Serious question

serious question

Who the hell likes Archie?

I've heard it described as "comfy" on this board before and I don't know if I buy that as being enough justification for it's 75 fucking years of media. You do not see "comfy" things with that kind of longevity, generally.

I have been in actual comic shops without a single piece of Archie book or piece of merchandise in a visible spot.

is this an American thing, like baseball? Or a white people thing, like Grease?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got double digests in the 80's for long road trips with the family just because they were thick and at the checkout stand. Afterlife with Archie is a whole other matter.

Slow down senpai. Baseball is popular in a lot of countries now. The only places that don't play it much are Europe (Netherlands do have a successful national team but that's because they have Caribbean islands that play) and Africa, but they aren't the entire world.

But back to the topic, I don't really get plain Archie either. Afterlife of Archie was good though, fun horror.

Archie has had some great talents associated with it over the years, but most have been overwhelmed and badly treated by a toxic corporate culture.

The rest of the comic book industry has carried Archie, talking it up despite its toxicity, as a means of proving we're not a superhero-only club - while simultaneously ignoring/suppressing all OTHER non-superhero comics.

(This means that funny animal comics and Asterix-type funny adventure comics are very popular everywhere BUT the USA. Even humor comics characters that blanket other media, like Tom and Jerry, Casper the Ghost and Uncle Scrooge, aren't really accepted in comics here anymore. Archie is plugged at their expense.)

There is good Archie, like good Scooby Doo, but it's awash in a sea of mediocrity, and depends on a tilted playing field that treats it better than it deserves.

>(This means that funny animal comics and Asterix-type funny adventure comics are very popular everywhere BUT the USA. Even humor comics characters that blanket other media, like Tom and Jerry, Casper the Ghost and Uncle Scrooge, aren't really accepted in comics here anymore. Archie is plugged at their expense.)

i would sacrifice an entire maternity ward to satan if it meant that the duck books got the respect they deserve

Archie is comfy enough that people will buy it at the checkout counter of the grocery store, next to the word searches and logic puzzles.

Archie gets its money from irregular readers, not regular readers

Archie's friends like him.

Golden-age Archie's pretty dope. It's filled with loads of cheesecake and sexual innuendo and can be really fun.

The book kinda has like a harem comedy vibe

It was the original Waifu Wars.

This. In America, Archie is literally the only comics brand you can buy at your local non-LCS retailers, because it didn't sign Diamond's satanic "direct market" contract. You get it to give your kid something to read, or for nostalgia's sake.

This. Archie and Jughead antics are fine and all, but looking at some DeCarlo-style B & V is what keeps people coming back.

>be a semi attractive ginger irl
>everyone makes fun of me
>meanwhile this dumb comic book fuck is showered in pussy

Archie is a testament to the fact that life will NEVER art.

Because Jughead is amazing.

Archie is a manwhore.

Archie ok. It's a comic book that you don't have to worry about. It's from the era when comic books were for children, for everyone. Nothing really bad happens. Just sit back and read. Enjoy. You remember having the ability to do that when reading a comic book, right?
The "new art" Archie isn't as good, visually, but some of it seems ok, storywise. Example, the running joke in Jughead's comics: "What are you doing with that sword?" But god, yes, if it isn't Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina, it should be done Dan Decarlo style.

Classic Archie is best Archie.

Eh, from what I've seen, Archie doesn't particularly have it that good in the comics either. A lot of times he's the butt of a joke, despite (or precisely because of) his good nature.

After all, people without souls are acceptable targets for being laughed at.

I like it. They're very simple stories with cheesy jokes that are sort of a time capsule for old American life. You get a lot of stories for your cash even though they're just recycling a lot of their old material and republishing them into small printed books.

They're usually sold at grocery stores or book stores. I'm more likely to find them in my local bookstore chain than anything cape related (that isn't a hardcover at least)

Please, call him Chick.

>le gingers have no soul may may

when will this meme end?

I'm not sure why it's stuck around so long. Maybe lack of much else about redheads in pop culture? There are plenty of redheads in books and comics, but most end up with some other hair colour in adaptations and redhaired characters in TV/movies are pretty rare (and male ones even rarer). It's made it weird seeing Riverdale retain all the redhaired characters (and there's also an additional one - Ethel, who had black hair in the comics).

Where's Jug?

Speaking of Ethel...

Marrying Betty.

Shit man, it IS a harem.
America has Betty or Veronica, Japan has Ryoko or Ayeka.

The difference is that Masaki Kajishima has a fetish and a pair of balls, so he had his protagonist marry them both, and then some.

And the correct answers are Midge and Washu.

Penny is the superior Archie girl.

Archie Comics: Corrupting American youth for 75 years.

Betty & Veronica is genuinely great, but the artist takes forever to finish an issue.

the ginger dynasty must be maintained

that's a funny way to spell Melody

>not Cheryl
How's it feel to be the biggest faggot in existence?

Cheryl is hoo-er

I can see the arguments for Betty and Veronica, but I could never understand the appeal of Cheryl, even if you're the kind of person that likes redheads.
But midge is tiny and cute, has brains enough for herself and Moose, and is absolutely loyal to him, for some reason.

