The run of Grant Morrison in Animal Man is one of the best superhero runs ever written?

The run of Grant Morrison in Animal Man is one of the best superhero runs ever written?

Did you just add a question mark to a statement?

i didnt like it, and i really dont like grant morrison books.

but we're all free to enjoy whatever

It took Morrison his entire run to do what Moore did in one issue with Swamp Thing.

But it was a fine book.

but swamp thing isn't a superhero comic book. yeah, swamp thing is really a superlative run, but has no point of comparison with a-man.

Swamp Thing knows he is a comic character?

>Green Lantern
>Booster Gold
Why'd he get the same autograph twice?

it was my favorite Grant Morrison runs on a comic.

All Star Superman is up there too....didnt like the ending as much as Animal Man's though.

Shame the art's so shit. Getting Bolland to do covers was a mistake, it only highlights how garbage the interiors are.

I like Doom Patrol better

The coyote story is one of my favorites from the run, but then again the entire run was pretty great.

no

Coyote Gospel is probably in my all time top ten comics.

It's one of the ones I've most enjoyed reading at least.

Him as a husband and father was probably my favorite part.

Not to my taste, it's cool you grooved on it so much OP, though.

My brain can't seem to comprehend Morrison's writing. It's like I have a mental block against Morrison.

I always have to re-read every single thing he writes.

I do enjoy his writing though! Anybody else have this problem with certain writers? Like somehow the flow is off or something.

Re-reading is the key to morrison. his work is so dense you always miss stuff on the first read. Do you know how many times I've read The Invisibles?

I do experience that a lot with Morrison, but Animal Man to me was very straightforward. From him Flash (though it was a collab) and Batman and Robin were also easy to understand.

Those bitches, I swear.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just thought I'm just that retarded. I might still be retarded but what ever.

Never had this problem with Alan Moore though. I guess they are just different writers.

I do have the same problem with Moore sometimes. Different styles will work better for different readers I guess.

It has a lot of mediocre issues that Sup Forums likes to ignore

its up there.
I'm particularly fond of the point it makes that making capeshit grimdark just so it resembles reality defeats the point of making capeshit heroic and triumphant in the first place

its a running theme in most of Grant's DC work but I think AM did it best

The omnibus is really looking expensive, is it still worth getting?

>Morrison yet again says that capes should be fun, straight forward, and light-hearted by making comics that are dark, meta, and with complex narratives and obscure symbols

The point's fine when he made it in Coyote Gospel, but when Grant shows up to spell out the message at the end it's the same thing but the for dummies verion

the irony is not lost on him

Morrison is the Oliver Stone of comic books.

did it go out of print?
from what I remember it's literally just the issues, no concept art of interviews or anything like that, but it does collect the whole story if you want that

Full of shit?

I read Coyote Gospel and didn't really get it.

>It took Morrison his entire run to do what Moore did in one issue with Swamp Thing

I like Swamp Thing better but I don't see how this statement is true.

Yes, but more because Morrison's comics, like Stone's movies, end up glorifying the things they're supposed to be criticizing.

>tfw I just finished this run
Okay I get the point he was making but Jesus that final issue was cringy

I actually liked the art.
>25 years ago, be at a comic con.
>Get Chaz Truog to sign Animal Man #5
>Chaz was a total dick.

A shame.

Fictional characters suffer for your amusement because you enjoy violence, you should feel bad for them and want stories that are happy

I felt that way about some of Seven Soldiers but for the most part, no. It does help to reread the stuff though, because he loves to develop through detail.

It is good, and unusual as an example of successful storytelling at this level of meta (as far as comics go, only 1/0 beats it at meta). But Morrison's run on Animal Man also comes off as pleased with itself, especially towards the end. It starts to feel as if Morrison is saying "Look what I can do! Yep, pulled that off." to you, the reader. It was definitely a product of its era. With today's instant Internet feedback there is a good chance it would have been panned.

I always think that this is the entire point of animal man and multiversity. Animal man explains that comic book characters are only fictional characters, subordinated to an author who controls them, and also deconstructs the superhero in his ficcional reality.

The superhero genre, in postmodernity, isn't a interesting genre, and is obsolete because words like "truth", "justice", "good" (traditional values of superheros) aren't objective concepts. Watchmen explores that in a very realistic way, whilst Animal Man explores that in a very fictional way, accepting that fictionals characters are in the way that the writer desires. Animal Man is a very postmodern comic book because Morrison explicitly states that obscure and complex elements in a very modern genre aren't necessary. that's the reason because for Morrison, SUPERHERO COMICS (this distinction is important) should only be fun. Superheroes were born like people with incorruptible, extremely good moral and sense of justice, but that type of characters were important and contingent in the silver age, not in postmodernity.

