Were the quips and humour necessarily it killed every scene that the viewer was meant to take seriously

Were the quips and humour necessarily it killed every scene that the viewer was meant to take seriously.

I blame Joss Whedon

Star Wars always had quips. You're just memeing.

Yes, but quips were never used to pull the rug out from under an otherwise dramatic or emotional scene. The problem isn't the humor in and of itself. The problem is the way the humor is used.

DUDE GENERAL HUGS LMAO
GET IT
NOT HUX BUT HUGS
LMAO!!

without quips and humor its just three hours of the resistance getting slaughtered

Yeah everyone remembers that epic one liner Luke pulled when he was fighting with Darth Vader.

>anime always was full of moeshit!
>SW always was a superhero quipshow!
Quotes for the ages

>anime always was full of moeshit
Wasn't it?

These

To elaborate, it's the Disney Marvel quip formula they bring to it.

Rule #1: There can never, ever be a serious or emotional moment without a quip immediately afterwards to lighten the mood

It's like just when I'm about to get emotionally invested in a movie I have to sit through and audience clap and laugh session

Somehow TFA managed to get the humour right. It was never out of place and the quips werent out of character.

Nope. First joke of the film from poe when he was captured ruined a dramatic and tense moment, wasn t even funny

It was still in character. Poe is supposed to be this manchild who can't be serious even for a moment and acts in the moment.That joke also builds character for Kylo since he shuts Poe's mouth immediately. I still wont forgive the pun Vader makes in rogue one though.

Every Disney movie has to be smothered in post-modernism. On their insistence. They know that if you were to strip away all the humour and kitschy self-awareness, and judge their movies on their own merit, they don't hold up. So they turn all their films into comedies. Dumb fucking audiences come out thinking, "well it wasn't that interesting, but I laughed a couple times, it made references I understood and I liked all the bright colours, 10/10!".

Force awakens was also full of autistic quips.

Don't get me wrong, the original star wars films had funny moments but it wasn't as forced.

The new films are also scared to have any "quiet" moments where you're not bombarded with action or music or jokes

The humour in the OT formed organically from droid behaviour and Harrison Ford being effortlessly charming. TLJ is full of quips and funny set pieces thought up before hand, and periodically placed throughout the film regardless of the tone, context of the scenes, or the characters involved.

Yeah right, Lor san tekka is lying dead next to him and the village is about to be slaughtered. Let's quip and stay in character. All the quips and jokes in TFA were a disaster. apparently Rian Johnson doubled down on this shit because the manchildren like you loved it

The unnecessary humour in that movie too was noted by many critics.

This movie is far overboard compared to TFA though.

This happaned because almost every single character is comedy relief/witty. Han, Finn, BB-8, Poe, Chewie(maybe), Stormtroopers, half of the alien background characters

Honestly chewie is normal compared to the rabid meme spewers most of the characters are

Holy shit I just remembered the "le plug one hole and another one starts leaking xd" joke. Its so overused in cartoons its pretty much considered a cliche at this point.

this dude looks like james cameron's autistic son

I always love these threads because it's 500 pots of autistic shitters changing the definition of what a joke or quip is or just going "IT'S NOT THE SAME" when people mention the OT had plenty of jokes.

It's kind of amazing, just endless posts of moving the goalposts about what a "quip" is.

I'm not against having jokes in SW.
I am however against their systematic use in dramatic moments.
these guys get it

Han Solo: I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur.
Luke: There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know.
Han Solo: You're going to die here, you know. Convenient.

This is on their way to the Sarlacc pit. Han Solo in the old trilogy quipped all the time.

>shuts poes mouth immediately
i dont remember that, i remember his pausing for audience laughter

Name a quip that isn't from Return of the Jedi.

Not all the time. That's my point.
And even if he did, that would be one character, not... almost all of them.