European Comics Thread

How're you coming along on those scrumptious European comics? You've BEEN reading them, right?
Checked out the Valerian books before the film arrives? Compared powerlevels with Obelix? Everyone is welcome in the European Comics Thread.

N-Not like I wanted to discuss fun comics on this capeshit board, anyway...!

Asterix, Gaston LaGaffe, TinTin, Schtroumpfs and Lucky Luke Master Race

Read every single Asterix.

It's a pity how little they get discussed, they're brilliant.

Yeah, it really stinks. That's why I made this thread, it's been a while since I saw a Euro comic thread.

Favourite Asterix book?

Ameriburger here

Asterix was always good.

I loved that shit as a kid.

how are the Uderzo-only books?

mixed bag from what I hear.
some hate them, some dont mind, but IMO, its clear it was the duo that made it work

Yeah, this is accurate.

Anyone read Spirou, by the way? Would really like to get into that.

>Asterix

Uderzo turned him into an empty hull ever since Goscinny died.

>Franquin era
GOAT
>Fournier/Cauvin eras
Meh.
>Tome & Janry era
Bretty good.
>after that
Never gave it a read.

Cool, thanks.
I have, from my dad, one I think is called "Who can stop Cyanida" or something like that, not in English so I'm not 100% sure, is it a good one to start with, since I already own it?

I'd say it's only okay (although I haven't read it in a long time) but at least it doesn't rely on much prior knowledge of the series iirc so it's a fine start.

Cool, I'll dig it up then.

I also have a bunch of Adele books, anyone read them? I really dig the artstyle and setting in them, fine as hell.

Hmm

Hmmmm

Good question.

Maybe the Switzerland one, because it was my first.Yours?

You have excellent taste.
Switzerland is my favourite aswell, along with probably 'the Laurel Wreath' and 'the Normans.'

>Checked out the Valerian books before the film arrives?
Yep, that's exactly what i have been doing, first couple were a bit weak, but Ambassador of the Shadows onward has been great.

Awesome, do you think the film will be any good? I have semi-high hopes for it, more because I don't want stuff to get ruined.

When's the last time Besson made a good movie?

I mean yeah, but this is supposedly something he's been trying to make for 20 years, so I'd like to imagine it being made with some love, at least.

>I'm in a hole, eating holes
BWAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

You can tell he made the Arthur and the Minimoys movies with love, that didn't save them.

I really want it to be good, i he does seems to care the source material, but at the same time it seems to make it into a sci-fi epic, which is not really what Valerian is.
Also based on the second trailer i get the impression that the movie will be based in Ambassador of the Shadows, which is mainly a Laureline story and ends up with a big anti-climax, which i'm not sure a big budget movie can afford to pull.

>Favourite Asterix book?
Legionary.

The first few aren't bad.
The next bunch are forgettable.
The last one was a train wreck.

We need more Dylan Dog translations

Le tour de gaule d'Astérix
(I read it in french, I call them by the original titles)

I really liked Asterix and the Bretons
>hot water with milk
>boiled boar

That file name though. Not saying it's not true, just surprised.

>after that
>Never gave it a read.

Let me help you out with that.
>Morvan & Munuera era
Utter drivel
>Yoann & Vehlmann era (so far)
3rd best era after Franquin / Tome & Janry eras

Yes, Adele is great.
If you like Tardis' art, I strongyl suggest to get his historic comics about ww1.