Jack Vs. Jack (Old Design from 2001 Vs. 2017 version)

imgur.com/a/ILQKf

Seriously though, why did they white-wash Jack?

At first I thought they had to be doing something meta with it, like he was a ghost of his former self or something...but he's white even in the flashbacks, and to make it even stranger his parents still have the old skin tone.

I can only hope he'll start to yellow out as his hope restores or when he gets his sword back, but it's been a weird choice overall.

>jack has yellow skin

OMG ASIAN STEREOTYPE!!1!1

>jack has white skin

OMG WHITEWASHING!11!!

we can't win

It's weird, in Jack's Sandals young Jack looks white. Go watch it.

In the new episode, in the flashback with the archers, he was yellow

I like the new chin. The old one was absurdly rectangular. It's easier to take him more seriously now that his face structure looks like an actual warrior instead of a caricature of one.

I can see why they would change his skin color, it was laughably yellow, almost like those WW2 posters. But making him white was a misstep. They should have gone with a more realistic tone for an Asian man.

Literally the same episode

why do people think non-southeast asians have a different skin tone from europeans? they don't. just different eyelids and hair.
southeast asians get golden brown yeah, but that's just their equivalent of middle eastern people.

Nigga have you ever seen an east asian?

Is that Cassandra? Shes a babe!

Jack is just appearing differently because hes appearing as the story teller describes him.

literally this
I bet they thought they'd avoid a shitstorm by not making him yellow in 2017 (you know, since Japanese generally don't look like they 100% suffer from jaundice)

See this They're woefully inconsistent

Come on now, this isn't a political issue, it's an issue of consistency. It's jarring to see a character's design change halfway through.

Jack is jacked

Samurai Jack this season has used a lot of weird lighting in various scenes. Jacks skin tone changes radically based on the lighting conditions.

They did this a bit in the original series but they're really using it a lot in season 5. As a result his skin changes a lot between yellow and light peach depending on the conditions

>>jack has yellow skin
>OMG ASIAN STEREOTYPE!!1!1
Nobody said that you retard. We liked the yellow skin tone.

There's some truth to what you're saying, but it only really applies to the Japanese and the the Koreans.

Because people think "Asian" begins at Korea and ends at Japan. Non-African Middle-Easterners and Northern Indians not only look white (and any Persian descendants are literally Caucasian) but the American census bureau considers them white.

It's a weird issue, aside from Jack flip flopping from being yellow and white, Scaramouche's eyes were flip flopping from being white to blue.

Also, I think this dude is just straight up not finished.

Looking at how faithful Scotsman looks, I think it was an intentional decision from Genndy's part to change some of Jack's visual details (mostly his face).

I guess because the older design wouldn't fit too well with the darker tone of the new season.

His body is one shade of beige off from the bg. Poor color choice there.

And eyes too. Weird choice.

It looked better when he was moving

I bet they used whatever shitty program they used for the new PPG on the new Jack. Its all automatic to save time and money and it sucks dick

His skin color was always inconsistent in the old seasons.

Both shows are probably made in Adobe Flash

it's kind of weird how his parents both have a generically yellow skin colour in the new series

Looks too handdrawn. Probably tvpaint or some shit.

Because japanese people arent yellow

It's a matter of color schemes per shot. Which looks better in the overall composition? The yellow skin would have seem way more sickly looking up against a dark blue background, so they went with pale peach.

It's inconsistent, but they're most likely playing it up to style like a painter or something.

Well, that's at least par for the course for them. They were yellowy in the old series as well.

Mind you, these minor things don't bother me at all. At least Jack still looks like Jack.