BR2049

You anons 'love' this movie, but don't ever say specifically what outside of the audio/visuals.

What makes it so profoundly great?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nsy7P48EL2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don’t think it’s the greatest movie ever, but I really liked how it told me things about its characters through its fight choreography. For example, when Gosling is staring down tons of motherfuckers in the scrap yard, he doesn’t go about dismantling them all Rambo style, he shoots a few really efficiently and breaks one of them over his knee. He doesn’t need to fight them all, his movements and actions make clear statements. All his actions have such intimidating subtext and they speaks to his intent.

These retards just like the flashy lights and hammer-over-the-head subtlety that french hack is known for.

>cyberpunk
>goose
>literal noire detective film
>slow paced with little amounts of action
>best audio/visuals to date

Movie of the fucking century

K is a great, very tragic protagonist. Flawed, hated but still capable. Possibly Goslings best acting of his career. His relationship with Joi was one of the better aspects of the movie, I think. It really begged the questions of what it means to be human and what true love is. We all know Joi is programmed to please K, but despite that there's instances in the film of what seems to be her acting out when it doesn't affect him. (Desperately crying for him to wake up; showing what appears to be jealousy when her ringer goes off as he interacts with Luv and Mariette.) Her going in for the kiss first in the holographic threesome despite following Mariettes every move beforehand was also interesting. I also picked up on a few minor details the second time I watched that I didn't before:
>In the memory flashback, K has hair, the others have shaved heads. In the orphanage, the girls have hair whilst the boys are all bald. This pretty much tells you right away that the chosen one isn't K
>The ashtray K turns around in the orphanage office has a horse carved into it
>At the end of the film before K dies, he opens his jacket not to check for blood (He clearly doesn't care about himself bleeding in previous parts of the movie ) but to see if Joi's emanator is there, showing he still loved her for what she is, despite her just being a program. He just wanted companionship.
Overall it's a very well made and put together movie, probably my favourite of this year.

Very well put.

waifus

I could write a whole essay trying to flesh out every single part of narrative, but really it all boils down to the fact that the film is genuinely a great emotionally investing experience, like most great films are.

>What makes it so profoundly great?
For me it was the storyline

It told me a movie of someone living in an oppressed world and not knowing exactly why that was. K had to find out his purpose and in doing so raised the question of what makes life life. It was really interesting to see this contradiction with the overall environment of the movie, in a dystonia society where the environment has collapsed. His loneliness and need for personal validation (no one ever said anything positive once, only the waifu) is taken up by his hologram gf and when she dies you can actually see his pain. When he finds out he might have actually been born to a replicant, you can see his programming melting down.

Contextually this movie was special, you just don't see that type of film from scifi anymore.

>tfw I saw A blade runner on the big screen
the booming drums as goose flies into LA and the sea wall scene will never be the same at home

perfect quality torrent when?

It's comfy, redpilled and based

Nothing. Sup Forums is always wrong.

For me it was just seeing the respect that Villaneuve had for PKD, you can really tell he understood what Androids was about. Everything in the film was carefully shot, nothing wasted. Genuinely one of the best Sci-fi films I've seen in years.

I really liked the focus on family and biblical allegory.

Wrong film Snyder kiddo

that feeling of lonliness, feeling of loss, feeling of being absolutely mediocre. ect ect. this movie has a soul past its visuals.

Basically this, cyberpunk is basically a mix of film noir and sci fi anyway and this movie nails that.

>stars The Autist
>who has holographic waifu
>easily digestable DUDE RUST AND NEON visuals from Dennis "I'm Nolan but without talent" Villememe
>flopped in box office

>Sup Forums loves it
Who would've thunk.

1. Captures the feel of the book better than BR
2. Lots of subtle world-building
3. Abundance of physical sets and models
4. The slow pace in the climate of current scifi
5. The nicely built-up and well fleshed-out characters and their relationships
6. CGI put to good/clever use rather than trying to replace reality
7. Paying homage to the videogame and the original BR script (the pot of soup and Stelline's room)
8. Robin Wright getting stabbed in the guts
9. Easter eggs like the "cells interlinked" + Pale Fire connection

I could go on. BR2049 is a precious flower in today's barren CGI science-fiction landscape.

