That Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture and Robert...

>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture and Robert Downey Jr. is an eccentric addict/quasi-running gag
>that Simpsons episode where a truck that drives itself is a novelty worthy of a third act twist
>that King of the Hill episode about MySpace

Things in cartoons that are really weirdly dated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hK6ov8yxZ7A
youtube.com/watch?v=cCduggS2gSQ&t=731s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the last two seasons of South Park

Every episode of Family Guy ever

modern simpsons is weird

>literally anything related to Bill Cosby

>Wiggum does weed
>thinks he can fly
Why do they do this?

Because the only thing old people know about pot comes from anti-drug ads and Reefer Madness.

South Park's gonna be dated no matter what considering how often they're referencing shit that literally happened that week or in recent memory. It's pretty much their central gimmick at this point rather than the byproduct of some really weird choices(e.g. the Mel Gibson Simpsons episode).

The episode where the Simpsons move to the "perfect" town and there's an establishing shot joke of the grade school and the entire joke is that a grade school has its own website.

>that Simpsons episode where Homer tries to find his soulmate and Marge finds him by deductive reasoning, not just calling his phone and asking him where, exactly, he is

>that Simpsons two-parter that opens the second part with a Dallas reference which was at the time almost exactly 9 years old and is now 31 years old

>that Simpsons episode about Itchy and Scratchy Land that ends with a gag about how nobody goes to the one in France, referencing Disneyland Paris's starting problems, which became literally outdated a year after its original broadcast

>that Simpsons episode where Grimey argues that Homer shouldn't have access to such a large house and be able to provide for his family on what he makes at the nuclear plant apparently ignorant of the trend towards easy credit or the potential benefits of borrowing against future earnings and using existing assets to secure the loan, a practice which has been increasingly common since the 1930s

>the Simpsons episode where the town buys a monorail but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years

>the Simpsons episode where the X-Files features heavily but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years and the X-Files went to shit in the 1990s

>the Simpsons episode where Homer's car ends up parked between the tower of the World Trade Center

That episode where the Simpsons couldn't afford cable and had to steal it.

Or basically anything where the Internet is a central plot point and not just something the characters casually use.

Remember when he was the only kid in town with a DVD player?

A school with its very own website? That's just crazy

>17 Times The Simpsons Did Not At All Predict the Future

youtube.com/watch?v=hK6ov8yxZ7A

>It was sponsored by that guy from Apple Computers...
>What computers?

This episode was good at least

So was Season 19, at least

Also, sort of a reverse here, in a recent episode Bart and Lisa come across non flat screen TVs and act entirely surprised at their existence

Homerpalooza is an interesting episode, because its dated, but still works thanks to the "it'll happen to you" quote.

Not Sup Forums, but in the Pokemon episode where Ash catches Krabby, he spends the rest of the first half searching for a phone to call Professor Oak.

One early episode of Arthur made a big deal about Muffy owning a cell phone.

That time on Futurama where they were playing an online game and the Professor told everyone to get off the internet so he could use the phone.

Pretty much any time video games are mentioned or seen
>Season 1- Atari/NES hybrid Punch Out knockoff
>Season 7- Very 4th gen Mortal Kombat knockoff
>Season 10- Very 5th gen Crash Bandicoot knockoff
>Season 18- Satire on MMOs, which have fallen completely out of style
>Season 21- Wii knockoff appears a few times

>pokemon go episode aleggedly happening
it never ends

I did not even look at the screen when I typed allegedly, yikes

>Modern
That episode came out like 15 years ago

BIG
BOB'S
BEEPERS

that's how fucking reality happened. in fact Gibson and Downey are pals, and Gibson paid Downey's insurance so he could keep acting after he got out of prison/rehab, and when Gibson fucked his life up with alcoholism and antisemitism Downey commented in an interview how their lives had oddly reversed.

>that time irl when my dad stole cable by climbing the pole and turning it on

>that time growing up when we had an illegal cable box my mom got from someone that worked at a cable company in almost exactly the same manner homer gets illegal cable, and the first thing we did was watch a ppv boxing match with Tyson in it.

shit was pretty accurate if your about the same age and economic class as Bart irl.

Some years back the UK had an ad telling people to call and ask for the coastguard if they see something wrong at sea.

In the original ad, an old couple see a man drowning and the man runs to the nearest phone box and calls the number.

In recent years they remade the ad and the guy just takes out his mobile immediately.

>We envy you Homer. All we have is our music, our legions of fans, our millions of dollars, and our youth.

>>that Simpsons episode where Grimey argues that Homer shouldn't have access to such a large house and be able to provide for his family

Grimes was more infuriated that someone as blatantly stupid as Homer had a much better life than someone like him who is brilliant but got passed up at almost every opportunity.

Which considering how the world is today was eerily prophetic

There was that episode where Bart and the rest of the town were all hyped up over Michael Jackson visiting, but in the episode where Bart sells his soul he thinks Michael Jackson is some made up thing.

