Why didn't Elrond just take the ring from Isildur right then and there?

Why didn't Elrond just take the ring from Isildur right then and there?

Because elves are pussies. Isildur would have fucked him up.

Because Isildur would have killed him
nah not really, the plot just required it

Because Peter Jackson is a hack

Isildur had the ring of power. No way Elrond could have outmatched him.

Isildur had the ring, he could have easily killed Elrond.

Did this not happen in the books? Serious question.

>Implying Elrond would have done a better job of resisting it
Even if he had, he wouldn't have been able to destroy it.

Elf boi had not enough self confidence to order Isilchad to do it.

Sort of. In the movie they show them in the volcano and that doesn't happen in the book.

No

This. They'd be well matched.

Also it would cause war between elves and men if he killed their king probably.

The specific scene, located inside Mt Doom does not. I can't remember if Elrond even knew Isildur took the ring until later.

The Virgin Elrond vs The Chad Isildur

It's both Elrond and Cirdan telling Isildur to destroy the ring.

I'm a filmfag and my memory is blurry but people are saying it's cause Isildur had the ring but frodo carries the ring too and it never gives him fighting prowess.

Is it because humans are so weak that he was already corrupt? I feel like i'm missing a detail.
Also if that is the case how come Isildur got fucked by those orcs and jumped in the river instead of killing em all?

I apologize in advance for my autism.

ISILDOOOOOOOO!

The power of the ring is proportional to the one wielding it. That's why Frodo is the ring-bearer to begin with: he can't fuck up the world with if he tries. In the movies, Gandalf and Galadriel each specifically refuse to take the ring from him because they know that with their own power plus the ring they would become dark lords themselves.

He was very weak and fucked up by the ring, it's like a drug if you overuse it you can die.

isildur was a big guy

>wears ring of power for thousands of years, reaps the rewards of doing so
>his ring is the reason Rivendell is so prosperous and perfect
>his ring only works because Isildur didn't destroy the one ring
>after thousands of years of using his ring he is asked about what happened
>"dude fuck Isuldur for not destroying the ring"
What a prick

The ring gives you power in proportion to your own. And you need the will to dominate in order to draw on the strength of the ring. So theoretically Frodo could become really powerful if he choose to take the ring and dominate the world but he's a pansy hobbit who's biggest desire is second breakfast.

>is the captcha broken for anyone else?

This is completely wrong. Stop talking out of your ass. Using the ring too much does the opposite of kill you; it keeps you alive unnaturally long, and turns you into a shadow of your former self like Gollum.

>Isildur had the ring, he could have easily killed Elrond.

What would he do, become invisible? That'd give him an edge, but it wouldn't make him invincible.

could have Saruman BTFO Sauron if he managed to get the ring?

The absolute state of elf "males"

Isildur was like 16ft tall, he’d have absolutely rek’d elcuck and they both knew it

Then why did a couple of lowlife orks kill him? Was he wounded from battle or something?

Chadsildur

Wasn't it impossible to destroy in the first place, even if Elrond would try to push Isildur into the lava? The Ring only got destroyed by the help of Eru who thought it was about time to intervene when Gollum and Frodo were fighting.

The ring doesn't turn everyone invisible. It'd probably make him ultra strong or something like that.

>could have Saruman BTFO Sauron if he managed to get the ring?

Yes. Saruman was pretty strong already. Combine that with Ring + uruk hai and he steam rolls over Sauron's garbage goblin armies. Then he absorbs Mordor and its armies into his own, and sets out to conquor the rest of Middle-earth.

Absolutely. They were both Maiar spirits of theoretically similar power, and Sauron poured most of his into the ring.

He trusted the ring to save him and it abandoned him. Did you watch the movie?

but the ring is basically a part of sauron isnt it? it would subvert things until sauron could take it back

Yea, pretty much. This user tried to point that out already, but the retards wanted to continue their B A N T Z instead of it being /thread

Elrond knew that he wasn't strong enough to resist the ring either, if it were in his possession. Similar to how Gandalf and Galadriel didn't even want to tough the thing

anyone with the will could BTFO Sauron if they got their hands on the Ring.. This was Sauron's greatest fear. The Ring is a metaphor, you see.

He was running from the orcs after they ambushed and killed his company, swimming in the river invisible. Then the ring betrayed him, it got bigger and slipped from his finger so he became visible. The orcs saw him and shot him full of arrows.

It will do jack shit to beings more powerful than Sauron, like Tom Bombadil. Some Maiar could definitely resist it.

