When did the Simpsons die? Was it really the Skinner episode or was it the movie?

When did the Simpsons die? Was it really the Skinner episode or was it the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HrkfXWPk_vo
deadhomersociety.com/2010/07/29/the-simpsons-movie-makes-baby-jesus-cry/
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It died way before the movie, whether it was the Skinner episode that killed it is debatable.

Skinner episode planted the seeds of destruction, but it was the panda episode that did the deed.

I nominate the Kid Rock episode.

>Skinner episode planted the seeds of destruction, but it was the panda episode that did the deed.

This user gets it.

I don't get it.

I've never watched the Simpsons, but would like to. What do I watch? Do I start at the start? When's he golden period?

There's an episode where Homer gets raped by a panda.

In my mind the movie was the ending.

It probably ended for real with that X-Files episode though. Once "blatant celebrity guest stars" became a thing in every other episode it was pretty much done with for me.

Lost ALL funny to me in 12 season

There's Funky Winkerbean! Over here, Funky!

Season 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, then stop and never watch it again.

it was Al Jean that destroyed The Simpsons

I rewatched most of the movie recently, I can't believe how bad it is. Was there a point to the stupid Lisa subplot?

>ctrl + f
>sneed
>0 results
disappointed in you Sup Forums

it was clearly after the sneed episode

I think one commonly cited exit point is the death of Flander's wife. I am a big fan of seasons 7, 8, 9. I actually think those episodes are the best, and I'm not seeing it through nostalgia glasses - I started watching the Simpsons later than that.

If you think about it, it's kind of rare for a show to peak in that period. So even though it's gone on for way too long, it still has that bit going for it.

>never getting to know Hank Scorpio in season 8

Most normies will say 5-10, but go for 2-7. Either way, 5-7 are crem dela crem.

I unironically liked the skinner episode

It was season 10 where it died

There are several subplots in the first act that are dropped or don't really go anywhere. The family moving to Alaska part felt like a late re-write (don't know if it was, just felt that way).

Hank Scorpio episode is overrated. It's fine though.

sneed

He gets fucked and sucked by a panda?

sneed

>he can't into lowkey sneedposting
See

sneed

Why?

sneed

Frank Crimes I was the last good episode

s5ep13
there is no other answer

The series was already irredeemably bad by the time the movie came out.

sneed

When it became a different real life person every sunday for a while

Halloween simpsons are good till much later. The intelligent house one was shit

When I see a Season 10 episode the jokes don't tend to land as much, the animation is different (in a bad way), and there's this whole surreal vibe that wasn't there before. I think it's around the time Homer turns into a dick too

>when you see it

also it ties in to what this user says, i think season 10 was when we stopped getting celebrity voices and started getting celebrity cameos

>the movie
how young are you?

like DIE-die? season 13. at that point there was nothing of value left

people are correct to shit on seasons 11 and 12, but those are infuriating because they can be unbelievably funny. they just made huge mistakes that fuck up an otherwise funny show. if all of season 11 was as good as "The Last Tap Dance In Springfield" and 12 as good as "Homer vs. Dignity" you would have two... not great seasons, but very good seasons roughly as good as season 10

When Lisa became a vegetarian

Season 10 and onwards have these weird musical cues that really irk me as well

youtube.com/watch?v=HrkfXWPk_vo

>season 10
jesus christ, can we pls implement age verification on this board?

ohohoho very humerous user, you sure got me! i'll be returning to reddit now, see you there

Are you retarded?

It was always shit

I wonder if they ever used that old man design again.

>tfw the movie came out over a decade ago
>tfw thought the season after would be the final one to finally tie everything up and end on a high note with the town recovering
>mfw a decade later

really retarded or just pretneding to be retarded? I don't even know th difference anymore.

i thought the movie was alright desu. a few shitty parts but for the most part it felt like classic simpsons to me.

1-8

>8

When everyone is on about "That Skinner episode" do you mean the one where he is 'Armin Tamzarian'?

After 2000 it just wasn’t the same

When Phil Hartman died

Yes

phil hatrman's death didn't kill the simpsons. it killed good television.

There's a lot of season 8 episodes I really don't like, like the one where Homer becomes the coach to the football team. He's already turned into asshole Homer in that episode

Correct, I know that youtube video essay that you snag all your opinions from told you otherwise but 8 is a great season.

I just rewatched Family Guy's first season and fuck is it kino or what?

also KOTH is golden all the way through how did they do it?

>Hack McFraudlane
>kino

yeah compared to his new shit it feels like a lot more whimsical and actually funny.

Why are seemingly unassuming lines like this funny and to so many people? It drives me nuts thinking about how good this show was.

Someone deconstruct it plz

creme de la creme
retarded anglo

Was this from an actual cartoon or made up for show?

It's a character from a comic strip with the same name.

For me? It first started to lose it in Lisa Gets an A. Not a terrible episode, but pretty weak.

