It's pretty good. If you didn't like the first one I doubt you'll like it...

It's pretty good. If you didn't like the first one I doubt you'll like it, but it takes the original GOTG tone and constructs a more emotionally considered, meaningful story around it.

Give us a quick rundown.

i need some base line gasalt with that

all you need to know is that stan lee is a watcher

Not meming here.

good to know. will watch it somewhen

The day Stan Lee stops getting forced-ass cameos in MCU movies is a day I fucking long for.

We've known these for a while

The real upsetting thing is it's not the best MCU movie yet

They filmed like ten in strange's sanctorum apparently for when stan stops absorbing souls

Good

>Peter Quill has a real emotional arc
>Gamora has an actual character arc that doesn't involve her romance with Peter
>Drax is fucking hilarious, you can tell Bastista was working on his acting because every line out of him is gold
>Mantis is delightful
>Ego/Kurt Russel is great, his arc works within the context of the story
>Yondu gets all the best action beats and more screentime
>Rocket is Rocket
>The bifurcated structure actually lets the story breathe for the characters who need it while still giving us action scenes
>Music drops are better then the first
>The dramatic death actually totally works and feel earned
>Ben Browder cameo will get your Farscape boner hard

Meh

>Baby Groot is exactly what the trailer makes him look like. If you found that annoying it's not going to change your mind
>The David Hasselhoff jokes all hit like a lead pipe but that could just be me
>The first action scene is basically a huge joke, either that joke lands or it doesn't

Bad

>The move has one too many "break the drama with a joke" moments Not as bad as Doctor Strange, but still there
>Nebula feels like she's in a different movie, they have no idea what to do with her in the context of the story and her bits with Gamora feel like they're in a vacuum
>The third act the the most MCU-ass MCU third act ever, it's overblown and loud as boring as fuck, none of it works at all outside of the jokes
>All the stuff with The Sovereign(the gold people in the trailers) feels like bizarre sequel bait, I have no idea why they're in the movie so much after their first scenes.

So...

Do they reference and/or bring back Howard the duck in any way, shape, or form?

>Do they reference and/or bring back Howard the duck in any way, shape, or form?

Yes. He shows up and makes a duck pun in a bar.

>tfw He's just a watcher and not the OAA

Yeah, he has a cameo on some planet which has yellow hookers.

Nice, as a big fan it makes me pretty excited even though it sounds like just another small cameo.

Based Gunn, full on MCU Howard adaptation when?

Essentially, DUDE MOM FUCKED A PLANET LMAO

Is it "put it on my bill"?

So what's Stallone's role in the movie. Do the golden people and the evil Ravagers do anything noteworthy or are they just shuffled aside once Ego becomes a big deal?

How is Mantis? That's all I care about.

Yo, realtalk. James Gunn would probably be an awesome fit for a more comic accurate Howard the Duck adaptation, what with his Troma roots. I would legitimately love to see that, but it will literally never ever happen.

I just want a Howard the Duck movie in the MCU.
Man-Thing too

It's either "Once you go quack you never go back" or "Once you go duck you never go quack" I'm not sure which

>So what's Stallone's role in the movie

Stakar, leader of the Ravagers. He's got like two scenes.

> Do the golden people and the evil Ravagers do anything noteworthy or are they just shuffled aside once Ego becomes a big deal?

The golden people are a sequel-bait footnote and the evil Ravagers are the main villain for the half of the GOTG team that aren't on Ego. They're written out at the appropriate time in the story.

>Mantis

Great. Her bits with Drax are hilarious.

Is it true we get a reference to the original Guardians crew from the comics?

Scene 1
Ravager commander Stakar Ogord (Sylvester Stallone) assembles his old team: Aleta Ogord (Michelle Yeoh), Charlie-27 (Ving Rhames), Mainframe (voiced by Miley Cyrus) and Krugar for one last job.