For Me, Animal Man and Watchmen are like a climax in the superhero genre. Not because they are very good written comics (Animal Man has a superior quality but there exists other comic books "more well written" like the JLA run from Morrison, The Flash by Waid, Daredevil by Miller), it's because they analize an deconstruct the superhero tropes in a way that no one has made it until our days.

Multiversity to me is a bit different to a lot of his work. It's about the dangers of being a rabid fanboy who misses the overall message while most of his stuff is about how good the message is.

He thought they were Aquaman

I like the blonde girls shirt.

>comes off as pleased with itself
to me it came across more of the jaded rant of a self-aware sellout
he mocks himself for getting too preachy on the animal rights thing, he mocks himself for complaining about grimdark while indulging in it, he mocks himself for being bad at endings, and his final action is to give Buddy his family back after not too pages prior saying it would be a shitty bit of storytelling to do that
he even mocks himself for using his cat dying as inspiration for how to depict animal man's grief

not "pulled that off" but "christ, look at the mess I've made, and I still have nothing to show for it"

Sometimes I can't decide whether I like Morrison's run or Lemire's run more

I think I heard that the Marvel Now Deadpool run did something similar to this. Something about Deadpool yelling at the consumers of his comic book for being monsters, as them buying his comic is the reason his life is terrible and everybody he cares about dies for the sake of "drama". Not sure if it's legit, but it's a neat idea and I'd believe it.

only thing that comes to mind is Deadpool's Roast

unless it was in the issue with the continuity gem

Look at Morrison criticizing himself. I can almost believe it.

I lost my ability to believe in him as a humble, down-to-earth, self-aware person after he didn't put the kibosh on MorrisonCon.

The main difference between Moore and Morrison is that Moore is complex, while Morrison is mostly nothing but complicated.

My only gripe with Animal Man is that his kids never aged, and there's no in universe reason for it. Other characters age a little or have a reason why they don't that doesn't extend to the meta "they're in a comic book" answer. They could have at least bumped Cliff up to college and Maxine to high school. This thought never even occurred to me until I read 52. That means Swamp Thing's daughter who was much younger than Maxine is now older than her.

I think he's referring to the issue where Swampy meets the Darkness from before creation?
It gets kinda meta-textual?

Probably the one where Swamp Thing finds out he's not actually a human being trapped in a swampy body?

> but has no point of comparison with a-man.

yes it does, and he might as well be a superhero. He can both be a horror protagonist and a superhero at the same time you know. He is in JLA, he saves the world on a regular basis, and was a white lantern.

It's a fine run but I hate that Morrison just takes Animal Man and does nothing with him. He literally just uses him as an outlet for his own narrative.

At least his Batman run used the mythology of Batman to some degree.

Cerebus did it better. Fight me.

Morrison writes for people who want to justify liking superhero books while Moore/Millar/Miller/Milligan/Carey/Ostrander/Gerber/Sim write for people who just love superhero books

>At least his Batman run used the mythology of Batman to some degree.
And ruined Batman for many years to come.

Where does Howard Chaykin fit into this equation? Remember he was just as big as Moore, Miller and Morrison at the time. Granted, he didn't care much for writing cape stories.

Wile E. Coyote is Jesus Christ.

You can buy it. It's a pretty nice shirt.

>Deadpool's Roast
What issue is this?

Except Moore and Millar are the ones who come off as trying to justify liking superhero books. They try to make the books so "adult" that you can't possibly argue that the books are for children. "Look, Kid Marvelman gets buttraped by a bully and then skins innocent people! Comics are for adults, honest!"

Morrison's comics don't try to revise superheroes into something arbitrarily adult, he tries to show what makes the stories special to begin with. Try to justify superhero books with an explanation of Captain Carrot and the multiversal superteam "Justice Incarnate." Any non-capefag adult will laugh in your face. Tell them about how Ultimate Hank Pym is an insecure wife-beating narcissist and they might think you're on to something. Millar and Moore write superheroes for people who hate superheroes.

Its not Morrison's fault that Snyder is a hack.

Not as good as Doom Patrol.

I especially feel this way about his more recent comics. I liked Nameless and Annihilator but I had to re-read them multiple times (especially Nameless). Its not a complaint though. It incentives me to read them again and makes the books more enduring. There are some comics I really enjoy on a first read and then lose interest in upon returning to them. Morrison's comics are only more interesting on repeat reads.

I agree and get crucified. But while I'm dangling, I really loved 90% of N52 Animal Man

You're talking about Moore's early superhero comics. Read Moore's later superhero comics. They're not edgy, they're not trying to justify anything, they're just plain fun.

Moore got over that phase. Morrison never did.