Post characters that would have made better villain choices for the Justice League movie than Steppenwolf

Post characters that would have made better villain choices for the Justice League movie than Steppenwolf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xsBBryVv06c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All of them

Vandal Savage, Brainiac, Dr Ivo & Amazo

Big capemovies need to have at least more than one villain, even if is in the background.

Who will be?

That's a JSA villain tho.

>tfw live action Starro is most likely never happening

Whedon was smart with what he did in Avengers. The heroes are the centerpiece of the movie, so you need to spend as little time explaining or setting up the motivation of the villains as possible.

That's why the Appelaxians would have been good choices. They're just basically big monsters and kaijus for the JLA to spectacularly beat the shit out of. There's no necessary explanation except that they're invading Earth. It'd be a waste to have Starro in the first movie because there's a lot that can be done with him.

So Steppenwolf actually isn't that bad a choice, since all you need to explain is that he's a bad dude from Apokolips who's invading. The Parademons are good cannon fodder for the JLA to fuck up, and you don't have to waste Darkseid like they did in the New 52 JL.

As a fan, there's a lot of stuff I would do with these movies, but none of it would be good for a big budget movie that has to make a trillion dollars and sell twelve gorillion toys.

Pic related should've been the villain.

Also better choices:
>Despero
>Faceless Hunters
>Amazo
>Brainiac
>Morgan Le Fe
>Kalibak

Despero would make a good side villain
Steppenwolf is still a bad choice given that its dipping in the New God well early and the character has never fucking mattered. Granny Goodness has more exposure than him

*OP's pic related

It's actually basically the exact same decision as with Avengers. They were essentially "setting up" Thanos without using him.

But also the idea you have to "save" everything for later movies is fucking dumb. The only reason to do it here is because the first movie has to showcase the heroes, not the villains. After that everything should be fair game instead of trying to edge me over thirty movies.

PLEASE tell me Steppenwolf isn't the main villain.

I can't. He is.

This has been known for a while.

Fuck.

I cannot perceive a universe where this movie doesn't look like an embarrassing wreck.

Yeah Im not saying we need to tease the fuck out of Darkseid like Marvel did with Thanos, but still you should probably save that for the sequel. On the other hand, with a good script you can do Darkseid first, then return to him again later. But with the upcoming JL movie Im fucking annoyed by the Steppenwolf shit, either do full Darkseid or dont. Brainiac, Vandal Savage, Despero, Starro, The Legion of Doom, christ even Mongul would have been better than this shit.

To be fair, they got a pretty good actor for him.

But yeah, I feel you

Steppenwolf will prolly have a similar role like Lex did in BvS. We should still get a "secret" big bad for the finale (like Doomsday in BvS).

Based Snyder did fuckin Zod and motherfucking Doomsday, I doubt he would step down with a z-list villian for Justice League.

>Based Snyder did fuckin Zod and motherfucking Doomsday
yeah totally based i love good villains being made into fucking trash

I'm thinking that's gonna be a revived Superman under the control of either Steppenwolf, Luthor or Darkseid.

Lex Luthor
Amazo
The Joker
A shoe
Mongul
Braniac
Doomsday
Starro
White Martians

Hold on there champ, lets not get carried away and call Doomsday a good villain. Its a testament to how shit Snyder is to see him fuck up Doomsday of all people

>Steppenwolf will prolly have a similar role like Lex did in BvS. We should still get a "secret" big bad for the finale (like Doomsday in BvS).

Oh, goodie, because that worked out so well with BvS.

There's nothing like watching the heroes fight a completely new and unestablished threat we have no attachment or engagement with for a film's final act. Especially if that threat is just a huge CGI monster with no personality. That's always a great experience.

for a cgi monster, Snyder managed to give him some depth. They even tied his whole origin into the genetic purity thing from MoS. I liked it for what it was, Doomsday was never going to be more than a monster.

The entire Green Lantern movie was setup for Sinestro Corps War. You know what happened? The movie bombed and we never got the sequel.