>Scene 2
Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki) unveils to the Sovereigns her secret weapon to destroy the Guardians of the Galaxy: Adam Warlock, who is encased in his cocoon.

>Scene 3
Kraglin (Sean Gunn) attempts to use Yondu's (Michael Rooker) mechanical fin to telephatically control the Yara arrows, but loses his aim and accidentally hits Drax (Dave Bautista), who becomes livid.

>Scene 4
Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) playing videogames aboard the Milano.

>Scene 5.
Uatu (Stan Lee) reports to the other Watchers his time undercover as a FedEx agent on Earth. The other Watchers grow bored by the tale and leave an excited Uatu alone talking to himself

is cosmo in it?

Neat!

Yes. One of the post-credit bits and a little bit right before.

>Cosmo

Just a picture in the credits

Who dies? Ego?

Yes, but the dramatic hero death is Yondu

>Ben Browder cameo will get your Farscape boner hard
WHAT THE FRELL? YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING

I'm not famalam. He's doing his Peacekeeper "English" accent too.

Where did you get the idea that Stan lee is Uatu? He was just a dude in a spacesuit talking to the watchers

Gonna buy that goddamned ticket right now

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the Dark Souls of movies

What's the whole plot?

Do we get a live Celestial?

ego the living planet is star lord's dad, ego is a celestial, star lord is a half celestial and has the power to create things, turns out ego needs star lords celestial power to literally consume the universe, slord is like no dad pls, last third of the movie is them working to blow ego up and they do so and this also deprives slord of his immortal celestial power to maintain the status quo the end

Oh.

This is basically the quick as fuck rundown, but it's pretty good in execution.

>ego dies
Does he becomes a planet? Wasn't Kurt Russell and Stallone gonna do more movies for Marvel?

So we don't get to see a giant Kirby space-god?

I have no reason to watch the movie anymore.

>So we don't get to see a giant Kirby space-god?

You get to see the Ego planet-face, if that helps.

So it sucks then.

so was Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Oh, it still hurts

Honestly, if you read and liked any of the comics, these movies would be a stab in the dick to you.

I just got done reading Annihilation/Conquest and I couldn't even recognise Quill due to how serious he takes shit. He quips, but it's done in a way that fits. These movies are literally built on quips. I'm not saying everyone should shit on them, but they're definitely not for me. I think I'm done with live action capeshit now. Thor 3 looks visually nice, but idk, they may mess up Hela.

>What's the whole plot?

I'm not OP but:

GOTG are on Sovereign planet doing a job. They complete it and their payment is a captured Nebula. When they leave the Sovereign discover that rocket stole some batteries which are worth a fortune.

Sovereign go after the GOTG while Rocket and Quill fight over the pilot position. They're eventually saved by a random ship which blows up the Sovereign. The GOTG crash on a planet.

The ship from before lands, it's Ego and Mantis. Ego reveals himself and they talk overnight. Eventually Peter, Drax and Gamora go back to his home planet (Mantis bonds with Drax).

Meanwhile the Sovereign queen hires Yondu and his crew to capture the GOTG and bring back the batteries. Starhawk also shows up and reveals that Yondu broke the Ravager code. They don't take jobs involving children (when Yondu took Star-Lord).

The following day Peter and the others arrive on Ego's planet and learn about his history. He's a celestial. As time went on he took form as a brain. Then built a shell around him which became a planet. Then he made a bodily form to explore the universe. Peter learns he has Celestial powers like Ego.

Meanwhile the Ravagers show up and attempt to capture Rocket (who is looking after Groot and Nebula). Rocket defeats the Ravagers until Yondu shows up. Yondu shows reluctance to hand the GOTG over to the Sovereign so his crew turns on him. Nebula also frees herself and shoots Yondu and Rocket.

>Honestly, if you read and liked any of the comics, these movies would be a stab in the dick to you.

That argument will always be retarded. You can like these movies just like any other Elseworlds, feeling "betrayed" by an adaptation on the merit of fidelity to the source is a sucker's game.