>when will this meme end
>post pepe
uhuhuhu

my grandpa brings me an Archie digest everytime he visits

racism against Irish people is accepted and ingrained into our zeitgeist

Tenchi doesn't officially get any of the girls in the animes except kinda in Tenchi Muyo in Love where he possibly ends up with Ryoko. He does in other media that may or may not be canon marry and fuck all the girls.

I'm Australian. Read it as a kid and now I just read it on the toilet. I love Afterlife and I'm enjoying the show

We can only dream

I like Betty and Veronica.

These covers are the spice of my life.

This looks pretty fun, especially the waifu wars

Where to start?

I'd say it was a mostly caucasian child experience. Brutha's don't wanna know from that suburban mess. Later issues appealed to them more with the cross-overs, spoofs and weird stories like Afterlife. Otherwise, it was just too corny.

> fetish
> incest
> #SpaceAlabama

Just pick up any digest. Archie isn't serialised for the most part and you can start anywhere.

If it's Life With Archie or any of the horror comics, start with #1.

The only Archie I've like have been

Afterlife
Vs predator
Sharknato

Main Archie has never been my thing

I think you're missing the point. Wholesome girls drawn like pinups. Take a look at some of the artwork. Betty wears fishnets. They both sit on archies lap while wearing leotards and uggs.
If you really don't understand, you should read other things

What a coincidence. I'm actually starting another Classic Archie storytime in the next ten minutes or so. See you guys then...

Its popularity confuses me.

It's such a boring game.

Because its actually really quite fun to play and analyze. Nothing compares to the adrenaline rush of hitting a double, triple or home run and getting an RBI.

Besides that, I love playing the statistics game and planning for teams.

t. former team manager and player

Where should I start with Archie?

I'm from Bongistan so it was never popular here.

It was pretty solid before 1983.

Anything from the golden-age, but there is no real starting point. A number of the digests an collected books contain golden-age stories. This era had the sexiest art.

what if i told you irish isn't a race?

Thing about Archie is that it's mostly inoffensive which makes it sort of timeless. Disregarding pop culture references and advancing technology, they tell the same stories over and over...and they're at least somewhat relatable in a "I understand this trope" fashion. Even if you never go to prom, you can at least enjoy a story about a guy who can't go to prom because if he asks one girl, the other's going to make him pay for it.

The mascots are pretty cute

>tfw Ingsoc ruined Archie

I read Archie a lot growing up, and I still like it.

It's in the grocery store, right at the checkout. I see a Jughead Double Digest and I can't help but pick it up.

The meme friends like archie

There is nothing more comfy for me than an afternoon watching the local AAA team play, but they do have a pretty nice feild.

>other media that may or may not be canon
It's drawn and written by the only creator of the series that still gives a damn. Everything else that's come out of the doujins has become animated when he got the chance, and every other series he's been in charge of has had a harem end.
So why wouldn't the OVA continuity?

Celtic is.

Yeah but she's a great hoo-er

>He didn't give Cheryl the sticky maple
Goddammit.

>I have been in actual comic shops without a single piece of Archie book or piece of merchandise in a visible spot.

See that's your problem. Archie's fans don't really go into comic shops, but they can get Archie many other places.

When I was a kid in the 90s my younger sister loved Archie. The reason was every supermarket we went to always sold those Archie collections at the check-out. They were pretty cheap so my Mom would always buy them for my sister when she asked. She ended up with a huge number of them in her room.

I think Archie endures because of that: they're eternally re-printed and cheaply and easily available.

Has there been any recent Jughead double digest?

Get this Burmese Finger Puppet shit out of here.

Work at a grocery store, and I've never seen anyone pick any of the digests up, but they always change which issues are near the register.

I bet you like soccer though, the most boring game of all time. It's all subjective chief.

>but they always change which issues are near the register.

Because they sell out so fast.

>Who the hell likes Archie?
I like Archie.

Archie is funny as fuck honestly. Especially jughead.

I wanted to add, I think the reason my Mom let my sister read them, and why Archie survives, is because it's so pure and wholesome there's nothing a parent would object to a kid reading in them. And they're simple and friendly enough that kids will like them.

But I've never seen a single one get checked out. How can this be?

No one goes to your lane.

They can sense your black heart and only purchase Archie from pure cashiers.

When are your shifts usually?

2:30 until 11:00

>play soccer
>you have to put the ball in the other side with the game only stopping if the ball goes away or if there's an injury

>play other sports
>no you cant do this intuitive shit because muh rules

Why can't I just grab the soccer ball and run to the goal

What year(s) should I be looking at for golden age Archie?

The sport is called FOOTball, its intuitive that you use your feet.

It's fououtballe, ignorant Amerifat.

The sport was called "soccer", an abbreviation of "association football", to distinguish it from other forms of football games like ruby, since the 1880s. That term was used in the entire English-speaking world for nearly a century.

It wasn't until the late 1970s that "football" supplanted "soccer" as the accepted word, as "football" was preferred by the working and middle classes while "soccer" was used by the upper classes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

So America kept the patrician word for the sport while the rest of the English-speaking world was subsumed by idiot plebs.

Old Archie comics are for boring people.

Anything from like the 40's through 60's. 70's is stll good though, but the older the better.

>Nothing really bad happens. Just sit back and read. Enjoy.

Archie is the k-on of comics?