I thought this was shuma gorath. I didn't know starro had an eye

Parallels aren't depth, bruh.

Without actual depth this stuff is Lucas pottery tier.

>Steppenwolf
>not a wolf
????

If Superman spends ANY amount of time as a fucking villain or monster Snyder needs to be impaled. That will just cement the degree to which he hates the character.

but parallels can be used to highlight depth. I mean, shit, even Shakespeare uses parallels. Dont be such a stupid hipster.
Doomsday was explicitly a fail safe in the kryptonian dna to keep it pure, which is basically what Zod was doing to begin with. Zod said he would kill Superman and he ended up being right via Doomsday.

Also him being made from Zod's corpse is Superman's mistake of killing Zod coming back to haunt him.
Its more depth than comics doomsday desu.

how does he hate Superman? He made him the purest waifu in the world, so pure half of humanity doesnt believe him, so pure that he influences both WW and Batman to be heroes again AND is the reason the JL exists. You crazy.

but he was a villain in that two park Darkseid ark in the DCAU.

but he was a villain in Injustice.
but he was a villain multiple times in the comics.
oh you are a casual, okay.... opinion disregarded...

Doomsday had no business being in a movie to begin with. Snyder somehow made it worse than the trash I expected by trying to convince us that Doomsday was somehow interesting as something other than "A MONSTER SO BIG AND EVIL IT CAN EVEN BEAT UP *SUPERMAN*"

Injustice is an AU.

"Legacy" is the finale of STAS, so it comes after an entire series of development for Superman. This is the case also with all the numerous times Superman has been evil in the comics, most instances of which are alternate universes or parallel dimensions.

Your analogy is incorrect and does not equate.

>If it does happen they'll fuck it up

Donner hates Superman more. He made it so Superman had to be explicitly told by Jor-El to be good, and made it so he didnt even TRY to save his dad when he had a heart attack, RIGHT AFTER showing us he had super speed.
Why can't anyone make a good Superman adaptation?

>Post characters that would have made better villain choices for the Justice League movie than Steppenwolf
Snyder's League itself, with a parallel Earth League (or the CW heroes) showing up to confront them.

>stories cannot stand on their own

but Dark Knight Returns does it without set up and it works fine.

The movie universe, as is every single adaptation, is an AU too.

You can watch legacy without watching the rest of the seasons.

in universe Superman had 2 years of saving people between MoS and BvS.
You are dumb.

The real question is- are they going to have Granny Goodness in any way shape or form?

Fuck off your irrational brat.
For all the shit Mos gets no one is retarded enough to claim Zod was bad.
He was fucking fantastic.

>but parallels can be used to highlight depth.

That's not what they're doing here, though. It's just parallels for the sake of parallels. Which isn't BAD, but... there's nothing else.

There is no depth. Doomsday being related to Zod does not add anything to him. It makes the story more self-contained, with one thing progressing from another, but he's no more interesting that he was in the comics.

>Dont be such a stupid hipster.

I'm not sure you know what that word means.

Jor-El simply gave him a mission, which was to act as a superior being and guide humanity as a leader, and Donner Superman largely rejected that to become a wandering good samaritan.

Jonathan's ticker just went bust. Whipping him through the air at a few hundred miles per hour wasn't going to change that. Still 10000x better than throwing yourself into a weather woodchipper in front of your family.

Here (you) go.

They'll introduce her and then kill her immediately. Because that's "fun"

>Cast an exceedingly talented actor
>tell him to act like a cardboard cutout of a villain
>GRRR IM ANGRY AND YELLING ALL THE TIME SO IM THE BAD GUY UNLIKE THE CALM GOOD GUY GRRRRR I WANNA DO BAD THINGS
kill yourself

>He had no business

but he is the guy that kills Superman, he had all the business being there, and he used him to actually give Superman a moment of character growth.