I like to think that as each new episode airs, Matt Groening is sitting alone in a darkened room, drinking whiskey and staring at a loaded revolver, muttering about how it must end soon one way or another.

Matt Groening hasn't worked on the show since season 3 (1992). If you listen to the dvd commentaries on season 9 he bluntly states that its his first time watching the episodes.

When Marge became real estate agent and was mesmerized by a man using a wireless headset phone.

Doesn't the Johnny Cash coyote make fun of Homer for not having a computer in that lighthouse episode, too?

Yup.

"The Simpsons finally get a computer" has been a plot like, three times now.

>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture

He WAS just nominated for an Oscar and has several high=profile projects in the works.

Say what you want but the son of a bitch understands story structure.

Grimey was an asshole with a persecution complex. It's not enough that you have a hard life; you don't get reality weighted to account for all the times your own cynicism kept you from better things.

EVEN CHILDREN GET OLDER
I'M GETTING OLDER TOO

>in a recent episode Bart and Lisa come across non flat screen TVs and act entirely surprised at their existence

Just fucking kill this garbage show already.

I think you can still treat the internet as a central plot point. I sometimes think you could write an entire novel set entirely on the internet.

They still don't all have mobile phones in the Pokemon world.
It's not really dated when it's part of the setting to only have these phone/trade stations in bigger cities.

not all of south park gets dated

the old chinpokomon episode holds up i think after rewatching it when pokemon go came out

the new stuff just isn't as sharp

The entire episode is really dated.
Absolutely no one uses chat rooms anymore either.

The Simpsons are full of anachronisms. I mean they have a fucking clown as a major celebrity and host of a not ironic tv channel.

This one still isn't dated. Stealing other people's content and slapping it together as your own is still the most common thing people do.

that's not what dated means you fucking moron

Matt probably hates zombie Simpsons as much as anyone else but honestly, wouldn't you also just let the show continue because you're making a shitload of money by literally doing nothing?

How? They had a wristwatch phone in the second game.

Well, no one really needs them I guess.
And you could always just let one of your Pokemon deliver a message or something.

Una vela.

To be fair, those still trip me out

Frank Grimes did nothing wrong.

Kent Brockman news reporting in the style of Walter Cronkite is basically dead

The Chinpokomon episode was probably one of the worst episodes of the earlier seasons. With how many kids got into Pokemon after GO and how increasingly normal it is to see adults have some kind of merch it is, Matt and Trey are looking like old fuddie duddies with it now despite whatever message member berries were trying to convey.

>MMOs have fallen completely out of style
Stop saying bullshit.

I guess because for the first few years, they were actually making original stories, with a cultural reference about once or twice a year (eg, a Season 4 (2000) episode has the boys saving up for a Dreamcast, which got discontinued the following year).

Around Season 9, Matt and Trey started getting too far up their own asses about cultural events like Terry Shavio and fads like Guitar Hero, ironically ignoring the message of Chinpokomon.

Which one is still huge? FF14 ? WoW? The genre will probably die.

>that Simpsons episode about Itchy and Scratchy Land that ends with a gag about how nobody goes to the one in France, referencing Disneyland Paris's starting problems, which became literally outdated a year after its original broadcast

Euro Disneyland is still incredibly irrelevant. Really incredibly irrelevant. Literary no child here says "I want to go to disneyland" and outside of the occasional tv commercial running on the disney channel, no one really talks about it.

Dr.Bart, I'm 420

This gets funnier with every passing year

They still make the internet a central plot point, and because of the times we live in the episodes usually end up being pretty terrible.

There was an episode all about Homer getting an iPad and then having a philosophical crisis because he lost it. They also made a parody of The Social Network two years after the movie came out and even longer after the point when anyone who looked at Facebook like a novelty instead of a part of everyday life was out of touch.

That was a joke about Michael Jackson allegedly being a child molester.

When I was little I thought it was a joke about him being a werewolf/zombie because of the Thriller video. I was in preschool the first time I watched it and thought it was pretty scary.

For my pre-school graduation ceremony my class dressed up as zombies and danced to Thriller. I wish I had pictures/video of it. Life is fleeting :(

In the context of this being a fictional cartoon, the world was totally out to get him. His parents abandoned him at four, he never got to go to school because he had to work as a child delivery boy, he was injured in a silo explosion and a bird tried to steal his diploma.

He didn't miss out on better things because of his cynicism. He lost his chance at being Executive Vice President because Mr. Burns suddenly got infatuated with a dog and gave the position away. Then he saved Homer's life by slapping away the acid he was about to drink he got in trouble and got a huge paycut from Burns for burning a hole in the wall.

He's 100% entitled to feel persecuted.

The episode where everybody is freaked out by Homer deciding not go to church every Sunday.