The episode I remember going “hey, this shit isn’t funny anymore”? It was prime time, and I wanted to watch the simpsons for the first time in a year or two. Episode was “I’m spelling as fast as I can”, a Lisa spelling bee episode. I was 13 years old, and I had a moment wondering if it had ever been funny, or if I had just become a man.

This is literally the easiest thing in the world. 1-8 are kino, 9-11 is the hard decline in quality, being almost completely bad, and "Behind the Laughter" is the closest to a series finale we'll ever get, and everything 12+ is absolute irredeemable dogshit.

That's a season 9 episode. Season 9 is mostly bad, and has that god awful Skinner episode, but it does have some really good ones, like "The Cartridge Family" (the gun one) and "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson"

>Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
>No
>Ham?
>No
>Pork chops?
>Dad, those all come from the same animal.
>Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal

HOMR season 12 - Homer gets a crayon in the brain is funny, but the rot has set in by that point. Its started slipping into zany Family guy skits

I'm waiting for the episode where Lisa drops Buddhism because of the massacre of Muslims in Burma.

> it was the panda episode that did the deed.

formerly chucks

Always made me chuckle

I noticed this too, it has lots of crass humour that reminds of familyguy.
For example, Bart torments skinner with a nut making him do all kinds of gross stuff. When did Skinner have a nut allergy?
I don't want my kid watching that.

That was from the episode where Homer got raped by a panda though.

Why do people say the movie wasn't good?

Yes but even some those post season 8 episodes would have the rare sprinkle of classic Simpsons wit despite being shit overall

They hate fun

>ten years ago
>sitting in movie theater while trailers play
>simpsons movie trailer is playing
>"spider pig, spider pig ... does whatever a spider pig does"
>everyone in the theater laughs uncontrollably

fuck that movie

Dead Homer's Society summed up the movie pretty well. It was focus grouped to death, as a result some jokes do land but it's really a messy film

deadhomersociety.com/2010/07/29/the-simpsons-movie-makes-baby-jesus-cry/

>The result of all that bowing and scraping is a fractured movie. Scenes and characters were added and removed willy nilly such that the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Movie Goes Oops For example, halfway through the movie the family finds itself basically teleported to a carnival so Homer can ride a motorcycle in a big metal ball. Seconds prior to being at the carnival, they were holed up in a hotel room, hiding from a massive police manhunt. There’s no scene of them traveling to the carnival, nor is any reason given why they would want to go there. They’re in the hotel and then – poof – they’re at the carnival.

>While at the carnival, no mention is made of the police chasing them, nor are they at all concerned about being seen by a crowd. The entire story the movie was telling has been dropped so that Homer can ride a motorcycle. Why does Homer ride a motorcycle? Because he rides one at the end and they need to establish that motorcycle riding is something Homer can do. According to the commentary, they originally had no scene to establish that, and they crammed in the carnival as a patch job when somebody noticed. The next time we see the family, the police chase is back on and they’re once again running for their lives as though the carnival scene had never happened.

>Skinner episode
Didn't watch the simpsons since forever, could someone explain me why skinner episode was considered so bad?

>Skinner episode
The Skinner episode is pure pleb filter.

Actual comic strip. It's been around since the 70's, started out as a humor comic then gradually eased into drama and then went full blown drama by the 90's and 00's.

This comic strip actually came out the same year that episode was released, with the title character drunk and alone in the snow.

it ruined Skinner as a character for no reason.

This.

That part worked because of the setup of the situation. Bart pointed out how crappy the balloons are and Marge tried in vain to get them excited about the balloons by pointing to a semi-obscure comic strip character with a goofy name and an 80's mascot who looked goofy to begin with.

It's funnier if you know what the balloons represent, like for instance how fucked up Funky Winkerbean got the same year that episode was out (see ) or how the Noid hadn't been used for more than a decade at the time of the episode.

max power is the end for me

>Sneed-Ai (Formerly Chuck-Ai)

A Chuck falls in love with a Sneed.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the man's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls him, and is overjoyed to find out that he has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the male, he only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the boy he called is not the same boy he fell in love with. In fact, he doesn't exist in this universe at all. He is the bear's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the male's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of his crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of FEEDS and SEEDS.

Around when they switched to digital animation. It definitely killed the visual appeal of the show. It looks really half-assed and garbage in 2017

Already a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

>youtube
internets pleb

I was still pretty young when Simpsons went to shit, and I wasn't even really paying attention to what people were saying online about the show either. I just remember gradually just getting really bored of the new episodes and just decided that a new episode was too boring one day and decided to watch something else. I was still in middle school at the time, and would usually watch whatever crap was on too, so it's not like I had any real standards. Might've been around season 15.

as much fun as it is to derail a nice Simpsons thread, its nice when someone does it foe me,

yep, but for me it happened in 1996. goddamn i feel so old

this is true

seen a recent episode, out of curiosity, where they make a very risque joke about clerical sex abuse

it seemed so out of character for a show that for the last decade seemed to be written for children

ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us