Why are you mad that he made him MORE than a big dumb monster? Thats silly. He never said he was interesting, but he can be more than a monster.

Killing Superman in his second canon appearance was a dumb idea in the first place.

>and he used him to actually give Superman a moment of character growth.

A moment of growth that was completely unearned and felt utterly ingenuine.

So, basically, Doomsday was of no use at all.

>Jor-El simply gave him a mission, which was to act as a superior being and guide humanity as a leader, and Donner Superman largely rejected that to become a wandering good samaritan.

what? are you... you retarded? The ship he lives in as a child starts his Jor-El education, and then the first thing he does after Pa Kent dies is go and create the Fortress of Solitude and does another x number of years of training with virtual jor-el, where Jor-El tells him to lead through example thus he becomes Superman.

Also why are you suddenly applying real world physics on superman to imply that its outside of comicbook logic for a super speed super to save someone from a heart attack? They arent instant death you know.

Also idk how you can say his pointless death (also his second scene in the movie) is worse than Pa Kent risking his life himself to save a defenseless dog and protect his son's secret, thus teaching him by example.

The Sinestro Corps

Hell no. Granny Goodness, Virman Vundabar, anything remotely fun will be scrapped. We might get The Furies, but they'll probably be harpy like demons or something

I honestly have no idea what you saw in Zod. It seems like Snyder has no idea how villains work except that they should be BIGGER and ANGRIER than the hero. Zod was boring.

Giving Doomsday depth feels disingenuous. Trying to give Doomsday depth and failing feels like shitty writing. Just use an existing interesting character.

Unfortunately, none of Superman's actual nemeses fit into the grimdark Snyderverse vision of Superman. Oh well.

> Starro
I do want to see a dark invasion of the body snatches type take on him, but I think he would work a lot better in Mos2 as a threat Superman can't just punch his way through to be something different after Zod, DD & Steppenwolf all in a row.
The league however needs to be able to fight & kick as together and they can't do that if their opponents are possessed humans.

> Despero
Absolutely not, would just come off like a big pink gay version of Doomsday.

> Vandal Savage
Barbaric more generic motive having Ra's Al Ghul-lite.

>It's actually basically the exact same decision as with Avengers.
You know what was the first thing the Avengers ever did in the comics? They teamed up against Loki who was attacking New York.

No, you are. You don't understand why it's a mistake to cast doubt on Superman so early in his career--Superman, of all superheroes. You do not understand Superman as a character, and neither does Snyder.

It's like Herman Hesse all over again.

He wasn't cardboard at all.
Note in his trial scene he wasn't spouting absolutely selfagrandizing delusional promises like Stamp's Zod.
He was failing out in desperational horror for himself & his men.

>there is no depth

but there is and it IS being used to highlight that depth, how do you not see that?

Do you need me to repeat it

>Doomsday was explicitly a fail safe in the kryptonian dna to keep it pure, which is basically what Zod was doing to begin with. Zod said he would kill Superman and he ended up being right via Doomsday.

>Also him being made from Zod's corpse is Superman's mistake of killing Zod coming back to haunt him.

To make it even clearer for you, Zod killed Jor-El because he was trying to preserve the birthing matrix and Jor-El put it in clark and shot him off into space.

Zod's obsession with his racial purity is what ultimately led Superman to kill him.

Lex creates Doomsday by fucking with the genetics of the kryptonians and activating the genetic fail safe thus birthing Doomsday from Zod.

Zod's obsession with his racial purity ended up making him the least racially pure. As this abomination Doomsday he ended up killing the very thing that contained the genetic purity he was so desperate to protect, and the last hope for kryptonians as a species. He also acts as a ghost of Superman's mistake in killing Zod, where as this time he finds "another way" by sacrificing himself.

Also, how does it make it more self contained? If anything it gives it a thematic connection to the one that came before it.
And I was calling you a hipster because you are taking on these retarded internet opinions of "PARALLELS DONT MEANT NOTHING AT ALL" like a stupid rejection of mainstay literature.