>that Simpsons episode where no one cared who Homer was before he put on the mask

He was entitled to feel bitter, but all he got from that was bitterness. He envied Homer's honestly incredible life to the point that it drove him to insanity, but without thinking to reflect on Homer having worked for what he had, despite his stupidity.

That episode where Bart moons the American flag, and everybody treats him like shit and throws the family in jail in some weird parody of the Patriot Act.

>That episode where a feminist falsely accuses Homer of sexual assault and turns him into a pariah when nobody will listen to his account.

>remember the 10's when every single movie was either a reboot or sequel to an older popular movie
>and all the tv shows were either reboots or late sequels to older popular shows
>and all the games were either remasters or reboots
>I know what the fuck was wrong with the people back then
I think it'll age like all south park, a glimpse into life was back then.

Homer didn't work to get where he was though.

>That episode where Homer got thrown in jail as a political prisoner for kicking a giant mouse in the butt.

He only really started slacking when Lisa was around four, looking back at things.

You'd have to be near 90 to remember seeing Reefer Madness when it came out.

This is an odd one.
It's dated because of the whole Subway diet fad. Fuck Subway ads/product placements were everywhere back then.

But now there's the whole Jared being a paedophile thing. With Saille and Cosby there were rumours for years so would be sly jokes here and now in a show like this but no one really knew about Jared so this whole episode is poking fun at the subway ads and you're watching knowing there's a hidden layer of fuckery happening with this man.

Grimes worked his fingers to the bone and suffered from the day he left the womb and all it got him nothing. His problem isn't that he doesn't smile enough when he's getting shit on. Homer just coasts by on dumb luck and he has a life 100x better while being lazy and incompetent to the point of endangering the lives of the entire town thanks to his position in the power plant.

>I mean they have a fucking clown as a major celebrity and host of a not ironic tv channel.

I've never really been clear on what exactly Krusty is supposed be a parody of. I mean have there ever been clown celebrities that are TV hosts and also comedians?

Destiny was pretty big.

>episodes that were made years, if not decades before

>hey, this is no longer culturally relevant

gee i wonder why

Maybe Grimes' bitterness was holding him back from improving his quality of life? He's relatively young as well and just got his degree in an era when degrees were still worth something. Getting worked up about Homer's good fortune didn't do anybody any good.

That episode where Homer's scared shitless that John Waters will turn his son gay was weird. Especially after watching that King of the Hill episode where everybody's okay with Dale's dad being gay.

He's an amalgamation parody.

Started as a kid's show host like they had in the 70's and then they gradually had it where his off-stage personality was what Johnny Carson or David Letterman where like behind the scenes.

Next thing you know he just represents all of media/celebrity because Springfield is a small ass town

Like how Duff satires everything beer.

A lot if not most 90's tv that dealt with 'The gays' are extremely dated.

But I guess that's because they could only do so much without causing havoc with middle-america. You can only show a flaming stereotype in small bursts.

It takes tiny odd steps. Look out how in friends their were like 'gays are ok BUT IM NOT GAY OKAY, eww guy hugs' to some years later with Scrubs 'Bromances and guy love'

>Marge: Look, they're making a movie! Robert Downey, Jr. is shooting it out with the police.
>Bart: I don't see any cameras.
that was actually pretty good, me and my dad had a good laugh

I remember that gay marriage episode they hyped up, and not only did the gay character turn out to be somebody nobody liked (Patty), but if you showed it nowadays, reviewers would call it transphobic for refuting the idea that Patty's fiance could've been a transwoman.

Come on, you know that Grimes was explicitly designed to be a character who life treats unfairly in the most cartoonish ways. The episode wasn't trying to push a moral about how Grimes' problem was that he didn't smile a bit more when he was being fucked up the ass.

>>the Simpsons episode where the town buys a monorail but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years

If you're gonna go there...

It was about how a normal human cannot survive in the world of the Simpsons.

wait, oprah is dead?

wait mick jagger isn't dead

That's Isabel Sandford.
That's George Harrison.

>written by Democrats
>Democrats worship the Clinton family
>Chelsea says weed is dangerous
>Simpsons writers abandon the dude weed lmao belief and go back to promoting the myth of weed being dangerous

Don King is still alive, for some reason

Matt and Trey say they do regret some epiodes in hindsight. Like the whole Gary Condit and Jon Benet Ramsay one.

I applaud Matt and Trey for trying to keep Gary Condit in the news. At the time Chandra Levy's body was not yet found and after 9/11 it was gone from attention. It seemed like some congressman had his mistress snuffed, it was fucked up stuff. Now though, it's seems far more likely he had nothing to do with it. None of the information we have now was there.

FOOLS! red coyote cannot die!

The Oney Plays episode of Gex where they talk about South Park, its outdatedness, and other cartoon matters was a good chat.

youtube.com/watch?v=cCduggS2gSQ&t=731s