From a story, sound, character, animation and writing standpoint, are Japanese cartoons or western cartoons better?

From a story, sound, character, animation and writing standpoint, are Japanese cartoons or western cartoons better?

>Japanese cartoons

no

But western cartoons are made in Korea.

Some anime are also outsourced to Koreans, especially low budget ones.

Outsourcing doesn't count. Fucking autists.

Anime is better in every way, but you really have to be Japanese to enjoy it fully. I prefer cartoons for this reason.

>look at this cake I paid someone else to make. aren't I a fantasic chef.

Anime is better consistently in arguably all the categories, especially sound and animation.

Depends, the scale is very wide
The japanese have wider understanding and a willingness to accept animation as a storytelling form, whereas in the west the FUNNIES FOR KIDS mentality is still strong and limits the entire field. However a lot of the japanese product are cliched, the animation can be extremely lazy in places (stills being dragged around) peppered by flashes of bigger-effort animation, a lot of the narrative relies on stock archetypes and expression symbols like the sweatdrop etc.

The west has a lot of production muscle and when they really put in an effort the result can ve fantastic and fresh. But again, the FOR KIDS attitude affects things.

So both have their strenghts and weaknesses and trying to make definitive "which one is better" statements makes one a moron imo

As much as it makes me want to fucking kill myself, japanese animation beats western animation on almost every level.

Chinese 3d animations.

The self contained style, and defined beginning and end do seem to lend themselves to better stories in general. At the very least it could be a quit while youre ahead and suddenly youre
doing stupid shit like, splitting your main character into red and blue, or giving them an edgy phase.

>Or suddenly

Anime is better but there's something appealing about Western animation I can't quite pinpoint. This is why my favorite anime have a "Western flavor".

>Western flavor
I love Cowboy Bebop, PSG, that type of shit.

>story
anime is pretty episodic, even the comedy shows, while western cartoons have a different style where 2 or 3 key episodes deal with the overarching plot and the rest are filler.

So in that sense you get lost really easy if you jump into anime in the middle, western cartoons don't really do this anymore because someone thinks it hurts rerun opportunity.

>sound
depends on the show

>animation
anime when done well hits really hard and really on the mark but it's all very samey, western cartoon offer tons of variety and creativity you don't get in anime.

>writing
anime has much more creative writing as they're allowed more freedom and aren't necessarily forced into 5 archetypes while western cartoons are stupidly limited on what each character is allowed to be based on race, religion, sex, etc.

You can't have a black teenager be a bad guy in western cartoons, you can't have one of the principle female characters be a comical ditz and I mean straight up ditz not a capable ditz like Star Butterfly, you can't have a protagonist cast without featuring at least one person of the opposite sex.

>story, sounds, character, animation and writing standpoint
Why not just outright ask which is better, your list is just describing all the other elements of a show.

>Muh first superhero was a Japanese creation he came before Superman Nihon Stronk

Laughing Mask from the Iron Claw serial, Margo Mesmer, several ERB characters like Solomon Kane and Tarzan, and Philip Wylie's Hugo Danner came before Golden Bat.

On average, anime is better on everything but writing, but the best cartoons are often better than the best anime has to offer. Except for music, that is.

It's a personal bias that favors your sensibilities, created by the environment you grew up in.

Lot of animu as well to be fair.

I think it really just comes down to what you're looking for. Anime/manga series, while some can be incredibly long, focus on an arc so you assume an ending. Western comics don't do that necessarily. And it's not just the fact of "oh it's so and so's book they'll come back" so much as that isn't how the story is written. Especially because with expanded universes, there is always something there even if the hero dies. There almost has to be a mantel for a legacy to pick up because the greater universe has need for a new hero to take that place.

in anime and manga it seems more like this is the character or cast and we'll follow them for this story. sometimes they revisit it with a sequal series, like GiTS or gundam, but a lot of times its just a story. Even with Naruto or One Piece or DBZ there was always a presumed ending.