If you want an accurate adaptation of GOTG just watch Farscape.

Taserface who led the mutiny against Yondu begins killing the Ravagers that sided with Yondu. Rocket, Groot and Yondu are kept prisoner. Nebula takes a ship and leaves. In captivity, Rocket and Yondu bond. Groot and Kraglin (Yondu's 2nd in command) help them escape. They also get a prototype finn for Yondu's head which is taller (looks kinda closer to his older comic one but not as 60's). They head to Ego to rescue Peter and the others. Before his death, Taserface contacts the sovereign fleet.

Nebula arrives at Ego's planet and tries to kill Gamora. Revealing that as kids Thanos would have them fight. The loser would have a body part replaced with cybernetics. Nebula always lost. Eventually through fighting they bond and form an uneasy truce. They also discover a graveyard full of bones.

Mantis and Drax bond and she starts to tell Drax about Ego's plan before Gamora interrupts and tries to force it out of her.

Ego reveals his plan to Peter. Ego has been planting seeds that will terraform various worlds, making them a part of him. But he needs more celestial power in order to complete his plan. Thus he went around impregnating women so they'd be born with his powers. Yondu would then collect them after birth and bring them to Ego. However none of them could harness the power correctly until Peter. The other children were killed (The bones Gamora and Nebula found).

Ego uses his power to control Peter as he continues telling his plan/story. When he gets to the part about Peter's mother though, it breaks the connection. Ego deliberatly caused Peter's mother to die.

Meanwhile Mantis tells what she knows of Ego's plan to Gamora, Drax and Nebula. Rocket, Yondu, Groot and Kraglin arrive and the Guardians reunite.

>That argument will always be retarded. You can like these movies just like any other Elseworlds, feeling "betrayed" by an adaptation on the merit of fidelity to the source is a sucker's game.
Yet people bitch about Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

The sovereign fleet shows up to kill/capture the Guardians. Mantis reveals to the team that if they want to defeat Ego they need to destory his core at the center of the planet.

They battle with the sovereign fleet while Groot plants a bomb. The guardians escape except for Peter (and Yondu) who fights Ego by becoming a Celestial Pac-Man. The bomb explodes and kills Ego, the planet collapses. Yondu sacrifices himself by giving the last oxygen suit to Peter and taking him as high as possible into space.

The Guardians (including Kraglin and Mantis) give Yondu a funeral. The other Ravager factions led by Starhawk among others arrive to pay their respects as Peter reflects on family. The Guardians (including Yondu) are his family now. Kraglin gives Peter a Zune with 300 songs which Yondu was keeping for a special occasion. Peter gives Kraglin the arrow that Yondu used.

Post Credit Scenes in order:
1 - Kraglin practices with the arrow and injured Drax.
2 - Starhawk summons his former teammates to steal something.
3 - The Sovereign Queen reveals her next plan to kill the Guardians. 'Adam'.
4 - Groot is now a messy teenager that just wants to play video games.
5 - Stan Lee talks to the Watchers.

>Yet people bitch about Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

People complained about BvS because it was shit. The Burton films are arguably even more unfaithful to the comics and people still love those.

BvS would still be shit even if you stripped out all the DC iconography and made it donut steels. If it was Dav Man v Night Man: Dawn of Friendship it would still be trash.

Ego really is a jackass.

He is, but they do a good job of seeding his arc throughout the film. You understand his loneliness and his frustration at essentially having to find his own purpose in the existence without a "father figure", basically a god left alone until he lost his mind and being so terrified at the idea that he might stay from his own "chosen path" that he would do something horrific to Peter's Mom.

MCU memes aside, he's a genuinely good villain. It helps that Kurt Russell is still the most charming man alive.

by becoming a Celestial Pac-Man

B R A V O G U N N

So Ego is the main villain of the movie, not Ayesha. Thought that it might happen but didn't expect them to actually do it.

fr*ck you that sounds AWESOME

What was this scene from Jimmy Kimmel about?