Only the biggest ignorant plebs think that Nolan's and Villeneuves work is similar at all, their approach and execution is entirely different

-Amazing cinematography
-Unique visual style
-Eargasmic soundtrack (which is made even more impressive because this is Hanz Zimmer's first cyberpunk soundtrack)
-Rich storylines which elevate the pre-established themes from the original
-Ryan Gooseling is bae
-Harrison Ford delievers a very grounded and emotional performance
-Sylvia Hoeks is waifu-worthy as Luv
-Hologram waifu Ana-De-Arms plays a more integreal part of the story than you think
-Awesome production and costume design
-Hidden themes and meaning enrich the already great film
-Eyegasmic neon-aesthtics
-New vibrant orange and pale grey aesthetics
-Colour is used as a metaphor throughout the story
-Suprising twists
-Emotionally rich
-Not reliant on quips and a barrage of fast-paced action scenes
-Jared Leto pays his Suicide Squad dues as a blind asshole
-Flight To LAPD scene
-Sea Wall scene
-Ballroom scene
-Opening scene
-Great pacing

I JUST FUCKING LOVE THIS MOVIE. COMPARED TO WHAT WE GOT THIS YEAR, BR2049 IS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. I NEED THE BLU-RAY RIGHT NOW.

Not sure whether to consider this a problem or a feature but the plot had this kind of novelistic pace to it that made it kind of difficult to keep up with. It was great to get a lot of time with the characters but the way things "transitioned" was just irritating. Felt like every time you got to start to take a deep dive into someone's story something else would pull you out.

That's why I want this film to remain in cinemas. Much like Dunkirk and Gravity, there are certain films that can really only be experienced properly in cinemas. It's a shame that it's not playing anymore.

I've never seen a movie that was more less than the sum of its parts than BR2049.

It told a good, pretty consistent story. For modern Hollywood, that alone is almost unparalleled.

It is way worse than the original. Has some disjointed atmosphere mainly because he uses too much light in some scenes. Harrison Ford sucks big fuckin time. That's no Deckard. Wallace is a fag while Tyrell had more motivation than muh fame und money. Tyrell was in search of perfection and that is another thing that makes the original so dreamy and right and a masterpiece. BR2049 also has some more annoying stupid shit in terms of plot. Like the replicant children, the bullshit Wallace said to Deckard about Rachel and maybe some more.
BUT, the atmosphere is mostly ok, even with its bullshit lighting in some scenes. Gossling acting is awesome in this movie. And the plot has some interesting twists.

have you tried lurking more instead of baiting like a newfag?

>Rich storylines which elevate the pre-established themes from the original
It doesn't elevate anything. In fact it takes away the mystery.

is there a nice rip out yet?

downloaded one yesterday and it was garbage

>sci fi landscape

We didn't even get any good sci fi movies for years that's also why this movie is special.

The sounds of the guns was well worth the cost of seeing it in a cinema.

Glorious piece of audio.

ohhh, didn't notice that last part, good eye user

I love the way how he shot also, two extremely fast consecutive shots into a single target everytime, nailed that half android half human execution.

yea i loved the fights as well. K is no nonsense and efficient like youd expect a hunter killer replicant like him to be. he also double taps everyone he shoots to make sure they get put down. K doesnt fuck around, until the end when he strangles Luv. she made it personal, and so he doesnt just kill her, he makes her suffer

I thought this movie was pretty flawed and a bit of a slog but I loved it nonetheless.

Yeah I loved short bursts of action

>so profoundly great
It's not. It's a good above average movie, but hardly a masterpiece. Stands out mostly because everything else is so shit lately, not because of some extraordinary intrinsic merit. In my opinion.

The movie sucked. Watched the original for the first time just before seeing this turd. 2049 completely missed the point and was pretty fucking boring. It was just another souless reboot and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fucking retard.

>but don't ever say specifically what
Bullshit.

i also prefer capeshit and nuwars

>specifically what outside of the audio/visuals.
The Goose obviously.

t. retard

>missed the point
The sequel isn't even trying to have the same "point", why even make a sequel then? The original makes you question what is the difference between a replicant and a human, while this just simply asks you "Does it matter?" Does it matter if you are programmed or born, does it matter if the love you're experiencing is programmed or not etc
It expands on all narratives of the original

>fucking boring
"Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever. Not to mention that you can make the same braindead comment on the original while you're at it

It's a meditative reflection on the human condition while also being a masterpiece of cinema.
I'm convinced only a complete and utter pleb could dislike it.