Yes. Sauron controls the ring.

The ring betrayed him.
If you see the intro bit, when he jumps in the river he's invisible but then the rings gets off his finger. It doesn't slip, how the fuck would the ring slip off the finger, it fucking got off to reveal Isildur and get away.

The ring has a life of his own and it wants to be found.

>anyone
No way. Only Galadriel or the wizards.

metaphor of what?

7 ft tall actually. 7 ft is listed as the height of both Aragorns and isildur and was a common height of both numenorean men and noldor elves (the kind Eleond is) so while we don't know how tall Eleond is exactly it's likely he was about 7 ft tall as well.

actually yes really. isildur was even stronger than aragorn.
also killing isildur would have pissed off the remaining humans. imagine you fight a holy war and your king dies and then some elf faggot kills your prince right after the last battle.

Basically what he said in the books was "I'm actually gonna take this 'cause Gondor got shafted the hardest".
His dad had died in the battle fighting Sauron. Gonder was rekt, since before the alliance they were basically holding Sauron at bay unilaterally.
Then here comes this elf faggot, who's buddies only showed up at the last minute, to tell him to destroy the one thing that would've restored Gondor. Fuck Elrond, first age elves are stuck up cockgobblers.

what was tom bombadil?

>What would he do, become invisible? That'd give him an edge, but it wouldn't make him invincible.
sword fighting someone who is completely invisible is pretty fucking impossible

I'm pretty sure a weakass bitch like a Hobbit or a Man would be manipulated by the ring into trying, then at the last minute the ring would find a way to betray them and get back to Sauron. A strong being, like a Maiar or an Elf lord, could master the ring and use it to conquer Sauron, but in doing so they would inevitably become just another evil dark lord.

It's never explained, but I believe it is said that he is older than the elves and older than Gandalf, which would make him possibly as old as the gods (the Valar) themselves.

Not to mention him and elrond were cousins so elrond wouldn't kill him unless he absolutely had to

the ring is a metaphor for power, particularity power over others. in universe, the ring IS power. a major theme of the story is the corrupting nature of power. Tolkien believes that absolute power should not exist and should be destroyed by all means.

What would win, the ring or a nuclear bomb?

>What would win
Stopped reading there.

Couldn’t someone just make a scalpel out of diamond and use that to cut the ring?

Someone already tried. It didn’t work out so well for him

>power, particularity power over others
those aren't different at all

Neither is your mother.

you can have power over things that arent human

my mother isn't different to those dubs?

>you can have power over things that arent human
name one instance where having power over something that isn't human doesn't directly give you an advantage over other humans

>What would he do, become invisible
t. brainlet
The ring offers a lot more power than just turning you invisible

when every other human has the same power over that thing

To add on to , Tolkein talks a lot about the nature of power. He was a devout Catholic, and set up his world accordingly: Eru (God) has a monopoly on the power of creation, ie good power. He creates lesser beings, then lends them his power in varying degrees, and they create more things. But some of his creations become jealous of this power and want it for themselves. When they try to create things, separate from Eru's power, all they end up doing is ruining the pure creations that already exist and turning themselves into monsters. So yearning for power, regardless of what kind of power or how one intends to use it, is the source of all evil. That's the whole point of everything in Tolkein's fiction.

The swamp doesn't let itself be drained that easily.

nice crispy beer can

He was like 20 ft tall in the books wasn’t he?

I hate when Sup Forums talk about Lord of The Rings.
It's right-wing shit (for now), a bunch of religious Sup Forumstards aways starting popping up here and posting shit about the movie or Tolkien

All you had to do was ask.

Don't tempt me Peregrin! I've had two cans already and a functioning alcoholic wizard is never drunk, nor is he tipsy, he's buzzed precisely as he means to.

Why dont FAGGOTS leave well enough alone? Because they're faggots

thread ruined by Sup Forums

thanks

its hilarious cause back in the 70s lotrs was like a hippy thing, very leftist material about nature and stuff. now its used to say white western culture > others.

Special brew....ever has it been consumed by my four bears.

Orc detected

same reason it was probably a bad reason to get the eagles to fly to mordor; he would have been tempted by its power
The way the ring amplifies the wearer's power is proportionate to the race of the person. So if Gandalf or Saruman had got the ring they'd be on sauron's power level when he wore it. A human wearing the ring would have been powerful but not sauron level. Elves are higher up. Elrond would have been more powerful than isildur

>Elrond would have been more powerful than isildur
he didn't have the ring and isildur was probably the strongest human alive at the time

the ring can alter its size

Nigga, Isildur was Numenorean

I've always taken it as

power with ring = base power * desire and will to dominate

so the ring doesnt affect bombadil because he has no desire for domination but it really affects borimir (who wants to save Gondor) while faramir (who doesnt have eyes for power) can resist it

Answer me this.

