What's the point of shipping? I've honestly never understood it

What's the point of shipping? I've honestly never understood it.
I'm not here to hurt feelings, I'm just curious.

C R E M A T O R I U M S

Fun and feels.

is this a jojo reference

For some people its a substitute for real relationships and human warmth in their own life.

For most people it just stems from a desire for interesting storylines or for your favorite character(s) to be happy.

All I know is everything shipping touches turns to shit
just like peggy

"I like this character."
"Ya know. Considering how this character I like is, they would be romantically compatible with this other character I like."
"If they got together, that'd be pretty cool."

This.

"I think otherwise."
"Fight me motherfucker, I'll fucking cut you."

THIS

>romantically compatible
This just means "masturbation fantasy", right?

Women enjoy matchmaking. Now, so do nu-males who are mentally female.

>What's the point of shipping?
I like shipping, it's fun. But I never understood the ass-pain of people who get so worked up over it and turn into anti-such-and-such pairing.

I just want to see my favorite characters fuck, that's it. It's a masturbation fantasy and there are other people that like what I like too.

Not really, or Atleast not all the time

Sometimes there are characters that make sense to be together but the show doesn't let them

Emotional Satisfaction, and/or Entertainment.

Basically what this guy said, but the motivation can be any combination of emotional investment in the characters / story, and just general shitting around for fun. Add a bit of tribalism and contrarianism, and you've got a shipping war on your hand.

When a character or story somehow touches you or somehow becomes alive and you become emotionally a bit invested in them and their story and start to care, a side effect of that can be that you also start hoping they'll find a good romantic partner. It's often not conscious, you just find yourself feeling that person x is the one for person y. Ship wars happen because people interpret characters differently and have differing ideas on who'd suit who best.

It's not about logic, the shipping feels just hit you out of the blue. I made it past 25 without ever shipping anything, then suddenly boom. You just feel it, you find yourself abroad the ship without knowing when you climbed onboard.

It's probably possible to tell a lot about a person based on who they ship over the years

>romantically compatible
>This just means "masturbation fantasy", right
Not at all to everyone. For some maybe. Some people apparently self insert into their ships, many others don't. People ship in wildly different ways and for a wide range of reasons

its actually about ethics in beach volleyball

It gives people an excuse to argue on the internet.

you also made it past 25 without ever having sex

If I'm being completely honest, in shows, books, games, etc. where the protagonist is kind of a cypher that I project myself on, I tend to ship them with the character who is most attractive to me.

>you also made it past 25 without ever having sex
Couple of months past 18, actually

I don't ship. I just anti-ship. I never voice my opinions on any given ship to anyone. But some shipping factions get annoying and I want to see them fail unless it would adversely affect my enjoyment of the story being told and the characters involved.
It's petty but I don't get in anyone's face about it. And it's never that big of a deal if certain factions prevail. So i figure it's fine.