That screenshot is ego consuming all the planets he has "seeded", basically spreads goo over the surface so all planets will become a part of ego

Does Ego become the planet with the face? How does it look?

So...the Guardians head to Earth?

No, they kill ego and the goop stops

I really hope actual Celestials play a part in Infinity War

And let me guess, there's no indication that any Earth hero knows about this.

They acknowledged Farscape?

Sweet.

It appears to only happen in one small town, wherever star lord was conceived, and is barely able to consume part of the town before being stopped

Oh, though it would be on a bigger scale, then it's fine I guess.

Woah, Marvel has the rights to use The Watchers? Do you think they traded them with Fox along with other cosmic characters just like they did with Ego or the Fantastic Four property already came back to Marvel and we didn't know?

I've read a fuck ton of Cosmic including the Giffen/DnA comics when they came out and I still enjoyed the movie. These characters and concepts are oft reinvented (for better or worse) even within the comics. Gunn is no different. His is not an adaptation of DNA's GOTG, (that would be an impossible mess) but from the first glimpse we had I never expected it to be.

is Kraglin a guardian?

>a zune

So another outdated piece of tech?

i think that was the joke

You are such a stupid faggot.
You do realize that the shit you just read changes multiple characters, like Drax and Groot way more radically than any of the movies, right?
But I guess you won't complain about those ones.
Fuck you.

They really missed an opportunity to have some piece of modern pop music play and star lord go "what the hell" before switching to the track that actually played

Someone smarter than me could rewrite this pasta so it's some faggot complaining about DnA Drax not being true to the old one.

Shared rights. They probably can use the Watchers but not Uatu specifically.

Yep.

Isn't he an OC?

Did Gunn's brother win a bet with him or some shit?

>bitching about stan lee 3 second cameos
The contrarian MCU hate has gone too far. This is such a non-issue.

The Ego/Yondu twist sounds pretty uninspired honestly.

Isn't uatu fox?

pretty sure the twist is that he regularly murders his children/killed Peter's mom on purpose not that he's evil

I'd agree, should have skipped a bunch of shit like dubstep or scremo.

till the fact that it was a zune makes me twinge, it shows that his dad really did care and for years cared, maybe got Pete the zune years ago.

That is pretty heinous though. At any rate, I'm wondering if more of a Tron Legacy dynamic wouldn't have landed better.

Did the scene from Earth with the blue blob and cars flipping get cut?

nope its part of Ego's endgame plan that spans planets

>constructs a more emotionally considered, meaningful story around it.
>wah that literally who character died and it gave me them feels
There are no genuinely emotional capeshit flicks except for The Dark Knight and Logan.

>Logan

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

>>Peter Quill has a real emotional arc
>>Gamora has an actual character arc that doesn't involve her romance with Peter
Expand upon this my man.

>HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA posting
KYS yourself my man.

was there an actual romance with gamora and peter?

>The Dark Knight

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

What can you tell us about Mantis fighting skills?

>Nebula just leaves at the end
>Kraglin is the other new Guardian

not sure how I feel about this

Nebula has a pretty big part in IW, if they actually follow through with the comics.

Also confirmed that from the end of Vol. 2 to Infinity War, 4 years have passed.

Can somebody just describe to me the fuckery that is "Pac-Man" Star-Lord? Like, wtf is it?

>#5

Dreams have become reality

I think Peter and Ego essentially have a giant kaiju battle with cosmic avatars, where Ego just makes a large version of himself and Peter, being Peter, makes Pac-Man to fight him

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks user!

Fox does not own everything that ever appeared in a FF book.

Why the fuck can't you Sup Forumsretards understand this?

Yes. But it's just the genuine acknowledgement of romantic interest. They don't get together yet.

gamora actually likes him back? huh.