Magic rings are I assume a pretty rare thing in Middle Earth

Gandalf is also a very wise wizard who knows Saurons ring is missing.

Therefore when on the rare occurrence he came across a magic ring on his travels did he not dedicate all his time learning everything about that ring?

Gandalf is directly responsible for countless deaths in Gondor

Not just any man. A Numenorian king.

he's still not too big to go over my knee.

This is true. Between Bilbo's birthday party, when Gandalf really started to suspect, and telling Frodo to leave, something like 15 years pass in the books. And then Frodo putzes about for like 6 months like there's no hurry.

You feel old, user. You don't look it, but you begin to feel it in your heart of hearts. Well-preserved indeed! Why, you feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
The ring keeps you alive, but it doesn't keep you in your prime.

>Two of the biggest armies ever assembled are partying outside Mt. Doom
>Elves are waiting on Elrond
>Men are waiting on Isildur
>They've lost thousands, but still toppled the world's greatest evil, and the One Ring got scooped up by one of their own
>Elrond walks out alone
>Men are confused
>"Hey, bro, where's Isildur, the heir to our throne and savior of the entire known world?"
>"Oh, him? I had to fuckin' throw him into the volcano because he wanted to make use of Sauron's super ring instead of destroying it. That's cool with everybody here, right?"
Look at their expressions in the OP pic. Isildur knows it's his and Elrond has no fucking idea what to do about it. Could he have even known at the time that Sauron was basically using the ring as a lifeline?

Elrond is literally a proud faggot that would sooner blame men for his own inaction than take any sort of responsibility

Yes.

Elrond explain pretty much what happened. Basically he says "he couldn't force himself to go against Isildur", or something like that.

Strange how most ````fans'''' don't remember that from the book.

Basically, you just fought a battle against the most evil dude with your buddy Isildur, which you both like and respect. He gets a rings from the big bad, potentially a dangerous ring, but you don't really know the true potential of that shit. You tell him to throw the ring in the lava, he doesn't.

What do you do? Break all your oath of friendship and your honor and take it forcefully from him? Nah.

There were lesser rings. Saruman convinced the council that the One was lost forever.

this scenario could actually make a fascinating alternate history for Middle Earth
I don't want it, but it's cool to think about

Think about how Isildur must feel holding the ring in his hands. He just killed the biggest baddie that ever was with his own sword and how he holds the ring of power in his grasp. He might not know exactly what the ring is but I know some part of Isildur realized that the ring could let him and his people dominate middle earth. Look at his smug mottherfucking face. Isildur knows exactly what he's doing.

>Isildur walks out with the ring
>Elves and men are confused
>"Hey, kingbro, didn't we assemble this massive host of elves and men to topple Sauron and destroy that WMD?"
>"Nah, s'good."
Nevermind Elrond, why didn't ANYBODY say something.

Apparently there are numerous magical rings, they're just never mentioned or shown. But basically, outside of the ones Sauron made, there's plenty of rings with slighter magical powers all over Middle-Earth.

It should be a comedy
>>"Hey, bro, where's Isildur, the heir to our throne and savior of the entire known world?"
>Uhhh bazinga *rides away on giant moose*

>Basically, you just fought a battle against the most evil dude with your buddy Isildur, which you both like and respect. He gets a rings from the big bad, potentially a dangerous ring, but you don't really know the true potential of that shit. You tell him to throw the ring in the lava, he doesn't.
>What do you do? Break all your oath of friendship and your honor and take it forcefully from him? Nah.
Tell him that the ring makes him look like a butt pirate. Bonus points if there's a girl nearby that breaks out into laughter. Isuldur would ditch that right the minute everyone turns around.

>Magic rings are I assume a pretty rare thing in Middle Earth

Nah. In the book, it is specifically said there are many lesser craft of rings. Many as in maybe several dozens, with their own powers.

If you were Gandalf, would you believe this ring that hobbit faggot found completely randomly was the One True Ring Of Ultimate Power or just a lesser ring of invisibility? The later, of course. The One Ring was lost centuries ago. What are the odds?

He feared the human warrior.