Even the bible and torah uses parallels you mong.

bring it up with Jurgens, if it makes you feel better you can just call him Zod 2 or Mega Zod.

Not him but it's not a mistake.
It gives us something to identify with him about, his struggle, him working hard to earn his place. There is nothing antenthical about that to Superman.
Your asking the character to be perfect & be blindly loved from the absolute get go with no room for character development or relatablility.

What depth can be applied to his visible dick and balls on his model?

>A moment of growth that was completely unearned and felt utterly ingenuine.

I disagree. I think it was pretty earned, seeing as how the whole movie Luthor and Batman are trying to put Superman into "no win" situations, just like Zod was, and at the end Superman finds the third option he wasnt able to find with zod, the one where he sacrifices himself. And on top of that he puts a final stamp on the narrative the media has been spinning around him: he was just a man with extraordinary powers who was trying to do the right thing.

He's not talking about Doomsday user.
Think about it. Which famous Superman rogue is a clone created by Lex Luthor? One that Snyder might think is a bit too silly to put in?

I've got it! Nuclear Man!

>MoS seqel
Fucking what? Starro is the kind of thing that requires the entire league to put down, not to mention a Superman sequel would be better off with Metallo or Parasite
>Pink gay version of Doomsday
Casual
>Ras Al Ghul lite
Ras wishes he was Savage.

In short, glad you're not the man in charge

It doesnt feel disingenuous to me, it feels like exactly what an AU/adaptation should do. Taking whats come before it and building something new from the same pieces. And they didn't fail at it, I'm sorry you think so though.

>Unfortunately, none of Superman's actual nemeses fit into the grimdark Snyderverse vision of Superman. Oh well.

Its really not grimdark man, its full of hope. Things dont always turn out the best, but thats what hope is all about, maintaining it in the face of dispair. Sure Superman struggles with his hope, but dont we all? And he isnt edgy about it, he goes to a mountain top and basically meditates. And we dont get shit like people being tortured on screen like we do in Nolan bats or even on the CW.

but its not casting doubt on Superman, the end of BvS was literally about all that doubt of Superman being dispelled in the public's eye.

I mean, I'd be okay with a terrifying, vicious old woman with a grandma perm dressed in alien military uniform. They don't even have to call her by name.

You know it just occurred to me, Nicholas Cage would make a great Bizarro and we'll never get that, or the character in general. Fuck

What does Jurgens have to do with anything? It wasn't his idea to kill of Superman in the second DCEU film

but Doomsday wasnt a clone, he was just Zod's body genetically fucked with. You know, like Doomsday actually was: a kryptonain genetically fucked with.

You guys are dumb.

I mean, if we HAVE to start up Apokolips, there is a better place to begin...

and there is nothing inherently stupid about killing superman in his second movie appearance, thats the story they want to tell. In-universe he had two years of heroism between MoS and BvS.

Its just different, not bad.

Only if he has his metal as fuck DCAU origin.

Technically, he was a clone user. Doomsday was grown from the genetic material of both Zod and Luthor. You're acting like Lex mutated the corpse and somehow kickstarted it

Fucking Rainbow Raider is a better villain that Steppenwolf.
They couldn't just write a story around the existing characters already established in the movies?
There's a dozen potential conflicts that could arise from all of them flying around in the same movie world.

It would need to be a villain that challenges the League while simultaneously requiring no build-up.
Starro popping up out of the blue following BvS would be weird because he's the type of villain you ominously build-up to as a "something wicked this way comes" force in one movie and use as a sequel hook at the end.

> Doomsday was grown from the genetic material of both Zod and Luthor.
No.
>You're acting like Lex mutated the corpse and somehow kickstarted it

Thats exactly what happened. He tried to splice his DNA into Zod's. It was literally Zod's body mutated. Its a failsafe in the Kryptonian genetic coding so that if anyone tried to fuck with any of them genetically they would turn into monsters and wreck that person's shit.

