

>movie is still making money but not literally setting records like TLJ did
>write total clickbait headline that the article doesn't even back up
And you claim that the campaign against this film is made up with blatant shills posting here. Guarantee you this guy posting from Kosovo.

>If you don't make your cost back in the first weekend, your movie was a disaster
>Actually believing this
Holy shit you're retarded

>Yes, I'm sure it will be a terrible bust this 2nd week. The drop off will be catastrophic. Disney is finished

From OP's article

>Currently industry figures peg the Rian Johnson’s film second go-round at $88M-$90M. Rogue One‘s second three-day was $64M while Force Awakens grossed $149.2M.

$90m would be a 60% drop off. That's fucking huge.

Yep. I think they are really going to have to pause this shit and rethink their movies. If they are smart they will de-canonize last jedi asap.

I don't know how it'll affect TLJ or if the normies are as pissed as us. But I suspect one reason TFA had long legs is due to group of nerds/friends going to see the movie multiple times. The movie wasn't perfect, but there was a spark of future possibilities and you were guarantied a fun time.
I can't see TLJ doing the same.

They're pushing it too hard.

Kenner knew what they were doing back in the day and didn't over-manufacture product. I remember actually having to send away by mail-order for the Anakin figure circa 1985: AFAIK, it was never available in stores.

Nice damage control

Another thing you guys are forgetting is that movies are measured by success when the opening weekend box office OF THEIR OWN COUNTRY. Meets or succeeds the cost to make the film.

In this case The Last Jedi met not a single expectation of theirs.

They did not even get close when adding an extra day, they did not get close when adding the entire WORLD's box office sales for the opening weekend.
They cheated twice and barely made half the cost.

If I was Disney I would fire every single person involved in the movie and make sure they never worked again in the industry. Because this is the kind of shit people commit suicide by shotgun to the back of the head while there arms are tied to a toilet and emails to Hillary Clinton are found in the house levels of bad.

>>more than half of everyone I know

So 2 people? If people were waiting to see it, it would not have made 200m+ opening weekend.

Based Hank.

>probably will see it again this weekend to get a better idea of it
Why? It’s shit.

Jeez you think this soul crushing retarded movie that destroys Star Wars doesn’t have legs? Lol. Also it’s just a bad movie in and of itself from bad acting in most actors to pointless filler shit.

The gift that keeps on giving.

>t. little kid who knows nothing about movies shit posting on Sup Forums
Just because I called your favorite SW movie shit and said it was a financial failure doesn't mean you need to act like a faggot kid.

>>Currently industry figures peg the Rian Johnson’s film second go-round at $88M-$90M. Rogue One‘s second three-day was $64M while Force Awakens grossed $149.2M.
>$90m would be a 60% drop off. That's fucking huge.

kek is this true?

Justice League had a 60% 2nd weekend drop-off. This is a disaster for Disney.

So are you trying to say it will be unsuccessful or successful? The fact is I know half of my friends from college and med school were waiting to see it this weekend because they will actually be home/not have school.

Still not addressing the fact that the actual audience for the film, children, will be out of school starting this weekend for basically an entire week. Shitty film or not, kids have no taste anyways so they'll probably be out seeing it to. Are they going to go see Ferdinand instead?

>More schools were on break following the opening weekends of Force Awakens (77%) and Rogue One (48%) and today there’s only 31% on vacation.

>movies are measured by success when the opening weekend box office OF THEIR OWN COUNTRY. Meets or succeeds the cost to make the film.
I'm not buying that.

No one, for instance, ever had any expectation of BR2049 making back its entire budget on just the opening weekend domestic box office. The expectation was $43-47M, against a pre-marketing budget of $150-180M, and it was only when it fell $10M short of that that it was pronounced a failure.

>Why is

fuck off pajeet

Is this accurate? I really want it to be.

>$400+ million worldwide 4 day gross.
>2nd largest opening ever
>Underperforming.

It's from Deadline. Yes it's accurate.

This.

Sup Forums delusional as always.

Also, even TPM didn't make back its entire budget in the first weekend.

nd largest opening ever

hmmm

>Well we made double our budget... but it wasn't in the first weekend, so I guess we failed
It literally doesn't matter when they made back their money, or how long it took.

Holy shit.

The point is they are seeing diminishing returns. A downward trajectory is not ideal. At its current pace, TLJ will have made only a little over half of TFA.

Conveniently left out in pretty much every quote thus far

>More schools were on break following the opening weekends of Force Awakens (77%) and Rogue One (48%) and today there’s only 31% on vacation.

So TLJ was able to make 50% of TFA's Monday gross with arguably

>It literally doesn't matter when they made back their money, or how long it took.

Yes it does. As the weeks go on, cinemas get to keep a bigger cut of the box office

'Domestic' opening. Hmm

J U M A N J I

That's domestic and worldwide opening.

They are talking about Domestic only

There's only one more left. Do you honestly think the finale of the new star wars trilogy won't make back its money?

Alien had a budget of 11 million dollars.
They met that budget just with domestic earnings within half a weeks time. Making over 80% of its earnings in the first weekend.
This does not include foreign earnings, where it easily succeeded its cost to make by almost doubling their earnings.
Alien is highly considered to be one of the greatest movies all time.

While you're arguing against my point, The Last Jedi with an extra day and foreign and domestic profits added together barely made half their budget. Yet this movie was horrible and has one of the lowest ratings of any mainstream movie ever.

You can say you're not buying that, but do you really believe that's a coincidence?

Let's use another example friend.

The Fellowship of The Ring had a budget of 93 million dollars. In Its first weekend domestic it earned over 47 million dollars (without that extra day :^) that SW had also). By the next weekend it had met its budget.
Add in foreign and it doubled its profit that first week.
This movie isn't the greatest movie, but it was infinitely better than The Last Jedi.
So was it coincidence that it did better in theaters?
No it wasn't, the better your movie is the more likely people are to see it. Therefore the closer to your budget your profits will be at the end of closing weekend without counting foreign profit.
A financially successful movie will either make or be as close as possible to its budget in profits by end of closing weekend.
50% of your budget with an extra day added and foreign profits being added is most assuredly a failure.

So you're saying that even if they make their money back, it doesn't matter, because they took too long?

You're literally retarded

>TPM had a box office of 1.027 billion
it didn't even reach 900 mln during its first run, there was a second run back in 2012 you idiot

Yes, won't kids be dying to see a movie with two niggers, some brit from a show they don't watch, and some comedian popular 10 years ago based on a property from 10 years before they were even born. Disney is done for, bury it.