>outside of the audio/visuals.
What is there besides the audio and the visuals in film?

this

> immediately 3 retards who also missed the point of the first movie post.
top kek

The first movie explored interesting existential questions centering around a main character in a morally ambiguous role, creating a fantastic Sci-Fi setting around it. Characters were compelling. The plot was suspenseful. It was paced reasonably well. Everything served a purpose.

The most compelling existential arguments raised by 2049 were ripped straight out of the movie 'Her,' which wasn't even that interesting to begin with. The dumb shit with the baby essentially equates to clones and artificial wombs which is barely even science fiction, let alone some future 'miracle.' The environments were dull overclean CG, which while giving nods to the original completely lost the intent. I couldn't even make myself care for any of the characters, many of which had little to no substance. Some shoehorned in shit about viva la resistance.

The whole thing was just a poorly thought out mess with no soul. If you faggots really liked it, I guess all I have to say is 'Ignorance is bliss.'

But hey mang, Harrison Ford shootout in Vegas!

>Dull overclean CG
THEY BUILT EVERYTHING

the LAPD, Spinner, wallaces place, the statues in the radioactive zone everything pretty much, he even scanned ana de armas and projected her body for the pink hologram scene even the water at the end was a wave machine they had built

This is a set photo

Not only did you show yourself to be a moron in your post, you revealed how clueless you are by your complete misunderstanding of the original BR.
You played yourself, what's the next step in your master plan?

youtu.be/nsy7P48EL2o

Yup. Gosling’s performance was underrated as hell too. Guy plays a tormented soul really well.

I don’t think there’s ever been an actor who shows so much pain and tells a story through the eyes. Based.

Another set photo

It was meant to be a dull wasteland post blackout like they said and if you watched the shorts you would know that also.

The original was meant to be cluttered and claustrophobic and it was enhanced because the filmed it all in one backlot repurposing a lot of it the sets

My audience had a lot of women and you could hear them feeling for K when he found the horse

I wondered why the effects looked so good.

>movie explored interesting existential questions centering around a main character in a morally ambiguous role, creating a fantastic Sci-Fi setting around it. Characters were compelling. The plot was suspenseful. It was paced reasonably well. Everything served a purpose.
Are you by any chance talking about Blade Runner 2049 here?

It's a feeling.

No. We are talking about Love, Actually.

So the fact they actually went the practical effects route and it still looked lifeless and boring comparitively is supposed to redeem your position somehow?

lol k

I mean, don't get me wrong. I am impressed that they were able to make something so dull and lifeless that i thought it was CG, but you are actually digging yourself a hole here.

> nou + banepost
lol neck yourself, retard

If he was trying to play someone who can't hold an audiences interest, bravo. He deserves the oscar.

It's hard to explain.

That Waifu love is so pure that robots will go against their programming for their waifu

do you long for 2D to be real INTERLINKED

why did they even have a boom mic if there was just soundtrack and footsteps, which would've been foley sound effects right?

>So the fact they actually went the practical effects route and it still looked lifeless and boring comparitively is supposed to redeem your position somehow?

So the fact that you think that every film should be a vibrant colorful alive action fest regardless of it's narrative is supposed to not to make your opinion entirely embarassing and utterly dumb?

The "lifeless" visuals are the entire point, to show the bleak empty future after the blackout where nature is practically non existent that is in contrast with the dense, dirty, alive and cluttered setting of the original. The original was mostly filmed at night, this was mostly filmed in a day.

It would make no sense for this film to look extremely colorful and dense, it would make no sense to fill the streets with thousands of extras, it would make no sense to shoot it on grainy film, it would make no sense to make it seem "alive" when everything in it is basically dead.
It's sad that you are comparing visuals of films just by looking at which looks move "nice" or "epic" to you without zero context of the narrative.

>Lifeless and boring comparatively
Yes that was the point? It was meant to look like that they make a point of it in the movie aswell, like the dead tree, the wood is worth a lot to doc badger, yet wallace has a place full of wood and water surrounding him, K has water at home as if its some luxury alcohol, the unexpected growth of a sunflower, farming larvae for protein, comparing wallaces clean and plentiful place to the the wasteland he visits with the orphanage scavenging for parts, the fact that every male had their head shaved to save on water, all the leveled buildings at he start.