How about all of them at the same time

youtube.com/watch?v=xsBBryVv06c

>I've identified the host as General Zod of Kandor

his body is literally being mutated into Doomsday by the birthing chamber.

Can they have pop-up introductions like in Suicide Squad?

>Doomsday
>Depth
>Snyder
What the fuck is this garbage, Snyder spent all the money he made tricking people to go to the cinema to hire a army of trolls to convince people his movies aren't shit?

What buildup do you need for Starro user?
>Batman or whoever starts noticing that high ranking officers/government officials are acting weird, sabotaging weapons, hiding data that a large object is approaching earth
>Confronting these people reveals star shaped parasites
>One or more of the league gets possessed by Starro, fight, remove parasite, "It...it called itself Starro"
>Huge ass Starro appears, invasion begins, maybe do pic related

>I dont have an argument but you are wrong!

sad really, I hope the 5 cents marvel pays you is worth it

It's not about how long Supes has been around in-universe, it's a matter of how long we, the viewer, have had to get acquainted with this iteration of the character.

Imagine how impacful it would be if they actually kill Cap in the MCU. That's because we've had 5 films to get to know him.

I consider myself relatively well-versed in DC stuff, and I had never even heard of Steppenwolf prior to hearing he was the villain in JL. Like, not only was I not familiar with him, I had never heard the fucking name before.

DC has an absolutely incredible cast of villains to choose from, and they go with someone that doesn't even qualify as D-list. In what universe is this acceptable? Are they fucking insane or just retarded?

My mistake then.

You should have at least heard of him from the Wacky Races episode of Brave and the Bold, but yeah, this is horseshit.

Man I fucking forgot how goofy Kalibak always looks.

>I consider myself relatively well-versed in DC stuff, and I had never even heard of Steppenwolf

He's a terrible choice for a main villain, but you really should have come across him at some point if you're that well versed in DC stuff.

Well, that's how we're doing stuff right now, isn't it?

Killing Superman might make him more human in the sense that he is mortal, but tit doesn't do much for his character. Superman: Kryptonite does a way better job of making Superman feel fallible and afraid without leaving the tone that makes the character endearing in the first place.

Killing Supes is just a classic Snyder move where he thinks compelling villains are ones that can beat the hero in a fight.

But that doesn't tie into anything that's been established in the previous movies. If these weren't part of a cinematic universe and were just standalone movies, then sure, you could have Starro in a one-and-done film. But in a CU, individual movies are meant to be installments that build on one another. To make Starro fit you'd have to retroactively add some spooky conspiracy stuff in either BvS or SS that points to possessed government officials or something.

>Never wears the mask
>Will Smith phoning it in
>"I dont kill women and children" assassin
>Didnt take the shot to kill Harley
What fucking horseshit. They must really want to hype up Deathstroke

I always thought it'd make for a good run to have a new Starro show up and be a good guy and join the Justice League International

>Make a comment
>People interpret it as a argument

Doomsday is a mindless killing machine, there is no depth to his character. It's basically the same as a "big beam in the sky that'll end the world", ALA MoS and Squid Squad.

They killed Superman off in his second movie for some really dumb reason. Why didn't he just give WW the spear or Batman or thrown the Spear, who knows. Apparently Snyder's superman is a fucking retard.

Snyder also destroying metropolis in his 1st movie, genius, fucking genius. Can't have a superman story without mindless destruction porn and thousands of off screen deaths! I'd allow it if it was in the 3rd movie, but the first movie... man...

Oh yeah gif related, doesn't save his father because MUH IDENTITY

You can't have interesting or creative threats or conflicts in a superhero blockbuster user.

Only armies that come out of a portal in the sky or big monsters that smash things.

user I think there would be enough ties considering that all these fucking characters are together. You dont need to tease the fuck out of Starro, you can use other things in the plot as jumping off points for bigger things. Moreover, Im getting sick of the over the head reference shit. I just want a good movie, and we cant have that apparently