It's almost like you didn't realise there was a blackout between the two movies

This

> Post apocalyptic version of a cyberpunk dystopia.
> less cluttered

Fucking brilliant, fampai.

It subverts the millennial "you're special" trope and is melancholic in ways high budget films almost never are

It depended on the location, wallace is very clean, wasteland is very cluttered. They obviously had a small section of the city cleaned you even saw the machine cleaning around his apartment and where he was eating but the surrounding areas are barren wasteland like pic related, radioactive zone or have a flood defense

Did you see the opening shot of the farms? Wallace has taken over to some extent

> being more lifeless and boring was the point
Well, I guess the movie intended to be retarded, then.

> muh blackout
Was a bullshit offscreen plot device that makes little practical or scientific sense but you just roll your eyes and accept because it is just a movie. A shitty souless movie.

>It subverts the millennial "you're special" trope
>t. tripfag on an anonymous imageboard

Like they said most people went off-world and wallace took over since the blackout which led to his supremacy on earth it's one of the core aspects of worldbuilding in this movie.

Funny how you use MUH BLACKOUT when it's explained mind explaining to me why you care about "scientific sense" in the blade runner universe which doesn't follow our rules at all.

>user get's completely BTFO on literally every point he made in the previous post
>'ugmmm yea it's retarded and bad lmao"
Nice mental midget non argument defense system right there, it's not embarassing at all

It's one of the better movies in the genre, but people touting it as "le deep philosophical masterpiece" should be gassed.

The practical sense is the more relevant part. Scientific sense matters because the whole premise is hard to buy, but like I said you just accept it. Outlandish tech is one thing, but when you present a doomsday scenario that our current society would survive, suspension of disbelief becomes forced. That is no bueno.

>but when you present a doomsday scenario that our current society would survive, suspension of disbelief becomes forced.
Good thing it's not an exact portrayal of our current society, but the society from the original BR

>The most compelling existential arguments raised by 2049 were ripped straight out of the movie 'Her'
This is such a superficial comparison, just because both films feature an AI love interest who is engineered to say exactly what you want to hear doesn't mean they're making the same philosophical point. Her is more dystopian in its vision by showing that what awaits humanity is death and disintegration while the AIs accend into immortality. 2049 blurs the line between human and synth by showing how both are subject to cultural conditioning/programming, but can ultimately break out of it if they strive to make choices that aren't guided by external motivations, IE, if they reject the false dichotomy between submission and rebellion by dictating their own potential.

CELLS WITHIN CELLS

it's the final film you can call an experience for a long long time.

While you do have a point there, the general idea with science fiction is that society has moved forward. If people have gimped themselves with technolpgy somehow, that is something a competent story would show, not tell. You've demonstrated 2049 went out of its way to show the aftermath, but they certainly did not show how this premise even remotely makes sense.

user, they literally ripped off the surrogate love scene from Her. Fuck off with this relativist bullshit.

You could say the same for the original this is such a non criticism more of a nitpick

In what way is it a reboot?

>user gets BTFO about use/lack of cgi
>See! Proves I'm right!
Embarrassing.

>a story about an artificial consciousness created solely to serve as a tool to humans transcending externally imposed existential purposes and engaging in self-actualization
>hur dur they're not the same
Literal retard.

Only issue I had with 2049 was casting blacks instead of east asians as the minor characters with dialogue to stay true to the world in the Blade Runner world.

Yes, and executed it ten times more emotionally engaging with the scene ending up being one of the best scenes of the film, while in Her it's executed entirely cheesy and comes off so flat that literally no one ever even talks about that scene when talking about Her, which certainly isn't the case with BR2049

East asians moved off world, now only the lowest scum is left om Earth

The concept is similar, the execution isn't

What happened to all those Ama statues after the movie was done? I want to have one in my home

>it's not the exact same film
No shit, Sherlock.
>the execution
Yeah, except we're talking about the core themes, you illiterate nigger.

Benedict Wong was in 2036: Nexus Dawn. Would have preferred to have seen him in 2049 instead as one of the minor characters.

I like Ryan Gosling's performance.